Relationship between The Queen Mother and The Duchess of Windsor

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I have read in various book on King Edward VIII, it seems to me that he was not interested in being king at all, and so one can conclude that Wallis was simply an excuse. I do not however doubt that he loved her.

This has always been my contention, Olebabs, and yet another example of him putting his own needs above all else.

That may or may not be, but we could perhaps agree that the current BRF more than makes up for many things in the past.

Well perhaps it is just irony, one of the greatest love stories of the 20th century never resulted in children; and the Queen Mother who was part of the faction who disliked Wallis Simpson because she was divorced, ended seeing her daughter divorced and three of her grandchildren divorced.

Blue sky commented on the exact same irony, but with a tad more 'spitefulness' .

I don't see that the main reason for the late Queen mother Elizabeth not wanting Edward to marry Wallis was because she was divorced A point often overlooked is that at the time Edward said to his Prime Minister Baldwin that it was about time he met his future wife, Wallis was still married to Ernest Simpson and not a divorced woman. It might have been planned and in the offing but to all effects she was a married woman and could not marry anyone without committing bigamy.
The oft quoted story about the time that the Queen mother as the Duchess of York gave a so called snub to Wallis when she went to dinner at Balmoral was that the then mistress of the King was doing something unthinkable in those days, she was acting as hostess in a Royal home to the wife of a Royal Prince, so she was being in the eyes of anyone present being extremely impertinent, it was definitely not her place to welcome a member of the royal family to a royal house.
There are snippets that come to us from different sources and one such is from the young princesses' governess Crawfie, who said on the visit when Edward drove over for tea with his brother and family and "brought along" Mrs Simpson she was heard to say that she would like to see the trees cut down to make the view better. The Duchess of York was very put out by this remark, Wallis just didn't seem to know her place when she was mixing with royalty.
In the days that Edward became besotted with Wallis divorce was looked at in a completely different light to what it is these days, it is not really ironic, it is just that times have changed. Divorce is upsetting, but it is not the scandal it was in those days.
Wallis was viewed as an upstart and another factor that upset the royal family was the amount of money Edward was spending on his then mistress. He was always known as stingy if not downright niggardly, and was so until the end of his life, but he spent big money on Wallis. Mrs Belloc Lowndes a well known writer of the time saw her once at the theatre and remarked she was surprised that a woman who dressed so well would wear so much "dress" (false) jewellery, when her answer was smiles and laughs she realised that the jewellery which was in great quantities and very large was real.
I have posted this elsewhere, it is in this morning's DM and has some interesting points, not all bad about Wallis at all for once.
T

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems the late Queen Mother was such a vindictive person who hated the Duchess of Windsor to the end (and scorned the fact that Mrs Simpson was twice divorced etc), that it is "ironic" and "fitting" that she was alive to witness the demise of the marriages of her daughter, Margaret, and her grandchildren, Charles, Andrew, and Anne.

Blue sky, I am a fellow newbie but I think that yours is not a nice post.
The Queen mother had her reasons for disliking the Duchess of Windsor and if she was right or wrong she blamed the stress and worry that her husband had as the King of a country that was at war and living in London which was being bombed constantly. He never wanted to be King, he had a speech defect that made the constant talking and speech making he was obliged to do a torture. He was never strong as far as health was concerned and the Queen mother was perfectly happy to be the Duchess of York and have a family life in the house she was so fond of in Picccadilly. This has now disappeared as it got a direct bomb hit. She was described as a sweet person by the people who knew her at the time of her early marriage. If responsibility and worry made her resentful of the interloper who through her very existence threw the happy little family unit "to the wolves" who can blame her? Unless you actually knew her I would refrain from insulting her memory, and almost gloating at the fact that her immediate family did not find the happiness that she had had in their marriages and that the result was divorce.

I don't think the Queen Mother liked the Duchess of Windsor because she was divorced twice and probably also because she was American.
It was another time, the mentalities were completely different and Wallis was somehow to blame for a King of the United Kingdom abdicating the throne.
All this caused the conservative Queen Mother to hate her, a hatred that lasted her whole life.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-F_SGxaHK...AsYHQ/s0/58481c813856d34013cccd3ea84f352b.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H-Ed5hIj...wasn-t-significant-enough-to-hate-1802112.jpg

I don't think the Queen Mother liked the Duchess of Windsor because she was divorced twice and probably also because she was American.
It was another time, the mentalities were completely different and Wallis was somehow to blame for a King of the United Kingdom abdicating the throne.
All this caused the conservative Queen Mother to hate her, a hatred that lasted her whole life.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-F_SGxaHK...AsYHQ/s0/58481c813856d34013cccd3ea84f352b.jpg

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-H-Ed5hIj...wasn-t-significant-enough-to-hate-1802112.jpg
Yes Wallis WAS responsible for Edward abdicating.. It may be that something else might have pushed Ed to abdicate.. but what ti actually was, was the Simpson affair. So of course the QM felt anger at the couple and felt that if Mrs Simpson hadn't come along, hadn't had the affair with Edward, he might have stuck things out.

Back
Top Bottom