Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I woudlnt be too sure. I think there is distance and while Covid has made travellng difficult, he's not that welcome here at present. It hasn't been all that long since they left, and sicne they left they have become more unpopular. So Im sure that the RF are cagy about seeing him.. except Charles who naturally is worried about his son.. and wants to see his grandson. If Charles was ever friends with Meghan Im sure he has changed his mind by now....

Here we sit thinking that Archie may never return to the UK and see his dad's side of the family because, frankly, Meghan doesn't want to. To be honest, I've never gotten the impression that Meghan would refuse to step foot in the UK ever again. I believe its a tangent that has grown and gotten teeth just from all the perceived animosity surrounding the Sussex family's exit to the US.

Meghan and Charles always seemed to me to get along quite well and leaving the mess of the "Firm" side of things out, I don't see any reason why Charles (and Camilla) wouldn't welcome them on a visit with open arms.

To me, the *only* reason they've not returned to the UK yet is because of that nasty thing affecting the world called Covid-19. No families are traveling to see each other right now. Even families that never fight or have disagreements and don't have a "family business" to stir up animosities.

If the world had never been affected with a pandemic, I think we'd probably be seeing a totally different picture right now.

I think you’re right about Charles and Meghan - and even if he’s disappointed about suggestions he’s not been supportive, etc.., he always seems to be able to put disappointment behind him. We know Archie had a birthday Zoom with Charles, HM, etc...and Meghan was obviously on the call. I’m sure that was a happy occasion for everyone.

You make a lot of sense, and I think I’ll just try and think positive..or, at least, not so negatively. The press is just speculating, after all...

At this point, I think time is best healer, but only if there are no more tension between the Sussexes and Royal Family. Ever since Harry and Meghan left royal duties, they were not really "missed" and have been perceived to be unreliable (for future representative roles), and self-centred. The worst thing that I have read is "insulting the British public and Royal Family".

Next year will be The Duke of Edinburgh's 100th Birthday and the year after (2022), the Queen's Platinum Jubilee. I think the healing needs to happen sooner than later. Although Meghan's relationship with Charles appears to be good, it's really her relationship with the rest of the royal family that needs to be improved.

It would be really wrong for Meghan if she actually refused Archie and Harry to physically attend these two celebration due to her "allege dislike" of the UK or the royal family (assuming COVID does reduce to minimum).
P.s. This is last sentence is very speculative based on her current preference of California and the LA lifestyle. Things could change in the future.​

Yes frankly apart from Charles i doubt if they are missed. I dont tink that Will's entirely keen to see his brother again right now.. and the rest of the family probably feel that Harry has not shown much sign of respect or affection for his family...

I don't think the family cares to see any of the Sussexes, including Archie. I doubt they are bothered whatsoever. I doubt they were ever that friendly anyways. Not much has changed except location.

Last edited:
If Prince Harry does come to visit his grandfather next year, do you think that he (Harry) will come without Archie?

If Prince Harry does come to visit his grandfather next year, do you think that he (Harry) will come without Archie?

There is no reason to think he wouldn't bring Archie and his wife with him. They have made it clear they wanted their son to know both of his backgrounds. They kept their home for a reason. COVID has stopped those plans for now.

Yes I know people are 'well they didnt bring him back when they quit. They were there for a few days. And at Archie's age to bring him back to London and then back to California on such a short trip would have been disruptive at best to his schedule. Not the right time for a family visit when not meant to be there for any length of time, not even a week.

I don't think the family cares to see any of the Sussexes, including Archie. I doubt they are bothered whatsoever. I doubt they were ever that friendly anyways. Not much has changed except location.
Im sure that Charles wants to see Harry and his grandson.. I doubt at this stage if he's bothered about seeing Meghan, but he is not a monster and wont want a big rift with his sons wife and will try to keep up some kind of polite contact. I'm sure the queen too wants to see her grandson and great grandson. and I think that Meg's willing to be polite as she may need the Windsor's support some day but I think she's pretty obviously very happy to be back in America and wont come back except for visits...(Unless things go pear shaped in the US and she has to come back).
The rest of the family are probably disappointed with Harrys behaviour and Megs and probably are OK with not seeing them for some time, until feelings have cooled down.

I disagree. IMVHO I believe that Charles would definitely want to see his fourth grandchild. Also even if things might be currently strained with others, that the family does want to see all of them especially their newest great grandchild, nephew and cousin.

Everything what is said how bad it was for her as a wife of a Prince and member of the Royal Family is what Meghan wants us to know. So one side of the story. A coin has two sides. I am sure that Harry told her what she should do and what not. Marriage is a two way street, more giving than taking, maybe she was not willing to give only take. All of the posts are guesswork, no one knows unless they were there and seen and heard it for themselves. What I do know is, she and Harry like to be Center of Attention. The only one this mess can affect negatively is Archi this little sweetie is innocent in all of this . Maybe they should get a grip on them self's and be still with no comment for a while. This is OMO of course.

There is no reason to think he wouldn't bring Archie and his wife with him. They have made it clear they wanted their son to know both of his backgrounds. They kept their home for a reason. COVID has stopped those plans for now.

Yes I know people are 'well they didnt bring him back when they quit. They were there for a few days. And at Archie's age to bring him back to London and then back to California on such a short trip would have been disruptive at best to his schedule. Not the right time for a family visit when not meant to be there for any length of time, not even a week.

Harry's trip in March was almost 2 weeks (Meghan's slightly shorter), so little reason not to bring him if they truly wanted his family to get to know him better.

I disagree. IMVHO I believe that Charles would definitely want to see his fourth grandchild. Also even if things might be currently strained with others, that the family does want to see all of them especially their newest great grandchild, nephew and cousin.

I had posted a response to that last night, but I deleted it because I didn’t want to come across as angry as I was. The idea that Charles doesn’t care about or want to see his darling son, his grandson, is .....unbelievable. I had another word for it, but this is as mild as I can get. HM and Philip don’t care anymore about their grandson and great-grandson? This extra hyperbole is one reason I can’t take many pro-Sussex arguments seriously ...

Last edited:
It wasn't a time to sit and visit and sip tea. Along with the meetings to work out the details of the final exit, there was also the job of getting everything in order at Frogmore to be shipped to the US that they'd need and a bazillion other loose ends to wrap up. Archie was best off back home safe and snug in his own bed. Covid-19 was also rearing its ugly head at that time too.

Even Doria probably has been under restrictions from seeing her grandchild and she lives in the same state they live in. As the pandemic gains more and more momentum now, a *lot* of Thanksgiving holiday plans have gone down the drain here too. Families all over the place are *not* able to get together.

Hopefully by the time Philip turns 100 in June, the world will be more open for safe travel and the entire Windsor family can gather for this milestone birthday. Archie included. Andrew included. All of them included. ?

Here we sit thinking that Archie may never return to the UK and see his dad's side of the family because, frankly, Meghan doesn't want to. To be honest, I've never gotten the impression that Meghan would refuse to step foot in the UK ever again. I believe its a tangent that has grown and gotten teeth just from all the perceived animosity surrounding the Sussex family's exit to the US.

Meghan and Charles always seemed to me to get along quite well and leaving the mess of the "Firm" side of things out, I don't see any reason why Charles (and Camilla) wouldn't welcome them on a visit with open arms.

To me, the *only* reason they've not returned to the UK yet is because of that nasty thing affecting the world called Covid-19. No families are traveling to see each other right now. Even families that never fight or have disagreements and don't have a "family business" to stir up animosities.

If the world had never been affected with a pandemic, I think we'd probably be seeing a totally different picture right now.

Thank you for presenting such a compassionate and logical argument- for all sides!

I agree with you that the main hinderance in their return to the UK is COVID-19. Frankly I think that barring some emergency reason it would be irresponsible for them to return. I think it's very unfortunate that COVID happened when it did, but that's the reality that we all face. So many of us are experiencing the pain of being separated from loved ones, and frankly, how much in-person visits would they be making with the Queen and Philip even if they had stayed in the UK? Probably not many! I think they probably would have already returned to the UK a few times by now if not for COVID.

I think that the relationships in the family are still quite strained, but that doesn't mean that they don't still love each other or that Charles doesn't want to see his son, daughter-in-law, and grandson and stay connected with them.

I've never bought the "Meghan will never EVER step foot in the UK again or let Archie," but I do think that she will never live there again, nor will Archie. I think that he will be raised in the U.S. and go to school there, and for all intents and purposes will be "all-American." Harry, Meghan, and Archie may spend time there in the summer and over holidays, but I can't see it being more than a few weeks or a month or two at a time, nothing close to even maintaining a semi-permanent residence there.

Andrew Marr (BBC Presenter) has told Richard Eden that the rift between Prince William and Prince Harry "could destroy the monarchy". I personally think Andrew Marr is exaggerating and probably make this statement to promote the BBC Two's New Elizabethans with Andrew Marr documentary series. Richard Eden has tweeted out a picture of Andrew Marr's conservation (with him).

Richard Eden @richardaeden
#BBC grandee Andrew Marr fears rift between Princes William and Harry could destroy the monarchy. #royal
11:50 PM · Dec 5, 2020·Twitter for Android​

Link to the screenshot image

Andrew Marr (BBC Presenter) has told Richard Eden that the rift between Prince William and Prince Harry "could destroy the monarchy". I personally think Andrew Marr is exaggerating and probably make this statement to promote the BBC Two's New Elizabethans with Andrew Marr documentary series. Richard Eden has tweeted out a picture of Andrew Marr's conservation (with him).

#BBC grandee Andrew Marr fears rift between Princes William and Harry could destroy the monarchy. #royal

I think it is a great exaggeration. If the War of the Wales did not destroy the monarchy, I believe this estrangement certainly won't.

One thing I don't get whenever this comes up is *how* is it going to destroy the monarchy?

Do they think the competing news headlines ala "William and Kate were mean" "Harry threw his toys out of the pram" and iterations thereof for years are going to wear at the popularity of the monarchy as an institution or William as a Monarch or potential Monarch?

Or William won't have enough emotional support?

Hadn't the supposedly made up when Charles got COVID (And William as we now know?)

If Harry and Meghan establish their foundation in California and are happy there and either stop using their titles for controversial things and playing at the real thing ala Remembrance Sunday or some compromise is worked out where they come back for Trooping and what have you, won't things settle down on the press front after a couple of years? Time and Space can be great healers on the family front sometimes. Then it won't matter (to us and the institution) if they talk for hours every week or simply see each other a handful of times a year and are cordial.

I dont know of any evidence that they "made up when Charles had Covid".. and I think that the tension will continue for quite some time as I dont believe the Sussexes will stop doing things that are at least irritating to the RF in the UK.. as seen by their Rem Sunday activities. So probably Will will have to do without the support of his closest relative apart from his father...

One thing I don't get whenever this comes up is *how* is it going to destroy the monarchy?

Do they think the competing news headlines ala "William and Kate were mean" "Harry threw his toys out of the pram" and iterations thereof for years are going to wear at the popularity of the monarchy as an institution or William as a Monarch or potential Monarch?

Or William won't have enough emotional support?

Hadn't the supposedly made up when Charles got COVID (And William as we now know?)

If Harry and Meghan establish their foundation in California and are happy there and either stop using their titles for controversial things and playing at the real thing ala Remembrance Sunday or some compromise is worked out where they come back for Trooping and what have you, won't things settle down on the press front after a couple of years? Time and Space can be great healers on the family front sometimes. Then it won't matter (to us and the institution) if they talk for hours every week or simply see each other a handful of times a year and are cordial.

I certainly hope that William and Harry’s relationship will heal over time, and time and space will certainly help things, but I have a feeling that as of right now none of the things you say the Sussexes should do to help amend the situation from their end (stop using their titles and playing at royalty) aren’t going to happen. They seem pretty bound and determined to have their own Court of Montecito and establish themselves as celebrity-philanthropist-royalty hybrids. They aren’t going to stay out of the limelight, and as a vaccine makes it possible for things to open up more and for them to actually get out and do work I have a feeling we will be seeing and hearing MUCH more from Harry and Meghan, and they will probably continue to be “thorns in the family’s side” in that way. I know that there were probably things that William did on his end that were hurtful to Harry and that he needs to rectify as well (certainly when he told Harry to put the breaks on the relationship with Meghan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he might not have been super chummy or welcoming to her all the time).

I am interested to see what will happen at the larger-scale official events once they are able to return to them. I’m sure they will return for things like Trooping the Colour, unveiling Diana’s statue, etc. The last official event that they were at (I think in March) was visibly tense, and now with all the revelations about their role in Finding Freedom I can’t imagine they’re the most popular members of the family right now.

Insane. I’m sorry, but Andrew Marr is smoking too much of what Robert Lacey is. It’s a real shame about the rift, but it’s a personal thing, no more. The BRF has done wonderfully during this crisis, with Harry thousands of miles away, and they will continue to do so. The monarchy survived a real Constitutional crisis in the Abdication ...this is a drop in the bucket compared to that.

I certainly hope that William and Harry’s relationship will heal over time, and time and space will certainly help things, but I have a feeling that as of right now none of the things you say the Sussexes should do to help amend the situation from their end (stop using their titles and playing at royalty) aren’t going to happen. They seem pretty bound and determined to have their own Court of Montecito and establish themselves as celebrity-philanthropist-royalty hybrids. They aren’t going to stay out of the limelight, and as a vaccine makes it possible for things to open up more and for them to actually get out and do work I have a feeling we will be seeing and hearing MUCH more from Harry and Meghan, and they will probably continue to be “thorns in the family’s side” in that way. I know that there were probably things that William did on his end that were hurtful to Harry and that he needs to rectify as well (certainly when he told Harry to put the breaks on the relationship with Meghan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he might not have been super chummy or welcoming to her all the time).

I am interested to see what will happen at the larger-scale official events once they are able to return to them. I’m sure they will return for things like Trooping the Colour, unveiling Diana’s statue, etc. The last official event that they were at (I think in March) was visibly tense, and now with all the revelations about their role in Finding Freedom I can’t imagine they’re the most popular members of the family right now.

William didn’t tell Harry to “put the breaks” on his relationship with Meghan, he just expressed concern that H was moving too fast ...big difference. H js the one who overreacted, IMO. I’m also not going to speculate on how William might not have been welcoming as I don’t think that’s fair.

William is on the same page as his father and grandfather - that’s really all that counts. They all care about protecting the monarchy. The fact is, I don’t think H and M can do anything here to damage the BRF - as far as I’m concerned, they only people they risk damaging are themselves. The BRF has done brilliantly during this crisis, and I believe the public supports them.

I’m a believer that time can heal all wounds, and I hope that happens for William and Harry. I’m not sure it will if H keeps pushing the envelope, if he keeps trying to compete with the BRF.

Much to the relief of the royal family, Harry’s relationship with William is said to be “much better than it was.” The brothers are in regular contact, and the Sussexes have sent Christmas gifts to the Cambridge family. “I have no doubt they will be video calling each other over Christmas,” said the friend.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/12/prince-harry-meghan-markle-year-in-review

This makes me happy... I feel comfortable in saying that Harry and Meghan have a good relationship with Charles, and that things are probably fine with HM and Philip (especially Harry, even if Philip may still be annoyed with him, lol). Obviously, the biggest concern was H’s relationship with William. I’m glad it’s in a much better place...that’s encouraging.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2020/12/prince-harry-meghan-markle-year-in-review

This makes me happy... I feel comfortable in saying that Harry and Meghan have a good relationship with Charles, and that things are probably fine with HM and Philip (especially Harry, even if Philip may still be annoyed with him, lol). Obviously, the biggest concern was H’s relationship with William. I’m glad it’s in a much better place...that’s encouraging.

I would be happy for William and Harry if things betwee them are, indeed, better. That said, I remain wary of how true this is, or if this is just more drivel or spin.

I would be interested in your source that you know these things.

I would be happy for William and Harry if things betwee them are, indeed, better. That said, I remain wary of how true this is, or if this is just more drivel or spin.
I agree. I doubt if Wills friends are going to say anything and if they do it wont be anything negative ie they're not likely to say that Will and Harry are still on bad terms. But I think that the episode in March showed that the 2 of them were very uneasy and could not even manage to look polite at a public event... so given that all through the year, Harry and Meghan have shown themselves to be moving further and further away from the UK and the royal way of life.. I doubt if William's negative feelings have been soothed as yet.

I would be interested in your source that you know these things.

There is no source, I probably should have said “I strongly suspect” rather than “I know.” I assumed people would know what I meant, but I guess it was confusing.

Whilst I do hope everyone has mended some fences I'll take everything with a pinch of salt as it seems to come in waves "they made up when Charles (and William) had Corona" two months later "still at daggers drawn!" another two months "talking and sending prezzies" etc. It depends on who's writing the article, who made any leaks to the press and if there's a book or TV show about the issues to publicise.

We're also unlikely to get a full picture of what HM and Phillip's relationship with them is like both on a personal level and as a former boss/still head of the family. Again I do hope things are better between everyone on a personal level even if I remain sceptical about harmony on a working level but I don't think we can say for sure one way or the other.

Whilst I do hope everyone has mended some fences I'll take everything with a pinch of salt as it seems to come in waves "they made up when Charles (and William) had Corona" two months later "still at daggers drawn!" another two months "talking and sending prezzies" etc. It depends on who's writing the article, who made any leaks to the press and if there's a book or TV show about the issues to publicise.

We're also unlikely to get a full picture of what HM and Phillip's relationship with them is like both on a personal level and as a former boss/still head of the family. Again I do hope things are better between everyone on a personal level even if I remain sceptical about harmony on a working level but I don't think we can say for sure one way or the other.
Agree. I don't think that Philip is happy with Harry and probably the queen's a bit negative too. Charles has probably remained sympathetic, but he must be wary of how volatile his son is. I think that Will probably is much less sympathetic than Charles.. he must feel upset and abandoned.. and perhaps he blames his brother's wife for persuading him to walk out...

Of course we don’t know exactly what goes on behind the scenes, but I imagine that William helping to support (along with Charles, etc..) Harry and Meghan after the miscarriage would have started the healing process. I think Kate Nicholls is a pretty good source, so while we can’t absolutely say for certain this is true until we get multiple sources (or even from Scobie), I think there’s a good chance this is true.

I didn’t know that Charles and Andrew were once close...it’s a shame (and I’m not even referencing Andrew’s issues) that they developed a rivalry.

”There absolutely has been rivalry between Andrew and Charles but my understanding is that that rivalry developed at a later stage in life and that actually, when they were young handsome princes enjoying their early years of marriage, they were the 'Fab Four'," Nicholl tells 9Honey.

"They were the ones going on holidays together, they were the ones skiing together. And they had these sort of bright, gorgeous, exciting, new royal wives and there was actually, I think, more companionship between them at that stage in their life than perhaps at any other.

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pr...tionship/fdb64062-2364-4c38-a524-678c0ba22011

When Sarah joined the Royal family she and Diana, who had known each other previously, became close for several years sharing together their not always favorable impressions of Palace life and courtiers.

However, from everything I have read Charles and Andrew were never close at any point of their lives really. Eleven years age difference, very different temperaments, different interests, different stages of life, different positions in the Royal family, in some ways a different upbringing, as Andrew was more indulged as a child by his parents who had a bit more time for him. Charles was mainly brought up by Nannies Lightbody and Anderson until he went to school.

By the time Andrew was conscious of his surroundings Charles was away at Gordonstoun, and Timbertops in Australia. He was a university student when Andrew was at prep school. And, as I've said, nothing in their characters or interests have brought them close since, apart of course from being from the same parents and sharing some family memories. That's not to say that they aren't civil/cordial to each other most of the time when they meet of course, however, because of the large age gap etc I wouldn't say that Charles was close to either Andrew or Edward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom