The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One incident that made me laugh and realize just how close Harry is with the Cambridge children is when the Obamas made a visit and George pipes up with "how come Uncle Harry is being so quiet?". That was before Meghan came along and perhaps the biggest clue was at the holidays when Harry said something along the lines of Meghan now having the family she's never had before. Close family that interacts with each other.

Little clues like this is what gives us a wee bit of an inkling.

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 07-12-2018, 03:48 PM
Aristocracy

It should be fun to watch. I'm hoping that as time goes on and Harry and Meghan have children we'll get a few of those fun, guard down moments between cousins and aunts/uncles that are always so much fun for us as observers. Moments like we saw between George and Charlotte with Savannah and Isla or Harry playing with Mia are, I realize, off duty moments but they're also very humanizing and it's always nice to catch that human side of our favorite royals.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:23 PM
Gentry

Hi all!

So it's been ages since I've posted here, but I'm a regular lurker as I love the Royals.

I have a soft spot for Prince Charles, so I'm always Googling to see what he's up to .........and today I saw this article:

I'm not sure what to think. I don't take Tom Bower seriously at all since he clearly hates Charles, and Richard Kay seems to be another in a long line of gossip mongerers who love to play up this "Charles was a bad father, his sons hate him" angle.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/inside...liam-and-harry

I just keep reading different things about their relationship; is any of this true? I thought Harry and Meghan just spent time with Charles and Camilla recently. Regardless, I know that the boys love their father and that he loves them - I refuse to believe otherwise. Even if they don't always agree, does it mean that there's a "cold war" between them? That just seems so dramatic.......

I do read more about Charles/Harry and Meghan than about Charles and William, so I wonder if there's a bit more truth there, but.......overall, it seems like the media still wants to make this a competition with Diana, as if William and Harry loving her means they can't also love their father.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:34 PM
Aristocracy

It seems to be the reiteration of the same story - the competition between the two heirs....To push a book, as always, probably filled with nothing but half truths. This reported 'rift/competition' was amplified recently with Charles and William - I don't think I ever saw Harry included in there much, certainly not Meghan. (Probably bc they were touting this book out before they were even engaged and now they are all pretty chummy at every turn).

It is quiet common to put the future monarch and his/her direct heir up against each other. Makes for an established narrative and here with the added Diana factor the possibilities for mindless drivel and half-fiction are endless.

It's better not to give them much credence, imo. Charles and his boys seem to have a good relationship, albeit, one that cannot be compared to regular father-son relationships. Yet, you can still tell how they all respect and care for each other deeply.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:26 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloep View Post
It seems to be the reiteration of the same story - the competition between the two heirs....To push a book, as always, probably filled with nothing but half truths. This reported 'rift/competition' was amplified recently with Charles and William - I don't think I ever saw Harry included in there much, certainly not Meghan. (Probably bc they were touting this book out before they were even engaged and now they are all pretty chummy at every turn).

It is quiet common to put the future monarch and his/her direct heir up against each other. Makes for an established narrative and here with the added Diana factor the possibilities for mindless drivel and half-fiction are endless.

It's better not to give them much credence, imo. Charles and his boys seem to have a good relationship, albeit, one that cannot be compared to regular father-son relationships. Yet, you can still tell how they all respect and care for each other deeply.
All good points. Iíve seen many times the implication that Charles is impatient to be King - um, that means he would want his mother to die, which is just...no.
Oh the Diana thing - the poor woman has been dead for 20 years and they still wonít let her Rest In Peace. I feel like the media wants to try and speak for her, with this idea that sheíd want William and Harry not to have a good relationship with their father...I was not a particular fan of hers, but I just canít believe that of her.

Youíre right - I shouldnít even click on those types of articles.

Thanks !
Old 09-03-2018, 11:23 AM
Heir Apparent

I'd certainly avoid them.. as they are probably not at all true.. and are all about revisiting the War of the Waleses, just to create conflict in the present...
Old 09-03-2018, 12:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Good point Denville. These types of articles often appear around the anniversary of Diana's death and IMHO are a source of quick revenue.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Good point Denville. These types of articles often appear around the anniversary of Diana's death and IMHO are a source of quick revenue.
Considering the tragedy of Diana's death, I think it is unpleasant to have these stories pop up around now..to imply that Will and Harry don't care much for their father, at a time when they are problaby feeling sad about their mother's death. It is just a way of using the Diana situation to trump up a story.. and considering that this year Charles not only (as usual) has paid a good deal towards his sons' lifestyle but also made an effort to help wit Harry's wedding..
Old 09-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Considering the tragedy of Diana's death, I think it is unpleasant to have these stories pop up around now..to imply that Will and Harry don't care much for their father, at a time when they are problaby feeling sad about their mother's death. It is just a way of using the Diana situation to trump up a story.. and considering that this year Charles not only (as usual) has paid a good deal towards his sons' lifestyle but also made an effort to help wit Harry's wedding..
Yup. I also remember last year that some wondered by William and Harry didn't mention their father at all in their tributes to Diana. Granted, those in the media that did so were squarely on Charles' side - but the way I see it, the boys were trying to honor their mother, period - I don't think they were trying to diminish Charles' influence or their love for him. Even if I thought Charles should have been mentioned (I'm not sure if I do, though it would have been nice), children can be thoughtless; they probably assumed that their dad knows they love him. In this case, I don't think the media was trying to start anything, but ultimately almost subconsciously it seems like some sort of competition between Charles and Diana, even now.

I don't know what Charles' relationship with Kate and her family are, but he clearly loves Meghan - and he was there for her when she (and Harry) needed him, as he walked her (partway) down the aisle. My favorite part of the wedding - that I saw - was Harry's "thank you, pa". Even IF Harry was annoyed as his pa (but I'm still remembering their adorable radio show together), you can bet he melted at the way Charles has been there for his wife, who has gone through hell.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Parents undergo a lot of changes in their children's minds as they grow up and mature. I'm reminded of a quote from Mark Twain that goes: "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years."

I don't think William and Harry were much different than other children in this regard. Their relationship with their father, as well as their mother, is/was a deeply intimate one that only the child can understand with his parents. The boys had their relationship with their mother and they had their relationship with their father. When they spoke out and honored their mother 20 years after her death, she was their focus and they remembered her. Its the general public that still wants to see and focus on the differences between Charles and Diana that occurred all those years ago in the War of the Wales. William and Harry most probably do have thoughts and memories from that horrible time for them but as years passed, they moved on and grew and matured and came to love and respect each parent individually as real people and influences in their lives.

They've also learned not to carry grudges. They shed horribly.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:30 PM
Courtier

IMO, like with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle. Families are complicated and few have the extra layers the BRF does. I am sure the relationships between the Wales' Men have had its ups and downs. IMO, Harry has seemed especially close to Charles of late. William is focused on his own beautiful family.

I did giggle at this. As if Charles would care that his son is kind to his staff.

Quote:
Harry regularly brings in coffee from Starbucks to his staff at Kensington Palace, one insider previously told the Daily Beast, popping out to the street in just a baseball cap pulled low for disguise.
Old 09-03-2018, 05:37 PM
Serene Highness

I am of the opinion that the fractured relationship between Meghan and her father may make Harry appreciate and value his relationship with his father more.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:19 PM
Nobility

From the radio interview in December to Charles inviting Harry to the Reef Conservatiom event on Valentine's day this year and also the fact that Harry and Meghan postponed their honeymoon for a few days so that Harry can give a speech at a garden party in honour of Charles' birthday a few days after the wedding. I would say there hasn't been any reason to assume a tense relationship between Charles and Harry at all recently.

All that doesn't even include how Charles walked Meghan down the aisle and how Harry and Meghan are said to have spent time at the Castle of Mey with Charles this summer.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Majesty

We can’t go by tabloids. They live to stir controversy. It was just a couple of months ago we got pics of Charles and Camilla visiting KP. There’s a photo of Princess Charlotte waving goodbye to Camilla as she’s about to board the royal helicopter.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Exactly. What we see and hear comes from media reports that are out there in the public domain. Like all families, they have their private lives and private interactions between each other that we have absolutely no idea about and probably never will.

We do get rare glimpses of their interactions with each other and amusing anecdotes that come out from time to time but all that is just a very little tip of a giant iceberg that remains below the surface and hidden. We'll never get the entire picture of that iceberg.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Most of the insider’s comments are really regarding William and Charles. I believe I’ve seen everything regarding Harry before, so nothing more than a piece together from prior gossip. I can’t specifically comment on William and Charles since I don’t follow William that much, but they seem to always had an ok relationship.

As for Harry and Charles, it’s been quite obvious that they seem to enjoy a good relationship based on the times they’ve been seen together, especially this past year. I don’t like how they chose to interpret Harry’s comment regarding walking behind his mother’s coffin. Diana’s funeral wasn’t exactly a private event. It was a semi-state event. Decisions weren’t just made by Charles. There was a committee that included Charles Spencer and the PM’s office as well. Does anyone really think Charles would’ve wanted to do that walk if it weren’t for duty? If nothing else, by all accounts, the Prince of Wales feared for his own life at the public’s reaction.

And I don’t know if anyone could have had an idea of how traumatic that would be for the young princes, especially given they didn’t know how to voice it. If I remember correctly, most of the resistance came from William at that time, but it seems to have affected Harry far more. It’s not surprising given that Harry was only 12 at that point. And even if he did put that on Prince Charles primarily, kids do still love their parent despite a mistake here and there. Hindsight is always 20/20. I don’t know if anyone could’ve made a better decision then. And I certainly don’t think the public has any right to judge Prince Charles given their reaction then.

As for the boys not mentioning Charles when they were honoring Diana, I thought that was only normal given the past. They were honoring their mother after 20 years. And I do remember William saying this will likely be the last time they will talk about her this publicly as sons. And this year, it was a retreat back to private. There has been and will be time that they will honor their father. I expect more this fall given it’s the Prince of Wales’ 70th birthday.

Would anyone consider it a sly to their mother if they don’t mention her when they talk about Charles? Of course not. But when Charles isn’t mentioned, it must be because he’s a bad father. Never mind the fact that Harry just honored his father three days after his wedding. Plus he chose his father as one of the interviews when he edited the BBC radio show. There are other moments recently that would point to a warm relationship between the two, but I don’t think it’s necessary to go into all of them.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:26 AM
Gentry

Wow so many great responses.....I agree with everything.

I love the anonymous "royal source" that spilled the beans (cue eye rolling). Who's to say this person is even a royal source as opposed to some gossip mongering paparazzi? That the article referenced Tom Bower's book speaks volumes.

I thought I also read that Prince Philip had encouraged the boys to walk behind their mother's coffin, where he said something to the effect that they would regret it later on if they didn't.

It's not just the media who fees the fuel of the Charles/Diana feud - Paul Burrell seems to constantly leak things about how Diana didn't think Charles was fit to be king, etc... Why does that even matter? She probably said many things she didn't mean when she was upset - same with Charles. There's this TV show here in the States called Feud that is an anthology series. The first year focused on Bette Davis/Joan Crawford, and the second year was to focus on Charles/Diana........but for several reasons, that was dropped. When I read that, I was so relieved; did that really need to be hashed out again?

Anyway, back to the relationships between father and son......Just because family members don't spend a lot of time together - or don't always see eye to eye - doesn't mean they (a) don't love each other and (b) are feuding.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Anyway, back to the relationships between father and son......Just because family members don't spend a lot of time together - or don't always see eye to eye - doesn't mean they (a) don't love each other and (b) are feuding.
Just because they are not seen together publicly does not mean that Charles and his children do not spend time together. We have no idea of the number of times they may meet casually at CH or KP or Highgrove or Windsor or BP without the prying eyes of the media. This is precisely why I tend not to believe most of what is mentioned in the Press about the intra-family relationships. The fact is, few outside the inner BRF actually know what the dynamic actually is.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
. . . . . Anyway, back to the relationships between father and son......Just because family members don't spend a lot of time together - or don't always see eye to eye - doesn't mean they (a) don't love each other and (b) are feuding.
Hmm, last year Harry and Meghan spent time at Birkhall with Charles and Camilla and the Castle of Mey this summer. You don't go out of your way to spend time in isolated places in the company of people you dislike!

I am pretty sure there were times when both father and son loved each other but didn't like each other very much, probably more about Osipi's seven years of growth than anything else.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:34 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Just because they are not seen together publicly does not mean that Charles and his children do not spend time together. We have no idea of the number of times they may meet casually at CH or KP or Highgrove or Windsor or BP without the prying eyes of the media. This is precisely why I tend not to believe most of what is mentioned in the Press about the intra-family relationships. The fact is, few outside the inner BRF actually know what the dynamic actually is.
I know that - Iím just saying that IF they donít see each other all that much. Also, most of the media didnít even know that Harry and Meghan spent some time with Charles and Camilla in Scotland, so there are surely other times they donít know about. I agree with you ...l

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings