The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2010, 11:50 PM
Royal Highness

In my opinion, I think the engagement of Prince William and Ms. Middleton was known prior to the announcement by the Prince's father and grandparent. The timing was left to William and Catherine when to make the engagement announcement. I think the photo shot was set up at the last moment. I think the photographer and press would jump at the chance and drop all other commitments that day.

I too felt that there was something up with Prince Charles and his boys. But thinking about it I came to the conclusion that the boys are mature men on their own now. The only thing that still bothers me is the comment by Prince Charles on the day of the engagement. It sounded strange and I thought something was wrong. Does anyone feel that way?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Royal Highness

I think he was trying to maybe make a joke but he sometimes falls flat when trying to kid around

Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Administrator

Frankly I thought that the comment came across as awkward and inappropriate.

Surely, that might have been a thought in your mind, doesn't mean you need to verbalize it.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I agree. Prince Charles seemed a little bit irritated, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Frankly I thought that the comment came across as awkward and inappropriate.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

I thought Charles' comment was funny. Uncharacteristically candid, and surprising in the circumstances, but jolly funny nevertheless.

I saw the Whittaker program Poly mentioned, but chose to put it out of my mind till reading these comments now. I decided to ignore what he said, in the hope that it is not true. If it is true, it is a little sad, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some conflict between William and Charles, who both seem to be determined men. If what Whittaker said about William and Harry not liking Camilla is true, I hope William will remain loyal to his wife and her family, just as I hope Charles remains loyal to his wife and continues to support her. Charles' sons are adults and they live independent lives. All parties just need to be co-operative and civil to one another. As long as there is no outfight, public feuding, promoted by the likes of Whittaker, I don't see a problem.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Nobility

At the very least, the Queen, Prince Philip and Prince Charles all knew about William's engagement well in advance.. it would be ridiculous to believe otherwise when Prince William is required to request the Queen's consent under the Royal Marriages Act of 1772.

Without her consent and declaration in Council, his marriage would be null and void. Granted, he is old enough to marry without her consent, but only after making his intentions known in Privy Council and waiting it out for a year before a marriage takes place.

So of course they knew.

William himself said in the interview after the announcement that he knew he wanted to marry Catherine, it was just a matter of timing. This makes me think the BRF has known for some time about William's intentions.

As far as his relationships within the BRF, I would say that Charles and his sons are as close as they are likely to be now that the boys are grown men with lives of their own. I see nothing wrong in that. If anything, there is one key difference between them.. and that is the fact that Charles has been the heir practically his entire life and has lived under the stress and restrictions that status has imposed upon him.

Things may have been much different for him if George VI had lived and his mother had become Queen much later than she did. As it is, Charles has only known how to live in that fishbowl.. and his sons have been allowed to swim in the river, so to speak. For William and Harry, their father has also been the buffer between them and royal duty.

It certainly cannot have been easy to accept Camilla as a stepmother, knowing her role in the breakup of their parents marriage. But the fact is, they did accept her as far as they are able.. despite whatever personal feelings they may have, the public will never know the full truth of that particular relationship.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Personally I think it is sick the way the Mail is trying to intimate that suddenly William has woken from a long sleep and decided that he loathes his Father...
Agree with you 100%. At first I took it as true and was deciding to swear off the British Royals (fashion sense be 'darned'! ). The last thing I am interested in witnessing is a re-run of the Diana-Years vitriol and drama. Then I considered more.

If true, on first hearing it is a serious disappointment. Yet, as some have pointed out, the role of step-parent is not an easy one even in the best of circumstances. (The evil step-mother in fairy tales is there as a stereotype for a reason). Its just that the dysfunction of the Diana-Years was so extreme and hyjacked all normality in the press that I let out a huge groan, like at the prospect of being tortured in a familiar way. Please lets not have a repeat with her sons being jerks!

Of course the RF (and Charles) knew about the engagement - but potentially not the exact day of the announcement. We now know that there was an understanding for the last 3 years. Catherine had been attending functions in a very 'official looking' way, too.

I, too, found Charles' comment to be funny. I can hear a couple of my own friends saying much the same thing regarding their altar-shy children.

But then there is the larger possibility of a mountain-out-of-a-mole-hill. All children - especially teenagers - have their opinions and voice them. We don't know the context for this 'information', either. But more significantly - good news doesn't sell. If the Royal Family is viewed as getting along its starts looking boring. William starts looking boring - but a conjured conflict - whether of genuine parts or manufactured outright - why, that will start the papers selling, people tuning into the wedding to watch the interactions between the Royals. In the end my cynicism has kicked in - and the old dictum 'follow the money', or as they say in criminal investigations, 'who benefits from the crime?' In this case 'all roads lead to Rome' - to the same place/conclusion - Money! Someone is going to write a book. And the games begin.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 AM
Commoner

I see no evidence of disharmony between Charles & his sons
all 3 have always looked happy & pleased to be with each other ... even at Charles' wedding to Camilla
I think whatever distance people see between Charles & his sons is a simple fact of life
William & Harry are young men making their own lives ... having careers & relationships
all children separate from their parents to some extent ... it is normal

I watched a news program a few weeks ago about William & Harry in Africa; what struck me was how the journalist kept talking about Diana's charity work & William kept stating that his father has done much too for charities around the world; William stated that his father's charity work was as much an influnece as his mother's charity work; I believe this Africa trip was within the past 2 years
doesn't sound like William despises his father ... unless something rather drastic has changed
Old 01-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you for this. Especially regarding William sticking up for his father. I had always seen him do that in interviews. I was entertaining this new twist even though it was so disappointing to me. Usually children of a dysfunctional parent/situation have a pretty good bead on the reality of the situation and I had assumed as much with William and Harry.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
Thank you for this. Especially regarding William sticking up for his father. I had always seen him do that in interviews. I was entertaining this new twist even though it was so disappointing to me. Usually children of a dysfunctional parent/situation have a pretty good bead on the reality of the situation and I had assumed as much with William and Harry.

I will say, if Earl Spencer speaks at the wedding, my opinion of William will plummet. Poor judgment.
I don't really recall anyone having someone give a speech during the wedding ceremony itself. It could be that the wording got a bit twisted around and perhaps William and Kate will ask Earl Spencer to do one of the readings during the ceremony similar to what either Beatrice or Eugenie did for Peter and Autumn Phillips wedding.

I think both William and Kate are going to make sure that everyone is going to feel equally important in their roles they play for their wedding. I think William would feel it is a necessity that the families of both of his parents play an essential part in their day.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't really recall anyone having someone give a speech during the wedding ceremony itself. It could be that the wording got a bit twisted around and perhaps William and Kate will ask Earl Spencer to do one of the readings during the ceremony similar to what either Beatrice or Eugenie did for Peter and Autumn Phillips wedding.

I think both William and Kate are going to make sure that everyone is going to feel equally important in their roles they play for their wedding. I think William would feel it is a necessity that the families of both of his parents play an essential part in their day.
Thank you, Osipi, for the perspective. You are quite right.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Serene Highness

Stepmom

I am really curious as to the relationship between William and Harry and their stepmother, Camilla. Considering the baggage of their father's relationships with his present wife, what is the best we could expect?
Old 01-04-2011, 04:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Apparently they get on very well.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:43 AM
Royal Highness

They "love her to bits" said Harry. It s known she is a very warm-hearted, loving and caring lady who enjoys her family, so I guess William and Harry enjoy being part of her family as well.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Aristocracy

I've read that they like her as she makes their father happy so whatever makes him happy, makes them happy.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

See article below (follow link to Telegraph website). Clearly Camilla has a good relationship with William, but I am sure both the boys and Camilla are mindful of the events of the last few decades and tread carefully.

Royal wedding: Duchess of Cornwall encouraged Prince William to give Kate Middleton time to 'back out' - Telegraph

Royal wedding: Duchess of Cornwall encouraged Prince William to give Kate Middleton time to 'back out'

The Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke of Edinburgh were instrumental in Prince William's strategy for giving Kate Middleton time to "back out" of marrying him

The Prince and Miss Middleton started discussing the possibility of an engagement when they got back together after a brief split in 2007, but the Prince decided he wanted to give his girlfriend plenty of time to get used to the realities of joining the Royal family.

Sources close to the Prince told The Daily Telegraph that while he had regular discussions with his father, the Prince of Wales, about the timing of a marriage proposal, he was also keen to hear the views of his stepmother and his grandfather.

"The Duchess has been an important figure in the planning of the engagement," said one well-placed source.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Aristocracy

Of course all of these articles with quotes from "royal insiders" etc. could be pure fiction either way. Yet the feeling I get is Camilla may have expressed something like that even if not asked because she has been in that position many years ago, and then obviously more recently which is somewhat unique.

I can't say for certain if Camilla and William have a great relationship since it must be tough to balance wanting to be loyal to his mother, and pleasing his father/liking Camilla. Yet I haven't seen anything suggesting they aren't nice to each other. Some times when you want advice you will seek it from a source less close to you to get a less biased view.

I don't care much for Kate/Catherine but I have to hope all these senior members of the royal family that the article suggests know what is best for William and that this marriage will be able to work. In as so far as they, or we, can predict that.

A lot of Diana supporters dislike Camilla for her being the "third party" in her marriage, but I'm thinking if she was young and beautiful nobody would have cared too much. They seem to me to have a mature, and suited to each other relationship. There's something sort of romantic about being apart all those years (mostly) and married to others and yet many years later finding their way back together.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Administrator

We are not going to turn this thread into a retread of the Camilla/Charles/Diana triangle.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Nobility

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Columnists :: Why Charles barely talks with Andrew-

Not much brotherly love between the Princes if this is to be believed.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Columnists :: Why Charles barely talks with Andrew-

Not much brotherly love between the Princes if this is to be believed.

Watching the body language when the royals are together I get the distinct feeling that most of the Queen's children barely talk to each other but that Andrew is on the outer with all of them - and has been for years.

Tags
british royal family, relationships