Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The article is such garbage. It's just pitting women against eachother for no reason at all and that is morally so wrong. Putting the York girls down is unnecessary but putting Kate on a pedestal is just as annoying.
The British press (with the exception of the Telegraph/Times) has no limits to what they write anymore, and most of it must be taken with a large pinch of salt.

But that seems to be the way of the press. To have a heroine they have to have a villain. They did it in the 80s with Sarah and Diana. When Sarah first joined the family it was Diana's perceived faults that were highlighted while Sarah was portrayed as a breath of fresh air, after a while the press chose to pick on Sarah and elevate Diana to a pedestal.
Yes, but that was in the 1980s. Now we live in a completely different world where garbage such as this is being discussed over the internet. And the worst thing is that many people actually believe in it.

Well said , VictoriaB. I remember the "fresh air " attitude that the press had over Sarah when she first joined the RF, although i don't think it was suggested that there was friction in the relationship between her and Diana. Sarah was mainly attacked over her dress sense, just as her daughters are.
But , as you say there always has to be the heroine and the villain. Do you remember some of the so called quotes from Diana about Sophie ?

I agree, other than at the end of Diana's life, there was not a suggestion of friction between them, just endless and unpleasant comparisons.

I do remember them suggesting friction between Sophie and Diana. And not just things Diana was alleged to have said about Sophie but vice versa.

The media will always write about Catherine being at odds with her female in-laws. For some reason they like writing about jealousy feeling between them all. This same thing was done to Diana, Anne and Sarah.

I haven't clicked on the article as I have long since banned the vile Daily Fail, but I very much doubt there is any antagonistic relationship between the three women.

For one thing, James Middleton and Eugenie are good pals. I doubt he would be friends with someone who wasn't nice to his sister.

That being said I doubt Catherine is all that close to them. There is an age difference and a lifestyle difference, with them all having different sets of friends. And most importantly, as William doesn't seem to be all that close to the Yorks, it not surprising that Catherine probably has spent little time with them. Whereas Harry is very close to the Yorks, so both Chelsy and Cressida were good friends with them. The latter's friendship with the Yorks predating her romance with Harry.

It all seems to be logical family dynamics to me.

Last edited:
William is 6 and 8 years older than his York cousins. Naturally, he is closer to Zara and Peter. Zara is only a year older than William. Ten year William isn't going to want to play with a 4 and 2 year Bea and Eugiene. Harry is in the middle. He could tag along with his older cousins and brother and then be the big cousin for Bea and Eugiene .

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

That's right. The majority of these stories about Kate and the Yorks have been around for years. I don't think Kate or William are close to the Yorks. Unlike Harry, even in their single days they didn't go clubbing with them. Nowadays they all lead completely different lives and there is also an age gap.

But that's OK, nobody has to be best friends with each other within the Royal Family. Some members may not like each other very much and that's all right too. So long as each member is polite and cordial to everyone when they meet (especially in public) it doesn't matter.

By the way, IMO the term 'flawless Kate', was used in this article of the DM's as a form of sarcasm.

William is 6 and 8 years older than his York cousins. Naturally, he is closer to Zara and Peter. Zara is only a year older than William. Ten year William isn't going to want to play with a 4 and 2 year Bea and Eugiene. Harry is in the middle. He could tag along with his older cousins and brother and then be the big cousin for Bea and Eugiene .

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Indeed, age gap appears to be a strong factor. Let's look at the three cousins the Cambridges chose for godparents of their children.
Zara Tindall- 1 year older.
Laura Pettman- 2 years older.
Adam Middleton- 1 year older.
These are the people they grew up with, and have the most in common with.

If that is frosty then Eugenie deserves a BAFTA, Oscar, etc..for best actress.

They caught a pix of Eugenie with a certain look on her face and had to make up a story to go with it.
Probably Beatrice said something to Eugenie causing the reaction & most likely it had nothing to do w/ the garden party, Queen, Catherine or William.

I thought that this was a pretty nicely written article about the bond between Harry and Kate. It says a lot for the stability of relationships. Being an article from the Daily Mail, I almost didn't click on it as I was thinking it to be another ghastly, innuendo filled, bird cage liner type article inciting rumors that Harry and Kate are anything but what they really are.

What I do see between these three is stability and a closeness that comes with trusting, relying on and being there for family. William didn't only gain a wife but Harry also gained a sister in the best sense of the word. These three will remain the Three Musketeers throughout the rest of their lives and lean on and depend on and rely on each other as a team to see them forward.

How can they lose when they're so sincere?

I thought that this was a pretty nicely written article about the bond between Harry and Kate. It says a lot for the stability of relationships. Being an article from the Daily Mail, I almost didn't click on it as I was thinking it to be another ghastly, innuendo filled, bird cage liner type article inciting rumors that Harry and Kate are anything but what they really are.

What I do see between these three is stability and a closeness that comes with trusting, relying on and being there for family. William didn't only gain a wife but Harry also gained a sister in the best sense of the word. These three will remain the Three Musketeers throughout the rest of their lives and lean on and depend on and rely on each other as a team to see them forward.

How can they lose when they're so sincere?
Really? Maybe I should dare to read it.

Go for it.. take that chance. Hold your nose and jump in at the deep end.

I do have to say it did surprise me but then again I don't hold the Daily Mail in a very high regard as far as journalistic talent goes. ;)

Prince Harry's relationship with members of the Royal Family

With this week's revelation of H.R.H. Prince Harry of Wales' mental health after the death of his beloved mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, what do you think is his relationship with other members of the British Royal Family? Do you think he has a strong bond with his father, Charles, and his stepmother, Camilla?

I know he gets along well with his brother William and sister-in-law Kate, and his "Granny", Queen Elizabeth II. I wonder how his relationship is with his grandfather, Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, and his uncles Andrew and Edward, plus his cousins Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.

I'd be very hard pressed to believe that there was a member of the royal family that Harry didn't get along great with and have a good relationship with. He has a natural tendency to connect to people and I think he holds everyone in his family dear to his heart.

I'd be very hard pressed to believe that there was a member of the royal family that Harry didn't get along great with and have a good relationship with. He has a natural tendency to connect to people and I think he holds everyone in his family dear to his heart.

Maybe Prince and Princess Michael could be jealous of the attention he gets. Since The former Princess of Wales, Duchess of Rothesay had a frosty relationship with Princess Michael, I wonder if Mrs. Kent has a grudge against Diana's sons.

Maybe Prince and Princess Michael could be jealous of the attention he gets. Since The former Princess of Wales, Duchess of Rothesay had a frosty relationship with Princess Michael, I wonder if Mrs. Kent has a grudge against Diana's sons.

I doubt it. Its hard to carry grudges. They shed horribly. :whistling:

Mrs. Michael should have reached out more to William and Harry after Diana's death. I think that the Kents should have been more friendly to the Waleses. :royalstandard:

Considering the age gaps and the fact that both William and Harry moved away from KP after Diana's death and were actively involved elsewhere, the Kents and the boys were probably only on the peripheral of each other's lives.

I think Harry has a cordial relationship with his family. He's fond of his granny and she has helped him with one or two projects like Invictus. Anne went up and squeezed his cheek when they met at the London Olympics and Harry grinned. You can sometimes see Harry smiling and joking with his uncles and grandfather on various engagements.

It's important to remember though, how compartmentalised Royal lives are. They all have engagements and it's not as if everyone runs around to each other's houses every couple of days. Harry and William probably see each other the most regularly of the bunch but we don't know how often that is.

Bedell Smith, the latest Charles biographer, stated that as his sons grew up they had their own lives and saw Charles and Camilla infrequently. Charles is a very busy man. However, when he and Harry meet I'm sure everything is friendly.

Mrs. Michael should have reached out more to William and Harry after Diana's death. I think that the Kents should have been more friendly to the Waleses. :royalstandard:

The Michaels of Kent aren't William and Henry's cousins. Prince Michael of Kent is The Queen's paternal cousin, which makes him Charles' second cousin, and William's third cousin. Hardly the starting block for a close relationship IMO. The boys had their actual cousins, uncles and aunts for support as well as friends and other supporters we're not aware of.

Considering the age gaps and the fact that both William and Harry moved away from KP after Diana's death and were actively involved elsewhere, the Kents and the boys were probably only on the peripheral of each other's lives.

I agree to all of the above, it's hard to hold a grudge against a family you never see along with a family that has also just lost their matriarchal figure.

Come on, this is just nonsense. They are so distantly related, it is almost no family anymore.
Lord Frederick Windsor can be seen as Harry's contemporary. Look how far they are related:

Prince Henry of Wales
= The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales
x Lady Diana Spencer

The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales
= Queen Elizabeth II
x Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark

Queen Elizabeth II
= King George VI
x Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon

King George VI
= King George V
x Princess Mary of Teck

--------------------------------------------------------

King George V
x Princess Mary of Teck
= The Prince George, The Duke of Kent

The Prince George, The Duke of Kent
x Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark
= Prince Michael of Kent

Prince Michael of Kent
x Marie-Christine Freiin von Reibnitz
= Lord Frederick Windsor

----------------------------------------------------------

With other words: the Austrian-Hungarian Baroness who happens to be the spouse to a grandson of Prince Harry's great-, great- grandfather should have developed a supportive role for this young adolescent?

Last edited:
Previous well it's the DM so not paying much attention to it. But I think what their doing is wonderful they are really making a difference if their Father doesn't agree with it too bad. But who really knows what their relationship is like. I have my own idea but will keep it to myself

Sigh, there is a world of difference between a parent, friend, other relative being "there for you" and being able to sort out mental health issues.

If good parents were the answer for mental health, many of us would be much less troubled. The article is rubbish.

My mother loved and supported me to the moon and back. That alone did not help much when depression struck. :bang:

And this is one of the points heads together it trying to make.

Even in the closest of family with excellent parents, once the kids hit a certain age, no matter what the question asked like "How was school" or "What's wrong?" or "what happened at the debate club?" the proverbial answer will be "Nothing".

Heads Together is trying to get people to realize that they need to be more open about things. What is bugging them. What hurts and to talk about what they're feeling.

I've even noticed now that here in the US, there is a commercial for toilet paper and how it comes in handy (because its soft) when there are upsets and the parent is consoling the child.

Cast me with stones but I have an open nerve for nanny society. We can protect all and everyone, try to pack them in a bumpy bubble to avoid bruises. But everyone has to find their own way.

Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and his four sisters grew up without their father, who died in a plane accident.

King Juan Carlos of Spain shot his own brother Don Alfonso in an accident.

Prince Henri d'Orléans lost his eldest brother Prince François, who died in battle in Algeria.

King Baudouin, King Albert II and Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte grew up without their mother Queen Astrid, who died in a car accident.

Caroline, Albert and Stéphanie de Monaco lost their mother Princess Gracia in a car accident.

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón, the so-called pretender of the throne of France, lost his father in a ski accident.

Princess Caroline lost her husband Stefano Casiraghi in a speedboat crash.

Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia lost his father in an accident during a military manoeuvre.

Queen Mathilde of Belgium lost her grandmother Princess Sofia and her sister Alix in a car accident.

King Willem-Alexander lost his brother, after almost a year in coma, following being buried under an avalanche in Austria.

I feel for Prince William and Prince Harry, for what happened two decades ago but okay... where is the typical British stiff upperlip, the resilience, the distance, where is the privacy? Is there still privacy left anyway when the royals expose themselves to the bone? The British maybe think that what happens to these two royals is unique, but the list above shows that remarkably a lot of today's royals have experienced shocking events but coped with it.

Last edited:
I think its a difficult thing to speak out about your own loss because, when you are royal, there will always be someone who has suffered the same or worse. As Royals it is expected that they will have had the best support possible and plenty of trappings of luxury to help. But then equally, royals have a big platform to stand on and people listen when they speak so its a Catch 22.

I feel for Prince William and Prince Harry, for what happened two decades ago but okay... where is the typical British stiff upperlip, the resilience, the distance, where is the privacy? Is there still privacy left anyway when the royals expose themselves to the bone? The British maybe think that what happens to these two royals is unique, but the list above shows that remarkably a lot of today's royals have experienced shocking events but coped with it.

I think the whole message was to show that terrible things can happen to anyone regardless of their walk in life and their circumstances. Many, many people (as you have pointed out) have had to cope with the same situation as William and Harry did with the loss of a loved one.

Some people work through the stages of grief naturally with no problems and come to acceptance easier than others. Harry did not. A lot of people bury and squelch their emotions and do not go through the stages of grief rather than dealing with them and they manifest themselves in other ways as time passes.

Harry's message, along with Heads Together, is aiming to get people to realize their problems and talk about them. Harry wasn't saying he (or William) suffered an unique experience but rather one that affected himself personally and how it affected him from not dealing with it and talking about it with someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom