The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I totally think you are right in what you say but what's always confused me is why the royals fight so hard to maintain their position. I mean, we are always being told what an awful life it is for them and they only do it because it's their duty. Wouldn't it be a relief then if the people decided to relieve them of their resposibilities?
There's no doubt that during the early 20th-century the British monarchy was in crisis, and they fought to maintain thousands of years of royal rule by purposeful strategies, even changing their name to Windsor.

Times changed as the 20th-century wound down. Still, QEII and the current royals maintain a profound sense of duty and tradition. QEII inherited these qualities from her parents, not from her selfish uncle, Edward VIII. In any case, with the advent of contemporary times, the monarchy has seemed antiquated, and they have gone through a number of p.r. crises. They tend to prevail not only out of a sense of duty, but likely also because the monarchy is such a huge part of British life and culture, as well as being a big factor in the country's economic health and growth.

Prince Philip gruffly indicated during the 1960s that they could simply go away if that is desired by the British people. William and Harry have obliquely and pointedly spoken of not necessarily desiring to be royal, and that none of them actually want to be King (in William's case because it would mean 'losing family members' whom he loves; in Harry's case because he wishes to lead as normal a life as possible -- Harry is unlikely to become king in any case). I don't think these feelings they expressed mean that they are eager to lightly give up centuries of duty and tradition, which is how they view it today.

In earlier times, British kings and queens were interested in maintaining their power, position, and colonial holdings. Today, its probably more a matter of not dismantling something that they are the stewards of and have become deeply accustomed to upholding, in addition to the fact that completely doing away with British royal traditions and pomp & circumstance, would adversely impact the British economy.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
TherePrince Philip gruffly indicated during the 1960s that they could simplyand have become deeply accustomed to upholding, in addition to the fact that completely doing away with British royal traditions and pomp & circumstance, would adversely impact the British economy.
Or in spite of complaining, they do want to stay royal and don't know any other life.. so most of them are not likely to give it up, unless forced to.....

Old 11-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Let's get back to topic please.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 PM
Nobility

I read that there is tension now between Harry and William, and that is part of the reason that Harry and his wife are moving away from KP. What in the world happened?
Old 11-24-2018, 08:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
I read that there is tension now between Harry and William, and that is part of the reason that Harry and his wife are moving away from KP. What in the world happened?
Nothing happened. Just sucked out of a big fat thick thumb.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
What happened? Some of the tabloid press were in need of a new scandal du jour so they manufactured something for which there is literally not a single shred of evidence: a rift between Harry and William. We've also had (manufactured) feuds between Camilla and Kate, Charles and Anne, William and Harry with their father, and so on. The common feature they all share is not a single substantive bit of evidence. This is more of the same.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to wonder if the tabloids are a bit piqued that they were not aware of the possibility of another residence option when Apt. 1 was not going to be the Sussex's primary residence? Why not plant a seed of discord as the "reason" that the Sussexes are going to reside at Frogmore estate? It's been a proven seller in the past to write about "tension" between royal family members.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:02 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Just think about regular families. The Windsors are like a family business on a larger-than-life scale. It's quite normal for there to be some slight tensions and disagreements between the brothers, and among the larger royal family. We don't know what's been going on behind-the-scenes that might involve situations where disagreements have arisen and compromises have been agreed upon.

It's quite normal for the brothers to grow up and marry, and for Harry to tag along with William and Kate as a third wheel when he was still single. Now that Harry has matured and settled down with a very accomplished wife who has her own set of close friends, it makes sense that the fab four will not be living on top of each other.

I think that Kate and Meghan admire and respect each other but they each are their own woman with their own friends and intimate confidantes. Plus, Kate has her very close-knit family to confide in as well. Therefore, I do not think Kate and Meghan will become best buds. They are surely cordial and likely get along well, but they have different personalities and backgrounds. The fab four will continue working together under the umbrella of the Royal Foundation, but increasingly their own separate projects will grow. Thus it makes sense for the brothers to think about setting up separate staffs that will coordinate and learn how to work smoothly with each other.

The brothers are still close, but their lives have changed is as to be expected. It's the public, royal reporters, and tabloid media that insist upon the scenario of these two boys we remember who bonded ever closer in the aftermath of their mother's death, living happily ever after in adjoining apartments at KP, raising their families, with the cousins growing up together. That was apparently never in the cards for William and Harry, especially if it's true (as reported) that Meghan and Harry do not enjoy living in London, but prefer the English countryside.

There's plenty of reason to believe that Meghan & Harry have always enjoyed the Windsor environs since their courtship days. KP press office has often referenced this fact. What we don't know is whether any tensions arose when M&H indicated they did not want to make KP their main residence. OTOH, this may have been known since before they married and William never had any objections.

Harry & Meghan making Windsor locale their primary residence does not mean the couples aren't going to see each other often and possibly be seen together supporting some joint project occasionally. Meanwhile, the traditional royal family gatherings and ceremonial occasions throughout the year will also bring the couples together at times, as we have seen. But they are not joined at the hip.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Nothing. Samantha and Tom Sr. and Jr. have been sort of quiet for awhile so the tabloids have to drum up some new scandal.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If William and Harry are going to split and each have their own separate office, its going to be, IMO, the most logical move to make. When they started up their office, both men were single and William was busy with the RAF and Harry was in the Army. It made sense to have a joint office that could easily handle the business of both William and Harry together.

Years later, both men have married and have/will have families. Both couples are now working for the "Firm" full time along with having their own specialized areas of interest and the work they do jointly with the Royal Foundation. The joint office staff, I would imagine, now feels quite overloaded and keeping the working of four full time working royals and all their engagements, correspondence and assuring that everything moves like clockwork is getting to be a bit much. So the joint office has gone from coordinating two young men that were "part time" to four full time working royals that will have a significant workload increase as time passes. Its logically time to split the office into two to better handle the workload.

Its not about a "feud" or disagreement of the brothers but plain, good business sense. William and Harry are close as brothers and I believe their families will grow up in an very close familial environment but its been years since William and Harry have been joined together at the hip in everything they do. I've always found it amusing that they could be a world apart and yet in videos and interviews and such, they would always send a "jab" at the other brother such as Harry running a race in Africa and as the race started, he held up a William mask in front of his face. Or Harry would make a joke about William's hair. William jabs on Harry's engagement about his refrigerator maybe being safe from raids by Harry. This is what close brothers do. They also have had years of being on their own and going down roads that they want to go down to find themselves. And... they did.

We now have the Cambridge Family and the Sussex Family and they'll be strong individually as well as a close extended Windsor family. Its nature taking its course and from where I sit, its a positive course.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-25-2018, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

In my experience the most obvious explanation is usually the right one: It's moro practical for H&M to move from Kensington and set up their own court.

And IMO it's also wise not to live too close to your close relatives, if you wish to remain close to them... Especially after you marry and build your own family and household.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think that depends on the family Muhler, and their dynamics. Some families still choose to live close to or even with extended family.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I think that depends on the family Muhler, and their dynamics. Some families still choose to live close to or even with extended family.

LaRae
True, there is never a rule without exceptions.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Y'know, when we really think about it, the British royals never have a problem getting from place to place when they want to. Its possible that William and Kate have plenty of room at Amner Hall to host guests for the Christmas holidays and Harry and Meghan will have plenty of room to spare to be hosts for occasions that occur at Windsor Castle. It'll be a case of "mi casa tu casa" within the family.

Its not like its back a century or two where communication and travel in and around the UK took much, much longer and one had to depend on the mail service to communicate.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 11-25-2018, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's only 2.5 hours from Sandringham to Windsor ...and last year the Sussexes stayed with the Cambridges. I would imagine that may happen again this year.

LaRae
Old 11-25-2018, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
It's only 2.5 hours from Sandringham to Windsor ...and last year the Sussexes stayed with the Cambridges. I would imagine that may happen again this year.

LaRae
The Cambridges are supposedly going to Bucklebury for Christmas this year, according to brother James.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
If William and Harry are going to split and each have their own separate office, its going to be, IMO, the most logical move to make. When they started up their office, both men were single and William was busy with the RAF and Harry was in the Army. It made sense to have a joint office that could easily handle the business of both William and Harry together.

Years later, both men have married and have/will have families. Both couples are now working for the "Firm" full time along with having their own specialized areas of interest and the work they do jointly with the Royal Foundation. The joint office staff, I would imagine, now feels quite overloaded and keeping the working of four full time working royals and all their engagements, correspondence and assuring that everything moves like clockwork is getting to be a bit much. So the joint office has gone from coordinating two young men that were "part time" to four full time working royals that will have a significant workload increase as time passes. Its logically time to split the office into two to better handle the workload.

Its not about a "feud" or disagreement of the brothers but plain, good business sense. ....
I agree with your assessment. There is a lot more work with 4 full-time royals, and all of them having special projects as well as normal engagements, than there was in the beginning. Their offices were always going to need to change in some way.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Its only natural that they will eventually have their own households. Not wishing it, but with a Queen who's 92, in all likelihood within a decade William will have a household of a Prince of Wales and all the duties and obligations that entails. This is the same as all the other royals did when they married - set up their own office.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:04 AM
Majesty

The story behind Harry and Meghan’s move to Frogmore Cottage? Harry and Meghan spreading their wings. No big fallout but Kate and Meghan not close. No royal properties available in London apparently.

The crazies on Twitter won’t like it but it is clear that Meghan is regarded as difficult and demanding by some in the family and on the staff.

Via Richard Palmer Twitter

https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...200413696?s=21
Old 11-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Heir Apparent

I do have to chuckle at the fact that some detractors pointed out that someone like Anne who is no nonsense would have no patience of Meghan from very early on. Yet, it seems to me now that Anne, who is very much a hard worker and takes no nonsense, seem to get along quite well with her nephew’s new wife. It’s an interesting thing to see Meghan being labeled “demanding and difficult” and someone like Anne who has been labeled negatively in her own way until quite recently for daring to be no nonsense.

As for Meghan and Kate being different and not close. No ****. Two different women who had completely different lives and different outtakes aren’t besties? I’ve always found the narrative that Meghan is going to Kate for all kinds of advice and Harry needing Kate’s approval being he moves forward with Meghan to be laughable. Meghan and Kate met when they are in their mid thirties having had very different experiences and their own close circles. They’ll obv be cordial as they are married to two brothers, but expecting them to be BFFs is just some fantasy that some cooked up.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Please note that a number of posts have been deleted as they were off-topic.

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings