Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, no, no.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at the London premiere of the new James Bond movie.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex as guests of honour a week later, at the Hollywood premiere.

Time to get serious future King and Queen. Stay away from film premieres from now on in.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/uncategorized/11972489/princes-bond-battle-bosses-hollywood-premiere/

Why? This is a 'bread and butter' engagement for royals. The Queen used to go to film premieres in her younger days - with evening dress and tiara. If the monarch can do it why not the 'future King and Queen'?

Not only that, but William is president of BAFTA. It would be odd if he didn't.

The queen, Charles and Camilla and the Cambridges have all attended James Bond premiers. So fitting.

Last edited:
Why? This is a 'bread and butter' engagement for royals. The Queen used to go to film premieres in her younger days - with evening dress and tiara. If the monarch can do it why not the 'future King and Queen'?

I’m surprised to see any royals still attending film launches after the experience of the Prince and Princess of Wales at the London premiere of “Steel Magnolias”

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis’ sister Lee Radziwill was married to the film’s director Herbert Ross.

Lee got sick of being overlooked and sat down in the same row as Charles and Diana, instead of her assigned seat further back.

She sat in Julia Robert’s seat.

She refused to move.

Mr Ross’s boss, also present, called her the c-word.

Lee brazened it out.

Julia burst into tears.

Charles and Diana shuffled along and tried to smooth things over.

Julia ended up sitting in the row behind.

Mr Ross was seen as being unable to control his wife. His career took a dive and never recovered.

Highly embarrassing for the Royal couple to get caught up in a Hollywood hissy-fit. And all in the name of getting some dosh for a charity.

And yes, beautifully turned out Monarch having to come eye to eye with those starlets of yesteryear with their low-cut gowns serving up their “assets” at Her Majesty’s eye level - I’ve seen the pics.

No wonder Princess Margaret got the job, which I think suited everyone all round.

Now the producers of this film would like this prince and his wife to attend this premiere, and that prince and his wife to attend that one.

Great for them and their product, the James Bond people, but when are those in charge on the other side going to draw some sort of line between Royalty and celebrity.

When is there going to be some attempt to re-build the mystique and importance of the Monarchy.

Celebrities get flushed down the sluices all the time. I can’t see any value in the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge getting into a comparison with the other couple when they are on the track to the throne.

Kate wore this frock, Meghan wore that, it rained in London, the sun shone in California, more well- known faces at the Hollywood event, but it’s a British film.

As both couples are now more-middle aged than young, why continue down this route.

If Royalty can’t stir people with it’s own glamour, the seedy, hustling, drug-riddled second-hand glamour of the entertainment industry can’t be their best shot surely.

Last edited:
:previous: You do understand one of the main jobs of royals is to support and promote their country. In that its arts, culture and industries right??

The British film industry is a major one. William serves as patron of BAFTA. So yes showing up for the odd movie premier or awards shows, with other celebrities, is part of the role.

There are only so many hospital ribbons to cut. And that's only a tiny portion of the role they play.

I’m surprised to see any royals still attending film launches after the experience of the Prince and Princess of Wales at the London premiere of “Steel Magnolias”

Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis’ sister Lee Radziwill was married to the film’s director Herbert Ross.

Lee got sick of being overlooked and sat down in the same row as Charles and Diana, instead of her assigned seat further back.

She refused to move.

Lee brazened it out.

Julia burst into tears.

Mr Ross was seen as being unable to control his wife. His career took a dive and never recovered.

Highly embarrassing for the Royal couple to get caught up in a Hollywood hissy-fit. And all in the name of getting some dosh for a charity.

And yes, beautifully turned out Monarch having to come eye to eye with those starlets of yesteryear with their low-cut gowns serving up their “assets” at Her Majesty’s eye level - I’ve seen the pics.

No wonder Princess Margaret got the job, which I think suited everyone all round.

Now the producers of this film would like this prince and his wife to attend this premiere, and that prince and his wife to attend that one.

Great for them and their product, the James Bond people, but when are those in charge on the other side going to draw some sort of line between Royalty and celebrity.

When is there going to be some attempt to re-build the mystique and importance of the Monarchy.

Celebrities get flushed down the sluices all the time. I can’t see any value in the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge getting into a comparison with the other couple when they are on the track to the throne.

Kate wore this frock, Meghan wore that, it rained in London, the sun shone in California, more well- known faces at the Hollywood event, but it’s a British film.

As both couples are now more-middle aged than young, why continue down this route.

If Royalty can’t stir people with it’s own glamour, the seedy, hustling, drug-riddled second-hand glamour of the entertainment industry can’t be their best shot surely.

This is a normal royal event.

Of course the public will make comparisons between the Duchesses because they are so shallow that that is all they care about - what they are wearing - rather than the cause being supported ... in this case the 'arts' which the British/English/Scottish monarchs have supported for centuries. Without that support some of the greatest pieces of English literature would never have been written.

William is Patron of BAFTA. He is expected to attend the premiere of British films along with the annual awards. He and Catherine have attended premieres before.

They will still be attending premieres as King and Queen.

These gala event often are charity events with the funds raised donated to a charity the couple support, or entertainment related not sure what one in this case but often it is the case.
It is more than just turning up for a free seat at the cinema.

Steel Magnolias and the prince and princess of wales was a number of years ago, if that experience was going to make them withdraw from these events I think they would have stopped by now.

Last edited:
The Princess of Wales has been dead for nearly 23 years. These events have been going on ever since so clearly that experience didn't affect anything.

Charles and Camilla have been to them as have William and Catherine.

The Princess of Wales has been dead for nearly 23 years. These events have been going on ever since so clearly that experience didn't affect anything.

Charles and Camilla have been to them as have William and Catherine.

Not sure what film premieres have to do with the relaitionships between membrs of the RF

She refused to move.

Lee brazened it out.

Julia burst into tears.

A minor drama a quarter of a century ago involving some random person at a premiere that most do not remember should hardly stop the future King and Queen supporting UK PLC. Films are a major export earner for us, and as President of BAFTA, William, in support of the industry and specific charities should attend these events from time to time.

As regards the former royals, how they choose to conduct themselves and where they choose to appear is for them to decide. They no longer represent The Firm in any way.

Not only are gala film premieres very normal events for any royal to go to, The Queen herself has been to several James Bond premieres so she clearly doesn't mind meeting actors and those involved, or if she does she keeps it to herself. Hell, she was a even "Bond Girl" once, and whilst not everyone liked it, many people all over the world loved it and it didn't destroy any of her mystique or reputation, it enhanced it.

So going to a glamourous event doesn't hurt any of her relatives as glamour is an inherent part of the Monarchy. Kate and Meghan will be compared in what they were wearing and everything else for the rest of their lives, wherever they go anyway. And the "controversy" surround the Sussexes and the Lion Ling Premiere had nothing to do with them attending, that's a standard royal event.

Let's get back on topic please, I have no idea why we're suddenly discussing attendance at film premiers when the topic of the thread is quite obvious.

It seems heirs and spares can have tricky relationships in the BRF. Does that happen in other royal families?

It seems heirs and spares can have tricky relationships in the BRF. Does that happen in other royal families?

King Phillipe of Belgium and his brother Prince Laurent come to mind. Also I believe that King Felipe and his sister the Infanta Cristina have a strained relationship now.

King Phillipe of Belgium and his brother Prince Laurent come to mind. Also I believe that King Felipe and his sister the Infanta Cristina have a strained relationship now.

There seem to be rumours that Prince Joachim of Denmark was pressured to take a job in France that he and his wife didn't really want...
Families are families and dont always get along - but I dont think that there are necessarily bad relationships between heirs and spares.. in the BRF or other royal families.

Were Felipe and Cristina good prior to the scandal?

Märtha Louise of Norway has not been making decisions with a view to supporting her family, seemingly. Their father is getting old and frail and her brother Haakon's wife is sick, while he does more and more work. I don't know what kind of terms Haakon and ML are on these days, but it's not a recipe for anything good.

Fumihito of Japan (now Crown Prince) publicly rebuked his older brother Naruhito (now Emperor) during their family conflict around 2004, and their relationship was said to be strained.

Were Felipe and Cristina good prior to the scandal?

The general opinion seems to be that Felipe and Cristina always were very close. This closeness lessened somewhat with Letizia's arrival and the relationship completely soured when Felipe distanced himself from Iñaki.

This whole thing is really sad..... I feel terrible for Charles, HM and Philip. I'm sure eventually Harry will return, for however long, to the UK, but Archie is another story. I wish Meghan would return just so Archie's family could see him, but I think that is extremely unlikely.

According to Ingrid Seward, editor of Majesty magazine, 71-year-old Prince Charles asked Harry, Meghan and Archie to visit him at his Birkhall estate in Scotland.

But sadly for the Prince of Wales, the visit seems unlikely to take place at this point.

Royal expert Phil Dampier told New Idea: “Like the Queen, Charles is very sad not to see Archie, who is growing up so fast.

“Charles has been able to see Archie online, of course, but it’s not the same as hugging your grandson.”

Mr Dampier said Prince Charles is especially concerned about his own parents being able to see their great-grandson, especially since both the Queen and Prince Philip are in their 90s.

He continued: “I know Charles is concerned that the Queen and Prince Philip may never see Archie again, and that would be devastating for them.”

A source previously told New Idea: “Harry is toying with the idea of going to see him [Prince Charles].

“Enough water has passed under the bridge now, and he misses his dad.

“But Meghan has made it fairly clear she has no interest in going along for the trip, which means Archie stays too.”

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...een-Elizabeth-ii-grandson-Archie-Harrison-EVG

This whole thing is really sad..... I feel terrible for Charles, HM and Philip. I'm sure eventually Harry will return, for however long, to the UK, but Archie is another story. I wish Meghan would return just so Archie's family could see him, but I think that is extremely unlikely.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...een-Elizabeth-ii-grandson-Archie-Harrison-EVG

The thought of the Sussex family arriving at Balmoral / Birkhall for a "private visit", complete with "private camera crew, and pictures and videos being released to their preferred mdia outlets can be quite amusing. That will be before Philip emerges with his shotgun.... ?

Of course the family misses each other. The culprit right now is one that affects all of us and our families. The pandemic. :)

Of course the family misses each other. The culprit right now is one that affects all of us and our families. The pandemic. :)

It’s cost so much...the lives lost is incalculable, but there’s also the suffering it’s inflicted on the population at large, especially families being separated for almost a year. This pandemic is so cruel..

The thought of the Sussex family arriving at Balmoral / Birkhall for a "private visit", complete with "private camera crew, and pictures and videos being released to their preferred mdia outlets can be quite amusing. That will be before Philip emerges with his shotgun...?.

Muriel, isn’t there a show that spoofs the Windsors? That sounds like it’s perfect for that show, lol...although, it’s honestly not a funny situation. Even if there were no pandemic, Meghan still wouldn’t be returning - it seems to me she’s using Archie to punish the BRF by refusing access to him (assuming she doesn’t return with Harry).

Muriel, isn’t there a show that spoofs the Windsors? That sounds like it’s perfect for that show, lol...although, it’s honestly not a funny situation.

There is a spoof TV show called The Windsors. But the reality is, we no longer need that show. It appears H&M seem to have taken the place of that spoof show.

Even if there were no pandemic, Meghan still wouldn’t be returning - it seems to me she’s using Archie to punish the BRF by refusing access to him (assuming she doesn’t return with Harry).

I am not particularly bothered if Meghan returns or not, and frankly, I do not think the family care particularly. It is really up to Harry to decide if he would like, for himself and his son, to have a relationship with his family in the UK, and if so, to make it happen.

Last edited:
The thought of the Sussex family arriving at Balmoral / Birkhall for a "private visit", complete with "private camera crew, and pictures and videos being released to their preferred mdia outlets can be quite amusing. That will be before Philip emerges with his shotgun.... ?

Yes frankly apart from Charles i doubt if they are missed. I dont tink that Will's entirely keen to see his brother again right now.. and the rest of the family probably feel that Harry has not shown much sign of respect or affection for his family...

I truly don't understand why Archie couldn't travel with Harry if it is Meghan who wouldn't be interested in visiting her in-laws. Not 'allowing' Archie to travel with his dad would just be a way to punish the BRF. He is just as much his parent as Meghan is.

(I understand this all is hearsay, so am merely stating that I don't buy the reasoning that Archie cannot come because Meghan won't come)

There is a spoof TV show called The Windsors. But the reality is, we no longer need that show. It appears H&M seem to have taken the place of that spoof show.

I am not particularly bothered if Meghan returns or not, and frankly, I do not think the family care particularly. It is really up to Harry to decide if he would like, for himself and his son, to have a relationship with his family in the UK, and if so, to make it happen.

I don’t care about Meghan returning either except insofar as it likely means Archie wouldn’t. I agree that if Harry has any desire to foster a relationship between Archie and his family in the U.K., then it’s on him to “make it happen”.

I truly don't understand why Archie couldn't travel with Harry if it is Meghan who wouldn't be interested in visiting her in-laws. Not 'allowing' Archie to travel with his dad would just be a way to punish the BRF. He is just as much his parent as Meghan is.

(I understand this all is hearsay, so am merely stating that I don't buy the reasoning that Archie cannot come because Meghan won't come)

Archie is no longer an infant; there is no reason Harry couldn’t bring him (I guess with the nanny) on his trip to the U.K.

I don’t want to speculate further as it’s not fair - though I already have my suspicions. Hopefully I am wrong when the time comes for Harry to return.

Here we sit thinking that Archie may never return to the UK and see his dad's side of the family because, frankly, Meghan doesn't want to. To be honest, I've never gotten the impression that Meghan would refuse to step foot in the UK ever again. I believe its a tangent that has grown and gotten teeth just from all the perceived animosity surrounding the Sussex family's exit to the US.

Meghan and Charles always seemed to me to get along quite well and leaving the mess of the "Firm" side of things out, I don't see any reason why Charles (and Camilla) wouldn't welcome them on a visit with open arms.

To me, the *only* reason they've not returned to the UK yet is because of that nasty thing affecting the world called Covid-19. No families are traveling to see each other right now. Even families that never fight or have disagreements and don't have a "family business" to stir up animosities.

If the world had never been affected with a pandemic, I think we'd probably be seeing a totally different picture right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom