The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2019, 05:16 PM
Heir Apparent

More info about family get togethers from Mike Tindall--

https://people.com/royals/royal-fami...rce=people.com

Old 08-29-2019, 07:44 AM
Majesty

That sounds like a great way to keep in touch and be able to plan "family" get-togethers. When you think about it there are lots of kids and lots to adults to share the fun and the irritation so let shared by this group.

Old 10-07-2019, 05:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Back in 2016 when Prince Harry issued a statement regarding the mistreatment of Meghan, Prince William issued a statement of support. Has William given any public support for Harry's recent statement on the press he made at the end of his and Meghan's tour?
Nope. We haven’t seen an ounce of support towards Meghan from members of the royal family on the evident smear campaign that’s been launched against her nor any support for Harry’s statement. Which is just sad, IMO.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

There maybe a number of reasons for the apparent lack of support:

1. They were blindsided by Harry and Meghan's actions and so by not saying anything are showing that fact

2. They don't believe that the actions are the way to go - remember 'never explain, never complain' has been the Queen's motto for her entire reign

3. They don't actually support Harry and Meghan in their complaints and aren't prepared to lie

4. They believe Harry and Meghan are over-reacting to the same sort of stories that came out about Catherine when she married William - and even before when she was dating him

5. There really is a split in the BRF and Harry and Meghan are becoming loose cannons with which the rest of the family don't want to be connected.

I am sure there could be many other reasons for the lack of support. That lack of support is the loudest evidence of a breakdown in the relationship between Harry and his family since he married Meghan.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

It's also possible that on a private level everyone is extremely supportive of Harry and Meghan and we just aren't hearing about it. We already know that we only are ever aware of an extremely small proportion of what goes on within the BRF. I don't think the fact that members of the BRF aren't putting out press releases about this means much of anything.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

To me the most telling is the publishing of Harry's statement on their private website (including a statement they will personally pay for it) and not through the normal BRF channels. That doesn't sound as if all are in agreement with what's happening (maybe with parts of it but probably not with a full-blown attack on the media including an explanatory letter).
Old 10-07-2019, 08:36 PM
Majesty

Back in 2016 reports made it clear Harry consulted with William and both were on the same page. Also it was reported HMQ and Prince Charles were in full support.

This time around we aren’t getting that. We are told the Queen was ‘informed’ about the lawsuit on the night the statement was circulated to the press.

God knows but the tone does seem markedly different.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Other than maybe the Queen, do we really think every time a member of the British Royal Family has sued a media outlet that they spent public money on lawyers? I would guess absolutely no. I think Harry was being pre-emptive, so that couldn't be a story.

I agree with Ista, it doesn't mean support is not happening just because they don't choose to broadcast their private family affairs all over social media.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
There maybe a number of reasons for the apparent lack of support:

1. They were blindsided by Harry and Meghan's actions and so by not saying anything are showing that fact

2. They don't believe that the actions are the way to go - remember 'never explain, never complain' has been the Queen's motto for her entire reign

3. They don't actually support Harry and Meghan in their complaints and aren't prepared to lie

4. They believe Harry and Meghan are over-reacting to the same sort of stories that came out about Catherine when she married William - and even before when she was dating him

5. There really is a split in the BRF and Harry and Meghan are becoming loose cannons with which the rest of the family don't want to be connected.

I am sure there could be many other reasons for the lack of support. That lack of support is the loudest evidence of a breakdown in the relationship between Harry and his family since he married Meghan.
I agree with those reasons and feel that what Harry and Meghan did was not the way to go. I think that the silence from the family on Harry's statement, given the blowback to it from the press, is loud and clear that they don't agree with it. I don't believe that Harry and Meghan are going to gain any thing from this approach. Not many people want to hear the highly privileged complain.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:43 PM
Serene Highness

I suspect the BRF may support Harry & Meghan up to a point. The lawsuits, yes, but Harry's statement, probably not.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
I suspect the BRF may support Harry & Meghan up to a point. The lawsuits, yes, but Harry's statement, probably not.
Exactly. Let the lawsuit do the speaking.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

You know what shocks me? William appear to be very passionate about being against cyberbullying. He even worked with the BBC on an app to help prevent cyberbullying. His sister-in-law has been cyber bullied for months on end and we haven’t heard a peep out of William’s mouth about it.

Now, it may be the fact that the family is showing support for Meghan and Harry behind the scenes, but it would do a world of good if the family showed their support for Meghan more publicly. I believe one of the reasons why the outside forces feel like they’re free to abuse Meghan on the net is because they’re not getting any push back from anyone high up behind the palace walls. They’re not getting a raised eyebrow from The Queen, The Prince of Wales nor The Duke of Cambridge. The same people who would quickly raise an eyebrow if this was happening to Camilla and Catherine. Yes, Camilla and Catherine has had their fair share of criticism from the outside forces, but what Meghan is being hit with is on a total different level. A level that’s begging for someone behind the palace walls to really make a statement about it.

Harry stepped up to the plate, of course. She’s his wife and mother to his son. The love of his life. But where in the hell is Meghan’s in-laws?

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-07-2019, 09:22 PM
Heir Apparent

So, what would you suggest the other royals exactly do to show their support?

Releasing a video in which both the duke and duchess of Cambridge and of Sussex feature seems a sign that they are (at least on some issues) on the same page.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
So, what would you suggest the other royals exactly do to show their support?

Releasing a video in which both the duke and duchess of Cambridge and of Sussex feature seems a sign that they are (at least on some issues) on the same page.
Somebody could release a statement. Somebody could have their courtiers make it known to the outside forces that they’re “Not Amused” by this campaign. Somebody could conduct some one-on-one official engagements with their granddaughter-in-law, daughter-in-law and sister-in-law. They can show their support for Meghan publicly by making in known they’re not okay with this ongoing campaign against her and they stand by her. They can do that.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-07-2019, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Somebody could release a statement. Somebody could have their courtiers make it known to the outside forces that they’re “Not Amused” by this campaign. Somebody could conduct some one-on-one official engagements with their granddaughter-in-law, daughter-in-law and sister-in-law. They can show their support for Meghan publicly by making in known they’re not okay with this ongoing campaign against her and they stand by her. They can do that.
Thanks!

Let's look at the options:
1. Release a statement seems far-fetched and not realistic. I don't think that was done before nor do I think that would reflect good on H&M.
2. Have the courtiers make it known that... - Seems a realistic option but those message can be misconstrued.
3. Have one-on-one official engagements: Catherine had one during Meghan's maternity leave. They also had an unofficial outing together but there was little interaction between the two families. For the official ones, Meghan only started again very recently and seems mostly focused on her own projects. Nonetheless, the Cambridges did a video message with the Sussexes. So, well done I'd say. Maybe the others can follow suit. The main advantage of this message is that is shows their support without rubbing it in people's faces as if the Sussexes need the family members to help them out.
4. Making it known that - not sure how that differs from 1 and/or 2; as they either speak out themselves (1) or do it indirectly (2).
Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
As Meghan has mostly been on maternity leave until very recently, it would have been a little difficult to have had an official engagement with her over the past 6 months or so. Kate & Meghan did attend Wimbledon together one day this summer. If Harry & Meghan had visited Balmoral or Birkhall during the past couple months, they could have been seen with the Queen and/or Charles.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
We just saw that Will, Kate, Harry and Meghan worked together on a project for Heads Together.

These lawsuits are a personal thing for the Sussexes and they're handling it how they see fit. They're paying for it. If it was my husband and I doing this, we wouldn't have to get the "approval" of both sides of our family or expect them to issue statements or be "seen" with us.

These lawsuits have absolutely nothing to do with the "Firm" or any of the royal charities and patronages in their public life besides announcing that if the copyright lawsuit is won, monies will go to an anti-bullying campaign.

I just don't see any reason the rest of the BRF needs to go "public" with any kind of support for this. What matters is if they have support privately and that's probably something we're never going to know.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-07-2019, 11:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
You know what shocks me? William appear to be very passionate about being against cyberbullying. He even worked with the BBC on an app to help prevent cyberbullying. His sister-in-law has been cyber bullied for months on end and we haven’t heard a peep out of William’s mouth about it.

Now, it may be the fact that the family is showing support for Meghan and Harry behind the scenes, but it would do a world of good if the family showed their support for Meghan more publicly. I believe one of the reasons why the outside forces feel like they’re free to abuse Meghan on the net is because they’re not getting any push back from anyone high up behind the palace walls. They’re not getting a raised eyebrow from The Queen, The Prince of Wales nor The Duke of Cambridge. The same people who would quickly raise an eyebrow if this was happening to Camilla and Catherine. Yes, Camilla and Catherine has had their fair share of criticism from the outside forces, but what Meghan is being hit with is on a total different level. A level that’s begging for someone behind the palace walls to really make a statement about it.

Harry stepped up to the plate, of course. She’s his wife and mother to his son. The love of his life. But where in the hell is Meghan’s in-laws?
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Could be a fear of taking on the tabloids and thus potentially ending up at the same receiving end of the abuse as Meghan (and Harry). Or just a fear of getting involved. (Which wouldn't exactly be new to the BRF who are notoriously vague in most things they do as compared to their European counterparts).

But I really don't understand it either. Aside from the illogicality in seeing a family member receive abuse of the extend Meghan is receiving for her every breath and reacting with silence, it also does nothing but feed the instigators with more ammunition to shoot at someone they (HM, Charles and the Cambridges) supposedly are on the same side as. And it's also a very... interesting stance from a "first they came"-point of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Thanks!

Let's look at the options:
1. Release a statement seems far-fetched and not realistic. I don't think that was done before nor do I think that would reflect good on H&M.
2. Have the courtiers make it known that... - Seems a realistic option but those message can be misconstrued.
3. Have one-on-one official engagements: Catherine had one during Meghan's maternity leave. They also had an unofficial outing together but there was little interaction between the two families. For the official ones, Meghan only started again very recently and seems mostly focused on her own projects. Nonetheless, the Cambridges did a video message with the Sussexes. So, well done I'd say. Maybe the others can follow suit. The main advantage of this message is that is shows their support without rubbing it in people's faces as if the Sussexes need the family members to help them out.
4. Making it known that - not sure how that differs from 1 and/or 2; as they either speak out themselves (1) or do it indirectly (2).
#1: How on earth would a statement of support end up reflecting badly on H&M?

#2: If the message is relayed clearly by the courtiers, it'll be misconstrued only by people who wish to misconstrue it. And in my experience, those people are not the ones you'd wanna reach by backing H&M because those people have no real interest in a nuanced view of the world. (The same goes for #1 – to that same crowd, everything involving H&M reflects badly on H&M but they're also not the target of such a statement).

#4: There are many other ways to make their support known than through a statement or through others. Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark's subtle support to his mother when his father decided to abandon their plans to be buried together comes to my mind. "I can only say that in many ways I'm very saddened by my father's decision." That wasn't an outright stab at his father but there was also no doubt about his feelings on the matter. Nothing is stopping HM and perhaps specifically Charles and the Cambridges from making a comment similar in style to that. Or as Dman mentions, an obvious opportunity could be to channel it through the subject of bullying. It really doesn't have to be rocket science.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:24 PM
Serene Highness

When William and Catherine decided to pursue the Closer suit over the nude pix did any other member of the RF issue a public statement?
When Charles sued over publication of his letters did anyone else issue a statement in support?
I don’t recall any statements in support in similar situations, and more importantly, I don’t recall any hand wringing over their absence.
To me this is just a press gambit trying to stir up more controversy ala ‘see, the important royals agree w/ us.’
When a suit has been filed most lawyers tell their clients to zip it, thus I distinguish William’s support of Harry’s statement regarding dating Meghan as no lawsuit was involved.
The reference to privately funding the suit was most likely to derail claims they were misusing taxpayers’ money.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:29 PM
Majesty

I also agree with Dman. There are things that the other royals could have done to be much more supportive, and high on the list IMO would be some subtle and not so subtle hints privately to the outside forces to just back off this 'new member of our family'. It's been done successfully in the past, why not now?

Not much point in my view in supporting people privately if you aren't prepared to do something to help one who is under constant attack. A joint engagement or two in the next month might not come amiss either.

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings