The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2017, 10:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Considering the age gaps and the fact that both William and Harry moved away from KP after Diana's death and were actively involved elsewhere, the Kents and the boys were probably only on the peripheral of each other's lives.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Harry has a cordial relationship with his family. He's fond of his granny and she has helped him with one or two projects like Invictus. Anne went up and squeezed his cheek when they met at the London Olympics and Harry grinned. You can sometimes see Harry smiling and joking with his uncles and grandfather on various engagements.

It's important to remember though, how compartmentalised Royal lives are. They all have engagements and it's not as if everyone runs around to each other's houses every couple of days. Harry and William probably see each other the most regularly of the bunch but we don't know how often that is.

Bedell Smith, the latest Charles biographer, stated that as his sons grew up they had their own lives and saw Charles and Camilla infrequently. Charles is a very busy man. However, when he and Harry meet I'm sure everything is friendly.

Old 04-23-2017, 05:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post
Mrs. Michael should have reached out more to William and Harry after Diana's death. I think that the Kents should have been more friendly to the Waleses.
The Michaels of Kent aren't William and Henry's cousins. Prince Michael of Kent is The Queen's paternal cousin, which makes him Charles' second cousin, and William's third cousin. Hardly the starting block for a close relationship IMO. The boys had their actual cousins, uncles and aunts for support as well as friends and other supporters we're not aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Considering the age gaps and the fact that both William and Harry moved away from KP after Diana's death and were actively involved elsewhere, the Kents and the boys were probably only on the peripheral of each other's lives.
I agree to all of the above, it's hard to hold a grudge against a family you never see along with a family that has also just lost their matriarchal figure.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Maybe Prince and Princess Michael could be jealous of the attention he gets. Since The former Princess of Wales, Duchess of Rothesay had a frosty relationship with Princess Michael, I wonder if Mrs. Kent has a grudge against Diana's sons.

Come on, this is just nonsense. They are so distantly related, it is almost no family anymore.
Lord Frederick Windsor can be seen as Harry's contemporary. Look how far they are related:

Prince Henry of Wales
= The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales
x Lady Diana Spencer

The Prince Charles, The Prince of Wales
= Queen Elizabeth II
x Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark

Queen Elizabeth II
= King George VI
x Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon

King George VI
= King George V
x Princess Mary of Teck

--------------------------------------------------------

King George V
x Princess Mary of Teck
= The Prince George, The Duke of Kent

The Prince George, The Duke of Kent
x Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark
= Prince Michael of Kent

Prince Michael of Kent
x Marie-Christine Freiin von Reibnitz
= Lord Frederick Windsor

----------------------------------------------------------

With other words: the Austrian-Hungarian Baroness who happens to be the spouse to a grandson of Prince Harry's great-, great- grandfather should have developed a supportive role for this young adolescent?
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Previous well it's the DM so not paying much attention to it. But I think what their doing is wonderful they are really making a difference if their Father doesn't agree with it too bad. But who really knows what their relationship is like. I have my own idea but will keep it to myself
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Sigh, there is a world of difference between a parent, friend, other relative being "there for you" and being able to sort out mental health issues.

If good parents were the answer for mental health, many of us would be much less troubled. The article is rubbish.

My mother loved and supported me to the moon and back. That alone did not help much when depression struck.

And this is one of the points heads together it trying to make.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:41 AM
Majesty

Even in the closest of family with excellent parents, once the kids hit a certain age, no matter what the question asked like "How was school" or "What's wrong?" or "what happened at the debate club?" the proverbial answer will be "Nothing".

Heads Together is trying to get people to realize that they need to be more open about things. What is bugging them. What hurts and to talk about what they're feeling.

I've even noticed now that here in the US, there is a commercial for toilet paper and how it comes in handy (because its soft) when there are upsets and the parent is consoling the child.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Majesty

Cast me with stones but I have an open nerve for nanny society. We can protect all and everyone, try to pack them in a bumpy bubble to avoid bruises. But everyone has to find their own way.

Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and his four sisters grew up without their father, who died in a plane accident.

King Juan Carlos of Spain shot his own brother Don Alfonso in an accident.

Prince Henri d'Orléans lost his eldest brother Prince François, who died in battle in Algeria.

King Baudouin, King Albert II and Grand-Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte grew up without their mother Queen Astrid, who died in a car accident.

Caroline, Albert and Stéphanie de Monaco lost their mother Princess Gracia in a car accident.

Don Luis Alfonso de Borbón, the so-called pretender of the throne of France, lost his father in a ski accident.

Princess Caroline lost her husband Stefano Casiraghi in a speedboat crash.

Prince Georg Friedrich of Prussia lost his father in an accident during a military manoeuvre.

Queen Mathilde of Belgium lost her grandmother Princess Sofia and her sister Alix in a car accident.

King Willem-Alexander lost his brother, after almost a year in coma, following being buried under an avalanche in Austria.

I feel for Prince William and Prince Harry, for what happened two decades ago but okay... where is the typical British stiff upperlip, the resilience, the distance, where is the privacy? Is there still privacy left anyway when the royals expose themselves to the bone? The British maybe think that what happens to these two royals is unique, but the list above shows that remarkably a lot of today's royals have experienced shocking events but coped with it.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Royal Highness

We can argue that they didn't mention the Queen either, but William said previously that she was, as the Duke, a great support.
I know there's is a lot of wishful thinking about Charles being a bad father , but it's simply not true.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:09 AM
Royal Highness

I think its a difficult thing to speak out about your own loss because, when you are royal, there will always be someone who has suffered the same or worse. As Royals it is expected that they will have had the best support possible and plenty of trappings of luxury to help. But then equally, royals have a big platform to stand on and people listen when they speak so its a Catch 22.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I feel for Prince William and Prince Harry, for what happened two decades ago but okay... where is the typical British stiff upperlip, the resilience, the distance, where is the privacy? Is there still privacy left anyway when the royals expose themselves to the bone? The British maybe think that what happens to these two royals is unique, but the list above shows that remarkably a lot of today's royals have experienced shocking events but coped with it.
I think the whole message was to show that terrible things can happen to anyone regardless of their walk in life and their circumstances. Many, many people (as you have pointed out) have had to cope with the same situation as William and Harry did with the loss of a loved one.

Some people work through the stages of grief naturally with no problems and come to acceptance easier than others. Harry did not. A lot of people bury and squelch their emotions and do not go through the stages of grief rather than dealing with them and they manifest themselves in other ways as time passes.

Harry's message, along with Heads Together, is aiming to get people to realize their problems and talk about them. Harry wasn't saying he (or William) suffered an unique experience but rather one that affected himself personally and how it affected him from not dealing with it and talking about it with someone.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Mrs. Michael should have reached out more to William and Harry after Diana's death. I think that the Kents should have been more friendly to the Waleses.
Who Is Mrs Michael? If you mean Princess Michael I don't know why she shodl be PARTICULARLY friendly or supportive to WIl and Harry.
I gather that all the RF tried to help them when their mother died.. esp when up in Balmoral Anne's 2 children tried to keep them company in the week or 2 after Diana died
I think that as neighbours at KP Diana and Prss Michael had their ups and downs, but she was fond of Diana and sympathised iwht her when the divorce happened...so I imagine that she at least offered sympathy to the boys..
Old 04-23-2017, 12:26 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Who Is Mrs Michael? If you mean Princess Michael I don't know why she shodl be PARTICULARLY friendly or supportive to WIl and Harry.
I gather that all the RF tried to help them when their mother died.. esp when up in Balmoral Anne's 2 children tried to keep them company in the week or 2 after Diana died
I think that as neighbours at KP Diana and Prss Michael had their ups and downs, but she was fond of Diana and sympathised iwht her when the divorce happened...so I imagine that she at least offered sympathy to the boys..
True. Prince Michael would have been a good influence on Harry, his tough military upbringing and his Russian history would have taught Harry well.

I wonder how Harry gets along with his grandfather, Prince Philip. A lot of people see Harry in Philip (tough, charismatic, handsome).
Old 04-23-2017, 12:38 PM
Majesty

People simply react to personal tragedies in a different way. It is IMO next to impossible to compare personal loss, because that's what they are, personal.

Some deal with it themselves.
Some need help.
Others should perhaps have asked for help.

I'll add that Diana's death was a bit unique. In her case there were someone to blame (whether right or wrong is beside the point), someone to be angry at, someone who "took her away" from in this case William and Harry.

The rest listed were due to accidents, and traumatic as they are, it really wasn't anyone else' "fault" so to speak.
And losing a relative in war. In a way you are mentally prepared for that to happen.

The only one who is comparable IMO is King Juan Carlos, who shot his brother. Coming to terms with that (if he indeed has come to terms with it) must have been very difficult. But his generation did not seek help. - And there were countless others of his generation who had suffered severe personal traumas.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:52 PM
Majesty

I have the idea that the relationship between Prince Harry and his grandfather is excellent. As no one else in the family Harry resembles Philip the most, to my humble opinion.

The immediate fall-out of Diana's tragic accident happened at Balmoral Castle in the remote countryside of Scotland. The core circle engulfing the two sons were -of course- their father Prince Charles, their grandparents at Balmoral and maybe the Spencers (who possibly also were vacationing elsewhere when it all happened).

To drag Marie-Christine into this seems awkward to me. Her husband is a quite distant relative. Their son Frederick is older than Harry. Why she is particularly pointed out for a possible lack of empathy is a mystery to me. From the outside look I have never noticed any animosity between Marie-Christine and Diana. And why would there be anyway? Diana was the Princess of Wales, the future Queen. She ranked above almost all and everyone in the family. Diana was Champions' League. Anne was Premier League. Marie-Christine was Championships' League. Total different situations.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I have the idea that the relationship between Prince Harry and his grandfather is excellent. As no one else in the family Harry resembles Philip the most, to my humble opinion.

The immediate fall-out of Diana's tragic accident happened at Balmoral Castle in the remote countryside of Scotland. The core circle engulfing the two sons were -of course- their father Prince Charles, their grandparents at Balmoral and maybe the Spencers (who possibly also were vacationing elsewhere when it all happened).

To drag Marie-Christine into this seems awkward to me. Her husband is a quite distant relative. Their son Frederick is older than Harry. Why she is particularly pointed out for a possible lack of empathy is a mystery to me. From the outside look I have never noticed any animosity between Marie-Christine and Diana. And why would there be anyway? Diana was the Princess of Wales, the future Queen. She ranked above almost all and everyone in the family. Diana was Champions' League. Anne was Premier League. Marie-Christine was Championships' League. Total different situations.
Diana had called Marie-Christine "Fuhrer" because at Kensington, she'd spy on the Waleses. Marie-Christine could have been friendly with William, Harry and Charles.

I wonder if the Gloucesters and Harry get along.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Majesty

I really don't believe that Harry would even see the Gloucesters and/or the Kents that often. Perhaps at the extended family Christmas lunch at Buckingham Palace? I'd even go as far as to bet my last Greek yogurt that they're more like acquaintances than "family". Growing up, I had first cousins that I really only saw at weddings and funerals once my grandmother died.

Even the immediate family of Charles, Camilla, the Queen, DoE and William, Kate and Harry probably don't spend all that much time together either. They all have their own very busy schedules to keep. The only real closeness I have been able to gather from information is between W&K&H. That stands to reason though, they all live close together at KP and can visit and play with the kids when they have some down time.

So, really, I think for the most part, the Gloucesters and the Kents are pretty much irrelevant in Will and Harry's life.

It was mentioned that Marie-Christine was called the "Fuhrer" by Diana. She also has another pretty popular nickname which is "Princess Pushy".
Old 04-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Zara Philips did a lot for them and was often invited by the Prince of wales to share their holdays.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
We can argue that they didn't mention the Queen either, but William said previously that she was, as the Duke, a great support.
I know there's is a lot of wishful thinking about Charles being a bad father , but it's simply not true.
Exactly!

And when it comes to Charles's parenting:

1. The anti-Charles part of the British press says Charles was an absent and bad father (something we know is wrong).

2. The Pro Charles part of the British press (and yes it is one) says Charles was a present and good father (something we know is correct).

William/Harry's relationships with their grandmother's cousins:

Why should the Queen's cousins have a close relationship with (or good influence on) her grandsons? I'm from a close family, but I have no contact with my grandparents cousins.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Diana had called Marie-Christine "Fuhrer" because at Kensington, she'd spy on the Waleses. Marie-Christine could have been friendly with William, Harry and Charles.

I wonder if the Gloucesters and Harry get along.
The characters of Marie-Christine and Diana possibly were total opposites. I can imagine that Marie-Christine has a sort of tüchtige Germanic worldview and little patience for über-privileged ladies who come not furtherer than lamenting about their poor and miserable life. No, my idea is that Marie-Christine would say: stop wailing and panzer yourself! "Schatzlein, Sie sind die Prinzessin von Wales, um Gottes Willen!" (Darling, you are The Princess of Wales, for Christ's sake!)

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationships