Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harry himself on the 'rift between the brothers'.

My take: they will always be brothers but currently they are in the 'bad days'-phase.

That was my take-away. “Different paths” indicated to me that their issues are on-going for now. But- they’re brothers; so they’ll always be there for each over.

I’d be surprised if William wanted this publicly acknowledged. Or the rest of the family.

Of course the brothers are on different paths now. They're no longer WilliamandHarry, Diana's sons. One is on the path to become the next Duke of Cornwall and perhaps Prince of Wales and then King. The other is going in a different direction with a focus on the Commonwealth (pretty clearly backed by HM, The Queen). Just as William joined the Royal Air Force and Harry joined the Army. That was going in different directions too. William's favorite color may be blue and Harry's green for all we know. Just because they're brothers doesn't make them clones of each other.

Different paths and perhaps even disagreements over time does *not* mean that the brothers are at war with each other. I seriously doubt that William is going to lose sleep over anything Harry's said and for all we know, William could playfully give him a punch on the arm the next time he sees him and quip "You forgot to add that our dogs don't get alone either!" :whistling:

^^
I understand what you’re saying. Obviously Harry and William have different life paths, but I don’t think that’s what Harry was referring to. He was specifically talking about the “rift.” That was the context of his response imo.

I don’t think it means that they’re at war either. Or estranged. This isn’t Cain and Abel.

I do think they are having some on-going differences of opinion of some kind. It happens. Families are never going to agree on everything. And they have the family business angle too.

I doubt William is losing sleep either- but I’d be surprised if he wanted this to be a publicly acknowledged fact.

Last edited:
Please note that several posts have been edited or deleted - let's stick to real rather than imagined relationships between members of the Royal Forums and let's avoid making speculative assumptions about their future relationships with one another. Thank you.

I come from a somewhat larger family but we four girls bickered often. But these are but passing things we lived, loved and fought with equal passion. Things had been known to fly across the rooms. A mug of cocoa could result in a "surprise" ceiling, wall and window spring clean.

The point I am trying to make is when you are close and inheritors of your parents temperaments, genes will out. Tiffs, spats and angry arguments happen. But if you're solid it mean nothing unless some little earring stirs the pot.

That was my take-away. “Different paths” indicated to me that their issues are on-going for now. But- they’re brothers; so they’ll always be there for each over.

I’d be surprised if William wanted this publicly acknowledged. Or the rest of the family.

Call me naive, but I understood different paths as meaning simply that. William is now on the path to become the heir and then the King, while he is forging a new role as a more junior member of the RF with a focus on the Commonwealth and Africa in particular.

Call me naive, but I understood different paths as meaning simply that. William is now on the path to become the heir and then the King, while he is forging a new role as a more junior member of the RF with a focus on the Commonwealth and Africa in particular.

Fair point. But even if there are differences, there is nothing to be gained, IMO, by airing them publicly. The interview would have been a very good chance for Harry to completely deny any rift within the family and the matter could have been dealt with privately.

I found the following artlcle from Metro and interesting read:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/21/prince-harry-say-relationship-brother-prince-william-10954571/

I do feel that the word "feud" is too strong a word in describing the current dynamics of the relationship between William and Harry. Not only is it alarmist but there doesn't seem to be any grounds for the use of such a word as it would point towards long-term bitterness and anger between them.

I think it's worth recognising that different personalities within a royal family (as indeed any family) are important not only in public presentation but also within the family itself.

The only problem with airing one's thoughts publicly about the state of our relationships - unless it is very carefully done - is that it can lead to more and more scrutiny.

Harry can say anything he wants to. I just don't understand why he would choose to throw his relationship with his brother under the bus. Which is how I saw the comment. A simple "I love my brother" could have moved that question along. Instead we got what we got.

It will only add fuel to the fire. I don't care which royal generation you are, the press loves to find acrimony amidst and between them all. This was ill advised.

My only consolation is that these people are within a decade of being boring compared to the kids. The cycle will then repeat itself.

If Harry does not want to be the story, then he needs to quit being the story. JMO.

Harry can say anything he wants to. I just don't understand why he would choose to throw his relationship with his brother under the bus. Which is how I saw the comment. A simple "I love my brother" could have moved that question along. Instead we got what we got.

It will only add fuel to the fire. I don't care which royal generation you are, the press loves to find acrimony amidst and between them all. This was ill advised.

My only consolation is that these people are within a decade of being boring compared to the kids. The cycle will then repeat itself.

If Harry does not want to be the story, then he needs to quit being the story. JMO.

Exactly! Harry and Meghan are being poorly advised. No, it’s not fair that she has been a target. However, the more they feed the press the more scrutiny and judgement they will face.

The full quote is “ we’re certainly on different paths at the moment.” To me, that clearly means he’s referring to the state of their relationship. (And he’s addressing the question being asked, which is their relationship.)

Their career paths in life are different for life. Nothing temporary about it.

As another poster stated, the problem with addressing this is that unless you are very careful with your words- in this case shut it down- you invite a ton more scrutiny and press. Which is what happened. I can’t tell you how many articles popped up on this subject doing a google search.

I certainly hope William wasn’t blindsided by this- which a report upthread indicates. That won’t help. I’d assumed he’d at least been made aware of Harry addressing the subject, but possibly not.

Since long drawn out question and answer sessions with the BRF never happen, any brief sentences can and will be interpreted/misconstrued the instant they make them..

That is what has happened to Harry today..

This is why [public] 'silence is golden', and why the 'let them bleat' in public is always a dire mistake..

By all means go to court [if you think you may win], and row in private [smash plates if you need to], seek help if you need to.. but do it in PRIVATE...

None of this helps the dynamics within the family, nor in the wider world.. and merely throws fuel on the [Tabloids] fire...

Last edited:
Since long drawn out question and answer sessions with the BRF never happen, any brief sentences can and will be interpreted/misconstrued the instant they make them..

This is why [public] 'silence is golden', and why the 'let them bleat' in public is always a dire mistake..

By all means go to court [if you think you may win], and row in private [smash plates if you need to], seek help if you need to.. but do it in PRIVATE...

None of this helps the dynamics within the family, nor in the wider world.. and merely throws fuel on the [Tabloids] fire...

Well said, Wyevale.

The bond between the two brothers-which had been there from childhood-was really very special. I hope they rebuild their relationship soon because despite what either of them believes, they need
one other. When William comes to the Throne especially.

It would break Diana's heart to see their bond broken.:ermm:

Last edited:

In our current society of internet trolls, social media and the fun British press, silence isn't golden either. There have been plenty of instances "not saying anything" was also interpreted by people. I've seen plenty of people saying/posting that lack of response (by whomever) was proof there is a rift/break/whatever.

Who was it that said: "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible". Or something like that…

Nick Dixon of ITV says Prince William's team were 'taken back' by Prince Harry's comments after he appeared to confirm a rift with his brother.

There was no confirmation of a “rift” from Prince Harry. The press is just spinning it that way. He simply saying he and his brother have their ups and downs, but they support each other and love each other.

There was no confirmation of a “rift” from Prince Harry. The press is just spinning it that way. He simply saying he and his brother have their ups and downs, but they support each other and love each other.

But- that’s your interpretation of what he said and meant. And that’s the problem. Harry opened a can of worms. He brought all this back into the public realm. And he failed to shut it down by the words he chose.

His hesitating before responding spoke volumes imo. Him saying they’re on different paths right now seemed telling, talking about how there are always issues in a pressure- filled family/business like theirs, they have good days/bad days. He invited further speculation, conclusions for people to draw.

I don’t take it to mean they’re estranged. But it was an acknowledgement of tensions imo.
How large or small- who knows. Families have issues- true. But- he opened a door I assume the family would prefer remained shut.

He needed to either make it a condition that the subject not come up- or simply say- there is no rift. The end.

Last edited:
But- that’s your interpretation of what he said and meant. And that’s the problem. Harry opened a can of worms. He brought all this back into the public realm. And he failed to shut it down by the words he chose.

His hesitating before responding spoke volumes imo. Him saying they’re on different paths right now seemed telling, talking about how there are always issues in a pressure- filled family/business like theirs, they have good days/bad days. He invited further speculation, conclusions for people to draw.

I don’t take it to mean they’re estranged. But it was an acknowledgement of tensions imo.
How large or small- who knows. Families have issues- true. But- he opened a door I assume the family would prefer remained shut.

He needed to either make it a condition that the subject not come up- or simply say- there is no rift. The end.

Well, guess what? Siblings often have tensions between each other every now and then. That’s just how the cookie crumbles. Harry didn’t confirm a “rift”, but he went to talk about their love and support of each other and that most of the stories about their relationship is made up. They have a bond and love that most people simply don’t understand.

The press went on to spin his words and some people fell for the spin.

Well, guess what? Siblings often have tensions between each other every now and then. That’s just how the cookie crumbles. Harry didn’t confirm a “rift”, but he went to talk about their love and support of each other and that most of the stories about their relationship is made up. They have a bond and love that most people simply don’t understand.

Yes- they do. All families do. But it didn’t need to be discussed.

Harry did not say- yes, there is a rift. Fair enough. He failed to say- there is not a rift. And end it. Instead he rambled on about family issues- and acknowledged there are some. Make of it what you will. He opened the door. I can’t blame the media for his poor word choices in this case. Yes- they love each other, etc. But he needlessly opened the door imo.

My point is- Harry didn’t exercise good judgment with this. If he had to say something- say there isn’t a rift. Simple. For whatever reason- he opted out of the simplest, shortest answer that gave the press nothing.

Harry did not say- yes, there is a rift. Fair enough. He failed to say- there is not a rift. And end it. Instead he rambled on about family issues- and acknowledged there are some. Make of it what you will. He opened the door. I can’t blame the media for his poor word choices in this case. Yes- they love each other, etc. But he needlessly opened the door imo.

My point is- Harry didn’t exercise good judgment with this. If he had to say something- say there isn’t a rift. Simple. For whatever reason- he opted out of the simplest, shortest answer that gave the press nothing.

In my mind, it was unnecessary for Harry to be drawn on this subject. If unavoidable, he should have used the opportunity to deny there was any trouble between the brothers.

He said mentioned that a lot of what people are saying about his relationship with his brother is made up. The brothers talked about the ups and downs of family relationships in the 2018 Royal Foundation Forum.

Also, why are people coming down so hard on Harry? Hell, William should be the one straightening out the rumors. His brother has been going through a lot in watching his wife being torn another hole for no good reason. William should be speaking up and show some support of his brother, instead of being so damn silent and allowing this couple to just be slammed from every corner. Their close, but hell, say a couple of syllables, William.

In addition to the points made above by muriel and Erin9, it was very wrong of Harry to make that kind of statement about his relationship with William--a statement that is open to interpretation, and did more to stir up speculation than it did to shut it down--without William's consent or without giving him a heads-up, which he could have done at any time in the weeks since the documentary was filmed. It apparently took the Cambridges advisors by surprise, and is IMO indefensible. Harry and Meghan are not the only people who have feelings or can be hurt.

Hell, William should be the one straightening out the rumors. His brother has been going through a lot in watching his wife being torn another hole for no good reason. William should be speaking up and show some support of his brother, instead of being so damn silent and allowing this couple to just be slammed from every corner. Their close, but hell, say a couple of syllables, William.

I have to disagree. IMO, William has done the right thing by not discussing a private matter with the press. It is not a matter of state or a matter that needs to be shared with the public. This is probably one of the biggest errors of judgement on Harry's part, IMO.

I find it hard to believe that in order for ITV / Bradby to get the access and interviews that the questions / topics were not run by and agreed to by the Sussexes. I don't think that Harry's response to the question about his relationship with William was particularly articulate but that was not due to Harry being unaware that the question would be asked IMO.

Damn straight!!!!!

He said mentioned that a lot of what people are saying about his relationship with his brother is made up. The brothers talked about the ups and downs of family relationships in the 2018 Royal Foundation Forum.

Also, why are people coming down so hard on Harry? Hell, William should be the one straightening out the rumors. His brother has been going through a lot in watching his wife being torn another hole for no good reason. William should be speaking up and show some support of his brother, instead of being so damn silent and allowing this couple to just be slammed from every corner. Their close, but hell, say a couple of syllables, William.

I think that is what Meghan was saying when nobody asked her how she was feeling. Meaning, the Royal family. This is a woman is having her first child, & the media went crazy with BS. Everyday there was at least 2 or 3 different stories. & It pretty much started after their Tour of the Common Wealth last year. Everything went Great( except 1, when meghan had to leave the market place. Because there wasn't enough of security). That tour went amazing, the crowds, the coverage, etc.... And then all of sudden after the tour all these stories started. Megahan, getting up early to start work( OMG, the nerve of her), making Kate or Charlotte cry during fittings for the wedding. After that they ( the Media) were off to the races.

I do believe that there was a lot of Backdoor stuff going on at the Palace. There was a reason why Meghan & Harry moved out. I don't want to here about not enough room, they offered a bigger place. The thing was to keep the brothers together, have them raise their families together, blah blah blah. It would look great for the Royal family. But, like the crap that went on back with Charles & his brothers back in the day. They same thing seems to be playing out. Meghan did not mention any names, but it is loud and clear. I think that all of this has hurt Harry also. I mean it is not hard to do, call your brother ask how they are doing, etc..... show your support. I don't blame them for keeping the media at arms length( & that is some of the reason why
a lot of this Stories bashing them is coming from) HM, won't invite them is, so they can't make their money off of them. They have been quite all spring & summer. Now it is there turn to tell their story, & they did the interview so, their words can't be turned around and such. Good for them

I have to disagree. IMO, William has done the right thing by not discussing a private matter with the press. It is not a matter of state or a matter that needs to be shared with the public. This is probably one of the biggest errors of judgement on Harry's part, IMO.

While I do admire Harry for being open and even showing his emotions (he wouldn't be Harry if he didn't emote), the question about his relationship with his brother was out of line and Harry shouldn't have responded to it in any way, shape or form. He did though and its hit the public domain like a bomb exploded and we're talking collateral damage.

One thing I realize though is the fact that *any* kind of a rift can only happen between people that are close enough to create a rift (wide open space) already existing between them. ?

True.
No royals will ever admit to there being a rift between family members, unless it's official or witnesses have seen them throwing axes at each other whenever they meet behind closed doors.
William and Harry are far from the only royal siblings about whom the press write there is a feud or at least a discord. That happens in most monarchies at least a couple of times a year. And the usual response officially and unofficially is: There are no problems.

Harry could have used that one. Should have used that one. But he didn't. So the logic conclusion is that there is some sort of tension between the brothers at some level.
That doesn't mean they have vowed never to be in the same room ever again, just some sort of discord.
Royals are human beings too, sometimes they argue.

I think that is what Meghan was saying when nobody asked her how she was feeling. Meaning, the Royal family. This is a woman is having her first child, & the media went crazy with BS. Everyday there was at least 2 or 3 different stories. & It pretty much started after their Tour of the Common Wealth last year. Everything went Great( except 1, when meghan had to leave the market place. Because there wasn't enough of security). That tour went amazing, the crowds, the coverage, etc.... And then all of sudden after the tour all these stories started. Megahan, getting up early to start work( OMG, the nerve of her), making Kate or Charlotte cry during fittings for the wedding. After that they ( the Media) were off to the races.

Actually, I saw that statement differently. With all that has been going on including all of the above that you've mentioned, I took her statement to mean that perhaps Tom Bradby was the first member of the press to actually ask her how she was. Other media outlets out there probably have been in her face yelling questions from all angles with the intent of getting their own stories and basically using Meghan and her life for their own intents without thinking of how it may affect her. They didn't care if she was OK or not.

That's what I got from it anyways. I didn't take it to mean that no one in the BRF gave a damn if she was OK or not or even if the public cared if she was OK or not. Too much focus on slants and innuendo and reading between the lines on everything and it seemed like all the talk was about an inanimate object rather than a feeling human being.

Siblings love each other, but that doesn't mean they are always in love with each other and their actions. That's where Harry & William are right now. It's not Harry's job to constantly be a shield for William. He answered a question in the most diplomatic way possible. He didn't say he hated his brother. He just said...we're on different paths. If William wants people to think differently of his relationship with Harry, then William needs to do the work to change the narrative. Harry spoke his truth. It's out there. Ball is in William's court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom