The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Majesty

How it could be possible that he was "not allowed"? He is a member of the family too, big enough to understand what the wedding is and what matters in this ceremony; he is already ten, not two.
In my country young parents are usually invited to the wedding together with their children (such as: "Mrs. and Mr. (names & surname) are cordially invited together with their children to our wedding..."); children attend the Mass and Reception when they dance (even in the circle) and enjoy with adults.
They may even have organized some entertainment especially for them (led by an animator; I think the royal family is able to do it) or even a separate table when they sit together.
Of course the do not rather stay till 4. a.m. but return home earlier to sleep; sometimes even parents go put the child to bed and return to the party.

I even imagine James dancing with the bride and later asking for dance, for example, Lady Lara Spencer.

I was present at a couple of wedding parties and children participated in all of them.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm glad he was allowed to come. At royal weddings children are normally not invited (and the page boys and flower girls did not attend the ceremony; they were only decoration for Meghan's walk into the church and the couple's walk out - although George and Charlotte didn't join the others but their parents instead) but James already was the only cousin not invited to William's wedding, so gld to see that he was included now and hopefully will attend Eugenie's wedding as well.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:09 PM
Courtier

I think Eugenie and Jack are going to have a more relaxed weekend. :) So expect all the kids.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:59 AM
Royal Highness

Interesting articles about Meghan's influence on Harry and William bonding more with Prince Charles, and how much Prince Charles appreciates Meghan and connects with some of her interests. As always, the information may or may not be entirely accurate:

https://www.elle.com/culture/a209510...rince-charles/

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebr...-relationship/
Old 06-03-2018, 01:29 AM
Majesty

I've never thought that Harry had too bad a relationship with Charles anyway. The two of them have usually seemed to be quite comfortable together. However, if Meghan herself becomes close to Charles that will be lovely and add an extra element.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Sorry but is anyone takings seriously the Meghan helping Harry with his dad story

Their source is the Daily Fail. We know the Daily fail makes it money creating drama wherever they can. If it isn't Charles feuding with his sons, it is Charles feuding with Andrew. Or Kate having issues with Camilla.

I do hope Meghan is getting close to her father in law. Considering she asked him to walk her down the aisle, I think she has got on well with him.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:45 AM
Royal Highness

Yep, as I said, unconfirmed, and to be taken with a grain of salt. There's always lots of odd made-up fodder out there, particularly when there's really nothing new to report. I didn't believe the Canada honeymoon gossip at all.

It always pays to remember regardless of any media report, we'll never really know the intimate behind-the-scenes details regarding the royal family members' actual thoughts and interactions with each other. On occasion though, information is approved to be strategically released (sometimes to throw the tabloids and general public off the true scent a bit).

While I've always had the impression that William and Harry get along quite well with Prince Charles, once again we aren't privy to the intimate details of their actual relationship. Neither is the Daily Fail.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHFitz View Post
I did notice at the Wedding while Harry and William were sitting down waiting for Meghan and the ceremony to start James, Viscount Severn had leaned over and said something to Harry, who answered back and smiled.

Obviously reading a lot into it but it is nice to see and shows that there clearly is some closeness that James feels familiar and comfortable enough with Harry to be able to do that at the wedding.

I like James am the youngest of my cousins and have a similar age gap and I have some cousins who have made the effort to try and connect with me as well as the cousins closer in age and others who don't.
Clips like these are always my favorite clips of the RF. It's always so nice to see them visiting, laughing, and interacting like any other family when they're not so "on" with people and cameras in their faces. I particularly love clips like the one of Autumn adjusting her hair/hat and asking Peter if it was ok. And it's always nice to see Jack sharing a laugh with Anne/Tim and Peter/Autumn and the rest of the family. Even as they're leaving the church there's a very quick glimpse of Camilla leaning down to speak to George. Nothing elaborate but definitely a nice, quick snapshot inside the family.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:19 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHFitz View Post
I did notice at the Wedding while Harry and William were sitting down waiting for Meghan and the ceremony to start James, Viscount Severn had leaned over and said something to Harry, who answered back and smiled.

Obviously reading a lot into it but it is nice to see and shows that there clearly is some closeness that James feels familiar and comfortable enough with Harry to be able to do that at the wedding.

I like James am the youngest of my cousins and have a similar age gap and I have some cousins who have made the effort to try and connect with me as well as the cousins closer in age and others who don't.
I agree that its nice that Harry and James have a relationship but just to elaborate on the scene where he interacted with him; If you look at where Zara is you can see she is leaning in and joking with Harry and William says hi to Sophie while James and Edward are turning their heads to listen to whats happening. Then after Zara is done, he says hi to Edward and James.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Meghan healing anything is pretty much bull crap written by people who still believe Charles was a bad dad. Regarding James it would be so cute if he got sent his own personal invitation so he would be allowed to go. And if he is 10 now then he was 3 when Will and Kate got married, definitely too young to attend.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I've never thought that Harry had too bad a relationship with Charles anyway. The two of them have usually seemed to be quite comfortable together. However, if Meghan herself becomes close to Charles that will be lovely and add an extra element.
I think they have a typical father/son relationship. Interestingly I remember a speech Harry made a couple of years ago (can't quite remember when) and he talked about sustainability and he sounded just like his father on that topic. I guess growing up at Highgrove was a learning experience as well as just home. The family is important and nobody can take their place and if the Sussexes both get along with Charles and Camilla, that is a very good thing.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I don't think it would take a crystal ball to guess that Margaret would not take to Meghan....
Well my guess is that Meghan (now HRH the Duchess of Sussex) can actually charm anyone, including Princess Margaret if she was still alive. I also think that some of the portrayals and characterizations of Princess Margaret's peccadillos and personality do not take into account her positive attributes and her vulnerabilities.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I think Eugenie and Jack are going to have a more relaxed weekend. :) So expect all the kids.

I think they can havew as many relaxed weekends as they want.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Meghan healing anything is pretty much bull crap written by people who still believe Charles was a bad dad. Regarding James it would be so cute if he got sent his own personal invitation so he would be allowed to go. And if he is 10 now then he was 3 when Will and Kate got married, definitely too young to attend.
I believe Charles was a “ bad parent”, as were BTW Queen Elizabeth II, King George V, Queen Victoria, Queen Margarethe Ii of Denmark, King Albert Ii of the Belgians, and countless other royal parents. The type of “ loving parenting” that we see today e.g. with Victoria and Daniel, Frederik and Mary, or even with Maxima , is a relatively new phenomenon really in royal circles.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In times past, as far as the adults were concerned, children were to be seen and not heard. Nannies and governesses and boarding schools were the norm and interactions between parents and their children weren't as "hands on" as we see a lot of royal parents have in today's world.

I am of the belief that Charles has always been very close to both of his sons and has participated in their upbringing as much as he possibly could have. This is an area where even though the relationship between parents was acrimonious, it was an area they both agreed on. The public, being involved as much as possible in the back and forth in the parents' tribulations, saw one parent with her sons as much as possible and it was played out in the press. The other parent kept his private life with his sons private. He kept his relationship with his sons between them and not blazoned in full color to the world. Perhaps even the best result of doing this is what gave his sons respite from the public world around them. They learned the importance of keeping their private lives away from the glaring press while also living with an excellent example of the duties and rigors or responsibility that surrounds being a senior working members of the British royal family.

In many regards, I see Charles as the most positive influence on his sons and through all those years of caring and nurturing, raised two strong boys into men that will end up being more than prepared to step into their father's shoes when the time comes and do the same for their children.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-06-2018, 12:15 AM
Majesty

Diana though had no country house for the boys to be hidden away in, while Charles had the advantage of having access not just to Highgrove but to Sandringham and Balmoral too.

Diana compensated by taking the boys on tropical holidays and trip to Disneyland etc, which they seemed to have enjoyed very much. She loved and nurtured her sons until their teens when she died, much too soon. William was fifteen when his mother died. At that age your character and personality are pretty well set. Harry was younger, but as he has said, he misses her still.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I didn't mean to insinuate that Charles was a better parent than Diana was but rather totally different in his approach to parenting. This is the reason why I believe that William and Harry did get the best of both worlds. All too often when there's an acrimonious divorce between parents, the kids are kind of shuffled off to the side. This never happened with these boys.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 06-06-2018, 05:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

Will and Harry obviously love and respect their father very much. Harry basically said it PUBLICLY some weeks ago ...
Old 06-06-2018, 07:29 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I believe Charles was a “ bad parent”, as were BTW Queen Elizabeth II, King George V, Queen Victoria, Queen Margarethe Ii of Denmark, King Albert Ii of the Belgians, and countless other royal parents. The type of “ loving parenting” that we see today e.g. with Victoria and Daniel, Frederik and Mary, or even with Maxima , is a relatively new phenomenon really in royal circles.

I think it’s the wrong choice of word to say “bad” parenting. All those people you mentioned “parented” how they thought was correct. Diana was softer on her children but that’s also not necessarily a “good” thing. Children need the right amount of balance in parenting. The current crop of younger monarchs and crown princes are raising their children differently to how they were raised, partly due to the experiences they had and partly down to the change in society in general.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I feel the only BAD parent is a parent that doesn't love their children. You have no way of knowing if Charles loved his boys are not. Really unfair of you to say such a comment. If there were reports of physical abuse or mental abuse, then maybe you could say Charles may have been bad. But I have never heard of Charles abusing his boys in anyway. All the information we have shows him loving his boys in the eye of the public. You have no idea what went on behind closed doors.

Because he didn't live his life with his boys the way you felt he should, doesn't make him bad.

Sorry but this comment really upset me. Parents are giving such a hard time nowadays. People feel parents should parent on public opinion and not what the parent feels is best for their family. Mom's get beaten down if they work, then another group beats them down cause they stay at home. No one takes into consideration what is best for the family which can only be decided by the parents of the child.

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings