Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't he know things about his own grandson's life?

He does see him you know. Just because the trash magazines like to say otherwise doesn't make it true.

Sure I am no fan of either William or Harry and do believe that they aren't that close to their father but I also don't think William or Kate are that vindictive as to deny their children a chance to know their paternal grandfather.

There have been stories of George visiting Highgrove and planting things with Charles there etc etc.

Exactly, like this.

Prince Charles turns Highgrove gardens into playground for grandson George | Daily Mail Online

Even the Daily fail will admit time to time.

Why wouldn't he know things about his own grandson's life?

He does see him you know. Just because the trash magazines like to say otherwise doesn't make it true.

Sure I am no fan of either William or Harry and do believe that they aren't that close to their father but I also don't think William or Kate are that vindictive as to deny their children a chance to know their paternal grandfather.

There have been stories of George visiting Highgrove and planting things with Charles there etc etc.

I agree. But the posters can counter by saying, Charles doesn't attend George's birthday parties, Charles admitted he hasn't changed any diapers, etc.

But I think George and Charles have a fairly normal relationship. I don't think they have a special bond like QEQM and Charles had, at least not yet. But I would say they're likely just as close as Philip is with his grandchildren.

What credible sources do you have that makes this statement a fact rather than a dig at Charles? You have no more idea of how this family interacts privately than anyone else does. So... provide sources please? ?

I have no sources but it is known that Charles has never attended any of George's birthday parties and that speaks loudly to me about the relationship he has with his grandson. That doesn't mean he doesn't care about George, I think he is just indifferent. Nothing wrong with that. Some people just don't like small children.

I have no sources but it is known that Charles has never attended any of George's birthday parties and that speaks loudly to me about the relationship he has with his grandson. That doesn't mean he doesn't care about George, I think he is just indifferent. Nothing wrong with that. Some people just don't like small children.

Beyond judgemental and based on absolutely no knowledge. We have no idea about their personal relationship. Just because he doesn't attend birthday parties says nothing about the bond he has with them. I have had one birthday in eighteen years of childhood where a grandparent attended, one. Didn't make them indifferent.

My father didn't attend our last birthday parties and that does not mean he does not love us. It can be granted for sure he won't attend his grandchildren birthday parties, and he is absolutely fond of them. The common point with my father and the PoW ? They are both (a little bit) old school :lol:

There have been many sources that prove that he does have a relationship with his grandchildren. Pictures of him holding his step granddaughter. So, its unfair to say that Charles doesn't know what goes on in Charles' life which was your original statement. It also has been reported in places that Camilla does prefer to visit with her small grandchildren at Ray Mill where they can make a glorified mess if they want to. Charles, I guess, is a stickler for everything in its proper place and isn't one to overlook sticky fingers and hand prints on the walls and the general mess children make.

One thing about being here on TRF is that if statements are made that are from out in left field in a galaxy far, far away, you're going to be asked for sources to back your opinion up. Its all part of the TRF rules here on posting. We try to keep things on a factual basis here. Its why TRF has survived and flourished for a very long time. :D

Last edited:
The facts are Charles was in other places for George's 1st and 2nd Birthday. Other birthdays for George and Charlotte it was not reported where Charles was. It also been reported that George and George planted a tree at Highgrove. Mike Tindall talked about baby George and baby Mia meeting at Highgrove. So the Cambridges have visited Highgrove from time to time.

However, it doesn't really tell us if Charles is or isn't super close to his grandchildren. They don't really tells us their personal business. Charles could have called William when he was done to get the first day of school scoop or he didn't talk with William at all. We don't know.

I did chuckle at Charles call a 4 year old a old chap.

well indifferent would mean that he doesn't care.
I think he loves the kids but can problably take or leave noisy toddlers at a birthday party. He would most likely prefer to see them at times, in their own home or his, on a quiet Grandpa to children basis.

I don't think Charles is by any means indifferent. I found another article written a while back ago about the "playground" Charles has created at Highgrove for the kids. A lot of thought goes into something like this and it also shows thoughts of creating something for his own children. Its been mentioned a few times that Charles and Camilla do have family over for Sunday dinners at Clarence House when they can.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2015/07/prince-george-playground-hut-treehouse-highgrove-charles

As this is a thread for the education of the Cambridge children, I can think of no one better for them to go outside and putter around in nature with than Grandpa as I seriously believe that Charles would be more than happy, in fact, enthused about the idea of sharing what he knows, what he feels about nature and how things grow with his grandkids. :D

You don't need to see your grandparents a lot in order to have a relationship with them you know. My grandmother was quite older Charles is today when she was still alive and I was a kid, so she wasn't as mobile anymore as she wished to so my mother always ensured that I would get to speak to my grandmother on the phone to tell her the things I did or learned. She was the best grandmother a young girl could ask for, even though I didn't see her every day.

Charles doesn't seem the type of grandfather that feels like he should partly raise them and nor should he have to. My oldest nephew and niece don't see my parents very often at all because they live far away but they always come out running to see their granny and granddad.

And let's not pretend children's birthday parties aren't hell on earth. You can celebrate your grandchild's birthday without having to attend a party with dozens of playmates running around.

We're also forgetting a huge example of good education for the Cambridge children. Some of the most important things in life are not learned in the classroom.

Actions speak louder than words and teach far more than words on paper. What better example does George, a little kid that will one day walk in the shoes of his Gan-Gan, his grandpa and his father than living in a family environment where duty to crown and country and its people is not a phrase learned over and over by rote but seen as examples throughout his entire life?

George and Charlotte are growing up watching a very beloved grandmother as the most dutiful Queen the UK has perhaps ever known. He's watching his grandfather defining the term "The Prince of Wales" and his father being a central force in a stable family life while also taking his place as a full time working royal for the family "Firm".

To me, this really trumps birthday parties or fishing expeditions or sitting watching "Frozen" together which would just add to their enjoyment of those close to them.

Just a quick reminder after moving the most recent discussion across to this thread: it is expected that members are able to back-up their opinions with facts/sources. Adding an 'IMO' to your comment does not give you carte blanche to say whatever you like.

Charles should bond with his grandchildren.

Great-Uncle Andrew should also bond with his grandnephew and grandniece.

I know that I bonded with my grandaunt and granduncle.

I'm sure Margaret bonded with Beatrice, Zara, and her grandnephews, she loved Charles and Anne, she raised them in the 50s when her sister and brother-in-law were away.

Family is important.

I hope Alexandra has bonded with George and Charlotte.

Could you provide sources stating that they have or have not bonded with each other? Their private lives are just that and they conduct their private lives as they see fit and its not something for public consumption.

Lets stick to what we do know about from credible sources please? :D

I'm sure Charles does spend time with his grandchildren. It's just the Wales and Cambridge branch don't come off as a united family. The distance and lack of family public interactions leave room for people to think there's rifts going on.

Westfield, forgive me you don't really seem to understand how compartmentalised the lives of royals really are, or just how busy many of them are, not just with Royal duties but with their own lives.

Do you 'bond' with second or third cousins several times removed who don't live near you or where there's a considerable age gap? Do most people? Why should royals be any different?

The Queen has a huge extended family. Most see each other on a few occasions only, (so far as we know) apart from their own family of course. One of those occasions is the family lunch held before Xmas at Buckingham Palace for the Queen's relatives. Others might see each other on the odd occasion, Royal Ascot, the Trooping etc or if they're invited to Sandringham or Balmoral.

Unheralded, just drop in, casual sorts of visits to each other were unknown among members of the BRF in the past, because of formal politeness and busy schedules. I doubt very much if they do it much now, perhaps Anne/Charles on the odd occasion, Harry/William/Kate and the Tindalls (yes I know they aren't Royal) maybe the Yorks, and that would be it, I should think.

Last edited:
Westfield, you also keep repeating that Princess Margaret 'raised' Charles and Anne when they were young and their parents were away. She didn't. Apart from Charles and Anne having a beloved nanny Anderson, they would, according to every biography I've ever read, stay with the Queen Mother, notably at her homes at Royal Lodge and Clarence House. She would take them to farms and other places of interest that they really enjoyed.

Of course Margaret shared the QM's homes at that time and so she was there. Of course she loved her then only nephew and niece and no doubt helped entertain them with board and card games and so on. That however, is very far from 'raising' her niece and nephew, and in my view Charles, who adored his grandmother and always treasured their times together, would challenge your statements.

Last edited:
Charles should bond with his grandchildren.

And what makes you think he does not? Just because the public does not see him spend time with his family does not mean that he does not.

Last edited:
Why should they BOND??
Yes family is important, but so are other relationships. THe RF DO problaby stay in touch more with "third cousins once removed" than most of us do, but that's because of the fact that (a) they have money to travel and visit more than most of us and (b) they do depend on "the family" as a support system, a bit more than most of us do. because they are royal ie in a unique postion and so their relatives have a better idea what their problems are, than other people outside the RF.
However, while I think they DO spend a bit more time togehter than Many Families they still have busy lives and they have other relationships as well. Charles is a very busy hyperactive man. he has a wife, his 2 sons and 2 grandchildren.. AND he also has a lot of work on, a large cirlcle of friends and time is limited.
its up to him, how much time he spends with the little ones and I think that while they are very lilttle, he is content to see them but not all the time. He will problaby spend more time with them as they get older...
I don't think he's the kind of granddad who is happy with the little tykes write with crayons on the wall, so he probably sees them, enjoys being with them and is content to go back to his own life when they go.
Anyway its his business.
I agree that I've never heard of Margo "Raising" Charles and Anne or even being esp close to them.
in that time, it wasn't uncommon if parents had to be away, for tours for the grandparents to step in, but there was always a couple of nannies around anyway. And nowadays, Will and Kate take the children with them on tours.

Instead of Margaret raising Charles and Anne, the more true statement is the Queen raised David and Sarah. The Snowden children were often left with the Queen for school holidays as Margaret went to Mustique or somewhere else.

Instead of Margaret raising Charles and Anne, the more true statement is the Queen raised David and Sarah. The Snowden children were often left with the Queen for school holidays as Margaret went to Mustique or somewhere else.

To be fair, Les Jolies Eaux, Princess Margaret's house on Mustique only was completed when David was 12/13 years old and at that time he already enrolled Millbrook House School (a boarding school).

Whatever the contribution was of Princess Margaret, or Antony Armstrong-Jones, or their aunt Queen Elizabeth: both David and Sarah seem to have developed into well-educated, well-conscious and well-assured adults. More so than their royal cousins, I dare to say.

Whatever the contribution was of Princess Margaret, or Antony Armstrong-Jones, or their aunt Queen Elizabeth: both David and Sarah seem to have developed into well-educated, well-conscious and well-assured adults. More so than their royal cousins, I dare to say.

Which of their royal cousins, in your opinion are less "well-educated, well-conscious and well-assured adults" than David and Sarah?

And what makes you think he does not? Just because the public does not see him spend time with his family does not mean that he does not.

Good points muriel. We only see such a small fraction of their lives so we don't know what is happening behind the scenes.

People do want to see Charles as a grandfather, but they really don't get a chance to see it.

Which of their royal cousins, in your opinion are less "well-educated, well-conscious and well-assured adults" than David and Sarah?

Andrew, Charles, Edward. A numb, a whimp and a goof for a long time. Luckily they have progressed indeed, especially thanks to their wives, I think. Of course this is a 100% personal observation. Others will have a total different characterization.

Andrew, Charles, Edward. A numb, a whimp and a goof for a long time. Luckily they have progressed indeed, especially thanks to their wives, I think. Of course this is a 100% personal observation. Others will have a total different characterization.

You are obviously entitled to your own view. Do you know enough about David and Sarah to be sure they are also not "A numb, a whimp and a goof", especially in relation to their royal cousins? Is your statement based on their achievements professionally or personally? Is it based on information relating to all 6 cousins in the public domain or is it based on private infiormation you are privy to?

Last edited:
People do want to see Charles as a grandfather, but they really don't get a chance to see it.

So, if the family added an annual Charles and the Kids photo release, it would also ease some of the "the Cambridges don't let their children be seen" angst. Just a thought.

Last edited:
What I really don't get is why the general masses have this extraordinary impulse to know everything and anything about these people.

As if someone should be standing next to them 24/7 taking notes on how often Charles calls his kids or how many times a year certain members have a right royal fight and disagreement. Or even be brazen enough to suggest that so-and-so should be bosom buddies with a great aunt 30 years their senior because they're "family". To build up assumptions on what is seen by the general public is like being on an ocean liner and stating that there is just a little blob of ice ahead. No problem. A lot of that ice was below the waterline and not visible to really make a good assessment of and was gauged totally wrong. Its the same with the BRF. Their lives are mostly lived behind closed doors shutting us out.

We're not staging a stage play here and these people in the royal family are not puppets. We're not the authors of their lives nor are we in any position to even think of what they should do, be like, who they should spend time with or anything regarding their private lives.

Personally, I'm happy with watching them interact in public by themselves, with close family and extended family when we're allowed by them to get a glimpse into their lives. There's plenty enough of that around to observe and discuss without trying to organize their personal lives and relationships into something we deem should be or demanding to know more than they are willing to share with the public.

:previous:Darn but that is a very perfect comment..........about time people get over this wanting to know every thing about the royal family......want to know how many times a day they use the loo or how many times they want a cup of tea or glass of whiskey or how often they change their clothes and who does the laundry.....good grief it is almost like stalking them to know what they are doing 24/7 and do not think any one else would love to be in their shoes when this happens.....:whistling:

So, if the family added an annual Charles and the Kids photo release, it would also ease some of the "the Cambridges don't let their children be seen" angst. Just a thought.

It wouldn't hurt to see Charles as a grandfather a little more.

People would enjoy seeing him with George and Charlotte and the new baby to come, more than once a year at the annual Trooping of the Colour.

I'd like to see the Charles and Camilla and the Cambridge family do an annual tour of Wales or around the other regions of the U.K. It would not only be beautiful to see the whole family together, but the people would welcome them with open arms and great happiness.

The family is rather distant from each other publicly.

Again, I'm not saying Charles don't spend time with the kids at home. The family was just up at Balmoral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom