The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
The Mail continues to up the ante and the article below has already been copied by the Mirror.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...te-Meghan.html

To believe this tripe one would have to swallow that there was a senior aide in residence at Anmer Hall last Xmas who observed a row between the couples. And that Kate has discussed her feelings about Harry and Meghan with 'pals' and staff at KP, among other things.

Someone in the BRF and/or KP is going to have to do something fairly soon or the Fail and other tabloids are going to continue to assert that there is a real rift between the Cambridges and Sussexes. And this media campaign is going to embroil the whole senior BRF eventually if it's not stopped.

The policy of silence and ignoring it all only works IMO against sporadic attacks in specific articles, not with a sustained campaign like this one has turned out to be. This started in early November and it's now a month later.
It’s really annoying that the basis of assumption is that the Sussexes are moving out of KP and the Cambridges might not spend Christmas at Sandringham. The reality of it is those two things aren’t connected and certainly doesn’t suggest Cambridges and Sussexes hate each other or don’t get along. I’ve always found the narrative that they are besties to be quite irritating. These women have long established relationships in their lives and they’ve only met for less than 2 years. They are obviously connected by marrying two brothers, but they are also at different stages in life and often travel. I always doubted they’d sit around and braid each other’s hair while gossiping.

I also don’t take Charles as the type to meddle in familial relationships to the point of making the Cambridges invite Harry and Meghan if they didn’t want to. If they were upset with each other, they certainly hid it well last Christmas. And I have to laugh at the supposed teas for Kate to dish out advice. I don’t take her as the type to offer unsolicited advice and especially if it became clear to be unwanted.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They don't need microphones - just multiple sources.

Given the salary of the palace employees there are many who will supplement their wages by leaking what they hear around the palaces to the media - often mundane stuff but often very good and reliable scandals are leaked via this route.

We know from past history sometimes the leak is from a royal themselves (Diana and the Morton book), highly placed staff but mostly it is from the lower ranks within the household.
I was being facetious about the microphones.

Multiple sources would be more expected, and some of the numerous details in the article actually sounded fairly mundane, the kind of thing that lower level staff might overhear. What I thought was striking about the article was the sheer number of those details, and how many leaks there must have been, if there were actually any leaks: as I said, friends of William and Kate's, staff at Anmer, staff at KP, staff at BP, possibly elsewhere, too. To me that's the alarming thing, and indicates something seriously amiss, to a startling level. If there is any kernel of truth in any of what is being published, who is doing the leaking? No surprise that the DM is putting the worst possible construction on everything, but where are they getting all this dirt, and how many sources are there? It makes it hard to take the most serious allegations (a rift between William and Harry, and Meghan and Kate)as having any validity, because it's so hard to believe that that many sources spoke up all at the same time. In the case of Diana, details tended to come out in bits and pieces, over a period of time. The cumulative effect was powerful in that case, but what's in the MoS is more like an info dump, which makes it less credible to me.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

At least two things in that article are obviously twisted for the rift agenda.

It is not surprising that the Cambridge’s are planning to spend Christmas with the Middletons. They generally spend every other year in Bucklebury. And the Mail may think brother James said the family was getting together for Christmas days ago but I read it weeks ago. The Cambridges’ Christmas plans have nothing to do with the Sussexes.
And again the stupid story of moving to create distance between the families. I especially found the part about it being “rare for a member of the Royal family as important as Harry not to have a London base.” Umm, he’s only as important as Anne, Andrew and Edward-none of them have London bases.
I find the credibility of this to be highly questionable.
I do think it possible William had concerns about how quickly his brother got serious but I feel he is pragmatic enough that once it was a done deal he’d try to be supportive.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

If we recall ..William went out of his way to show public support to Meghan last year on more than one occasion.

The media need to sell papers/clicks. Happy getting along families are boring. The Sussexes/Cambridges are very good at not being caught in public, leading very private lives which of course hampers sales of pics and stories.

Even if there is some truth to some of it...most likely minor things have been blown up into big things. Better to reserve judgement and see how things fall into place.

LaRae
Old 12-01-2018, 09:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Btw, this isn’t the first Christmas Cambridges haven’t spent at Sandringham. So were they pissed at Harry in previous years too?
Old 12-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

I can't remember but most likely it was a feud between them and Camilla/Charles etc. They just re-use the same stories and change the names around.

LaRae
Old 12-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
At least two things in that article are obviously twisted for the rift agenda.

It is not surprising that the Cambridge’s are planning to spend Christmas with the Middletons. They generally spend every other year in Bucklebury. And the Mail may think brother James said the family was getting together for Christmas days ago but I read it weeks ago. The Cambridges’ Christmas plans have nothing to do with the Sussexes.
And again the stupid story of moving to create distance between the families. I especially found the part about it being “rare for a member of the Royal family as important as Harry not to have a London base.” Umm, he’s only as important as Anne, Andrew and Edward-none of them have London bases.
I find the credibility of this to be highly questionable.
I do think it possible William had concerns about how quickly his brother got serious but I feel he is pragmatic enough that once it was a done deal he’d try to be supportive.
Actually, Anne, Ed and Andrew all DO have London bases. Harry and Meghan may well keep NC as well for the time being. KP never said they were not.

And per ILuvBertie's point, it is absolutely standard practice to not name your sources. Many credible stories come from unnamed sources precisely to protect that source. That isn't what makes this smear campaign suspect. Its the publication of a certain version of a story, only for that story to be republished with details confused, conflated or contrived, often times by the same publication!

I think like literally every family, the Cambridges and the Sussexes have their moments. The BRF is a dysfunctional bunch which happens whenever you have that much power, prestige and ego involved. The siblings have all sold each other out of the Queen's kids and the Queen and Margaret had extraordinary amounts of drama when they were young too. Before them, the Queen's father and his brother. Unfortunately for the BRF, family issues that most families keep to themselves becomes the national drama for the masses to consume.

IF there is more enduring friction or trouble between the Cambridges and Sussexes, IMO it comes down to the brothers. They are the born royals, they are the bosses/leads in the hierarchy, they call the shots. Making Meghan the Yoko Ono is a cheap shot. At the end of the day, the buck stops with the brothers'. So if something is up at KP, they all need to get it together. And soon.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:58 PM
Nobility

As a long time royal watcher, I'll just have to say that I find KP's handling of this situation extremely shamefully. I am wondering if it is down to sheer incompetence or whether something else is at play....

I didn't give any of these stories credence but this has long passed the point where 'steady silence' pays off & now I am wondering whether there really is something to the rumour of splitting offices & that it may very well be for the better for the Sussexes. Whatever boundaries were established for the Cambridges, there seems to be none for the Sussexes.

It boggles my mind how ANYONE at KP could think that they are not mismanaging this situation.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

It’s also interesting to see how some of these things are now coming out about the wedding that was SIX MONTHS ago. If it was so dramatic where were they then? It’s also the way that it’s being twisted. All of sudden now Cambridges aren’t coming to Christmas because they’ve got beef with the Sussexes? News flash, but the Cambridges not coming to Sandringham for Christmas with the royal family is OLD news. It happened long before Meghan supposedly “changed” Harry. And it’s suspect that these supposedly tension only comes out AFTER the announcement of Frogmore Cottage.

As for the reports of William not warming up to Meghan, William actually stuck up for Meghan very early on. I remember Rebecca English tried to stir the pot and published an article about William having problem with the statement Harry issued and basically blaming the whole drama on Meghan while Harry was out of reach in Caribbean. Meghan, as a royal gf then, obviously would not have the luxury of defending herself. I wouldn’t have been surprised if that was just left unaddressed. However, William did go above and beyond and issued a statement saying he supports Harry and Harry’s need to support those closest to him and their privacy. I think that was another early indication to us how serious this relationship even though half of the royal commentators were still dismissing her as a fling.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
It’s also interesting to see how some of these things are now coming out about the wedding that was SIX MONTHS ago.

As for the reports of William not warming up to Meghan, William actually stuck up for Meghan very early on. I remember Rebecca English tried to stir the pot and published an article about William having problem with the statement Harry issued and basically blaming the whole drama on Meghan while Harry was out of reach in Caribbean. Meghan, as a royal gf then, obviously would not have the luxury of defending herself. I wouldn’t have been surprised if that was just left unaddressed. However, William did go above and beyond and issued a statement saying he supports Harry and Harry’s need to support those closest to him and their privacy. I think that was another early indication to us how serious this relationship even though half of the royal commentators were still dismissing her as a fling.
Apparently the family drama created by the unnamed estranged family was enough drama at the time. Or the tabloid writers hadn’t heard these new stories-tiara, air fresheners, bridesmaid fitting, last Christmas- yet. So where are they coming from? It is odd. It does seem like one writer writes something and it becomes truth without any real reason and is repeated over and over again by many publications without any verification.

Thanks for the reminder about William’s statement. I had forgotten that. So even IF he had private doubts about his brother’s whirlwind romance, in public he had Harry’s back.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Apparently the family drama created by the unnamed estranged family was enough drama at the time. Or the tabloid writers hadnít heard these new stories-tiara, air fresheners, bridesmaid fitting, last Christmas- yet. So where are they coming from? It is odd. It does seem like one writer writes something and it becomes truth without any real reason and is repeated over and over again by many publications without any verification.

Thanks for the reminder about Williamís statement. I had forgotten that. So even IF he had private doubts about his brotherís whirlwind romance, in public he had Harryís back.
My point about the timing is that usually the most whining is done when itís in the midst of things or right after as emotions are still running high. However, who complains about minor things 6 months afterwards when the world has moved on?

And yes that was interesting. RE ran the story and expected to get away with it. She started to back peddle once William released that statement. I think even she was surprised that he would speak up instead of just letting it go like most stories.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I was being facetious about the microphones.

Multiple sources would be more expected, and some of the numerous details in the article actually sounded fairly mundane, the kind of thing that lower level staff might overhear. What I thought was striking about the article was the sheer number of those details, and how many leaks there must have been, if there were actually any leaks: as I said, friends of William and Kate's, staff at Anmer, staff at KP, staff at BP, possibly elsewhere, too. To me that's the alarming thing, and indicates something seriously amiss, to a startling level. If there is any kernel of truth in any of what is being published, who is doing the leaking? No surprise that the DM is putting the worst possible construction on everything, but where are they getting all this dirt, and how many sources are there? It makes it hard to take the most serious allegations (a rift between William and Harry, and Meghan and Kate)as having any validity, because it's so hard to believe that that many sources spoke up all at the same time. In the case of Diana, details tended to come out in bits and pieces, over a period of time. The cumulative effect was powerful in that case, but what's in the MoS is more like an info dump, which makes it less credible to me.
I think that what's happening in this case is that reporters are "on the scent" and are reaching out to their contacts in the royal fold and getting information and/or confirmation. There may be courtiers out there who know things and won't ring up a reporter and blab but if a reporter reaches out and asks, they will spill the beans likely because the reporter was calling in a favor, they want to bank goodwill and/or they are on friendly terms with the reporter.

Of course once the reporter gets the nugget and takes it back to headquarters then it snowballs from there. I do believe that insiders are revealing and confirming things, but still these stories have to be looked at with a critical eye.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:16 AM
Nobility

In relation to the current media issues Iím sure the Sussexí are being advised on how to handle the situation. Wasnít Samantha Cohen (the queenís former assistant private secretary) sent to guide as well as work with the couple? At least itís all one big happy family with the queen & M/H according to some Meghan fans So Iím more inclined to believe she has the coupleís best interest at heart and the way the ongoing media gossip is being dealt with is satisfactory to those in charge with dealing with such matters
Old 12-02-2018, 07:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Royals and their staff know that if they go after the media saying what they have reported is not true they will have to prove it. How can you prove two people get on? Unless they can say Meghan and Kate have never disagreed on anything at all? Any official statement will only intensify the issue - look at Harry's statement about Meghan's privacy and the furore that created.
I suspect there is an element of truth behind these stories - Meghan and her team probably asked to scent the chapel, there probably was some sort of issue with the tiara Kate may well have cried at the dress fitting. How does KP go after the media when really the issue is now that these things happened but the sentiment behind them? Did Kate demand to scent the chapel or just enquire if she could (bearing in mind it was widely reported Kate and William had scented candles at their wedding). Just like the whole move to Frogmore Cottage - the media have reported the fact they are moving, which is true, but then added comments that its because of a rift. More likely its because quite simply, there isn't any room for the Sussex's at KP with every apartment taken up and despite reports to the contrary the Queen wouldn't kick someone out to make room for them.
I think the royals by and large go by the "never complain, never explain", if they start reporting on gossip like this they are expected to do the same every time something gets said and that would require hundreds of PR people every day working non stop.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
As a long time royal watcher, I'll just have to say that I find KP's handling of this situation extremely shamefully. I am wondering if it is down to sheer incompetence or whether something else is at play....
I think this is incompetence by KP. This is not the first time where the handlings of KP are mind boggling to me.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Heir Apparent

If, big IF, months ago, Meghan and Kate had a tiff over something, (not a relationship destroying event)but are mature enough to move on, how does KP deny it ever happened? They have to be careful about picking their battles with the press.

What is so insidious about this is it seems the papers are taking many normal events that occur in most families but twisting them to present a false picture of constant drama. It provides entertainment to those who crave it and thrive on it.

And all these things supposedly took place months and months ago , independent of each other but are now being linked together in one narrative as if they are related.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There is still one thing that totally baffles me about this Meghan/Kate feud thing. It was stated and reported in quite a few places that it was Buckingham Palace that released the press statement. As Meghan and Kate's offices are at Kensington Palace, why would Buckingham Palace release the statement. Unless it was supposedly meant to be coming from *the* source, the Queen, herself?

The more I think about it, the more I'm realizing these stories of a "feud" are really mostly about trivial things that cannot be validated or proven to be false.

Tsunamis in teacups to keep the tea warm in winter is quite the innovation eh?
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I think this is incompetence by KP. This is not the first time where the handlings of KP are mind boggling to me.
Oh really, I didn't know. Can you tell me what happened?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:04 AM
Royal Highness

Now the Cambridges are not coming to Sandringham for Christmas because of beefing with the Sussexes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...stmas-Day.html

William and Kate were going to split time with their families this year. They are going to have to show up of the tabloids will take it as conformation of the "feud".
Old 12-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I seriously don't believe there's been any real conflict between any of the royal family. Not Meghan and Kate. Not Harry and William. Its like a game of "telephone". A little snippet when repeated and passed on enough, grows tentacles and stingers and the snippet grows into a full blooded war with a knight in shining armor and a nemesis plotting to overthrow the monarchy.

You can't make this kind of stuff up. Its bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
Now the Cambridges are not coming to Sandringham for Christmas because of beefing with the Sussexes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...stmas-Day.html

William and Kate were going to split time with their families this year. They are going to have to show up of the tabloids will take it as conformation of the "feud".
Things will go as planned in the first place. The tabloids do not and never will control the royal family and the royal family will never stoop to playing to the tabloids to prove anything.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings