The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I think the UK will become a republic before we ever see a monarch abdicating.

As has been pointed out, William has learned from the best and has spent his entire life watching his grandmother executing the role of monarch day in and day out without fail and to the best of her ability. He's also seen his father diligently putting his heart and soul into his work as the Prince of Wales. George most likely will be the product of a more modern monarchy but I think it will be ingrained from an early age that British monarchs do not abdicate.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Things change. I think that William and certainly George wont want to go on slogging away at their job when they are 93 or so. Even Philip has now decided to give up royal duties. The queen is nearly 100 and is from a very different era.
perhaps it will become a republic indeed, I dotn know and honestly don't greatly care. But I think if it doesn't, the new idea of kings and queens abdicating or retiring when they get to an advanced age, will become a tradtion.

Old 07-21-2017, 02:22 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think the UK will become a republic before we ever see a monarch abdicating.

[...]
Edward VIII abdicated and the United Kingdom is still a monarchy. The same can be said about monarchs in Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands and the Vatican: none of the abdications there did result in a republic at all. On the contrary: one can claim that these abdications actually were good for the monarchies, as these revived the institution indeed.

Note that abdications are nothing new and are rooted in history. In her autobiography Queen Wilhelmina (who abdicated after a Reign of 58 years) wrote that she was inspired by Charles V (Holy Roman Emperor, Archduke of Austria, King of Spain, King of Italy, Duke of Burgundy, Lord of the Netherlands). He summoned the Lords States-General of the United Provinces (the Netherlands) in Ghent, in 1555. In that assembly he abdicated in favour of his son Felipe II. On the picture you Felipe with the Order of the Golden Fleece. The man at the other side is William I of Nassau, Prince of Orange. Emperor Charles V did retreat from public life: he went to a villa close to the Monastery of San Jerónimo de Yuste and died "as a humble man". He himself was inspired by the Roman Emperor Diocletianus, whom also abdicated and did retreat from public into an enclosed villa on the countryside.

Picture

There seems a sort of idea that an abdication is like the plague: it will kill the monarchy. Where that idea comes from is a total mystery. In no any case an abdication has led to a downfall. On the contrary, one would say...
Old 07-21-2017, 03:50 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Queen and Prince Michael share a grandfather, that is distantly related. It is logical that the Michaels are hardly seen. In no any other monarchy so distant family still has royal engagements, so that we can regularly spot the glamorous Michaels is only a bonus. That the Michaels have few royal engagements says nothing about the relationship between Elizabeth-Philip and Michael-Marie Christine, which seems cordial and warm to me.

I can't believe royal watchers have forgotten that HRH PMK acted as "official" and unofficial representative of HM The Queen at various engagements surrounding the first historic state visit to Scotland, England and Wales by a reigning pontiff, HH the Pope Benedict and the first historic state visit to the UK (having already officially visited NI) by HE the President of Ireland (not the Irish Republic).
Old 07-21-2017, 04:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
I can't believe royal watchers have forgotten that HRH PMK acted as "official" and unofficial representative of HM The Queen at various engagements surrounding the first historic state visit to Scotland, England and Wales by a reigning pontiff, HH the Pope Benedict and the first historic state visit to the UK (having already officially visited NI) by HE the President of Ireland (not the Irish Republic).
On the own site of Prince Michael is explained that he does not form part of "the official royal family":

The Court Circular records the official engagements carried out by The Queen and Members of the Royal family. Engagements undertaken by Prince and Princess Michael of Kent are not included in the Court Circular because they do not usually carry out official duties on behalf of The Queen. Prince Michael is not eligible for the parliamentary annuities received by other members of the Royal Family, because he is a second son. Under prima genitor rules it is Prince Michael’s older brother, The Duke of Kent, who carries out official duties which are included in the Court Circular. Prince Michael’s sister, Princess Alexandra, was asked by the Queen to undertake such duties because of a lack of female members of the family during the 1960s. However, although not categorised as ‘official’, Prince and Princess Michael carry out a great many charitable and public engagements each year both in the United Kingdom and abroad.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:44 AM
Commoner

I beg your pardon Duc, I was regretting to the scholarly Princess, Mare Christine. HM The Queen was obviously aware of the talents and background when she was given these respresentative duties for these two first historic state visits from The Holy See and Dublin. A German speaking Catholic of excellent of mid-European pedrigree would go down rather well in Bavaria and neutral Ireland.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:46 AM
Commoner

Sorry for the predicted text., I meant referring
Old 07-22-2017, 02:43 AM
Majesty

Ow I thought the PMK in your post was Prince Michael of Kent. My fault.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Prince Charles on grandson George's first day at school - ITV News

Prince Charles comments on George's first day of school.
Like Charles knows anything about what his grandson's life.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Mae View Post
What credible sources do you have that makes this statement a fact rather than a dig at Charles? You have no more idea of how this family interacts privately than anyone else does. So... provide sources please?
Old 09-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Why wouldn't he know things about his own grandson's life?

He does see him you know. Just because the trash magazines like to say otherwise doesn't make it true.

Sure I am no fan of either William or Harry and do believe that they aren't that close to their father but I also don't think William or Kate are that vindictive as to deny their children a chance to know their paternal grandfather.

There have been stories of George visiting Highgrove and planting things with Charles there etc etc.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

He does see him you know. Just because the trash magazines like to say otherwise doesn't make it true.

Sure I am no fan of either William or Harry and do believe that they aren't that close to their father but I also don't think William or Kate are that vindictive as to deny their children a chance to know their paternal grandfather.

There have been stories of George visiting Highgrove and planting things with Charles there etc etc.
Exactly, like this.

Prince Charles turns Highgrove gardens into playground for grandson George | Daily Mail Online

Even the Daily fail will admit time to time.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

I agree. But the posters can counter by saying, Charles doesn't attend George's birthday parties, Charles admitted he hasn't changed any diapers, etc.

But I think George and Charles have a fairly normal relationship. I don't think they have a special bond like QEQM and Charles had, at least not yet. But I would say they're likely just as close as Philip is with his grandchildren.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:39 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
What credible sources do you have that makes this statement a fact rather than a dig at Charles? You have no more idea of how this family interacts privately than anyone else does. So... provide sources please?
I have no sources but it is known that Charles has never attended any of George's birthday parties and that speaks loudly to me about the relationship he has with his grandson. That doesn't mean he doesn't care about George, I think he is just indifferent. Nothing wrong with that. Some people just don't like small children.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have no sources but it is known that Charles has never attended any of George's birthday parties and that speaks loudly to me about the relationship he has with his grandson. That doesn't mean he doesn't care about George, I think he is just indifferent. Nothing wrong with that. Some people just don't like small children.
Beyond judgemental and based on absolutely no knowledge. We have no idea about their personal relationship. Just because he doesn't attend birthday parties says nothing about the bond he has with them. I have had one birthday in eighteen years of childhood where a grandparent attended, one. Didn't make them indifferent.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:58 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
My father didn't attend our last birthday parties and that does not mean he does not love us. It can be granted for sure he won't attend his grandchildren birthday parties, and he is absolutely fond of them. The common point with my father and the PoW ? They are both (a little bit) old school
Old 09-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
There have been many sources that prove that he does have a relationship with his grandchildren. Pictures of him holding his step granddaughter. So, its unfair to say that Charles doesn't know what goes on in Charles' life which was your original statement. It also has been reported in places that Camilla does prefer to visit with her small grandchildren at Ray Mill where they can make a glorified mess if they want to. Charles, I guess, is a stickler for everything in its proper place and isn't one to overlook sticky fingers and hand prints on the walls and the general mess children make.

One thing about being here on TRF is that if statements are made that are from out in left field in a galaxy far, far away, you're going to be asked for sources to back your opinion up. Its all part of the TRF rules here on posting. We try to keep things on a factual basis here. Its why TRF has survived and flourished for a very long time.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Heir Apparent

The facts are Charles was in other places for George's 1st and 2nd Birthday. Other birthdays for George and Charlotte it was not reported where Charles was. It also been reported that George and George planted a tree at Highgrove. Mike Tindall talked about baby George and baby Mia meeting at Highgrove. So the Cambridges have visited Highgrove from time to time.

However, it doesn't really tell us if Charles is or isn't super close to his grandchildren. They don't really tells us their personal business. Charles could have called William when he was done to get the first day of school scoop or he didn't talk with William at all. We don't know.

I did chuckle at Charles call a 4 year old a old chap.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
well indifferent would mean that he doesn't care.
I think he loves the kids but can problably take or leave noisy toddlers at a birthday party. He would most likely prefer to see them at times, in their own home or his, on a quiet Grandpa to children basis.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 AM
Majesty

I don't think Charles is by any means indifferent. I found another article written a while back ago about the "playground" Charles has created at Highgrove for the kids. A lot of thought goes into something like this and it also shows thoughts of creating something for his own children. Its been mentioned a few times that Charles and Camilla do have family over for Sunday dinners at Clarence House when they can.

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/201...hgrove-charles

As this is a thread for the education of the Cambridge children, I can think of no one better for them to go outside and putter around in nature with than Grandpa as I seriously believe that Charles would be more than happy, in fact, enthused about the idea of sharing what he knows, what he feels about nature and how things grow with his grandkids.

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationships