The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2012, 08:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
So before the 1917 LP, the Earls of Ulster and St Andrews would have been styled as highness? HH the Earl of Ulster etc?
More likely they would have been styled like HH Prince Alastair of Connaught who after 1917 became known as the Earl of MacDuff before succeeding his grandfather as 2nd Duke of Connaught.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Will the dukedoms of Gloucester and Kent continue to be royal dukedoms when the current holders pass away?
I understand the Earl of Ulster and the Earl of St Andrews are not royal highnesses and was wondering does this impact the dukedoms.

It will have very limited impact on the dukedoms.

All that will happen is that instead of the titleholder being called HRH The Duke of Gloucestor or HRH The Duke of Kent they will be His Grace The Duke of Gloucester or His Grace The Duke of Kent.

The titles will continue to descend in the same was as other titles with the same remainders - i.e. through the male lines only and the descendents will remain in the line of succession, unless barred for other reasons.

In time the same thing will happen with the Edinburgh title, when it reaches James, he will be His Grace The Duke of Edinburgh (and yes I know about his rights under the 1917 LPs but I don't think he will ever take up that option as I expect by the time he is 18 he will probably be lower than 15th in the line of succession - that means that William, Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie each have 1/2 children by then and we are talking 12 years from now).

Old 09-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Will the dukedoms of Gloucester and Kent continue to be royal dukedoms when the current holders pass away?
I understand the Earl of Ulster and the Earl of St Andrews are not royal highnesses and was wondering does this impact the dukedoms.
They will become regular dukedoms. If all the heirs of either dukedom passed away, the dukedoms could become royal again if they were re-issed to a future prince. A dukedom is royal when it is held by a royal.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:38 PM
Serene Highness

In Canada the Duke of Cambridge is formally and legally styled, The most High, most Mighty, and Illustrious Prince William HRH the Duke of Cambridge, Earl of Strathearn, Baron Carrickfergus, Royal Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thisle

This being the case, What would Catherine's female style equivalent be in Canada?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I assume the same as her British title Her Royal Highness Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus. Possibly with the edition of the High, Mighty and Illustrious.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Serene Highness

According to the Clerk of the Queen's Privy Council in Canada, all Dukes of the Royal Blood are entitled to the style , 'The Most High, Most Mighty, and Illustrious Prince' in addition to their other styles and titles. At least in Canada
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Majesty

I think that you will find that those terms actually are the full official lists but they are rarely if ever used. The only time I can think of them being used is at a person's funeral e.g. This is the full list for the Queen Mum read at her funeral and again those other terms appear:

"Thus it hath pleased Almighty God to take out of this transitory life unto His Divine Mercy the late Most High, Most Mighty and Most Excellent Princess Elizabeth, Queen Dowager and Queen Mother, Lady of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Lady of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Lady of the Imperial Order of the Crown of India, Grand Master and Dame Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order upon whom had been conferred the Royal Victorian Chain, Dame Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Dame Grand Cross of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem, Relict of His Majesty King George the Sixth and Mother of Her Most Excellent Majesty Elizabeth The Second by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, Sovereign of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, whom may God preserve and bless with long life, health and honour and all worldly happiness."[1]

List of titles and honours of Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even the full name of the orders was read out - mostly we say KG means Knight of the Garter but in full it means Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone have an opinion on when the Duke of Cambridge will be invested as a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath. William is a Royal Duke, A Royal Knight Companion of the most Noble Order of the Garter. A Knight of the Most Ancient and most Noble of the Thistle

Since the Order of the Bath is the third highest order of chivalry, would it make sense for William to be invested over Christmas?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

There really is no reason for him to get it. Charles has it because he is Grand Master of the Order. No one else in the family currently has the GCB.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM
Serene Highness

As usual you make sense. In your opinion, are there any other orders the Duke of Cambridge will receive during HM reign?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Well he is already KG and KT the 2 highest orders of knighthood. I really cannot see him receiving anymore unless he were to become Grand Master of one of the other orders at some future date.
Philip is Grand Master of the Order of the British Empire
Charles is Grand Master of the Order of the Bath
Anne is Grand Master of the Royal Victorian Order
The Duke of Kent is Grand Master of the Order of St Michael and St George
The Duke of Gloucester is Grand Prior of the Order of St John of Jerusalem
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well he is already KG and KT the 2 highest orders of knighthood. I really cannot see him receiving anymore unless he were to become Grand Master of one of the other orders at some future date.
Philip is Grand Master of the Order of the British Empire
Charles is Grand Master of the Order of the Bath
Anne is Grand Master of the Royal Victorian Order
The Duke of Kent is Grand Master of the Order of St Michael and St George
The Duke of Gloucester is Grand Prior of the Order of St John of Jerusalem
Thanks for the information NGalitzine
Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 PM
Majesty

I'm thinking that William will be intested with the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath. William is a member of the Order of the Garter, Thistle and the next will most likely be Order of the Bath.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Majesty

Or it could be Order of St Michael and St George, Order of the British Empire, Royal Victorian Order, etc. William will have so many Orders coming his way, especially foreign Royal Orders. Of course Catherine will be given Orders too at some point.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Well someday he will become sovereign of all the orders, but his grandmother has already been quite generous to him as it is and usually she has been quite restrained in decorating her relatives (at least until they have demonstrated their service to the crown for a number of years).
Old 10-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Gentry

I don't believe William is able to receive the Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath. In order to receive this honour a person must be an Air Vice Marshal in the RAF. William, as a Flight Lieutenant, isn't eligible for any honours within the Bath, as Companions must hold at least the rank of Squadron Leader in the RAF.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Gentry

I'm surprised William was promoted to a KG & KT so quickly. I mean his uncles had to wait years and years before being conferred into the orders.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHThePrince View Post
I'm surprised William was promoted to a KG & KT so quickly. I mean his uncles had to wait years and years before being conferred into the orders.
He is in direct line of succession to the throne after all. And, the last time we had a long-reigning Queen, and an older Prince of Wales, his son was conferred into the orders at similar ages (George V, of course).
Old 10-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Majesty

George V was given the Garter aged 21 and his older brother - who was then the 2nd in line to the throne - was given it at 19. The present Queen has been much slower in giving these awards to her sons then was Victoria who had all of her sons invested before they were out of their 20s with Leopold being the oldest at 25 while the older two younger sons were in their teens and of course Edward VII automatically one when he was created Prince of Wales.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:23 AM
Gentry

So is it fair to say that the Duke of York & the Earl of Wessex will more than likely not be installed as Knights of the Thistle until the reign of their brother Prince Charles? The Queen has reigned for 60 years now, Charles's accession as king I'm sure will be soon. I mean Prince Edward is 48 yrs old, Andrew 52. I may be wrong but I believe these honors are long overdue. Neither the Dukes of Kent & Gloucester have received the order.

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles