The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by margotantoinette
here's a question hopefully someone could answer: if William or Harry were to marry a woman who is a princess in her own right because she is the child of a sovereign, such as Madeleine of Sweden, what would her title be? Would she be Princess Madeleine of Wales and Sweden? and do you think that they would make her give up her place in the swedish succession?
It would be the same as when Princess Marina of Greece & Denmark married Prince George. After her marriage, she was styled HRH Princess Marina, The Duchess of Kent, with permission of George V. Both George VI and Elizabeth II recognized her rank as a princess as well.

I am not familiar with Swedish law on the succession to the throne, but I assume Madeleine would be required to reliniquish her place in the line of succession upon marriage to a foreign heir or spare to another nation.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Nobility

I was wondering if the duke york remarried could the queen make her princess her first name and her HRH Duchess of york. Or would she have to just remain duchess of york.

Old 08-06-2006, 12:48 PM

If the Duke remarried, his new wife would be HRH The Duchess of York. Sarah would be Sarah, Duchess of York but would probably stop using the courtesy title.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
If the Duke remarried, his new wife would be HRH The Duchess of York. Sarah would be Sarah, Duchess of York but would probably stop using the courtesy title.
Or if it happen maybe not she but the colour press and people would stop calling her Dss of York.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sarah is not a member of the royal family anyway, so I doubt it would matter much if she dropped the style, especially since she lives in New York now.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:17 PM

I think it's about time she dropped it. It causes all kinds of problems, especially as she seems to insist on being addressed as "Her Grace".
Old 08-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Sarah is not a member of the royal family anyway, so I doubt it would matter much if she dropped the style, especially since she lives in New York now.
At this years's Garter Ceremony we saw that Sarah was present for the installation of the Duke of York. Am I mistaken or there is something special between both? They seem to be going along well together. Do you think that a «reunion» could be something that we could see in the future?
Old 08-06-2006, 03:04 PM

Well, it's rumoured that Andrew and Sarah are seeing alot of each other but I very much doubt they would remarry. The Royal Family have just returned to normality, or as normal as they can get. They haven't been this content for years and I doubt anyone would want a repeat performance of Sarah's years as Duchess of York. So I doubt there will be a reunion.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think it's about time she dropped it. It causes all kinds of problems, especially as she seems to insist on being addressed as "Her Grace".
I think it's about time people just stopped addressing her that way. That'd solve the problem.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Nobility

I don't think sarah would want to do that again it wasn't for her. I think they love each other and are great friends
Old 08-07-2006, 10:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Really? I haven't seen anything written about this. Is it reliable info or tabloid trash that is reporting this? If it is true, it's inappropriate.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Courtier

The issue of what to call ex-wives of royals is a tricky one. Most ppl just call them Ma'am, because you can't call them by their given names, because you don't know them well enough, and you don't call them by Her Grace. Diana was called Ma'am and referred to as The Princess after her divorce. Sarah is called Ma'am and referred to, formally by people in conversation as The Duchess, because the whole title is described as too long to bother with.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

I doubt Sarah insists on being addressed as Your Grace as she is not a duchess. While married, she was HRH The Princess Andrew and was styled The Duchess of York from her husband's peerages. Her rank and precedence flowed from her status as a princess of the UK, not a Duchess.

With divorce, she was no longer a princess of the UK or The Duchess of York. She carries a style appropriate to a divorcee of a peer, but is granted some additional courtesy as the mother of two princesses of the blood royal.

She is addressed as Ma'am or Duchess in conversation.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:50 AM

Sarah isn't addressed as "Duchess". Nobody is ever addressed as "Duchess". Sarah's PA apparantly instructs people who are to get a visit from Sarah as "Ma'am" but according to a piece in the Daily Mail, Sarah was insisting on being addressed as "Your Grace" as recently as January of this year. So "Ma'am" yes but "Duchess" no.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Serene Highness

I don't put any stock into what the Daily Mail says about Sarah. Their columnists are extremely biased against her.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:47 AM

Oh I agree but she strikes me as just the sort who would insist on it. She's really in limbo. If I were her, I'd drop the Duchess bit and just go back to being Ms Ferguson.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Sarah was once giving an interview at the (US) TV program where my aunt works and she told me Sarah just introduced herself with " Hello, I'm sarah."

a few weeks later Princess Micheal of Kent came by as well and introduced herself with the words "hello, I'm princess michael of kent"

interesting difference...
Old 08-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
I don't put any stock into what the Daily Mail says about Sarah. Their columnists are extremely biased against her.
I so totally agree! I have made comments on their user board many times asking why they have such a nasty attitude toward her! I really don't get it.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:06 AM

Alot of people in Britain see Sarah as an embarrassment and that attitude will take a long time to fall away. She's seen as a bit of a hanger on, eeking an existance out on the book circuit and being a barnicle to her daughters. That might not be the way it really is but thats how she appears and it doesn't do her any favours. I was watching an old Vicar of Dibley last night and it was a post-divorce Sarah who was the butt of the jokes. To most, she'll forever be dirty Fergie who sucked toes and hadn't a clue how to behave. It's sad but it's almost engrained in us now that Sarah just isn't liked.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Toe-sucking is old hat. This thread's about titles.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles