The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #141  
Old 03-04-2006, 06:31 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, United States
Posts: 1,547
Yes, please see the wonderful book written by Hugo Vickers, "Princess Alice". He provides a wonderful indepth chapter in regards to how Prince Philip became a natualized citizen of Great Britain and how HM King George VI elevated him to royal status just before his marriage.

I think the book does a great job in explaining not only what happened, but, gives excellent insight as to how other royals had their titles changed and for what reasons.

I love the book and have read it 4 times now.

He paints, I believe, a very fair and interesting picture on all of this.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to other members' comments and views. I learn from you all. :)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 03-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
Lady Marmalade, I have keep posting and deleting my answers to your posts, but here I go for good. There are some points I would like to challenge.

1. Philip renounced his Greeks titles:
Can you provide a source for that? AFAIK, he did not. As a matter of fact he ceased to used them but that does not mean he relished them. As a member of a reigning royal family, to lose his titles he would to formally present a request to King Paul or King Constantine II and Have this request formally accepted. There is no hint that either of this happened. Or there might, in this case please provide a link.

2. Philip was naturalised, thus he lost his titles:
Philip was born a British subject due to his quality of a non-catholic descendant in the male line of Electress Sophia (the Naturalisation act). Even through, he was also born a Prince of Greece and Denmark. I highlight this because you seem to believe there is a contradiction between being a Greek Prince and being a British subject.
Obviously there are none.

3. He was plain Lt Philip Mountbatten:
He wasn't plain Lt Philip Mountbatten. It was an honor to be Lt Philip Mountbatten. It was a rank he did earn through his merit, and was more prestigious that any titles he was born with. In social use, a military rank nearly always has precedence to a aristocratic rank. That did not mean he had no other titles. Now for the Mountbatten part, Philip needed a surname (since Prince of Greece and Denmark is not a surname). It was pretty obvious he was not going to use Glucksburg (spell.?) as it was WWII, so Mountbatten it was (nice English sounding name). Again, it did not mean he had lost any of his titles.

4. He was a commoner:
As a member of a reigning royal family (Greek Monarchy was abolished in the 70's) with more blue-blood than his own wife, he wasn't a commoner and was certainly not looked like this by anyone at the time.
Again, he you can prove that he relinquished is Greek title, we may agree on that one.

5. Your scenario:
I don't understand it. You say that because he was made HRH Duke of Edinburg, then his children obtained a title. But his children's titles had no link with his own. Charles and Ann were Princes of the United Kingdom when their one dad wasn't up until 1957 (7 years after the birth of Ann). So they did not inherit their titles from their dad. Beside, HRH is a style, not a title, and one does not 'inherit' it.
So I would agree with Branchg that Philip titles were irrelevant and that the future Queen's children would have been created Princes of the UK, regardless of who the dad was, or what were his titles.
__________________

__________________

Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 03-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
PS: my main sources for the statements above are Alt.Talk.Royalty.FAQ, Wikipedia, the Alexander Palace Forum and this very forum.

I trust you will disagree, Lady Marmalade, and I am looking forward to your answer. :)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 03-04-2006, 09:46 AM
HighGoalHighDreams's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 200
Source

I was curious about this, because I'd heard in documentaries that Philip indeed renounced his titles and became a British citizen to marry Elizabeth.

This is what I found on www.royal.gov.uk- http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page413.asp

"Prince Philip adopted the family name of Mountbatten when he became a naturalised British subject and renounced his Royal title in 1947."
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Philip relinquished the use of his style and title as a Prince of Greece & Denmark (and his place in the succession to the throne of Greece) as part of his naturalization to British citizenship in preparation for marriage to The Princess Elizabeth. The reason he did so was purely political.

At the time, he was under criticism from members of the Royal Household and the Establishment for not being worthy enough to marry the heir to the throne. In addition, the press was calling him "Phil the Greek" and a "foreigner", even though he had, in fact, spent most of his life in the UK, served with great distinction in the Royal Navy and was a British royal as a direct descendant of Queen Victoria.

Legally, it's true he was Lt. Philip Mountbatten, RN after becoming a British national, but that doesn't mean he wasn't royal. George VI granted him the rank of Royal Highness thinking it would automatically make Philip a Prince of the UK, which it did not. Later, The Queen and Parliament rectified this matter formally in 1957.

The issue of the rank and style of Elizabeth's children has been addressed. Under the 1917 Letters Patent of George V, the grandchildren of the Sovereign in the female line are not allowed the rank of HRH and Prince/Princess of the UK.

Regardless of who Elizabeth married, George VI would have issued letters patent granting her children the rank and title because she was the heir to the throne and they were next in line.
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 03-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Philip relinquished the use of his style and title as a Prince of Greece & Denmark (and his place in the succession to the throne of Greece) as part of his naturalization to British citizenship in preparation for marriage to The Princess Elizabeth.
Did the fact that his relinquished the used mean that he relinquished the title itself?
And is it possible for a Greek Prince to renounce his place in the succession? If so, how?
Thank you in advance.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 03-04-2006, 11:33 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Thanks for clarifying a bit.

I think although Philip didn't specifically request the King of Greece to relinquish his titles, it would appear that by becoming a naturalized British citizen and taking the name Lt. Philip Mountbatten, he would in effect relinquish his titles in the eyes of the British law. Whether he would still have his titles in the eyes of the Greek law I don't know.

According to British law, it doesn't appear that he was naturalized under the Act of Naturalization for the Descendents of Electress Sophie. The British Home Office has a quite informative page on the law:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...electress.html

Prince Ernst August of Hannover claimed citizenship under the act but the page doesn't mention Prince Philip. Futhermore, from this page, I gather that the rights of citizenship under the act wouldn't have given Philip the right to live in Britain. That wouldn't have helped him much.

It does appear that whether or not Philip had royal titles himself, they would not have made much difference to his children's titles because their mother was heiress to the throne. The only other Queen who married a member of the reigning house and had children was Queen Anne who married Prince George of Denmark. They had several children who died in infancy but one who lived to adulthood was simply styled, HRH Duke of Gloucester.

It appears that the confusion on Prince Philip's title at his marriage result from two things:

1. Husbands, unlike wives, don't automatically assume the titles of their royal wives,
2. Children generally inherit their titles from their fathers, not their mothers.
3. As stated above, George V didn't take into consideration the titles of the children of a female heir in his Letters of Patent. If he had, there would have been less confusion.

I think another source of confusion is what people refer to when they say upon marriage. Philip's status upon marriage would generally be considered his status he brought to the union when it was approved, not the status that the King conferred on him after approving the marriage. Yes, technically Philip was a Royal Highness at his marriage but that was only because George VI created him one in anticipation of the marriage. But the status that he brought into a proposed marriage was of a British commoner subject of royal ancestry.

So it appears that Philip had during his lifetime three statuses:

From birth to naturalization: Prince Philip of Greece (royal status-foreign)
From naturalization to the approval of the marriage: Lt. Philip Mountbatten (non royal status-British subject-commoner)
From approval of the marriage to late fifties, HRH Duke of Edinburgh (royal status-British) and thereafter Prince of the UK (royal status-British)
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 03-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Idriel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: around, France
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
According to British law, it doesn't appear that he was naturalized under the Act of Naturalization for the Descendents of Electress Sophie.
I wasn't saying that he used this act to become British subject, I was saying that he was British from day one, because this act is automatic. You don't have to ask for the British citizenship. If you fulfil the conditions, you automatically are.
Both the British government and Philip himself were unaware of that fact so he was naturalised through the usual process, even through that was not necessary.
I wonder if, would that fact been known at the time, Philip would have still been met by xenophobia and would have stop using his Greek title.

Quote:
I think although Philip didn't specifically request the King of Greece to relinquish his titles, it would appear that by becoming a naturalized British citizen and taking the name Lt. Philip Mountbatten, he would in effect relinquish his titles in the eyes of the British law. Whether he would still have his titles in the eyes of the Greek law I don't know.
I had never considered that. Can someone bring more details
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 03-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
According to Vickers biography of Princess Andrew, Philip did ask King George II if he could relinquish his place in the Greek line of succession in order to become a naturalized British subject. It appears, however, he did not formally relinquish his title or rank as HRH Prince Philip of Greece & Denmark.

Since the use of a foreign title and rank in the UK is subject to the recognition and will of the Sovereign, it would seem he automatically ceased to be known by his birthright title and assumed the surname of Mountbatten instead.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 03-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Warren's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 15,476
In 'Philip' by Basil Boothroyd, it says that Lord Mountbatten was pushing King George VI to have a word with King George II of Greece to "get things moving" in regard to determining Philip's rights of succession. But the Greek King "wasn't too pleased to lose his promising young cousin from the roll of the Royal House". So it would appear that the Greek succession question may never have been (officially) resolved.

As to Philip assuming the surname of Mountbatten, Boothroyd says that he "wasn't madly in favour", as he preferred to be self-sufficient and didn't want to be tied to "the famous uncle". However, there were no acceptable alternatives on offer, and Mountbatten it was, more to Uncle Dickie's pleasure than Philip's.

For a few weeks after Elizabeth became Queen she kept the surname of Mountbatten. But in April 1952 it was declared in Council that she, her children and descendants, except for females who married, should be called Windsor. It was a change that George VI had put in motion before he died. Philip suggested "Family of Windsor of the House of Edinburgh" but that didn't appeal to anyone else. It was only by a Declaration in Council in 1960 that certain descandants of the Queen should be Mountbatten-Windsor.

Regarding the automatic British nationality of Philip, Burke's Royal Families of the World Vol 1 covers the court case launched by Prince Ernst August of Hanover in some detail. The House of Lords acting as a Court of Appeal determined the issue in EA's favour in 1956 (nine years after Philip and Elizabeth's marriage). This involved the cross-interpretations of the 1705 "Act for the naturalisation of the Most Excellent Sophia, Electress and Duchess Dowager of Hanover, and the issue of her body" and the the British Nationality Act of 1948.
__________________
Seeking information? Check out the extensive Royal A-Z
Reply With Quote
  #151  
Old 03-04-2006, 01:05 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idriel
I wasn't saying that he used this act to become British subject, I was saying that he was British from day one, because this act is automatic. You don't have to ask for the British citizenship. If you fulfil the conditions, you automatically are.
Both the British government and Philip himself were unaware of that fact so he was naturalised through the usual process, even through that was not necessary.
I wonder if, would that fact been known at the time, Philip would have still been met by xenophobia and would have stop using his Greek title.

I had never considered that. Can someone bring more details
Well it appears that law was in effect for over 200 years without anyone ever using it until Ernst August of Hanover challenged the British courts after which the law was amended. So I agree it is possible that Prince Philip had certain rights under the act that he failed to execute when he became a British subject but if he failed to execute them, I think, for all practical purposes of his becoming a British subject it was as if he didn't have them.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #152  
Old 03-04-2006, 01:38 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg

Since the use of a foreign title and rank in the UK is subject to the recognition and will of the Sovereign, it would seem he automatically ceased to be known by his birthright title and assumed the surname of Mountbatten instead.
The Sovereign seems to have full discretion over their own styles and titles but according to heralica.com the Privy Council and sometimes Parliament is involved in other matters concerning to styles and rank.

I wasn't able to find anything concerning foreign titles in particular but I would imagine the Sovereign would have to gain the consent of the Prime Minister at least to grant permission for a British subject to use a foreign title.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 03-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
For foreign nationals who are not members of the British royal family, the Sovereign would have to consult with the Prime Minister in order to grant recognition to ensure there are no diplomatic issues.

In the case of Princess Marina, there was no issue and George V, George VI and Elizabeth II all permitted her to retain her rank and style as Princess of Greece & Denmark.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 03-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren
In 'Philip' by Basil Boothroyd, it says that Lord Mountbatten was pushing King George VI to have a word with King George II of Greece to "get things moving" in regard to determining Philip's rights of succession. But the Greek King "wasn't too pleased to lose his promising young cousin from the roll of the Royal House". So it would appear that the Greek succession question may never have been (officially) resolved.
Again, according to Vickers biography of Princess Andrew, George II of the Hellenes informed George VI he would allow Philip to renounce his right of succession to the Greek throne. There was never any discussion between the two Sovereigns as to whether Philip would relinquish his title and rank as HRH Prince of Greece & Denmark, so it appears he never did.

Becoming a British subject and assuming the name of Lt. Philip Mountbatten took care of the issue for him under British common law. He then was legally a commoner until George VI created him HRH The Duke of Edinburgh the night before his wedding to The Princess Elizabeth.
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 03-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Key West, United States
Posts: 3
British royals using titles lower than their princely ranks

I believe that Sophie Wessex is in fact a princess but uses her husband's title instead of princess, just like Sarah Ferguson was and is always called the Duchess of York and not Princess Sarah.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 03-04-2006, 09:08 PM
HighGoalHighDreams's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Unspecified, United States
Posts: 200
In fact, the only thing that entitles one to use the title of Prince/ Princess Myname is being born into that title. Otherwise, for a woman it must be Princess Husband (Princess Michael) or else what we are used to seeing: Sarah, The Duchess of York (while married).

So, Princess Beatrice is such because she was born a Princess.

But Diana could never (correctly) be called Princess Diana because she was not born a Princess. She was therefore Diana, The Princess of Wales (while married). Nothing but birth entitles the use of Princess Myname.

(Editd to add: More in line with the exact comments in Plseyw: When a woman marries into royalty, she does marry into all of her husbands titles. So, yes, Sarah was a Princess, Princess Andrew. This is also shown in how Camilla chooses to use Duchess rather than Princess, even though upon marriage she automatically had the right to use the other titles (which she still legally has)- The Princess of Wales, The Duchess of Rothsay, etc.) Welcome, Psleyw: We both joined last summer and it's both our first day of posting!)

Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 03-05-2006, 10:50 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Upon marriage to a son or grandson of the Sovereign, a woman becomes a princess of the UK with the rank of Royal Highness ("HRH The Princess Andrew"). As a matter of form, they are styled after their husband's peerage, rather than Princess Husband Name, although that is part of their full titles as well.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 03-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by plseyw
I believe that Sophie Wessex is in fact a princess but uses her husband's title instead of princess, just like Sarah Ferguson was and is always called the Duchess of York and not Princess Sarah.
Sophie is "HRH The Princess Edward" legally, but does not use this style as her title since Prince Edward was granted peerages by The Queen the morning of his wedding. She is HRH The Countess of Wessex.
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,390
On titles, I have a couple of questions.

The title of prince or princess, when were the younger members of the royal family first officially referred to as princes and princesses?

I do know the title of Princess Royal was first brought over by Henrietta Maria of France, consort of Charles I who wanted her eldest daughter to have a title similiar to the Princesse Royale in the French court.

I also read that George I was the first to create his younger sons and daughters princes and princesses because it was a common practice on the Continent but not in Britain. Before George I, only the Prince of Wales and the Princess Royal were considered prince and princess. The younger siblings were called Lord or Lady. But the title of prince and princess seems to have been used before then, especially for the daughters of Henry VIII who were alternatively princesses or Ladies depending on the political situation.

There's also the title of Queen. Anybody that has studied the history of the English language knows that Queen is derived from 'cwen' an old word that just meant woman. In earlier medieval manuscripts, English does not seem to have a special title for the consort of a King. The women were referred to as the Lady Elinor (Eleanor of Aquitaine) or Lady Isabel (consort of Edward II) But by the time of Henry VIII, the title of Queen seems to be firmly in place.

Who was the first Queen Consort to be recognized as 'Queen' in the English language?
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 03-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,736
The use of Prince and Princess was a German practice brought over by the Hanoverians to Great Britain. Before that, they were simply peers or Lord/Lady. Same thing with Queen Consort.

I believe Caroline of Ansbach, consort to George II, was the first to be formally known and styled as HM Queen Caroline and addressed as Her Majesty.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children Aussie Princess Prince Harry and Prince William 1115 01-14-2015 03:50 PM
Questions About [non-British] Styles and Titles Lord Sosnowitz Royal Ceremony and Protocol 729 10-09-2014 04:24 PM
Diana's Styles and Titles florawindsor Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 573 11-14-2013 11:59 AM
Styles and Titles Nahla10 Ruling Family of Dubai 36 08-08-2013 12:05 PM
Abdication Beatrix and Inauguration WA: Titles, Names, Succession, Precedence Princess Robijn King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima and family 67 05-24-2013 03:14 PM




Popular Tags
abdication belgium brussels carl philip charlene crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death fashion fashion poll germany grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander letizia luxembourg nobility official visit ottoman poland president hollande president komorowski prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince daniel prince floris prince henrik princess aimee princess alexia (2005 -) princess ariane princess astrid princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess madeleine princess mary princess mette-marit princess of asturias queen fabiola queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia royal royal fashion sofia hellqvist spain state visit stockholm sweden the hague visit wedding willem-alexander



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]