The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Commoner

The Queen watching Borat! Now that conjures up an image! Saying that, I read in one of the British papers after the Queen Mother died that William had said she did an Ali G impression a few times at various family dinners, and that really boggles the mind!
I can't imagine that anyone in the royal family DIDN'T see "The Queen". Wouldn't the temptation be too great to see just how close (or not) to reality the movie actually got? Michael Sheen played Tony Blair in a British TV drama about the relationship between Blair and Brown and said in an interview that various Westminster insiders asked him at the time who had leaked information to the writers?!!
I bet it's a case of nobody will admit to watching the movie, but all of them saw it!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
I can find nothing to suggest that Edward & Sophie are the only guests at any viewing of DVDs at Windsor or Balmoral, nothing also to corroborate a request for Borat.
It was actually the second Sacha Baron-Cohen film, Bruno, if you believe The Sun: Royal Family request private screening of Bruno

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 AM
Commoner

That's even more bizarre to imagine!!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
I love this photo of Charles and Zara hugging it out at Royal Ascot last year (scroll down). Charles looks so taken aback!
No, Not taken aback, bemused! The first time I saw it it really cracked me up . . . . . still does, actually!
Old 08-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Kay View Post
It was actually the second Sacha Baron-Cohen film, Bruno, if you believe The Sun: Royal Family request private screening of Bruno
You know me and my squashing rumours but this could quite easily have been a request made by any senior member of staff, they are just presuming because it came on a BP email that it is for HM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The first time I saw it it really cracked me up . . . . . still does, actually!
I have every sympathy for Charles, it probably equates to my face when a nanny let a sticky fingered grandchild cuddle my silk trousered legs!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I hope, its ok to post my question about a late member of the BRF in this thread. I often heard different rumours and so I'd like to know, if somebody knows or has read about how the relationships between Princess Margaret and Princess Diana, Princess Margaret and Sarah Duchess of York have been? And had Margaret a good relationship to Prince Philip (I know of course that she has been very close to her sister HM)? Thanks
Old 08-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator

There is a discussion of the relationship between Princess Margaret and Diana in the Diana's relationships...with members of the Royal Family thread.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Aristocracy

I have a question and I am not sure where I should place it, but here seemed just as good a place as any. I know the Queen (and I'm guessing Prince Philip) are close to Sarah Chatto and Viscount Linley but what about their other nieces and nephews, the children of Prince Philip's sisters. I've seen photos of Philip's sister Sophie at the Windsor Horse Show, but what about the children? Anybody have any idea or pictures about the relationship. Also, was the Queen close to any of his sisters or his mother (I know she lived at Buckingham Palace before she died).
Old 08-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
I have a question and I am not sure where I should place it, but here seemed just as good a place as any. I know the Queen (and I'm guessing Prince Philip) are close to Sarah Chatto and Viscount Linley but what about their other nieces and nephews, the children of Prince Philip's sisters. I've seen photos of Philip's sister Sophie at the Windsor Horse Show, but what about the children? Anybody have any idea or pictures about the relationship. Also, was the Queen close to any of his sisters or his mother (I know she lived at Buckingham Palace before she died).

I suspect that they aren't as close simply due to the distance involved.

Sarah and Linley grew up round the corner at Kensington Palace and shared school rooms etc with Andrew and Edward.

Philip's sisters mostly had their children before Elizabeth and Philip married (although a couple were born in the late 40s) and grew up in Germany before, during and after WWII so the closeness simply wouldn't have been there.

I am guessing to a large extent.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2rhyme View Post
I've read in a book about Lord Louis Mountbatten that the Queen had a good relationship to her mother in law, Princess Alice.

"But twenty years later at Buckingham Palace she had more influence on the Queen than anyone. The Queen adored her and she adored the Queen. She is very fond of her mother, but got on infinitely better with my sister.", Lord Mountbatten about his sister Alice and her relationship with the Queen.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
"But twenty years later at Buckingham Palace she had more influence on the Queen than anyone. The Queen adored her and she adored the Queen. She is very fond of her mother, but got on infinitely better with my sister.", Lord Mountbatten about his sister Alice and her relationship with the Queen.
Why am I not the least bit surprised that Dickie would say this?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:35 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I had the same impression, Roslyn. He was always humble.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Commoner

Off topic a bit but I am really feeling for PC and Camilla right now.
Unfortunate timing for the engagement. The Dateline interview was overshadowed by the engagement and the answer to one small question has opened up an entire can of worms.

I also feel Prince William should have a family photocall with Camilla to show unity, unless PW really doesn't care about the public turmoil or his father (which I sincerely doubt).
Old 11-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by berengere View Post
Off topic a bit but I am really feeling for PC and Camilla right now.
Unfortunate timing for the engagement. The Dateline interview was overshadowed by the engagement and the answer to one small question has opened up an entire can of worms.

I also feel Prince William should have a family photocall with Camilla to show unity, unless PW really doesn't care about the public turmoil or his father (which I sincerely doubt).

I am actually coming to the opinion that he doesn't care about his father at all. He expects his father to pay for things but really doesn't care about his father's feelings at all. I used to think they were close and loving but now I don't. I can't say what has changed my opinion but I simply don't think William has any feelings for his father or his father's family, with the possible exception of the Queen but even she doesn't seem to be respected by him any more. Just feelings I know but the very fact that he only spoke to them hours before the announcement speaks volumes about his attitude.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I simply don't think William has any feelings for his father or his father's family, with the possible exception of the Queen but even she doesn't seem to be respected by him any more. Just feelings I know but the very fact that he only spoke to them hours before the announcement speaks volumes about his attitude.
I know it's off-topic, but I would just like to make a point here. Prince William will have had to have asked the Queen's permission to marry, so the engagement won't have come out of the blue to her. I suspect that they may have intended to announce the engagement a week or so earlier, but the death of Catherine's grandfather prevented it.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frideswide View Post
I know it's off-topic, but I would just like to make a point here. Prince William will have had to have asked the Queen's permission to marry, so the engagement won't have come out of the blue to her. I suspect that they may have intended to announce the engagement a week or so earlier, but the death of Catherine's grandfather prevented it.

The reports are that he contacted her that morning and asked her then. That is totally disrespectful He should have asked her before asking Kate.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Who is to say that he didn't mention it before or asked her prior? For all we know, he could he have asked the Queen but hadn't asked Kate yet. Thus him asking the Monday/Tuesday might have been asking again because he now had Kate's answer.

I doubt that we or the press are privy to ALL of the facts on how permission was asked from the Queen.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

The reports are just that he contacted her. We don't know what he contacted her for. I haven't seen any evidence to indicate that William has ill-feelings or holds any level of disrespect for his father's side of the family. So with that going forward, it makes total sense to say that the Queen knew he had proposed and he was merely informing her that he wished to make the engagement public that afternoon.

I cannot under any foreseeable circumstances see William flouting protocol in the face like that and getting engaged prior to the Queen's consent.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I am actually coming to the opinion that he doesn't care about his father at all. He expects his father to pay for things but really doesn't care about his father's feelings at all. I used to think they were close and loving but now I don't. I can't say what has changed my opinion but I simply don't think William has any feelings for his father or his father's family, with the possible exception of the Queen but even she doesn't seem to be respected by him any more. Just feelings I know but the very fact that he only spoke to them hours before the announcement speaks volumes about his attitude.

I agree. I would have been nice if he told them ahead of time and I sincerely hope he told them that he would be giving her Diana's ring. If not, it must have been a shock.

I really hope he told them they were engaged but just gave them little notice about the photocall and interview. That would make it a little better.

I'm also suspicious because William is working Christmas and Kate is spending one last Christmas with her family. It would have been nice to show the family together at Sandringam for the church walk. Hopefully Boxing Day is spent with the BRF.

I very much hope we are wrong about the thoughtlessness.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine View Post
The reports are just that he contacted her. We don't know what he contacted her for. I haven't seen any evidence to indicate that William has ill-feelings or holds any level of disrespect for his father's side of the family. So with that going forward, it makes total sense to say that the Queen knew he had proposed and he was merely informing her that he wished to make the engagement public that afternoon.

I cannot under any foreseeable circumstances see William flouting protocol in the face like that and getting engaged prior to the Queen's consent.
I really don't either.

What I do imagine happened is that when the report came out that the Queen and Prince Charles were informed only hours before the engagement announcement was just that.. hours before the ANNOUNCEMENT of the engagement to the public was to take place. I would well imagine that William would have consulted the Queen prior to even proposing to Kate in Kenya and getting her consent first. Also, I would think he would have talked to both Charles and Camilla and feel them out about how they felt about him using his mother's ring for proposing. And the ring... He stated that he was carrying it around with him for 3 weeks in Africa. Do we really believe that until then he kept it in his underwear drawer somewhere? This was well planned out I think before he even proposed.

I honestly think William is quite close with both his grandmother and Charles, Camilla and closest of all to Harry. I would be willing to bet anything that all of them knew of William's intentions before he even popped the question.

Tags
british royal family, relationships