The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-15-2019, 03:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
It doesn't appear though that the Mountbatten-Windsors, Chattos, and Snowdens, are that close to the other Windsor cousins, including the Kents and Gloucesters.
Which is probably the same as most families. For example, the older Kents & Gloucesters are 1st cousins to the Queen so the family link between William's generation is distant. Very few of us have a close relationship with our grandmother's cousin's grandchildren. Many people wouldn't even know of their existence.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:24 AM
Royal Highness

Right, exactly! To be honest, I think the Queen has been mostly close to Princess Alexandra, courteous and friendly to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. I do not believe the Queen was ever very close to Prince Michael of Kent since he was so much younger. And indeed, Prince Michael's choice of bride was problematic. And personally, Princess Michael seems to have never been especially well-liked among senior royals.

Reportedly, none of the senior royals are invited to Lady Gabriella's wedding. Neither did they attend her brother's wedding. And they were not invited to either of the Wales brothers' royal weddings. Although, out of courtesy, their parents, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were invited to the weddings of the Wales brothers. Pippa Middleton is invited to Lady Gabriella's wedding on May 18th, since the bridegroom is a former boyfriend of Pippa's. Lady Gabriella and her fiance were invited to attend Princess Eugenie's recent wedding, and I suppose Freddie and his wife were there too since their daughter was in the bridal party.

However, it's not unusual for parents' and/or grandparents' cousins to be known to their offspring, particularly if they all live in the same town and get together for family reunions. Living in the same town though is generally a rare occurrence for most large extended families in this day and age. The royals are a bit different though than most families. While I wouldn't expect extended cousins who are not first cousins to be particularly close, in the royal family, they do all know each other fairly well. And the British royal extended families do mostly all join the Queen for annual Christmas lunch in December.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:32 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Right, exactly! To be honest, I think the Queen has been mostly close to Princess Alexandra, courteous and friendly to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent. I do not believe the Queen was ever very close to Prince Michael of Kent since he was so much younger. And indeed, Prince Michael's choice of bride was problematic. And personally, Princess Michael seems to have never been especially well-liked among senior royals.

Reportedly, none of the senior royals are invited to Lady Gabriella's wedding. Neither did they attend her brother's wedding. And they were not invited to either of the Wales brothers' royal weddings. Although, out of courtesy, their parents, Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were invited to the weddings of the Wales brothers. Pippa Middleton is invited to Lady Gabriella's wedding on May 18th, since the bridegroom is a former boyfriend of Pippa's. Lady Gabriella and her fiance were invited to attend Princess Eugenie's recent wedding, and I suppose Freddie and his wife were there too since their daughter was in the bridal party.

However, it's not unusual for parents' and/or grandparents' cousins to be known to their offspring, particularly if they all live in the same town and get together for family reunions. Living in the same town though is generally a rare occurrence for most large extended families in this day and age.
Gabriella, Freddie and his wife were at the Cambridge wedding. They even attended the pre-wedding dinner on April 28th. That's why being excluded from the Sussex wedding was so intriguing to royal watchers.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:39 AM
Royal Highness

Ah okay. Well, Freddie and his wife have a daughter around Prince George's age, and they attend the same school. Plus, the Cambridges were married at a larger venue. The Sussexes preferred a smaller wedding.

Maybe there were some bad feelings over Lady Gabriella's old boyfriend telling tales in the media about his time at KP when they were dating. The stories came out around the time of H&M's engagement. More likely, Harry is not as friendly with the Kent cousins as perhaps William might be.

Princess Eugenie will surely be attending Lady Gabriella's wedding. It remains to be seen which other royals will be invited.
https://honey.nine.com.au/2019/03/13...l-wedding-2019
Old 05-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

However, it's not unusual for parents' and/or grandparents' cousins to be known to their offspring, particularly if they all live in the same town and get together for family reunions. Living in the same town though is generally a rare occurrence for most large extended families in this day and age. The royals are a bit different though than most families. While I wouldn't expect extended cousins who are not first cousins to be particularly close, in the royal family, they do all know each other fairly well. And the British royal extended families do mostly all join the Queen for annual Christmas lunch in December.
It has been confirmed that HM and other members of the royal family are going. Most likely Eugenie and Jack.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTchic View Post
It has been confirmed that HM and other members of the royal family are going. Most likely Eugenie and Jack.
Do we know which members of BRF were present for Freddie's wedding? Wonder if the list will be similar?
Old 05-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Aristocracy

None of the seniors went. I believe Eugenie went.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Please note that a number of posts have been deleted or edited because they were off-topic - or responses to off-topic posts. What a wedding tiara, Meghan's supposed comments on food or journalists have to do with the relationship between members of the Royal Family is anyone's guess, but please do check the topic of the thread before posting or responding to posts. Thank you.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

Here's an interesting look back at a conversation Prince William and Prince Harry had on the Today show in 2007 when they were 24 and 22 respectively. It sheds a great deal of light on their relationship, and even presages the young men they have turned out to be today, in terms of their connection with each other, and feelings about their positions within the royal family. Being 'normal' is apparently their keyword:

https://youtu.be/-faZVpnX0GI
Old 05-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it's a coincidence a picture of the two brothers was included in the twitter-post on the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's wedding anniversary.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:28 AM
Royal Highness

The below video probably circa 2007 - 2009 shows the jocular teasing side of Harry's and William's relationship that always existed between them as close-in-age brothers. There also appeared to be a bit of tension between them too in this video as they were answering questions about Africa (and the TUSK endeavor). They were clearly in Africa at the time. The house in the background may be where Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip stayed in the early years of their marriage after her father's death.

Tensions and competitiveness between brothers are normal, but William and Harry have currently undergone more intense strains in their relationship than usual. Still, as this video shows, they've always been competitive with each other, only it was more lighthearted when they were younger and when Harry was still single after William married. William does look a bit annoyed at times during this video, as does Harry but he shows it differently than William:

Clearly, from this video and the other I posted in #1230 above, Harry has a deep connection to Africa, but both brothers do apparently from what William also expresses in this video. It's kind of key that Harry says: "When I get a chance to get away, nine times out of ten, it's to Africa." So maybe it's true that Harry and Meghan spent some time in East Africa on their 2018 honeymoon. I think the brothers' emotional connection to Africa stems from the period when their father took them there to heal after their mother's death.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 PM
Heir Apparent

I did not know that William and Harry had always been competitive with each other. How they always always seemed very close.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 PM
Courtier

I’m really very disappointed of how Harry is changing after his marriage. The relationship with his brother seemed to be unique and now this cold public relationship looks like the top of the iceberg. It is very sad after all...
Old 06-22-2019, 01:18 AM
Gentry

Even if there is a difference, why blame Harry? To be honest, if it’s true that William wasn’t supportive of Harry’s relationship with Meghan, then I don’t blame Harry for being upset. Overall, though, these two young men are human and, despite their positions, are just like any siblings - having ups and downs in their relationship is no big deal.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:04 AM
Courtier

There is a big deal and it is not because of they are royal, it is because they are brothers. The idea that William was not supportive can be read in many ways. He is the one that took years to decide if Kate was right or not. So advising to take things easy is not strange. He cared about his brother in my opinion. I don’t know what is the purpose of Harry, but somebody would need to remember him that the royal family exist because of his grandmother and will continue to exist if his father and brother are successful in keeping it united.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:04 AM
Majesty

Some people fall in love and marry within a couple of years, others take longer. Age comes into play. People in their thirties often do not want to take eight years to decide to get married. That can mean remaining childless.

We don't know whether William was counselling his brother to wait or not. That story came from a newspaper. As far as we know however, Harry wasn't counselling his brother nine years ago about HIS love life. He allowed him to make up his mind himself.

IMO it's fine to offer advice if you are asked for it, but if you know that someone, whether a sibling or not, is desparately in love, then you have to be ready for them to react adversely, if you go ahead and proffer it yourself, depending of course on how you phrase things. IMO you also have to allow an adult to make his/her own decisions and fulfil their own destiny.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:11 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
I’m really very disappointed of how Harry is changing after his marriage. The relationship with his brother seemed to be unique and now this cold public relationship looks like the top of the iceberg. It is very sad after all...
No need to be disappointed that Harry has changed. He is healthier (less smoking, drinking), his sense of direction is stronger (he is even more focused on the charities near and dear to his heart), he is a family man that is committed to the safety and happiness of his wife and child. These are not bad things.... everywhere else hey would be considered strong qualities too look for in a spouse.

The only different is Harry is not around to prop up another couple, but then again after 8 years of marriage that couple should be solid enough to prop themselves up. Harry should not be expected to give up his opportunity for happiness to be a life long third wheel to another another couple.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:17 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel View Post
Be upset if he is changing for the worst. This split will only give him and Meghan a platform to bring light on the causes they believe in.

The Royal Fly®️
Old 06-22-2019, 08:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post
No need to be disappointed that Harry has changed. He is healthier (less smoking, drinking), his sense of direction is stronger (he is even more focused on the charities near and dear to his heart), he is a family man that is committed to the safety and happiness of his wife and child. These are not bad things.... everywhere else hey would be considered strong qualities too look for in a spouse.

The only different is Harry is not around to prop up another couple, but then again after 8 years of marriage that couple should be solid enough to prop themselves up. Harry should not be expected to give up his opportunity for happiness to be a life long third wheel to another another couple.
Harry certainly seems like a happy man since his marriage, but I'm not sure we have any evidence that he is healthier, smokes and drinks less, or is any more dedicated to his chosen causes than he was before his marriage.

The idea that he is needed to prop up the Cambridges (!?!) is so odd I have no idea where that came from, or why he would be expected to give up his opportunity for happiness to do so. Could you please cite some sources for that information?
Old 06-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaiSoSo View Post

where on earth do you get your information from, you have absolutely no evidence to back up that last paragraph.

The hypocrisy on this forum is beyond belief, anything a media outlet, Daily Mail or RR's say in anyway to criticise the Sussexs are called everything on here, but if these same organisations are following THE agenda i.e flattering them or mis calling the Cambridges then what they say is taken as gospel.
you cannot have it both ways.

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings