The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-01-2018, 01:22 AM
Serene Highness

They put the words "rift" and "tensions" in quotation marks to avoid a lawsuit. I am glad some press is starting to push back on this garbage.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

I, for one, refuse to believe that either of these women are so immature and tactless that they would get into a state of enmity.
Kate is, or can be, a lifeline for Meghan when she is unsure of something or of how to proceed in a new situation.
And Meghan will be the one person who understands Kate’s situation, the person she can let off steam with. I’ve two sisters in law, and I treasure my relationships with them.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-01-2018, 01:54 AM
Serene Highness

The Fail won't let this go. Now it's claiming similarities of Kate and Meghan to Wallis Simpson and the Queen Mother

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...en-Mother.html
Old 12-01-2018, 03:14 AM
Courtier

The rise of the Internet & social media means these stories whizz around the world in seconds. It was awful before but much worse now as they fuel online hate. We know that they're all exaggerated and/or twisted or downright lies because eventually the truth emerges. One example is a persistent story before Kate & William were married that Carole Middleton had made a social faux pas when meeting the Queen. The Daily Mail repeated it over & over for years until the palace announced just before the wedding that the Queen had invited the Middletons to Windsor & it would be their first meeting. There are scores of similar examples, all designed to denigrate their targets, who are usually female.

I'd like to see William & Harry take a tough line now & say they aren't tolerating it & will take legal action against news media. I think the old royal motto of "never complain, never explain" is unfit for this digital age. It should change to "facts not fiction" before the youngest family members start being vilified online, fuelled by a toxic press.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

The problem is if they comment on every story that isn't true they are exposed when there is some truth to any not so positive stories. In some ways the royals "never explain never complain" mantra works as it plays the media off each other, they are exposed when they write contrasting stories about the same events/people etc meaning if stories that may be true for all we know get treated as 'made up' by the public. This whole saga with Meghan and Kate shows that - before the wedding they were 'besties' with Kate helping Meghan out etc now they "feuding". In many ways the royals are better letting the media make fools of themselves.
Old 12-01-2018, 04:27 AM
Courtier

I agree they shouldn't comment on every story but I think they could take action when a paper publishes sustained or persistent lies as a blatant campaign to malign, which is what we're seeing now. The alternative is to let the tabloids continue, which demonises the target women & whips up online hate against them. I can't envisage this improving without some intervention.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Suzanne Moore of the Guardian on 'alleged cat-fights' between Kate and Meghan.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...c-royal-family

Suzanne Moore is not saying that the claims in the Telegraph's article are false. On the contrary, she is suggesting they might well be true (personally, I think they are). Her point in the article is only that, even if the claims are true, they shouldn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Verseau View Post
The Fail won't let this go. Now it's claiming similarities of Kate and Meghan to Wallis Simpson and the Queen Mother

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...en-Mother.html

When the press is comparing Kate to the Queen Mother and Meghan to Wallis, it is clear who is winning the PR battle. It looks that the perception of some posters here that Kate was looking "weak" and coming out badly from that alleged feud was a little premature.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

This is the sort of thing that was being reported right through the 1980s about Charles and Diana - the tabloids kept saying there were problems while the more 'respectable' papers either outright denied it or said there was no proof.

Then in 1992 what the tabloids had been saying all along was proven to be correct.

Whether there is any truth to these stories I don't know but I am not going to dismiss them out of hand for the simple reason that they have been right many times in the past (and yes they have been wrong as well).

The tabloid press employ many reporters who are on the royal beat and are regulars at royal events. We know, from the past, that there are many staff in the royal households who supplement their pay by 'leaking' stories to the press. The lower level staff don't have to sign any form of non-disclosure agreement, especially if they aren't expected to come into contact with the family but they are still in the palaces so hear things etc.

Simply refusing to believe the possibility of any of these stories because they don't suit a person's imagined image of a perfect couple is the same as the person who prefers to believe all the negative stories and never any of the positive ones.

Personally I prefer to keep an open mind, believing that there is 'no smoke without fire' but how much of a fire there really is we may never know.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm so sick and tired of these stories. They are first and foremost extremely sexist. What these tabloids are doing now is gutter reporting.

If Kate and Meghan aren't the best of friends, who cares?! These are two women joined together by their husbands but that doesn't mean you have to become besties. This narrative is again, sexist. You can respect and like someone, but it doesn't have to be friendship.

In this century, there is no place anymore for these type of stories.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:17 AM
Serene Highness

Kate is not winning the PR war. If she were, her statement at Leicester about Harry and Meghan's baby would have ended this. Now the tabloids feel embolden. It's out to make Meghan look like a diva and Kate can't control her staff; the latter is not a good look for a future queen. St George's Chapel , Smell-gate, looks like a coordinated attack between KP and Windsor staff. They need to do a mole hunt to find out who is doing this. This mess is tainting future events this month: the Diplomatic reception, Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace, Christmas at Sandringham. The focus will be on Kate and Meghan - who shows up where, body language, the whole shebang. They need to squash this.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Kate is not winning the PR war. If she were, her statement at Leicester about Harry and Meghan's baby would have ended this. Now the tabloids feel embolden. It's out to make Meghan look like a diva and Kate can't control her staff; the latter is not a good look for a future queen. St George's Chapel , Smell-gate, looks like a coordinated attack between KP and Windsor staff. They need to do a mole hunt to find out who is doing this. This mess is tainting future events this month: the Diplomatic reception, Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace, Christmas at Sandringham. The focus will be on Kate and Meghan - who shows up where, body language, the whole shebang. They need to squash this.
There is no PR "war". The only ones interested in all this are the tabloid writers and those that read the tabloid's words. Most likely, all of this is considered by KP staff and any other palace staff as pure drivel and suitable for bird cage liners.

The Diplomatic Reception and the Christmas family holidays will go on like they always do and once again, the tabloids (as Charlotte nicely tells them) "are not coming".

I think you give the tabloids way too much credibility, Madame Verseau.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-01-2018, 07:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Oh please can we stop this over-the-top drama for a second ? "Coordinated attack" ? what is that ? A blitzkrieg against Meghan ? Cmon.

If you bother to take a look at some headlines of the 80's and the 90's it was exactly the same ! Princess "Pushy" Michael vs Diana, then Diana vs Sarah, then Diana and Sarah vs Anne etc ...

Now all these stories are exacerbated by the social medias (hello clickbaits) and escaped the random royal section of some British tabloîds for the headlines of « Entertainment weekly », because with Meghan and her status it’s just too good to play the « Princess Diary III, the revenge of the in-laws » American style.

It’s part of the job, and let’s say it’s just peanuts compared to the good’ol days of the « War of the Wales », still mourned by some « so called » journalists (and yes i’m talking to you Richard Kay).

People just need to calm down a bit …

PS : the Windsor smell story is just HILARIOUS !
Old 12-01-2018, 07:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I have to say, that's very american way of looking at the whole situation. But it's the BRF, they have their own way of dealing with stuff like that and I hope they won't do things differently this time. Explaining or trying to deny things would only backfire. They just have to ignore them until the press will find something else to write about.

Or the rumours are true, in which case there are fun times ahead of us.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
This is the sort of thing that was being reported right through the 1980s about Charles and Diana - the tabloids kept saying there were problems while the more 'respectable' papers either outright denied it or said there was no proof.

Then in 1992 what the tabloids had been saying all along was proven to be correct.

Whether there is any truth to these stories I don't know but I am not going to dismiss them out of hand for the simple reason that they have been right many times in the past (and yes they have been wrong as well).

The tabloid press employ many reporters who are on the royal beat and are regulars at royal events. We know, from the past, that there are many staff in the royal households who supplement their pay by 'leaking' stories to the press. The lower level staff don't have to sign any form of non-disclosure agreement, especially if they aren't expected to come into contact with the family but they are still in the palaces so hear things etc.

Simply refusing to believe the possibility of any of these stories because they don't suit a person's imagined image of a perfect couple is the same as the person who prefers to believe all the negative stories and never any of the positive ones.

Personally I prefer to keep an open mind, believing that there is 'no smoke without fire' but how much of a fire there really is we may never know.

If there are staff that supplement their pay by ‘leaking’ stories’, their morals are low, so fabricating stories isn’t beneath them.

A few weeks ago, UK press said Catherine was guiding Meghan, now it’s that they’re enemies. Some reporters on the royal beat appear not to be able to keep their fabrications straight. Being regulars at royal events is meaningless if stories are made up by someone with no morals & only wants to make money.

First it was reported in the Telegraph that the Cambridges & Sussexes shared a love of scented candles at their respective weddings. Now a tabloid story is quoting sources that Meghan supposedly wanted to use air fresheners, no mention of shared love of candles with the Cambridges. I guess now that sources have new bills to pay, reporters have forgotten what was written before, or they think everyone is stupid & won’t remember.

Personally I believe if the source is rubbish & it reads like rubbish, it’s rubbish!
Old 12-01-2018, 09:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

So far as the accuracy of all the negative press goes, some of it is clearly trolling for reactions, such as the whole Wallis vs. the Queen Mother narrative, but aside from that, like Iluvbertie I'm getting some deja vu circa 1982+ vibes. Some of the rumors are oddly specific. None of us have any idea what relationships really are, or how much truth there is to any of these rumours, and it may be years before we find out if any of it at all was valid, but I'm in wait and see mode.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:39 AM
Serene Highness

I am not giving the tabloids credibility because they don't back up anything they say; nor do they put their sources on the record by naming them. The reporting is rampant and if a lie is repeated often enough it is taken as truth.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Courtier

A couple of folks have mentioned the true stories that were being leaked in the early 90s...and yes, there are always some true stories that leak out of the palace. As much as we (and the BRF) like to think they keep tight control and their staff would never blab, staff have always blabbed. As long as there have been newspapers, there have been nuggets of actual complaints from disgruntled royal employees making their way into print. And for all that time there have also been as many or more fabrications in print. And there have been instances where the truth was misunderstood and mangled by the time it got out. And there have been plenty of times where the fact leaked said more about the staff member doing the whispering and job satisfaction within the palace than about the royal in question.

Over time, the truth rises to the surface and those are the reports we recall most vividly. But chances are we’re hearing as much or more nonsense as we are truth. And in the case of the Kate and Meghan “feud,” the details read too much like standard, trumped up, catfight narratives that people like to make up any time women are involved. They just sound more like a bad made for TV movie than the way people act in real life.

And the one confirmed fact that so much of this new outpouring hinges on—the move from KP to Frogmore estate—is hardly the huge, “we must put great distance between us” move that these stories seem to treat it as. They’ll be less than an hour’s drive apart. For a family that jaunts off to Norfolk here and Scotland there, that’s hardly a major distance. These four could conceivably all be having Sunday dinners together at Clarence House quite easily even after the move to Frogmore.

Frankly, the stories that are circulating are insulting to everyone involved: Kate, Meghan, and both of their husbands, for that matter. These are four people who have at least shown us that in public they know how to be gracious and careful. I would never expect them to always be best friends behind closed doors, I don’t expect that they are perfect or without their disagreements, but there seems to be so little to support the idea that they’re driving each other crazy.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post

Over time, the truth rises to the surface and those are the reports we recall most vividly. But chances are we’re hearing as much or more nonsense as we are truth. And in the case of the Kate and Meghan “feud,” the details read too much like standard, trumped up, catfight narratives that people like to make up any time women are involved. They just sound more like a bad made for TV movie than the way people act in real life.
Yes, this was certainly true in the '80's and '90's, and I would assume it's true now; we just have no way of knowing how much if any of the current tittle tattle has any validity.

I do believe that there may be something underlying some of the stories making the rounds: the wedding-related stories I cited seem like the kinds of things that could be applied to just about any wedding anywhere and don't have too much importance and significance. Weddings are first class generators of drama even when they aren't royal weddings so all that doesn't seem as though it indicates anything about the relationships within the royal family. Even if they are true, they aren't significant.

Ditto for the move to Frogmore Cottage. The need for space, privacy and a place for children to play seems like much more likely reason to move than a feud with the Cambridges for which there is zero evidence.

The other stuff, who knows. We'll see.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think perhaps its important to remember just why we link articles here. We state opinions and to back up our opinions, we rely on *credible* sources to validate what we are saying.

Many, many tabloid stories posted about the relationships between members of the British royal family rank right up there with the headlines of a "gin soaked Camilla plotting the demise of the Queen" type of stories.

I believe we could all use a bit more discretion on what we deem to be credible and what can be deemed as bird cage liners.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

Meanwhile back in the kitchen at Nottingham Cottage, Meghan and Kate are sipping tea and laughing at the dogs begging for scraps and yelling at the kids "no running in the house!" as they laugh their heads off at the silly nonsense the tabloids are up to. In fact, I'd even wager half of my last piece of brown bread with butter that they have a contest to see who can come up with the silliest one for their next tęte-ŕ-tęte. Of course this is pure nonsense but its possible.

But seriously folks, imagination is a wonderful thing and as we don't know these royals personally, we use our imagination a lot and so do the tabloids. Ralph Waldo Emerson said it nicely that "We live by our imagination, our admirations and our sentiments".

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings