Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont believe that the Queen Mother ignored Harry she just spent extra time with William as a result of his position.

In regards to Charles, I have only heard that rumour from those authors. Personally, I am not a big fan of Charles, but I have always admired they way he raised William and Harry after Diana's death. You only have to look at the three of the interacting to tell that he loves them equally. They clearly adore their father and the feeling is mutual.

I don't believe he has ignored Harry. I think most of that is rubbish.

I agree with you Zonk. Seeing how they all interact they have a very loving relationship. And I remember seeing pictures of Charles with a young Harry and both seemed affectionate. I had heard about the Queen Mother favouring William over Harry as she did Charles over the others. It seemed to have to do with her age or at least that is what was blamed.

Well in defense of the Queen Mother and Charles (and as an eldest grandchild myself), I think some grandmothers develop a special relationship with the first grandchild. You must remember that the Queen became Queen when Charles and Anne were very young..and when she and Phillip did the tours (because the King couldn't) ....the kids stayed with them (King George VI and Queen Elizabeth). I mean, of course the nannies were around but you get my point. So in addition to knowing very well (as a result of her husband and daughter) she spent a lot of time with Charles. They had a very special relationship. Just like the current Queen when William was at Scotland spent special time with William. Doesn't mean that she loves William more than Peter, Zara, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and James...it just means he has a different role than the others.

Anne upon reflection (and she was a Daddy's girl) of the Queen Mother's death said it wasn't until she was older that she appreciated the Queen Mother so that makes me think they kind of butted heads or were just different people. Anne being Anne - independent, into horses, not a girls girl and the Queen Mother - tradition, duty and a girls girl. If that makes sense.

I believe the Queen Mother was extremely close to Princess Margaret's children - David and Sarah...but that is also because they were around more and she was probably compensating for the issues that led to Margaret and Tony's divorce.

I don't think she was as close to Andrew and Edward because they came along when the Queen was more settled in her role and she became a better mother. I hate to say that cause I don't think she was bad she just became better with Andrew and Edward. So they probably saw the Queen Mother but didn't spend as much time with her as Charles, David, Sarah and maybe Anne.

If anyone can recall reading this, (not a great quote) "that when William and Harry would come and see her, the Queen Mother would say to William 'come sit next to me' and completely ignoring Harry. You can blame it on being a tabloid creation by Katie, but again I have read it in at least two books.
You would think a woman who married a second son who ended up becoming Queen would realize that birthing order doesn't mean everything.

Zonk

I pretty much agree with you. I was the youngest grandchild in my mother's family.

My grandmother's favorite was a boy in the middle of the birth order, he was her favorite because his father was never part of his life since he was one year old. Her daughter had multiple marriages after his birth and lived a great deal of his and his younger brother's childhood as a divorced woman. Both my grandfather and grandmother worried about both of them, but especially the older one, the younger one did have a father in his life.

My grandmother loved me dearly, I knew that, but her time and attention was often focused on my older cousin and that was ok.

I am sure the Queen Mother loved all her grandchildren, Charles and William would both receive special attention due to their future life roles in the Monarchy. Add into that equation that Charles was an extremely sensitive boy and I understand there was not a strong bond between him and his father, I can see the Queen Mother seeking to provide love and support to him as he was developing. William lost his mother at a very young age as well, same scenario with the Queen Mother.

I am left to wonder who, if anyone, stepped into her love and support role within that family once she passed. I am very glad that Charles has Camilla and William has Catherine, very happy.

If anyone can recall reading this, (not a great quote) "that when William and Harry would come and see her, the Queen Mother would say to William 'come sit next to me' and completely ignoring Harry. You can blame it on being a tabloid creation by Katie, but again I have read it in at least two books.
You would think a woman who married a second son who ended up becoming Queen would realize that birthing order doesn't mean everything.

Just because you read it in two books doesn't make it true...it just means a bad rumour that has been repeated. I would definitely consider the source.

Some take BIG liberties when writing. For example, one author in his book on William and Catherine explained the scene where the Queen corners William in BP to ask is it true that he got back with Catherine, all while she is standing there with her handbag. How would he know that? And I am sorry certain authors have no credibility with me at least.

Last edited:
I never once said it was true. I am asking has anyone else heard about this and these situations and theories. And if others have heard it, what do you make of it.

Im going to switch to another member;I wonder what kind of relationship Kate has with Elizabeth II.I wonder if she calls her Majesty,M'am or Grandma!

By the way,did Diana ever call her mother in law "Mum" or anything related to that?

I read something in a Kate & William book about about Prince Charles ignoring Harry. A friend of Kate's who was an old friend of William's told Kate (before she had met any of William's family) how sad it was to see the way PC ignored Harry. I never read anything about the Queen Mother doing the same.

Evidence is to the contrary - at least evidence that one can observe. I just spent some time on YouTube trying to track down a video but couldn't find it. I'll keep looking but just to say its the tail end of a documentary and shows Charles and Diana with their very young children - Harry is a toddler, William does some banging on the piano, and in general the two boys run all over the place, over the photographers, etc, playing - and you very clearly see the interactions of the boys with both parents.

What's clear is that both boys related well to both parents, but it also comes across that William was very much his mother's boy - and Harry was all over Charles, seemed to prefer him, in fact. If Diana went to hold Harry he squirmed away and was off and running to Charles who showed himself to be a very affectionate father, scoopping Harry up, playing a peek-a-boo game with him, etc. Harry seemed comfortable and happy in Charles' arms - whereas William would always run to mother.

Plus over the years the Christmas card photos showed Harry always physically close to his father - his hand on his father's shoulder and so forth. Remember at the viewing of the flowers left for Diana Harry held his father's hand. It seems to be a very strong relationship.

It makes sense that the first born William would be his mother's favorite, resulting in the second born bonding more with the father. Classic family dynamics there.

Ok, Im sorry but there is not a definitive way that parents react to their children. My father was his mother's favorite and he was the youngest. My mother was her mother's favorite and she was the oldest. A parents favorite depends on personality and relationship, not birthing order and a rule book.
As for "Charles ignoring Harry" I never believed it because from what Ive seen pictures and videos spoke to the contrary. Harry was glued to Charles when they were forced to go out in public and view the cards and flowers left after Diana died. I dont know how anyone could forget seeing Charles holding hands with his son and come up with a lie, like he ignores him.

Ok, Im sorry but there is not a definitive way that parents react to their children. My father was his mother's favorite and he was the youngest. My mother was her mother's favorite and she was the oldest. A parents favorite depends on personality and relationship, not birthing order and a rule book.

We don't have to clash over something so tiny. Did not mean to upset you - if I have - I may be misreading your reply.

There are observed dynamics and its always a continuum with the whole gamut - but they do tend to clump. In my experience, the oldest born is usually special for both parents, the oldest born son of a woman (no matter birth order) is usually special, one way or another. The youngest born daughter usually has a special place in a father's heart. These are not absolutes - of course everyone is unique. Its just when you look at a continuum you see tendencies.

The Queen and the York Sisters

I was wondering what kind of a rapport the Queen shares with Princess Beatrice and Eugenie.

First their security was taken away. While most of the royal family was awarded the Queens diamond jubilee medal, the York sisters were left out.

To me it seems that the sisters are included in ceremonies like Trooping the color and royal weddings only because they are Prince Andrews daughters.

First their security was taken away. While most of the royal family was awarded the Queens diamond jubilee medal, the York sisters were left out.
Have they even attended a formal event where we could see that they did not receive the Jubilee Medal?

Have they even attended a formal event where we could see that they did not receive the Jubilee Medal?

I checked on Wikipedia and tried to google as well.
While I understand Wikipedia may not be the most reliable source of information, every website I went through named the same recipients as I could find on Wikipedia.

IMO I'm sure they haven't been given the medal, since more often than not they aren't given the importance that her other grandchildren do.
( I know we can start a discussion on how they do nothing and blah blah, but that's another story )

Seems unlikely to me that they would not receive it since at past jubilees medals have been given to lesser royals such as Viscount Linley and the Gloucester girls.

I checked on Wikipedia and tried to google as well.
While I understand Wikipedia may not be the most reliable source of information, every website I went through named the same recipients as I could find on Wikipedia.
Peter Phillips, Zara Phillips, Viscount Severn and Lady Louise didn't receive the Jubilee Medal either.
The truth is, Princess Beatrice and Eugenie will have increasingly minor royal within the royal family, something akin to the Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.
They are highly unlikely to ever become full-time working royals (and neither do they have to), so naturally they are never going to receive the same kind of attention as more senior royals.

Regarding the security, I doubt that was the Queen's personal decision; there was an outcry from public that two young ladies who do not work for the country receive 24/7 security, costing taxpayers hundreds of thousands of pounds.

I am quite certain Her Majesty loves all her grandchildren equally. :)

I was wondering what kind of a rapport the Queen shares with Princess Beatrice and Eugenie.
One thing we need to remember too is there is two different aspects to the relationship between the Queen and the York girls. One is within the parameters of the Firm and the other on a personal, familial basis. As of right now both Beatrice are not working royals for the Firm but then again neither are Kate and William full time working royals. I'm sure that when the Queen gave her address at Parliament and acknowledged the love and support of her family, ALL her family was meant. I really don't think in any way that this Granny would play favoritism with her grandchildren.

To be honest, I don't think I've read anywhere about any of the family receiving the Diamond Jubilee medal or have even seen it. Now I'm curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that Princess Michael of Kent isn't exactly the most loved family member, but I was wondering what Prince Michael, Lord Frederick and Lady Gabriella's relationship is with the rest of the family, does anyone know that?

I know that Princess Michael of Kent isn't exactly the most loved family member, but I was wondering what Prince Michael, Lord Frederick and Lady Gabriella's relationship is with the rest of the family, does anyone know that?

All I know is that Prince Michael was one of the favorite cousins of the Queen when he was young.Don't know for now...

One of the other things is that Prince Michael is in very good terms with his siblings and first cousins from Europe as they often compete who is going to tell the wickedest joke...when they are not together they do it via e-mail on almost daily basis!

How do we know who received the Jubilee medal by the way? I am curious to know who the recipients are?

It is a bit of a bummer if Beatrice and Eugenie did not recieve it and William and Harry have, but then again the Wales boys are the children of the Prince of Wales, they are more likely to be doing duties. The Princesses don't really do engagements, and if Charles has his way, will not be doing them at all. I can't see Peter, Zara, Louise or James ever getting the medal. The Wessex kids are far too young, obviously, and Peter and Zara aren't really "Royal".

I am sure the cousins all get on well in private. We have seen many images of them together joking. The older four appear to be slightly closer, mainly due to their similarity in age. The Yorks have just finished university, whereas the older 4 have grown up and have jobs etc. I always think it is a shame how much younger Louise and James are (something that obviously could not have been helped), but they will never likely be as close to their cousins as the other 6 were when they were younger. The fact that the older 6 visited Philip in hospital at Christmas without Louise and James was a bit of a bummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:Actually, it made perfect sense to me that Louise and James did not get to visit Prince Philip in the hospital. At their young age, it might have been too scary for them to understand.

Freddie seems close to the York girls, Beatrice especially. He's also been close to William when they both were at Eton (not sure how their relationship is nowadays). It seems that Freddie gets along very well with the family in general.
Gabriella once said that she and Freddie were close with William and Harry when they were children at KP, but I have no further info about Ella's relationships to the rest of the family.

As for Princess Michael - most of the old lines a la "the Queen thinks she's too grand for them" etc. are quoted wrongly and/or come from very old bios and it's not sure if they were ever true. I heard that Princess Michael in fact had a friendly relationship to Princess Diana in the last years of her life and that, meanwhile, the Queen enjoys her company and defended her after the "go back to the colonies" story in private. The Queen didn't believe that she said that, invited her to Ascot after the incident and gave her advices. It's mainly the media who rehashes the portrait of "Princess Pushy" in my opinion and in the opinion of some folks who should be in the know. ;)

All I know is that Prince Michael was one of the favorite cousins of the Queen when he was young.Don't know for now...

One of the other things is that Prince Michael is in very good terms with his siblings and first cousins from Europe as they often compete who is going to tell the wickedest joke...when they are not together they do it via e-mail on almost daily basis!

I think this hasn't changed. The Queen was always very fond of Michael and I'm fairly sure she still is. ;) Nice story about the wicked jokes!

I think this hasn't changed. The Queen was always very fond of Michael and I'm fairly sure she still is. ;) Nice story about the wicked jokes!

Princess Elizabeth of Yugolsavia told this story in an interview when asked about relationships with British royals...They all compete who will tell the funniest joke and when they are not around they do it via mail on regular basis...

She also said that Prince Charles enjoys those wicked jokes too,but that he doesn't always participate as he doesn't know(or maybe doesn't bother) how to communicate through computers and internet...

When asked how does he communicate with people she said through secretary...or by phone with ones he is close to!

How do we know who received the Jubilee medal by the way? I am curious to know who the recipients are?

It is a bit of a bummer if Beatrice and Eugenie did not recieve it and William and Harry have, but then again the Wales boys are the children of the Prince of Wales, they are more likely to be doing duties. The Princesses don't really do engagements, and if Charles has his way, will not be doing them at all. I can't see Peter, Zara, Louise or James ever getting the medal. The Wessex kids are far too young, obviously, and Peter and Zara aren't really "Royal".

The Duke of Cornwall and The Princess Anne both received The Queen's Coronation Medal in 1953 when they were four and two years old respectively. James and Louise are not too young to receive the Jubilee Medal, but whether or not they have may not be known for many years.

That's very interesting, I never knew that the Queen was so fond of Prince Michael.
Also I can just imagine him being a joker :ROFLMAO:

Freddie seems close to the York girls, Beatrice especially. He's also been close to William when they both were at Eton (not sure how their relationship is nowadays). It seems that Freddie gets along very well with the family in general.
Gabriella once said that she and Freddie were close with William and Harry when they were children at KP, but I have no further info about Ella's relationships to the rest of the family.

As for Princess Michael - most of the old lines a la "the Queen thinks she's too grand for them" etc. are quoted wrongly and/or come from very old bios and it's not sure if they were ever true. I heard that Princess Michael in fact had a friendly relationship to Princess Diana in the last years of her life and that, meanwhile, the Queen enjoys her company and defended her after the "go back to the colonies" story in private. The Queen didn't believe that she said that, invited her to Ascot after the incident and gave her advices. It's mainly the media who rehashes the portrait of "Princess Pushy" in my opinion and in the opinion of some folks who should be in the know. ;)

I too have a feeling that most of those rumours about Princess Michael are fabricated by the press. She seems like a nice woman.

Thank you both for the very informative answers :flowers:

Thanks for the image Conny. I imagine Peter possibly has received the medal, he just has not had an occasion to wear it. Is there a list of receivers? Has Zara got the Golden Medal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom