Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When William and Catherine decided to pursue the Closer suit over the nude pix did any other member of the RF issue a public statement?
When Charles sued over publication of his letters did anyone else issue a statement in support?
I don’t recall any statements in support in similar situations, and more importantly, I don’t recall any hand wringing over their absence.
To me this is just a press gambit trying to stir up more controversy ala ‘see, the important royals agree w/ us.’
When a suit has been filed most lawyers tell their clients to zip it, thus I distinguish William’s support of Harry’s statement regarding dating Meghan as no lawsuit was involved.
The reference to privately funding the suit was most likely to derail claims they were misusing taxpayers’ money.

Harry did actually speak up for Kate during his first pregnancy. During one of his Afghanistan interviews he said he hoped and wished the press would give her the space and privacy she deserves to enjoy her pregnancy and baby.

There was another instance as well but I am forgetting the details.

I think that is right. Habitually stepping outside "the rules" is not going to be looked upon favourably by the "Bosses" ad infinitum. Then again, none of us really know what is actually going on, and to that extent, this is speculation.

I am very curious about what rules people feel Harry and Meghan have "habitually" stepped out of it?

All this hand wringing about them not doing whatever it is they are not doing. It just reminds me of how some, in 2013, felt similar about William and Kate.

It just goes back to my point. Harry and Meghan get pillared, even more than the baseline level we should expect that happens to all royals, for things that other members of the family have also done or been said to do.

If the family isn't behind Harry and Meghan, I feel that is more damning on the family then it is on Harry and Meghan. And it wouldn't shock me if that blows back on the family in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry did actually speak up for Kate during his first pregnancy. During one of his Afghanistan interviews he said he hoped and wished the press would give her the space and privacy she deserves to enjoy her pregnancy and baby.

There was another instance as well but I am forgetting the details.

There is one major difference that I'm seeing from where I'm sitting when it comes to members of the BRF speaking up for other members of the BRF such as you mention with the Afghanistan interview and William backing Harry when he first made a public statement at the beginning of his relationship with Meghan.

The difference? None of these instances involved lawsuits and lawyers and court cases. I think that's something we may need to consider here.

Just a thought.

If the family isn't behind Harry and Meghan, I feel that is more damning on the family then it is on Harry and Meghan. And it wouldn't shock me if that blows back on the family in the long run.

And as far as this lack of public support hurting the Firm in the long run, I’d have to take issue with that. Once you remove all the People Magazine and Good Morning America ‘hype’ the Sussexes are constitutionally irrelevant. If the monarchy was a popularity contest William would be the next king.

Sometimes silence speaks volumes and i think the Firm’s lack of public support tells us all we need to know.

And as far as this lack of public support hurting the Firm in the long run, I’d have to take issue with that. Once you remove all the People Magazine and Good Morning America ‘hype’ the Sussexes are constitutionally irrelevant. If the monarchy was a popularity contest William would be the next king.

Sometimes silence speaks volumes and i think the Firm’s lack of public support tells us all we need to know.

I wasn't saying anything about popularity :ermm:. And the dig about GMA or People is ridiculous especially since those same shows and magazine RAVE about the Cambridges too.

The family receiving blow back for how they are perceived to treat members of it, no matter how constitutionally important they are or not, is a reality that has precedent.

There is one major difference that I'm seeing from where I'm sitting when it comes to members of the BRF speaking up for other members of the BRF such as you mention with the Afghanistan interview and William backing Harry when he first made a public statement at the beginning of his relationship with Meghan.

The difference? None of these instances involved lawsuits and lawyers and court cases. I think that's something we may need to consider here.

Just a thought.

Very possible, but my read of Dman's post was more general support, pre-lawsuit? Perhaps I was wrong on that front.

She herself dropped her family for some reason ... who knows but there are many rumours.

Oh please, after the public behavior of her paternal family over the past few years you are blaming Meghan for the estrangement? Wow.

She herself dropped her family for some reason ... who knows but there are many rumours.

The BRF welcomed her with open arms but they aren't being supportive of her and Harry, publicly now. Why not? We will probably never know but the fact that not one of them have spoken out in support suggests that she and/or Harry is doing something wrong in their eyes.

Families don't have to support each other all the time. Families fall out all the time, all over the world. Why should be BRF be any different?

If they aren't showing 'love' there will be a reason. They aren't a fairytale - they are real people. They know Meghan and Harry. We don't. We shouldn't try and expect them to behave as if they always are lovey dovey with each other when, like other families, they will argue, fight, support each other etc. When someone stuffs up they will let them know and when someone does something well they will let them know.

I do see the lack of public support as a sign of a lack of private support as well. If the rumours are true that Harry didn't even consult with The Queen, Charles or William then that would explain why they aren't coming out and supporting him now.

Really, Iluvbertie? It seems the family had no problem quickly rallying around Prince Andrew after his accuser publicly called him out for allegedly having sex with her in Jeffery Epstein’s sex trafficking ring. We quickly got pictures of Andrew accompanying The Queen to church. The whole family were pictured in the cars, smiling from ear to ear and showing all their big Windsor teeth in the face of Jeffery’s death and Giuffre speaking out. They rallied around him twice since then. Which is why the outside forces aren’t all that upset over the allegations. The family is letting everyone know (including the outside forces) that they’re behind him 1000%.

Now, I know these cases are vastly different, but the lack of family support shown towards, Meghan, isn’t saying that she and Harry are doing something wrong. They’re not. It’s saying to all of us royal watchers that they really don’t care about the smear campaign that’s been launched against her. It’s like they’re leaving her out in the cold and leaving her venerable for the outside forces to attack her to their hearts desire. Something they wouldn’t do if this was happening to Camila or Catherine.

What kind of family would do?

Last edited:
There's another way to look at this too. When we look at the lawsuits, themselves, what jumps out at us is that these lawsuits are aimed at one aspect of their public life. The press. The royal reporters, such as Richard Palmer, work for said press.

I've seen over and over where a lot of people believe that the Queen, Charles, William among others should somehow show their support for what Harry and Meghan are now going through by releasing some kind of statement of support. Now, think about it. Should these people issue a statement, who is going to pick up on it and deliver it to the general public. The press and the royal reporters that work for said press. Perhaps the BRF solidarity is not giving the press and inch to make a mile with as they've been proven to do.

Other than the announcement of the lawsuit against the Mail On Sunday and Harry's heartfelt statement, there has been *nothing* whatsoever that is coming out from the palaces, the personal and public social media accounts or even a statement dropped here or there regarding this. The press, however is all over it and doing with it what they do best. Getting the public in an uproar over how the BRF is "acting".

To me, this has the kind of feeling from the press that we saw in the aftermath of Diana's death that was aimed at the Queen. Ye olde "show us you care" kind of bleating from the press in screaming letters. With no response from the BRF, the thinking is then again aimed to how *awful* the BRF are and there's some kind of inside familial war going on. This is what the press wants you to focus on and wants you to talk about. Not how awful and degrading and pushing their own agendas that has been happening for far too long.

Perhaps we're not seeing the solidarity of the entire BRF as a silent and strong wall against these stories because they're staying strong, staying together and not giving an inch and doing what they do best. Continuing their public roles, never explaining or complaining and let the lawsuits speak for themselves from here on out.

Lets face it. We only get our information on all this from the press and they're not really in good favor right now and *need* to redirect attention from what the MoS is facing and the group action suit against the others. Remember too when Diana died, it was the Queen that personally aired a speech honoring her. I don't believe she'd do this because of a lawsuit. In fact, I'd not be surprised if attorneys have actually advised the BRF to keep quiet about all this and let the justice system do their jobs.

This is a great post! And makes a lot of sense to me. I think after the hysteria surrounding Diana's death, the BRF decided they were not going to be bullied by the press like that again.

Last edited:

The kind of family that has been asked by Harry and Meghan, themselves, to not play into the scenario in public via the press due to advice from their lawyers that are handling the court cases. ;)

Really, Iluvbertie? It seems the family had no problem quickly rallying around Prince Andrew after his accuser publicly called him out for allegedly having sex with her in Jeffery Epstein’s sex trafficking ring. We quickly got pictures of Andrew accompanying The Queen to church. The whole family were pictured in the cars, smiling from ear to ear and showing all their big Windsor teeth in the face of Jeffery’s death and Giuffre speaking out. They rallied around him twice since then. Which is why the outside forces aren’t all that upset over the allegations. The family is letting everyone know (including the outside forces) that they’re behind him 1000%.

Now, I know these cases are vastly different, but the lack of family support shown towards, Meghan, isn’t saying that she and Harry are doing something wrong. They’re not. It’s saying to all of us royal watchers that they really don’t care about the smear campaign that’s been launched against her. It’s like they’re leaving her out in the cold and leaving her venerable for the outside forces to attack her to their hearts desire. Something they wouldn’t do if this was happening to Camila or Catherine.

I'm sure Harry & Meghan had the opportunity to visit with the Queen and or Charles in Scotland and be seen going to church with them as well, but they did not go up to Scotland to visit them. Don't put that on the Queen or Charles.

I don't recall statements of support for Catherine when the press was being hateful to her the first years after the wedding--and they were vicious. Go back and read some of the threads from that time.

And BTW, a comment about Catherine during an interview about other things, probably because Harry was asked a question about her pregnancy, is not the same a formal statement of support.

I know you feel very strongly about this, but my sense is there is a reason none of the outwards support you are seeking for Meghan is not forthcoming. In my mind it could be:

a) forthcoming shortly, and possibly delayed due to Meghan's maternity leave;

b) a measured decision to not necessarily get involved in the matter, as the legal process is underway;

c) perhaps displeasure from the "Bosses" of the BRF (i.e., the Queen, Charles and William) as M&H have possibly gone against their advice in a number of areas; or

d) a breakdown in family relations for whatever reason, with H&M being isolated from the others.

Standing as we are, it is difficult to tell what is driving these decisions, and we can only make educated guesses. That said, to me, it will have taken quite a lot of provocation for d) to happen as the family appear to have privately supported Harry through a number of his earlier tribulations (smoking cannibis or some other drug whilst a teenager, dressing in a Nazi uniform, getting pictured naked whilst in Vegas, entering into a fracas with the press when inebriated outside a nightclub....), and I suspect they continue to support him.

If the royal family weren’t okay with the attacks that, Meghan, has been hit with throughout this summer, we would’ve heard it by now. The outside forces would be writing about how The Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William and their aides aren’t happy with these unfair and gross attacks. The royals have a way of letting the outside forces know they’re going too far.

What folks are saying is that, Meghan, should just sit down and take the abuse on the chin.

I can picture what the family could be saying...

“Hey, Meghan, it’s not that bad that there’s an unfair smear campaign launched against you. Just focus on your duties and let them abuse you until they grow tired and maybe -just maybe- they will finally accept you for who you are.”

“Hey, Harry, don’t release a statement scolding the outside forces because they launched an unfair smear campaign against your wife throughout her pregnancy and while she was on maternity leave. Really, man, what the hell are you thinking?.”

I'm sure Harry & Meghan had the opportunity to visit with the Queen and or Charles in Scotland and be seen going to church with them as well, but they did not go up to Scotland to visit them. Don't put that on the Queen or Charles.

I don't recall statements of support for Catherine when the press was being hateful to her the first years after the wedding--and they were vicious. Go back and read some of the threads from that time.

And BTW, a comment about Catherine during an interview about other things, probably because Harry was asked a question about her pregnancy, is not the same a formal statement of support.

I am believe that the press was probably a little unkind to Catherine at first. But I find it hard to believe that they were near as vicious as they have been to Meghan since the beginning.

The outside forces did not launch a massive smear campaign against the Duchess of Cambridge. Now, she was attack during the courtship for not for not having some big time job and not coming from an aristocratic family that they thought William should’ve been dating, but Catherine didn’t face what, Meghan, is currently facing.

Yeah, Harry stood up to the press for both his stepmother and sister in-law. He didn’t have to release a formal statement. He stop up for them right in front of the outside forces face. He didn’t bite his tongue either. Not one person in the family has done that for Harry’s wife. Not one.

Also, Meghan, hasn’t done anything wrong to receive the abusive treatment she is receiving. So the whole argument that she and/or Harry have done something wrong to receive this kind of unfair treatment is bogus.

Last edited:
I am believe that the press was probably a little unkind to Catherine at first. But I find it hard to believe that they were near as vicious as they have been to Meghan since the beginning.

A main difference is that Catherine's immediate family closed ranks and never said a word, so she didn't have to deal with that, just Uncle Gary.
Many articles focused more on classism and the idea that because Catherine's mother's family was from the working class, Catherine did not know how to behave in the elevated circles of nobility and royalty and William tainted the blood pool by marrying her.

If the royal family weren’t okay with the attacks that, Meghan, has been hit with throughout this summer, we would’ve heard it by now. The outside forces would be writing about how The Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William and their aides aren’t happy with these unfair and gross attacks. The royals have a way of letting the outside forces know they’re going too far.

What folks are saying is that, Meghan, should just sit down and take the abuse on the chin.

I can picture what the family could be saying...

“Hey, Meghan, it’s not that bad that there’s an unfair smear campaign launched against you. Just focus on your duties and let them abuse you until they grow tired and maybe -just maybe- they will finally accept you for who you are.”

“Hey, Harry, don’t release a statement scolding the outside forces because they launched an unfair smear campaign against your wife throughout her pregnancy and while she was on maternity leave. Really, man, what the hell are you thinking?.”

All of this is pure speculation and the kind of stuff the "outside forces" are wont to write about without any credible sources to back it up.

We have absolutely *no* idea what is going on behind palace doors in regards to what the BRF members think, feel, or if they're pleased, displeased, grumpy, sleepy, bashful or dopey when it comes to this situation. The drawbridge is up and the portcullis lowered and the moat is filled with flesh eating piranhas. They're not talking. Period.

We can read whatever we like into the machinations of the "inner circle" of the BRF but without any kind of credible source, its pure speculation on our part and to be honest, sometimes we're no better than what those "outside forces" seem to portray in their articles for click bait. ;)

All of this is pure speculation and the kind of stuff the "outside forces" are wont to write about without any credible sources to back it up.

We have absolutely *no* idea what is going on behind palace doors in regards to what the BRF members think, feel, or if they're pleased, displeased, grumpy, sleepy, bashful or dopey when it comes to this situation. The drawbridge is up and the portcullis lowered and the moat is filled with flesh eating piranhas. They're not talking. Period.

We can read whatever we like into the machinations of the "inner circle" of the BRF but without any kind of credible source, its pure speculation on our part and to be honest, sometimes we're no better than what those "outside forces" seem to portray in their articles for click bait. ;)

Well said, Osipi.

The press was very unkind toward Kate during the dating years. And also very vicious toward Chelsy too. Perhaps more intrusive with Chelsy too given the pics they would publish of her.

Kate's treatment changed when she married in, but make no mistake, the press still did things that were demeaning toward her. But through it all, she had large segments of the press who were very kind toward her and presented her as a breath of fresh air, a solid family that didn't add to the sordid soup, and was seemingly very supported by the BRF.

With that said, I have found the treatment of Meghan, since the beginning, to be even worse than Kate--and that is saying something. Despite the revisionist history going on by the media, they never treated Meghan well. The negative headlines were constant before the wedding too. Whereas Kate was given a blank slate around her wedding, Meghan was not.

And of course now, Kate can do no wrong. That narrative may change if they ever tire of dragging Meghan.

Other things are at play too. The rise of social media, the further influence of the 24 hour news cycle, and the multitude of new news sources all play a role in the sheer volume of Meghan coverage. I mean Meghan has her own tab on the DM now. Even at the height of Kate mania around the wedding and then again around George's birth, the volume wasn't so unwieldy.

But the point is that this is not a competition. Kate was treated badly for a time, but that doesn't detract from how badly Meghan is being treated now.

Neither woman deserve media abuse. They both deserve to be treated as human beings, not characters in some national drama. That doesn't foreclose on giving substantive critiques. I am no Kate at all and have critiques aplenty, but that is different than all out attacking her. I am obviously a Meghan fan but have critiques there too.

Meghan's treatment is absolutely abominable and driven by a lot of disgusting factors and isms. Both these things can be true without somehow being some value judgement on either woman.

Last edited:
I have to say that I am especially disappointed in William. He used to impress me with the image of being very supportive and protective of his brother. Now it seems he has left him and his family to the wolves. There are ways to show support without a full statement. However, the BRF has appeared cold and for me that has changed how I look at them.

I totally agree with this full statement. I have to say that I am especially disappointed in William. He used to impress me with the image of being very supportive and protective of his brother. Now it seems he has left him and his family to the wolves. There are ways to show support without a full statement. However, the BRF has appeared cold and for me that has changed how I look at them.

Of course it could be described as it "appears to be". For all we know, they convene on a Saturday night under a full moon in the towers of Windsor Castle wearing period costumes from the royal archives, cackling with glee as they chant "don't let 'em read the ruby red of our lips" over and over while sipping the Queen's own special blend of honey mead. This strengthens their resolve to keep that stiff upper lip closed until the next full moon.

Of course I'm being facetious here. We just don't really *know* anything at all. At least I don't think I do. :D

Absolutely spot on...

You know; people look at me weird because I’m interested in the British Royal Family. I have had family members and friends laugh in my face because I follow the Windsor’s and I have defended this family against attacks for a long time. I mean a very long time. Before social media became a thing. Now, I can’t defend the family on this because I can recognize when they’re doing something wrong. And not showing family unity during this smear campaign is wrong on so many levels.

I know the royal family are just like any other family. They have disagreements within the family just like all other families. Early last year, the Sussexes and Cambridges talked about this during the Royal Foundation Forum. But one thing that got them through all the disagreements is that they’ve stuck together no matter what. Where in the hell is the family on the this smear campaign?

The outside forces have taken things up a notch with Meghan. There’s no doubt about it. The woman was literally pregnant with her child and the forces pretty much treated her like crap for literally touching her bump. I mean, every pregnant woman I have ever seen as done the same thing, but when Meghan did it, it was treated as a sin from the Holy Bible.

Ever since Harry and Meghan came back from their previous royal tour from down under, the outside forces decided they must take this couple down - down all the way to China Town and it hasn’t stopped. The unfair smear campaign has snowballed into something that appears to be uncontrollable because they’re not getting a morsel of pushback from The Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William and their aides. Not an ounce. That’s not only unfair but it’s cold. Colder than a Chicago winter.

Last edited:
The unfair smear campaign has snowballed into something that appears to be uncontrollable because they’re not getting a morsel of pushback from The Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William and their aides. Not an ounce. That’s not only unfair but it’s cold. Colder than a Chicago winter.

Perhaps the Queen, Charles and William hae been consistently advising Meghan & Harry over the last 18 months, and H&M have consistently not followed their advice. Who knows?

Well either way these next few weeks will be interesting.

Ever since Harry and Meghan came back from their previous royal tour from down under, the outside forces decided they must take this couple down all the way to China Town and it hasn’t stopped. The unfair smear campaign has snowballed into something that appears to be uncontrollable because they’re not getting a morsel of pushback from The Queen, Prince Charles and Prince William and their aides. Not an ounce. That’s not only unfair but it’s cold. Colder than a Chicago winter.

Oh I'm definitely on board with you, Dman, when it comes to talking about following the Windsors and having those that you're talking to have their eyes glaze over and you can see their thoughts drifting away to places unknown. It happens all the time here. I'm thankful I have you and others here to debate different ins and outs about things on a daily basis. We can look at things from all angles and that makes for really good conversation. :flowers:

Perhaps though we're looking for the kind of push back that is on par with what those infantile "outside forces" are exhibiting? In my thinking, pushing back using the same media and the aiming like kind of "official" statements directly to the instigators is playing their infantile game on the same infantile playground lobbying sticks and stones at the "bullies". Perhaps the BRF is above that? Perhaps the BRF chooses not to play their silly reindeer games and let their legal eagles handle this mess?

BTW: As far as a cold winter in Chicago, rumor has it that there is a lot of uncontrollable hell fire and damnation and fire and brimstone in "Chiraq" no matter what the season is. :ohmy:

Where in the hell is the family on the this smear campaign?

Just because the BRF isn't showing support the way some folks want them to show support does not mean they are not supportive in private.

We just don't know and the speculation here is almost as bad as the tabloids and social media.

Just because the BRF isn't showing support the way some folks want them to show support does not mean they are not supportive in private.

We just don't know and the speculation here is almost as bad as the tabloids and social media.

I'm also am beginning to wonder what level of "support" would satisfy everyone.

Let's move on please. Enough has been discussed as to whether or not the Royal Family are supportive of recent events in the lives of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex - we are in danger of going round in circles with the exact same points being made over and over again with no conclusion.

Tom Bradby's article in The Sunday Times mentioned the following about the relationships between Harry & Meghan and the rest of the royal family, that I thought is at least worth mentioning here - given his relationship with the couple. Hope that's ok with the mods.

"Throw in the reports of difficulties, splits and tensions within the wider royal family - some untrue or exaggerated, but not all - …"

Harry himself on the 'rift between the brothers'.

My take: they will always be brothers but currently they are in the 'bad days'-phase.

Harry himself on the 'rift between the brothers'.

My take: they will always be brothers but currently they are in the 'bad days'-phase.

They've been here before, will probably be there again. I think they are on a bad turn, as you said, but as Harry said: no matter what they will love and support each other at the end of the day.

That is what I took away. I hope they heal whatever is festering soon. I think they both benefit from being close and will only continue to benefit as their responsibilities in the family continue to grow, especially William.

A good portion of people also see this royal family as human beings and deserve the right to a private life like the rest of us do.

All families are different and familial relationships within them are as unique as the people having them.

Can I suggest that in order to glean more information of this royal family and the people within it, you read Robert Hardman's "Our Queen" released in 2011? Any Hardman book is well researched and factual and "Our Queen" has members of the British royal family themselves talking to the author about their family. ?

I also have a question for you. After reading your postings over time, I've noticed just how you strive to address a royal by their proper royal titles and their relationships to each other. Can I ask you why then do you refer to The Duchess of Sussex as "Meghan" only? That one has me scratching my head here.

I call her Meghan, Princess Harry, or The Duchess of Sussex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom