The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-27-2009, 05:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Relationship between The Queen Mother and the Duchess of Windsor

The 70-year-old letter details the Queen Mother's refusal to receive Mrs Simpson at Buckingham Palace almost three years after the abdication of Edward VIII, who gave up the throne to marry the twice-divorced American socialite.

Letter reveals Queen Mother's rift with Wallis Simpson - Telegraph

Old 09-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Wallis never counted on what a tough "Cookie" the QM was, did she?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Royal Highness

Opposite personalities

Wallis called the QM "cookie" for her rounded face and figure and the Qm refused to ever have anything to do with Wallis.Hitler once was quoted as saying that the Qm was one of the most dangerous persons in Europe.Guess her formidable and presence intimidated even him.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Certainly it was about her influence over the King (its generally agreed that the King was, by nature, a shy and retiring indavidual and that it was his wife, the Queen, that reinforced his public image and had influence (as I'm sure she did) over decisions made by the sovereign).

So it would be my guess, that it wasn't about Elizabeth, herself, but the sway she could encourage.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

Elizabeth probably kept Wallis & Edward away in order to re-enforce a stable monarchy...
She was the cement & iron backbone after 1936 and during WWII - going out & about and showing her face and probably 'forcing' The King out there with her.
She didn't need 'the Windsors' back in Britain and all over the place taking the spotlight off the present monarch.
Edward VIII was responsible in large amount for putting George VI on the Throne and his Queen was responsible for keeping him there and making him look good.

Bermuda was the best place for Edward & Wallis - not London!!!

I have always believed that The Queen Mother saved the monarchy and worked steadily till the end of her life in that cause....

She did it by being both "the iron fist in the velvet glove" and "smile and wave"....

Larry
Old 09-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post
She did it by being both "the iron fist in the velvet glove" and "smile and wave"....

Larry
That sounds like our QM
She was a wonderful woman. Strong and determined to see her monarchy strive.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, exactly. It's a sign of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor's blindness that they didn't understand why they couldn't come back to Britain. After all, Edward VIII's abdication wasn't a European-style royal "retirement." He abandoned his nation and his empire for the love of a twice-divorced woman with a shady history. His actions caused great upheaval in his own family and in the rest of the country in a time when ideas of "duty" and "loyalty" were very important. As Queen Mary said to the Duke, people couldn't understand why the person whom they sacrificed for couldn't make a lesser sacrifice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchiolarry View Post
Elizabeth probably kept Wallis & Edward away in order to re-enforce a stable monarchy...
Old 09-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Edward's prolonged presence in Britain certainly would have detracted attention from the new king. They were wise to banish him. (It's hard to feel sorry for him, adequate financial provisions were made, and he didn't go out of his way to strengthen his own family ties.)
Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Not to mention what a stunning dresser Wallis was (you remember her comment that she wasn't much to look at so she had to dress better than anyone else) which would have taken attention away from the QM and the unification of GB for a common goal (of winning the war) she was working towards.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Heir Apparent

You think so? I've had the impression that the British thought of Wallis as "the woman who stole our King".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Not to mention what a stunning dresser Wallis was (you remember her comment that she wasn't much to look at so she had to dress better than anyone else) which would have taken attention away from the QM and the unification of GB for a common goal (of winning the war) she was working towards.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Administrator

It probably was a little of both.

Wallis, the adventuress who stole their King and not understanding why he couldn't make such a sacrfice.

Either way, things happen for a reason. Despite what many say about the Queen Mum (both rumoured and true), King George VI and his family were what Britain needed during WWII.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Royal Highness

Yes, I think Edward and Wallis would have acted like glamorous swans versus the less interesting George VI and his plain missus.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
Yes, I think Edward and Wallis would have acted like glamorous swans versus the less interesting George VI and his plain missus.

That comment sums up the often shallowness of many people - beauty over hardwork and dedication.

Give me the dedicated, loyal and dull George VI any day over the flash in the pan, couldn't hack it, wastrel Edward VIII.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Aristocracy

Hi,

I don't think The Queen Mother was plain at all.... She had beautiful porcelain skin (peaches & cream) and dressed for her figure type - organza & lace in fairy princess style!!!
Her hats maybe were a little 'Mad Hatter-ish' but she was interesting....

Edward & George were good looking princes and George was the one who "lucked out" with a good family life.
I can't see Edward as being happy - gallivanting to all those parties, with a lot of phony people around him....

Wallis was just mud homely and didn't look healthy. She had jewels but not much else... At the end, she was abandoned by most and was senile.
Elizabeth, at least, had a lot of friends and was quite cognizant till the last!!!

I'd say Elizabeth had the glamourous & useful life and Wallis the boring & useless one....

Brava, Queen Mum!!!

Larry
Old 09-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I agree the QM wasn't plain but I don't think she was particularly glamourous, Wallis was more so. Also Wallis didn't lead a useless life, she didn't really have a choice about how she lead the end of her life. Elizabeth had a useful life because she was the Queen, thats the only way.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Well said. I agree with everything in this post. And I think you can't compare Wallis & David with Bertie & Elizabeth. They were just very dissimilar couples IMO.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Royal Highness

Although Elizabeth might have been less glamorous than Wallis (and unfortunately, very thin people tend to wear clothes people), Queen Elizabeth would have been a better queen for the time than Queen Wallis. I don't think Wallis had the strength of wall or the ability to endure personal hardship that Elizabeth had. And I do think Elizabeth was lovely in the fairytale image she created for herself a la Winterhalter... that was very clever.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle View Post
How could anyone describe the late Queen Mother as plain?!
... I shall have to post more images of her when young
Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I always thought that Elizabeth was a natural beauty:

LIFE: Excellent profile portrait of young Eliz... - Hosted by Google
Old 09-05-2009, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I agree whole-heartedly. Wallis and Edward were glamorous, yes; but I don't know how they could have handled the decidedly unglamorous business of war. There was something movie-star-like about them, and Wallis also had a hardness about her. I can't imagine her being the motherly, concerned figure that Queen Elizabeth was during the War years.

[QUOTE=Zonk;987673

Either way, things happen for a reason. Despite what many say about the Queen Mum (both rumoured and true), King George VI and his family were what Britain needed during WWII.[/QUOTE]