The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2011, 05:33 AM
Heir Apparent

The members of "The Firm" cannot afford to be "strangers to each other". The "business" could not operate as well as it does, or seem to do.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Harry and the Queen Mother

In reading books about Harry and William, I have often heard that the Queen Mother essentially ignored Prince Harry. Has anyone heard about this and if so what is your take on it? Is it just a rumor or based on fact?

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Where exactly did you read that from?I have never heard of that.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Courtier

I have read that as well but I can't recall exactly where .... it may have been in the Kitty Kelly book. UGH!!!
Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've read it in at least two books. I think one of them was William and Harry:Behind Palace Walls by Katie Nicholl, and in another book that might have been about William and Kate, but mentioned how the Queen Mother treated William as opposed to Harry.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I've heard that too but I'm not sure where either. I haven't read the Kitty Kelly book soit must have been from a different source. But I did read or hear that the Queen Mother always favored the "heir" above all others. Who know what the truth is, though.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I've read it in at least two books. I think one of them was William and Harry:Behind Palace Walls by Katie Nicholl, and in another book that might have been about William and Kate, but mentioned how the Queen Mother treated William as opposed to Harry.

I read something in a Kate & William book about about Prince Charles ignoring Harry. A friend of Kate's who was an old friend of William's told Kate (before she had met any of William's family) how sad it was to see the way PC ignored Harry. I never read anything about the Queen Mother doing the same.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes I also read the Prince Charles ignoring Harry theory as well, I believe that was in the Christopher Anderson book. But I ignored it because he also beleived that Harry wasn't Charles' son; so I never put much stock in that theory. But the one about the Queen Mother always kind of bothered me.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Doesnt Katie Nicholl write for the DailyMail,a tabloid?I think that book that she wrote is not accurate.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP
Doesnt Katie Nicholl write for the DailyMail,a tabloid?I think that book that she wrote is not accurate.
Yup, she does.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

I've never heard of this claim before
Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Administrator

I dont believe that the Queen Mother ignored Harry she just spent extra time with William as a result of his position.

In regards to Charles, I have only heard that rumour from those authors. Personally, I am not a big fan of Charles, but I have always admired they way he raised William and Harry after Diana's death. You only have to look at the three of the interacting to tell that he loves them equally. They clearly adore their father and the feeling is mutual.

I don't believe he has ignored Harry. I think most of that is rubbish.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Courtier

I agree with you Zonk. Seeing how they all interact they have a very loving relationship. And I remember seeing pictures of Charles with a young Harry and both seemed affectionate. I had heard about the Queen Mother favouring William over Harry as she did Charles over the others. It seemed to have to do with her age or at least that is what was blamed.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Well in defense of the Queen Mother and Charles (and as an eldest grandchild myself), I think some grandmothers develop a special relationship with the first grandchild. You must remember that the Queen became Queen when Charles and Anne were very young..and when she and Phillip did the tours (because the King couldn't) ....the kids stayed with them (King George VI and Queen Elizabeth). I mean, of course the nannies were around but you get my point. So in addition to knowing very well (as a result of her husband and daughter) she spent a lot of time with Charles. They had a very special relationship. Just like the current Queen when William was at Scotland spent special time with William. Doesn't mean that she loves William more than Peter, Zara, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie, Louise and James...it just means he has a different role than the others.

Anne upon reflection (and she was a Daddy's girl) of the Queen Mother's death said it wasn't until she was older that she appreciated the Queen Mother so that makes me think they kind of butted heads or were just different people. Anne being Anne - independent, into horses, not a girls girl and the Queen Mother - tradition, duty and a girls girl. If that makes sense.

I believe the Queen Mother was extremely close to Princess Margaret's children - David and Sarah...but that is also because they were around more and she was probably compensating for the issues that led to Margaret and Tony's divorce.

I don't think she was as close to Andrew and Edward because they came along when the Queen was more settled in her role and she became a better mother. I hate to say that cause I don't think she was bad she just became better with Andrew and Edward. So they probably saw the Queen Mother but didn't spend as much time with her as Charles, David, Sarah and maybe Anne.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

If anyone can recall reading this, (not a great quote) "that when William and Harry would come and see her, the Queen Mother would say to William 'come sit next to me' and completely ignoring Harry. You can blame it on being a tabloid creation by Katie, but again I have read it in at least two books.
You would think a woman who married a second son who ended up becoming Queen would realize that birthing order doesn't mean everything.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Commoner

Zonk

I pretty much agree with you. I was the youngest grandchild in my mother's family.

My grandmother's favorite was a boy in the middle of the birth order, he was her favorite because his father was never part of his life since he was one year old. Her daughter had multiple marriages after his birth and lived a great deal of his and his younger brother's childhood as a divorced woman. Both my grandfather and grandmother worried about both of them, but especially the older one, the younger one did have a father in his life.

My grandmother loved me dearly, I knew that, but her time and attention was often focused on my older cousin and that was ok.

I am sure the Queen Mother loved all her grandchildren, Charles and William would both receive special attention due to their future life roles in the Monarchy. Add into that equation that Charles was an extremely sensitive boy and I understand there was not a strong bond between him and his father, I can see the Queen Mother seeking to provide love and support to him as he was developing. William lost his mother at a very young age as well, same scenario with the Queen Mother.

I am left to wonder who, if anyone, stepped into her love and support role within that family once she passed. I am very glad that Charles has Camilla and William has Catherine, very happy.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
If anyone can recall reading this, (not a great quote) "that when William and Harry would come and see her, the Queen Mother would say to William 'come sit next to me' and completely ignoring Harry. You can blame it on being a tabloid creation by Katie, but again I have read it in at least two books.
You would think a woman who married a second son who ended up becoming Queen would realize that birthing order doesn't mean everything.
Just because you read it in two books doesn't make it true...it just means a bad rumour that has been repeated. I would definitely consider the source.

Some take BIG liberties when writing. For example, one author in his book on William and Catherine explained the scene where the Queen corners William in BP to ask is it true that he got back with Catherine, all while she is standing there with her handbag. How would he know that? And I am sorry certain authors have no credibility with me at least.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I never once said it was true. I am asking has anyone else heard about this and these situations and theories. And if others have heard it, what do you make of it.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Im going to switch to another member;I wonder what kind of relationship Kate has with Elizabeth II.I wonder if she calls her Majesty,M'am or Grandma!

By the way,did Diana ever call her mother in law "Mum" or anything related to that?
Old 07-31-2011, 11:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fascinator View Post
I read something in a Kate & William book about about Prince Charles ignoring Harry. A friend of Kate's who was an old friend of William's told Kate (before she had met any of William's family) how sad it was to see the way PC ignored Harry. I never read anything about the Queen Mother doing the same.
Evidence is to the contrary - at least evidence that one can observe. I just spent some time on YouTube trying to track down a video but couldn't find it. I'll keep looking but just to say its the tail end of a documentary and shows Charles and Diana with their very young children - Harry is a toddler, William does some banging on the piano, and in general the two boys run all over the place, over the photographers, etc, playing - and you very clearly see the interactions of the boys with both parents.

What's clear is that both boys related well to both parents, but it also comes across that William was very much his mother's boy - and Harry was all over Charles, seemed to prefer him, in fact. If Diana went to hold Harry he squirmed away and was off and running to Charles who showed himself to be a very affectionate father, scoopping Harry up, playing a peek-a-boo game with him, etc. Harry seemed comfortable and happy in Charles' arms - whereas William would always run to mother.

Plus over the years the Christmas card photos showed Harry always physically close to his father - his hand on his father's shoulder and so forth. Remember at the viewing of the flowers left for Diana Harry held his father's hand. It seems to be a very strong relationship.

It makes sense that the first born William would be his mother's favorite, resulting in the second born bonding more with the father. Classic family dynamics there.

Tags
british royal family, relationships