The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think he could avoid "too intense questioning" and avoid giving too much information, without saying something like "Oh I haven't seen her for a bit" when he's seen her 2 or 3 days ago. and he does IIRC mention George at least, I seem to remember him telling some anecdote about George...

Old 10-14-2017, 05:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The relationship between Harry and Catherine have always been close since William and Catherine started dating. They have formed a good little brother and big sister type of a relationship. It’s all due to the many years they’ve known each other.

Harry was very excited to officially welcome Catherine into the family.
that does not seem to gibe with his sayng that he was looking forward to getting to know her, when W and Kate got engaged. and they are only about 2 years apart, Harldy "big sister and little brother".

Old 10-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptgirl View Post
I may be in the minority, but I don't feel Kate and Harry are all that close.
On what are you basing your feelings? It amazes me that a lot of people who have never spoken with any of them think that they are not a close family. Harry and Kate always look happy when together, as do William and Harry.

They are worldly, educated people who have no reason to dislike one another, or to not get along. It is hugely in their own interest to have warm relationships with one another.

They are not celebrities who can walk out on their spouses or family members. They are in this relationship for a lifetime.

That’s how most families roll; mine certainly does, because it’s in their best interest.

Other families may not be able to behave in this fashion.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The way they behave toward each other indicates they have a good relationship...quite chummy.

LaRae
Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
that does not seem to gibe with his sayng that he was looking forward to getting to know her, when W and Kate got engaged. and they are only about 2 years apart, Harldy "big sister and little brother".
See my previous possible explanation of deflecting the question. Yes, it was an odd response but most likely he considered it something private and therefore not relevant thus his deflecting the question.

I do think Catherine might have some kind of sister role, especially since he never had one. Harry also seemed a little slower to grow up (due to his issues with not processing his grief well) so there might have been some dynamic with a bigger brother/sister role for William and Catherine in the past. Nowadays I don't think that is the case any longer: they are more or less equals in terms of sibling relationship.

Had they not had a good relationship among the three of them, they never would have had their foundation as it currently is...
Old 10-14-2017, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

well it seems as if you're saying that they are friendly because it is in their interests to be friendly..? Of course they are going to look friendly and hapy in public. They are hardly going to look bored or sullen.. even if they aren't that close.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:25 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
We also have to remember that what we know and what we base our opinions on these people comes to us, for the most part, from the media. We do not and will not ever see these people in their private, interpersonal relations to each other. That line in the sand has been drawn a long time ago.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I generally go by what they say in interviews and their body language in stills and video. You can get somewhat of an idea about things with that.

LaRae
Old 10-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Aristocracy

I agree. Harry grew up in public, he knows how to hide his feelings and Kate certainly wouldn't let on that they are not close.

And yes, most people do have to get on with their in-laws, but that does not make them close, just cordial. From my experience, I know very few people who are buddy buddy with their in-laws.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
And I think video or photographs taken over many years time says more about a relationship than a polite answer to a reporter's question.
We have photographs in private? No.

I am talking private vs public.

We know they do many engagements together. We know they seem to get along in public. Which is very important for them to be able to.

What we don't know is private. We have no idea if Harry spent any real private time with Kate before the couple married. He was the one who made the comment. Nor do we know how much private time they spend now. How people relate in private, how close they are, is two different things.

How would Harry know how Kate is doing with morning sickness if he hasn't spoken to them in a few weeks? And by that I mean in Private. Even if by phone. Does anyone seriousl think he is going to ask her at a public engagement? Seriously????

Spending time with your sibling and his spouse at a public engagement or group event, is not the same as spending time with them. Not at the personal level.

I am not saying Harry and Kate aren't close. But it does seem that closeness grew after the wedding. And they don't see each other on a regular basis. Which considering how much travel Harry has done over the last months, and until recently Kate and William were more often then not in Norfolk when not on an engagement, isn't that hard to believe.

If and when he marries, the time will slowly become less. When you grow up, you have your own family and lives, your time you devote to siblings and such becomes less. Doesn't mean you don't care, or you aren't friendly with your sister in law. Just reality of adult lives.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
We have photographs in private? No.

I am talking private vs public.

We know they do many engagements together. We know they seem to get along in public. Which is very important for them to be able to.

What we don't know is private. We have no idea if Harry spent any real private time with Kate before the couple married. He was the one who made the comment. Nor do we know how much private time they spend now. How people relate in private, how close they are, is two different things.

How would Harry know how Kate is doing with morning sickness if he hasn't spoken to them in a few weeks? And by that I mean in Private. Even if by phone. Does anyone seriousl think he is going to ask her at a public engagement? Seriously????

Spending time with your sibling and his spouse at a public engagement or group event, is not the same as spending time with them. Not at the personal level.

I am not saying Harry and Kate aren't close. But it does seem that closeness grew after the wedding. And they don't see each other on a regular basis. Which considering how much travel Harry has done over the last months, and until recently Kate and William were more often then not in Norfolk when not on an engagement, isn't that hard to believe.

If and when he marries, the time will slowly become less. When you grow up, you have your own family and lives, your time you devote to siblings and such becomes less. Doesn't mean you don't care, or you aren't friendly with your sister in law. Just reality of adult lives.
This 'public engagement' was at their home! I am quite sure they spent some time together at the anniversary of their mother's death outside of the public eye. So yes, I do expect Harry to have the courtesy to ask how she is doing before they walk out of the door with the three of them... Moreover, Harry stated he had not seen her in a while which was obviously not true!

And while there is a difference between public and private, they themselves choose to do engagements together, if they didn't have a good/close relationship in private they wouldn't opt for that as it clearly isn't an expectation within the royal family. Charles for example did not set up a fund with his siblings nor does he regularly carry out engagements with them.

If Harry continues to live at KP, I don't see how they would see less of each other compared to when they lived much further apart. Nonetheless, I wouldn't equate distance and closeness as it is possible to be close and live far away from each other (and the other way around) but less distance makes things easier. So far the evidence seems to point to the three of them having a good relationship without Harry being inseparable from his older brother and his family. They clearly have their own lives as well. Seems like a healthy situation that many parents would wish for their children when they grow up...
Old 10-15-2017, 02:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Well, there was a time when Harry's interactions with Kate at public functions were so warm and friendly and supportive that it got people buzzing. Kate really 'lit up' when Harry was around. It was very noticeable, and then, there was a noticeable cessation of joint events, and when they did start to have joint events again, no obvious interactions were in evidence anymore. I'd say, given the history, Harry and Kate not only know each other well (as sister-in-law and brother-in-law), but likely enjoy each other's company.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Posts containing comparisons between The Duchess of Cambridge and Meghan Markle have been deleted. Further posts on that unnecessary topic will be deleted - ignoring Mod notes is not acceptable.

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationships