Questions about British Styles and Titles 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
George III second son was the Duke of York. He died in 1828 - so hardly 'nearly 200 years' as Queen Victoria knew her Uncle Frederick who was HRH The Duke of York and regent for his older brother in Hannover.

Let's assume C3 is a boy. Even if Andrew dies before he marries, and York is available, I bet he gets the Cambridge ducal title instead. It would be sentimental because of his parents, and he, himself, will have likely used Cambridge as a last name in his early years.

Interesting idea (although the degree of sentimentality might depend on how long the duke and duchess are known by this name (and therefore their children as well). It would, however, require (next to your assumption) that William is king at that point as the title won't merge with the crown any earlier. Otherwise, they might end up with the same situation as Edward is in; a lower title, until the Cambridge title becomes available.

I have read and followed the logic of the arguments on the thread stating that Harry most likely will be granted a Dukedom upon marriage, and while I understand the (apparent) inevitability of such happening, my hope for him is that he will take an earldom because I love the sound of 'Countess' (over 'Duchess'). :flowers:

'Countess' sounds so classy. :cool: Plus they could do the cutting-edge thing (in keeping with 'normality') and raise their children without titles (like the Wessexes are doing, like Anne did), thus preparing them for the new world they will inhabit (without royalty). JMO. :flowers:

Last edited:
Let's not forget, although Harry is the second son of a future monarch, he cannot be made Duke of York until Andrew passes, and Charlotte cannot be named Princess Royal until Anne passes . . . . .
Here's the thing, while you are correct that there can only be one Princess Royal at any one time, it is not an automatic title. Mary, the previous holder of that title, died in 1965 and the Queen didn't create Anne Princess Royal until 1987.

I may be that the title is bestowed when the recipient reaches her early twenties or the previous title holder dies, whichever comes first.

Last edited:
William still has to be King for Charlotte to become Princess Royal. If Anne died tomorrow, Charlotte could not become Princess Royal until she is the eldest daughter of the King.

It could be 30 years before Charlotte would even be eligible ...or longer if Anne is as long lived as the other females in her family.

LaRae

Titles

The Wessex family do have titles for their children, Lady Louise and Viscount James. Unlike Princess Anne who, though not automatically entitled to titles for her children, could have been granted them by the Queen, but didn't want her kids to have titles.

I have read and followed the logic of the arguments on the thread stating that Harry most likely will be granted a Dukedom upon marriage, and while I understand the (apparent) inevitability of such happening, my hope for him is that he will take an earldom because I love the sound of 'Countess' (over 'Duchess'). :flowers:

'Countess' sounds so classy. :cool: Plus they could do the cutting-edge thing (in keeping with 'normality') and raise their children without titles (like the Wessexes are doing, like Anne did), thus preparing them for the new world they will inhabit (without royalty). JMO. :flowers:

What on earth is "classy" about the word Countess? It is just a word and since it signifies a lower rank than duke there is noway that Harry would want it for himself and his wife.
The Wessexes and their children DO have titles, they are Earl and Countess of Wessex and their children are Viscoutnt Severn and Lady Louise MB. And it is intended that in time Edward will become Duke of Edinburgh.
And since Harry's children are royal and close to the throne.. unless the monarchy ends I don't know what you mean by a new world without royalty

a new world without royalty

Spoken like a republican .. If you dream of a World without Monarchies, why would you be on 'the Royal Forums' ?

The Wessex family do have titles for their children, Lady Louise and Viscount James. Unlike Princess Anne who, though not automatically entitled to titles for her children, could have been granted them by the Queen, but didn't want her kids to have titles.

The Wessex children were eligible to be HRH Prince/Princess. Anne's children were not ever going to be HRH Prince/Princess. So instead of being a Prince, James becomes a Duke in time and Princess Louise is Lady Louise instead. Lady is a pretty common courtesy title. Way more Ladies in the UK than Princess, Dukes aren't that common but there is no great estate tied to the title.

Well, with Kent, Gloucester, and, after Edward's creation, Edinburgh, slated to leave the RF for the foreseeable future, having York "reserved" for the Heir's Heir would keep this very historic title in the family, by the fact that it does merge. Giving it to younger sons (or daughters) would see it leaving the family. Unless, of course, it is a "life" peerage, such as those in Sweden - but there has never been a "life" dukedom created in the UK.

In fact there were at least 6 dukedoms created "for life": Ireland (1386), Norfolk (1397), Montrose (1489), Hamilton (1660), Munster (1716), Kendal (1719)

In fact there were at least 6 dukedoms created "for life": Ireland (1386), Norfolk (1397), Montrose (1489), Hamilton (1660), Munster (1716), Kendal (1719)
There's also been a few dukedoms created for women with no rights of passing them on making them life peerages by default

Titles

If the Cambridge family have another boy, won't he become Duke of York eventually, just as George will become Prince of Wales? Probably he would be created York on his marriage.

Questions about British Styles and Titles

Andrew has to be dead for the title to revert back to the Crown so it can be used again. We don't know what would happen first C3 getting married or Andrew dying. If William is King when C3 marries assuming he is a boy, he may want to give C3 the Cambridge Dukedom instead

I stand corrected.:flowers:

There's also been a few dukedoms created for women with no rights of passing them on making them life peerages by default
I did forget about all those Royal Mistresses:lol:

A good example of a daughter inheriting a peerage from her father would be Patricia Knatchbull, 2nd Countess Mountbatten of Burma, CBE, MSC, CD. With a special remainder, she was able to inherit her father's peerage and sat in the House of Lords until 1999 when the House of Lords Act 1999 removed most hereditary peers from the House.

The hereditary title passed to her son, Norton Knatchbull, on Patricia's recent death in June this year.

The Wessex children were eligible to be HRH Prince/Princess. Anne's children were not ever going to be HRH Prince/Princess. So instead of being a Prince, James becomes a Duke in time and Princess Louise is Lady Louise instead. Lady is a pretty common courtesy title. Way more Ladies in the UK than Princess, Dukes aren't that common but there is no great estate tied to the title.

No but I think the queen did want Anne's husband to have a title of nobility so that her grandchildren would not be plain Mr and Miss Phillips. however Mark and Anne preferred not to have a title. and their children were never going to be considered royal so their parents preferred them to be just "ordinary people" with no special rank...
. but she could have made Mark Earl of Gatcombe and Peter would have been say Viscount Phillips and Z Lady Zara Phillips.
with the Wessexes it is possible that they could be given royal titles but they are so far away from the throne that it seems as if the queen and the Wessexes would prefer tehm just to have a title of Nobility...in due course

with the Wessexes it is possible that they could be given royal titles but they are so far away from the throne that it seems as if the queen and the Wessexes would prefer tehm just to have a title of Nobility...in due course

The Wessex children already are HRH Prince/Princess of the UK, that is automatically their title after their birth by law from 1917, but they just choose to be styled/addressed in a different way.

No but I think the queen did want Anne's husband to have a title of nobility so that her grandchildren would not be plain Mr and Miss Phillips. however Mark and Anne preferred not to have a title. and their children were never going to be considered royal so their parents preferred them to be just "ordinary people" with no special rank...
. but she could have made Mark Earl of Gatcombe and Peter would have been say Viscount Phillips and Z Lady Zara Phillips.

I read in one of Anne's bios that Mark flat refused to even consider it.

LaRae

The Wessex children already are HRH Prince/Princess of the UK, that is automatically their title after their birth by law from 1917, but they just choose to be styled/addressed in a different way.

Not according to the letter I received from BP when I wrote and asked.

They told me that all that was needed to deprive them of the style of HRH was that The Queen's Will was made known and that happened so they aren't HRH Prince/Princess.

I wrote and asked simply because this kept coming up on here and the letter was very clear: 'The Queen's Will was made known'.

I suspect the reason they didn't change the LPs at this stage is that it would have meant stripping the Queen's cousins of a style they have had since they were born in the 1930s and 1940s but I also suspect that it will come - probably in William's reign to have only the children of the heir apparent styled as HRH.

Meghan and Kate most likely will continue to use The Duchess of X and The Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge. Neither woman would ever use her first name in her style unless they divorce. Examples of that is Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York. No "the" in the styles as it denotes that they were *a* Duchess of so and so.
Just a quick comment: I do not expect Catherine to use 'The Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge' once William is The Prince of Wales. I sincerely hope that she will opt to be known as 'The Princess of Wales'.

Furthermore, there is another moment in which her first name will be used officially (other than divorce): when William becomes King she will be known as HM Queen Catherine (if I am not mistaken).

You are correct. The only reason I didn't put in The Princess of Wales as an example is that its not a given that William will be created The Prince of Wales. That will be up to Charles. I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't do so but as I said, its not a given.

Actuall when William becomes King, Kate will be known as HM, The Queen. I don't believe she will use her first name at all in her styling. I could be wrong on this though. :D

You are correct. The only reason I didn't put in The Princess of Wales as an example is that its not a given that William will be created The Prince of Wales. That will be up to Charles. I can't think of any reason why he wouldn't do so but as I said, its not a given.

Actuall when William becomes King, Kate will be known as HM, The Queen. I don't believe she will use her first name at all in her styling. I could be wrong on this though. :D

Actually being Queen is the only time her first name will be used. HM Queen Catherine.

Same rule applies as it did to Queen Elizabeth (wife of King George VI), Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra ... and so on.

Actually being Queen is the only time her first name will be used. HM Queen Catherine.

Same rule applies as it did to Queen Elizabeth (wife of King George VI), Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra ... and so on.

But were they known as such while their husbands were alive? Or was it only after (once they were Dowagers)?

In your post you specifically mentioned that William would be The Prince of Wales if Charles decides to do so, so that's why I was surprised that you didn't mention something along the same lines for Catherine :flowers:

See:
Another thing is that if Charles is King, Harry would be The Prince Henry, Duke of X. William would be The Prince William, Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge and (if Charles decides to created his son) The Prince of Wales.

In the CC I indeed expect Catherine to be known as 'HM The Queen' (next to HM The King for William. However, the current Queen is (also) known as 'Queen Elizabeth II' (see for example: Her Majesty The Queen - Accession and Coronation - although normally she is referred to as 'The Queen' or 'Her Majesty') and there are debates about the regal name that Charles will pick. So, apparently the first names are relevant and official - or at least the Sovereign's name; even though normally 'The King' and 'The Queen' along with 'His Majesty' and 'Her Majesty' will be used.

We at least know for sure that she won't be known as 'Queen William (V)' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom