Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn't hurt to see Charles as a grandfather a little more.

People would enjoy seeing him with George and Charlotte and the new baby to come, more than once a year at the annual Trooping of the Colour.

I'd like to see the Charles and Camilla and the Cambridge family do an annual tour of Wales or around the other regions of the U.K. It would not only be beautiful to see the whole family together, but the people would welcome them with open arms and great happiness.

The family is rather distant from each other publicly.

Again, I'm not saying Charles don't spend time with the kids at home. The family was just up at Balmoral.

Most people don't interact personally a lot with their family in their public and professional lives. Why should Charles be any different? We don't need to see him as a grandfather. Those that do need to see him as a grandfather are um... oh yah... the grandchildren. ;)

Well, it would create a lot of positive buzz for Charles. In the PR sense, it wouldn't be a bad move at all.

People do want to see Charles as a grandfather, but they really don't get a chance to see it.

no they don't At least, I don't. its up to him, how much time he spends with his grandchildren

Most people don't interact personally a lot with their family in their public and professional lives. Why should Charles be any different? We don't need to see him as a grandfather. Those that do need to see him as a grandfather are um... oh yah... the grandchildren. ;)

With the slimming down of the royal family, especially in the future, it's important for the public to see the future King with his family, Osipi.

Seeing Charles with his grandkids in public more than once, won't take away from their private time.

why do you want to see it? They are 2 small children who should IMO be shielded from being shown off in public as much as humanly possible. We see tehm a bit, and that's IMO more than enough for the poor little kids.
Why is it important? WE know he spends some time with them, we will see them together on very rare occasions when there is a good reason, such as Trooping the Colour or the Chirstmas walk to church.

With the slimming down of the royal family, especially in the future, it's important for the public to see the future King with his family, Osipi.

Seeing Charles with his grandkids in public more than once, won't take away from their private time.

There are specific times when we do see them all together such as Trooping the Color. We see them all together en famille when there's a wedding or a funeral or a christening. In other words, family events that allow access to the public.

Charles and his grandchildren aren't a dog and pony show to be put on for the gaping masses. The Cambridges are pretty strict as it is about how often their children are seen in public and I think both Charles and the Cambridges would be aghast at the suggestion that they all be paraded because the public wants to "see" them. This is just my opinion though and formulated on how the Cambridge children have been treated as far as the public so far.

Question: How many of you would parade your family around in public because people want to "see" you and your family. I sure wouldn't want to do that nor do I think any of my family would.

ETA: This "slimming" down of the monarchy as being something that Charles is going to implement has to be the biggest unsubstantiated rumor of the British monarchy today. I don't think there are any credible sources that give Charles as actually stating this as fact.

Last edited:
:previous:Darn but that is a very perfect comment..........about time people get over this wanting to know every thing about the royal family......want to know how many times a day they use the loo or how many times they want a cup of tea or glass of whiskey or how often they change their clothes and who does the laundry.....good grief it is almost like stalking them to know what they are doing 24/7 and do not think any one else would love to be in their shoes when this happens.....:whistling:

Agree Osipi's comment is spot on. so intrusive as even to work out the time of conception of royal babies.

Chill pill required if people need to know that!

Sorry - I did not mean to stir up the dust to this extent.

But I have to point out that the Queen had that great photo this year with the grand and great grands of a young age (the photo with Mia holding the purse) and that was not proclaimed a dog and pony show.

I think most of us take multigenerational pictures and share them and they become important remembrances of a point in time for the family. I think giving the public meaningful multigenerational pictures can enhance the solidity of the family in the public perception.

The Royal family is the family touchstone for the Realm. Maybe they would be smart to realize that Trooping and Christmas Church, etc. photos generate a lot of good will for the monarchy. And that it might be smart to let Charles be seen with the family small fry.

Or not. But it is worth the family consideration.

I think people are getting the wrong idea here:

No one think the family should just Parade themselves before the masses.

No think of the family as a "dog and pony show."

It just wouldnt hurt to see Charles, Camilla and the Cambridge family together more than just once a year during the Trooping.

Princess Anne is one of the most busiest royals out there. You can't keep up with that woman, but at least we do get a chance to see her as a grandmother more than once a year.

Now, just maybe the Wales and Cambridge family prefer to be a little distant in public. Only coming together for the odd engagement and major family events.

Last edited:
What I really don't get is why the general masses have this extraordinary impulse to know everything and anything about these people.

Because some people have gotten used to certain celebrities oversharing personal information and assume everyone in the public eye should be as eager to share. Probably some of them overshare themselves on facebook and other social media.

Last edited:
Sorry - I did not mean to stir up the dust to this extent.

But I have to point out that the Queen had that great photo this year with the grand and great grands of a young age (the photo with Mia holding the purse) and that was not proclaimed a dog and pony show.

I think most of us take multigenerational pictures and share them and they become important remembrances of a point in time for the family. I think giving the public meaningful multigenerational pictures can enhance the solidity of the family in the public perception.

The Royal family is the family touchstone for the Realm. Maybe they would be smart to realize that Trooping and Christmas Church, etc. photos generate a lot of good will for the monarchy. And that it might be smart to let Charles be seen with the family small fry.

Or not. But it is worth the family consideration.

I agree royalty is all about family and the passing down of the crown so why wouldn't we have photos of the family. Personally I couldn't care less about photos of Charles but understand photos of him and his heirs should be taken as part of the BRF history ( video would be good too )

I think people are getting the wrong idea here:

No one think the family should just Parade themselves before the masses.

No think of the family as a "dog and pony show."

It just wouldnt hurt to see Charles, Camilla and the Cambridge family together more than just once a year during the Trooping.

Princess Anne is one of the most busiest royals out there. You can't keep up with that woman, but at least we do get a chance to see her as a grandmother more than once a year.

Now, just maybe the Wales and Cambridge family prefer to be a little distant in public. Only coming together for the odd engagement and major family events.

I think you've hit on something here. When Charles, Camilla and the Cambridges are out and about at engagements or in public, they're out there for a specific reason and to them its the definition of being a "working" royal. Its what they do.

When we think back to what this family has gone through with their lives being on public display and every innuendo and speculation and sordid detail has been fodder for the press for so very long, is it any wonder that these people draw a definitive red line between their public and private lives?

Just a thought.

I think you've hit on something here. When Charles, Camilla and the Cambridges are out and about at engagements or in public, they're out there for a specific reason and to them its the definition of being a "working" royal. Its what they do.

When we think back to what this family has gone through with their lives being on public display and every innuendo and speculation and sordid detail has been fodder for the press for so very long, is it any wonder that these people draw a definitive red line between their public and private lives?

Just a thought.

That's a good point. I do think William prefer to let his father exist in his own world and William and his family do their thing in their world. They come together for official reasons and see each other for private family gatherings.

The British royals have always been more odd than their European royal counterparts.

While under the right circumstances it would be nice to see photos of Charles and his grandchildren interacting, I can't think of any public type of event where it would naturally occur at the children's current ages.
Princess Anne has a horse event at her home and her family all attend other family friendly horse events because Zara competes. Naturally occurring public events.

I agree royalty is all about family and the passing down of the crown so why wouldn't we have photos of the family. Personally I couldn't care less about photos of Charles but understand photos of him and his heirs should be taken as part of the BRF history ( video would be good too )

These may very well exist and just haven't yet been released, like much of the footage we see released of the Queen and her family around special occasions. We might see footage of Charles playing with the kids years from now released to mark special moments.

That's a good point. I do think William prefer to let his father exist in his own world and William and his family do their thing in their world. They come together for official reasons and see each other for private family gatherings.

The British royals have always been more odd than their European royal counterparts.

Not more odd - they cherish their privacy because of the pressures on it.

What is strange to me is that everything that is difficult about being a member of the BRF is generated by "fans" **. Pressure to know every last little detail about their lives. But it is natural for all of us to keep something of ourselves to ourselves.

(**This is different from being a royal historian, interested in royal history, or a monarchist)

The Queen and heirs 2016

The fascinating story behind Prince George's first stamp*

George and Grandpa Charles

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/03/20/270CAD6C00000578-0-image-m-5_1435951939027.jpg

Family at Charlotte's Christening 2015

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/09/15/2A60C3FD00000578-3154787-image-a-10_1436451023691.jpg

Last edited:
Not more odd - they cherish their privacy because of the pressures on it.

What is strange to me is that everything that is difficult about being a member of the BRF is generated by "fans" **. Pressure to know every last little detail about their lives. But it is natural for all of us to keep something of ourselves to ourselves.

(**This is different from being a royal historian, interested in royal history, or a monarchist)

Speaking for myself:

I don't expect to know every detail of the British royal family's lives. I completely respect their quest for privacy at all times. I don't think they should over share like some celebrities often do.

I'm just pointing out that it wouldn't hurt to see Charles with his grandkids more than once a year.

Family day at the polo match, family enjoying a welsh regional tour, family out enjoying the Royal Windsor Horse show or attending the Mey Highland Games, isn't all that bad.

To point out,

The next time we'll likely see Charles with his grandkids...the Christening of his new grandchild. Then at the Trooping. That will be about it.

One reason we don't see the Cambridge children with Charles is Camilla. The Diana fans would go into meltdown if she was ever seen to be touching one of Diana's grandchildren accusing her of all sorts of things.

As a result, outside of Trooping and Christenings and major family occasions we won't be seeing the Cambridge children with Charles and Camilla - with Charles maybe but the sorts of events where it would be possible to see them with Charles are ones where Camilla is usually also present e.g. polo so no Cambridge children.

It would be even more damaging to Charles' popularity than the princes stories this summer about how they were given no help when their mother died and the late documentary saying the opposite was way too little and way too late. This entire year has been a PR nightmare for Charles and Camilla so seeing them with the children now wouldn't be a good thing at all as it would backfire and rather than being good it would do even more harm in what has to be one of the worst years for Charles in terms of PR and popularity.

Next year there maybe a church service or other event for Charles' 70th birthday and so a chance for him to be seen with maybe George although at 5 he may still be regarded as too young for official events like that.

Last edited:
Maybe there is the thought that the children would upstage Charles if they had a photo call like the Danish.

One reason we don't see the Cambridge children with Charles is Camilla. The Diana fans would go into meltdown if she was ever seen to be touching one of Diana's grandchildren accusing her of all sorts of things.

As a result, outside of Trooping and Christenings and major family occasions we won't be seeing the Cambridge children with Charles and Camilla - with Charles maybe but the sorts of events where it would be possible to see them with Charles are ones where Camilla is usually also present e.g. polo so no Cambridge children.

It would be even more damaging to Charles' popularity than the princes stories this summer about how they were given no help when their mother died and the late documentary saying the opposite was way too little and way too late. This entire year has been a PR nightmare for Charles and Camilla so seeing them with the children now wouldn't be a good thing at all as it would backfire and rather than being good it would do even more harm in what has to be one of the worst years for Charles in terms of PR and popularity.

Next year there maybe a church service or other event for Charles' 70th birthday and so a chance for him to be seen with maybe George although at 5 he may still be regarded as too young for official events like that.

Are we going to be having another brawl over the Charles, Camilla and Diana wars again? Why bring Diana up in this thread and blame Camilla for keeping Charles away from the grandchildren is just plain stupid and ridiculous. :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Iluvbertie does bring up a good point though. Camilla acting or looking like "Grandma Camilla" with the Cambridge kids is just asking for trouble from the press. They're wise to avoid it if you ask me.

Camilla is in the Cambridge wedding photos, she attended both Christening and is in the photos. She went to the hospital with Charles to see newborn George. Not really going out of the way to avoid it.

That's how it should be. That's how the public expects it to be. I think the issue with Camilla that Iluvbertie was referring to is candid family shots at a more or less private occasion.

Either way, its a fact that Camilla is George and Charlotte and Baby #3's step grandmother and should play an active role in their lives. Their private lives are the times to be grandma and Gan-Gan and such.

Thank you Osipi - that is exactly what I am saying.

It isn't that the Cambridge children aren't seeing Charles AND Camilla but that the Diana fans don't want to think or see Camilla anywhere near Diana's grandchildren and so it is easier for those visits to be done outside the public's gaze.

It is known that Camilla often spends time with her children and grandchildren without Charles, so no reason why Charles couldn't do the same (no clue whether he does or not).

From William's interview earlier this year it was clear that he does not consider Camilla one of his children's grandmothers.

Camilla isn't one of their grandmothers. It doesn't mean that she can't still have her own relationship with them. Does William and Harry think of Laura and Tom as siblings? Probably not.

We're starting to get all hot and bothered about something we actually know nothing about. We have no clue whatsoever what their personal relationships are like in private and that's where its best kept.

Think we should move on here??? :whistling:

Since Meghan isn't a member of the British royal family, I've deleted posts regarding Kate and her relationship with Meghan.

Last edited:
I'm new to forum so apologies first to all if I'm on wrong thread. I agree with many that an occasional pic of charles and grandchildren would be nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom