The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Royal Highness

Let's not forget that Diana and Raine did reconcile somewhat a few years later. Regardless of the issues the children had with Raine, she nursed the Earl in his bad health and stayed with him. It was extremely inappropriate of Diana and her brother to throw Raine out like that-regardless of their reasons. The woman had taken care of their father! Anyway.....

I'm curious about something. When Charles takes the throne, Camilla will become Queen Consort; if Charles predeceases Camilla, what would happen to her title? Can she lose title rank like that? I know she couldn't technically be the Queen Mother, not being the mother of the King. But, wouldn't she still be the Dowager Queen? I don't see how it could possible be right to demote her to Princess after she is Queen.

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-22-2007, 09:48 AM

If she is already Queen Consort and then if Charles predeceases her, then she will be Dowager Queen Camilla. If it's the case of her being Princess Consort, as Clarence House asserts, then I believe she would remain HRH Princess Camilla. I am sure, like you, that she will be Queen Consort, then Dowager Queen. Either way, I don't see how she can ever be demoted below HRH. IF Queen Consort/Dowager Queen, then she is HM. If Princess Consort, etc. always HRH but never less than that. Widowhood can never be a case for losing HRH or HM status. Only divorce or renunciation, or for a monarch abdication, I am sure, can be a case for that.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Royal Highness

Thank you, CasiraghiTrio, for that nice explanation.
I DO hope that Camilla becomes Queen Consort, then Dowager Queen (Not that I want anything to happen to Charles, mind you). I don't care for the HRH The Princess Consort mess. She should be an HM The Queen Consort. I stand on tradition!

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
Old 09-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
I think it depends on how long they have been married. After all the Duke of E was only made a Prince of the United Kingdom when he had been 'married into the family' for 11 years.
Nine years and three months. Married November 1947. Created Prince of the UK February 1957.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Aristocracy

I want to thank everyone for all the valuable and interesting information. The whole topic of the Royal Family and how it functions is absolutely enthralling to me. I am going to need to go back to my favorite used book store and make some additional purchases. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!
Old 09-22-2007, 06:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Where will William and Henry live when Charles becomes King. any ideas
Clarence House is big enough to accomodate both until they marry and have families. William is likely to continue to reside there until he becomes King himself.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:19 PM

That is if he becomes King. If Britain became a republic during that time, they'd have to (shock, horror) work for a living and rent somewhere.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well, I don't know how it's worked out but I assume that the Queen would create Camilla a Princess in her own right so she'd become HRH Princess Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall or HRH Princess Camilla, Princess of Wales. I think she'd continue using Clarence House as her office and London residence whilst using Highgrove and Ray Mill as her country pads. And financially, she'd have her own wealth, her money she gets for carrying out engagements and anything Charles has left her in his will.
I doubt The Queen would be inclined to be that generous. She is not the mother of the two heirs and was not given court precedence as a princess, so that's highly unlikely, to say the least.

Camilla is quite wealthy in her own right and Charles created several trusts for her and the Parker-Bowles children before they married, so she is set financially no matter what.

As to whether she would continue to carry out any royal engagements or be an active member of the royal family, that would be up to her.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
That is if he becomes King. If Britain became a republic during that time, they'd have to (shock, horror) work for a living and rent somewhere.
I doubt Britain will become a republic anytime soon.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I doubt The Queen would be inclined to be that generous. She is not the mother of the two heirs and was not given court precedence as a princess, so that's highly unlikely, to say the least.
Ah but we're talking about a death here and there'll need to be some clearly defined role for Camilla as a widow, in which case I can only think of a Marina or Alice type precedent for the Queen to follow.

Quote:
I doubt Britain will become a republic anytime soon.
Next five years? No. Next 10 years? No. Next 20 years? I should have something rustled up by then.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Ah but we're talking about a death here and there'll need to be some clearly defined role for Camilla as a widow, in which case I can only think of a Marina or Alice type precedent for the Queen to follow.

Next five years? No. Next 10 years? No. Next 20 years? I should have something rustled up by then.
If it's 20 years, then more than likely it will fall on Charles' watch, not William's. In which case Charles will have to get a job and work for a living and pay rent as well. 20 years will be around Coronation time, given QEII's family longevity.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I don't understand how some people want England to become a republic.
And what would happen to all the palaces and jewels.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:58 PM

Oh please, if government hinged on palaces and jewels, Imelda Marcos would be world dictator by now. The Palaces simply become museums and the Royal Family keep their jewels to wear to birthdays and the like when they fancy re-living old times. Simple.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well imo England will still be a monarchy during and after William's reign.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:15 PM

Bear in mind that when you talk of England you're talking of one part of the union and with the Scots on the road to independance now, England will have to decide whether it keeps the Crown or not and I don't see it retaining it.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

I mean the "United Kingdom".
Old 09-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Yup. One wonders what would happen to the surviving spouse of a former Royal of a constituent country in the Union? For example, if England got rid of the RF and Scotland kept the monarchy, would the whole RF relocate to Balmoral and Holyrood, surviving spouses and all? A former Queen in one and a Queen in another I suppose.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think if Britain became a republic, the senior royals would be expected to move out of the country. The new order wouldn't want the ex-King around as a focus for people unhappy with things.

However, in the event that Britain stays a monarchy and the senior royals die in the order expected (ie, the Queen predeceases Charles and Camilla, and Charles dies before his sons), both William and Harry will need somewhere to live separate from their father if they get married in his lifetime; if they get married during the Queen's lifetime there'll be even fewer choices for them. I doubt Charles would give up Highgrove unless he was able to take over the running of Windsor; if he's King when William marries, it's possible that William will get Highgrove. Since Highgrove is owned by the Duchy of Cornwall, I assume that'd rule out Harry as the next occupant.

The Royal Lodge would be one obvious place for one of the King's sons, but that would depend on Andrew finding somewhere else to live, which is unlikely. And given its association with the Duke of Windsor, I doubt that Fort Belvedere will be turned back into a royal residence any time soon.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
The new order wouldn't want the ex-King around as a focus for people unhappy with things.
The European Court of Human Rights would never wear that. I think in that situation, it'd be a case of allowing them one private residence such as Sandringham and then leaving them to get on with it. Those over 60 wouldn't get the state pension though as they've never paid for any stamps. The younger ones would be entitled to Job Seeker's Allowance until they found full time work but it depends on how the money is dished out when the Republic comes. I imagine any Royal widows over the age of 60 would be treated with kid gloves.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
The European Court of Human Rights would never wear that.
How many previous cases are there where ex-monarchs have been allowed to stay in their countries?

Maybe if William is deposed and Camilla is still alive, she'd be allowed to stay on at Raymill House or Highgrove, but I doubt that Mr and Mrs William Mountbatten-Windsor would be welcome.

Tags
dowager, styles and titles