The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-28-2005, 08:55 PM

I think I read some time ago that the phrase "Queen Mother" was used to distinguish the consort of George VI from her daughter as from the accession of Queen Elizabeth II there would have been two Queen Elizabeths.

Old 10-01-2005, 02:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have a question--kinda dumb I know-

I recall reading that Prince William told Diana that when he became king he would give her her title back...Can he do that when he is king, even if she is dead...how would that work?

Old 10-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Aristocracy

I think it would just be by Royal decree.The Monarch has the power to create Peers.

Caroline Mathilda
Old 10-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda
I think it would just be by Royal decree.The Monarch has the power to create Peers.

Caroline Mathilda
Diana wasn't a peeress in her own right, and posthumous creation of peerage dignity is something that is unheard of.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

To be Queen Mother one would have to have been married to a King and the Mother of a Queen. If Elizabeth was a boy rather than a girl The Queen Mum would have probably been called something else.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejonnhy25
To be Queen Mother one would have to have been married to a King and the Mother of a Queen. If Elizabeth was a boy rather than a girl The Queen Mum would have probably been called something else.
A Queen Mother is a former consort who is the mother of the monarch, King or Queen. If Princess Elizabeth had a brother who succeeded to the Throne, there would be no confusion (unless the King married an Elizabeth!). It is generally accepted that the (Dowager) Queen Elizabeth used the style 'Queen Mother' to avoid reference to two Queen Elizabeths. Maybe it also appealed to her matriarchal view of her role within the inner Royal family?

After the death of their husbands the two previous Queens, Alexandra and Mary were styled 'Dowager Queen' and also 'Queen Mother'. However, both preferred to retain their consort styles and be known simply as Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry's polo shirt
I have a question--kinda dumb I know-

I recall reading that Prince William told Diana that when he became king he would give her her title back...Can he do that when he is king, even if she is dead...how would that work?
Supposedly, William told Diana he would re-grant the rank of Royal Highness to her once he became King. It is not a title, but a prefix defining rank. After the divorce, Diana no longer had a title, but a style as the divorced wife of a royal peer, similar to a surname.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
Diana wasn't a peeress in her own right, and posthumous creation of peerage dignity is something that is unheard of.
Diana was the daughter of an Earl and held the style and title of Lady. After the divorce, she was technically Lady Diana, Princess of Wales, rather than HRH the Princess of Wales, and was no longer a princess of the UK.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline mathilda

Caroline Mathilda
The Queen could have created Diana a peer in her own right as the mother of a future King after the divorce. Although she did not, the Queen did grant Diana status and precedence as a member of the royal family similar to that which she enjoyed during her marriage to Prince Charles. As a result, while technically no longer royal, Diana was treated as such even though she was a divorcee.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Shouldn't she still have had royal status though?
Old 10-02-2005, 02:39 AM
Serene Highness

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
A Queen Mother is a former consort who is the mother of the monarch, King or Queen. If Princess Elizabeth had a brother who succeeded to the Throne, there would be no confusion (unless the King married an Elizabeth!). It is generally accepted that the (Dowager) Queen Elizabeth used the style 'Queen Mother' to avoid reference to two Queen Elizabeths. Maybe it also appealed to her matriarchal view of her role within the inner Royal family?

After the death of their husbands the two previous Queens, Alexandra and Mary were styled 'Dowager Queen' and also 'Queen Mother'. However, both preferred to retain their consort styles and be known simply as Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary.
So if Wills marries Kate we will eventually have

Queen Katharine

&

Queen Camilla

??????? :o :p :p :p
Old 10-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by wymanda
So if Wills marries Kate we will eventually have Queen Katharine & Queen Camilla ?
If William V ascends the throne when his stepmother is still alive, she will be styled, most likely, as 'Her Majesty Queen Camilla'. The correct style for Kate is going to be simply 'Her Majesty The Queen'.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle
i have a quick question

let's say William becomes king after Charles and marries a woman who then becomes queen (consort), but Will dies without having any children. So then the throne passes to Harry, who is also married, and who then becomes king. Does William's wife continue to be called 'queen'? Does she give this title up to Harry's wife??sorry that might be a silly question but i was just wondering! :)
I think for your question above, has similarity with what has happened in Belgium royal family....When King Bouduin passed away without any child then his brother become king and his wife, Paola, become a new Belgian queen...As we know Bodouin's widow, Fabiola, still keeps her title as Queen Fabiola.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
If William V ascends the throne when his stepmother is still alive, she will be styled, most likely, as 'Her Majesty Queen Camilla'. The correct style for Kate is going to be simply 'Her Majesty The Queen'.
The correct style for her as a queen consort would still be Her Majesty Queen Katherine, I think. "Her Majesty The Queen" is the title of a queen regnant.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
The correct style for her as a queen consort would still be Her Majesty Queen Katherine, I think. "Her Majesty The Queen" is the title of a queen regnant.
Mmm... Wikipedia disagrees with you, although it is prone to error. Diplomatic Ceremonial and Protocol by Wood and Serres is unclear. I'll look into it.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaggleofcrazypeople
Shouldn't she still have had royal status though?
Diana remained royal because the Queen declared she would remain a member of the royal family after the divorce as the mother of Prince William. As Sovereign, the Queen also declared Diana's precedence would remain the same at state and national occasions.

Given these announcements, there was no question that Diana remained a senior royal despite the divorce.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Kate would not be styled "Her Majesty the Queen" as this refers to the reigning Sovereign, not a Consort. She would simply be "Queen Katherine" and Camilla would remain "Queen Camilla".
Old 10-02-2005, 05:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Kate would not be styled "Her Majesty the Queen" as this refers to the reigning Sovereign, not a Consort. She would simply be "Queen Katherine" and Camilla would remain "Queen Camilla".
Are you sure? I'm trying to find a text of one of the orders-in-council issued between 1937 and 1952 appointing the counsellors of state. I have a vague feeling that the Queen Consort was referred to simply as 'Her Majesty the Queen' there.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thats what I've seen when refering to the Queen Mum.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:17 PM
Courtier

I think I have seen other Queens refered to that way in England (ex HM the Queen of Sweden)

Durning William reign it would be HM Queen Camilla and HM Queen Katherine. HM the Queen would refer to Kate only.

Queen (or King) Regents are the only ones that get numbers (HM Queen Elizabeth II)

Tags
dowager, styles and titles