The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

My prediction is Harry's children will not be prince/princess of the UK, provided William has married and has children of his own. Once William has an heir, the likelihood of Harry's children succeeding becomes very small.

I think it is inevitable new letters patent will be issued to replace the 1917 Letters Patent of George V, perhaps after Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice marry. The rank of Royal Highness and titular dignity of prince/princess of the UK will very likely be restricted in the future to the children of the sovereign and the children of the Prince of Wales.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Courtier

Do you guys think in the future maybe will be a chance for equality for men and women in tittle stuff?

I never lose my hopes :p

Old 01-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

it could happen :)
Old 01-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Gentry

You know how the son of the Prince of Wales is given the title prince, what if William had a son tommorow? Would he be given the title of Prince too or would he recieve some other title until William becomes the Prince of Wales?
-Russian Proverb
Old 01-19-2006, 01:31 PM

Well, he would become a Prince but he wouldn't get a Dukedom etc until he was much older. But he'd be illegitimate so he'd be out of running for the throne.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, just as things were changed and clarified in 1948 to allow Charles to become HRH Prince Charles because of the unforseen consequence of the heir (Princess Elizabeth) being female, which wasn't allowed for in the Letters Patent of 1917, I expect they'd be changed again to cover the eventuality of a great grandson of the monarch in the eldest-son line.

This web page lists the Letters Patent that have been issued over the last few decades (the links are to pdf files). It's a fairly handy resource.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/societies/cuhags/info/proclp-w.htm
Old 01-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

The eldest son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales is automatically a Royal Highness and Prince of the UK under the 1917 Letters Patent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhinala
You know how the son of the Prince of Wales is given the title prince, what if William had a son tommorow? Would he be given the title of Prince too or would he recieve some other title until William becomes the Prince of Wales?
He would be HRH Prince X under George V's Letters Patent.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula**
Do you guys think in the future maybe will be a chance for equality for men and women in tittle stuff?

I never lose my hopes :p
There is already equality at some level, but it is generally at the will of the Sovereign as fount of honour. Things would have to be drastically changed in common law to allow for equal inheritance of titular dignities and peerages.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:15 AM

There are lots of possibilities and we will only fond out on the morning of their weddings!

God Save The Queen!

Old 02-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Gentry

I wonder if HM the queen had offered an earldom to prince michael of kent on his wedding day to baroness marie-christine then HRH and his wife would be TRH earl and countess of ????, it would have meant freddie would be a viscount and a new line of titled windsors in the future.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Royal Highness

It still astounds me that these things need to happen.

I know Philip was born a royal prince and had to denounce everything and become a British citizen, but to me he is was still royal and not common, even though the laws or whatever recognized him as such.

Common to me means someone not born into any royal family in any way.

If one uses the arguments then the current heirs to the Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Luxembourg, and Lichtenstein thrones are only half royal.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

No one ever considered Prince Philip to be anything but royal. In fact, he is more royal than The Queen in Teutonic terms since her mother was technically a commoner as Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

By the standards of today's society, the Queen Mother was most certainly a high aristocrat, although not quite as aristocratic as Diana was.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOLEY
I wonder if HM the queen had offered an earldom to prince michael of kent on his wedding day to baroness marie-christine then HRH and his wife would be TRH earl and countess of ????, it would have meant freddie would be a viscount and a new line of titled windsors in the future.
Yes, they would have been styled as TRH Earl and Countess of Whatever, although technically Michael's correct full style would have remained HRH Prince Michael of Kent, The Earl of Whatever.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:38 AM

Not Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
Yes, they would have been styled as TRH Earl and Countess of Whatever, although technically Michael's correct full style would have remained HRH Prince Michael of Kent, The Earl of Whatever.
I think you are mistaken, when a Royal Prince is given a title he uses the title instead of "Prince x" Take for example: The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The Duke of Gloucester and The Duke of Kent. It is not corredt to say HRH The Prince Andrew, Duke of York. The exception is His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, this is because at the time of his marriage he was given the title HRH The Duke of Edinburgh (having renounced his Greek Title of Prince). However in 1957 HM The Queen granted Him the title of The Prince Philip and this title was added before the Duke of Edinburgh part.

God Save The Queen!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol
I think you are mistaken, when a Royal Prince is given a title he uses the title instead of "Prince x" Take for example: The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The Duke of Gloucester and The Duke of Kent. It is not corredt to say HRH The Prince Andrew, Duke of York. The exception is His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, this is because at the time of his marriage he was given the title HRH The Duke of Edinburgh (having renounced his Greek Title of Prince). However in 1957 HM The Queen granted Him the title of The Prince Philip and this title was added before the Duke of Edinburgh part.
This isn't true, they are styled, HRH The Duke of York, HRH The Earl of Wessex, but their official titles are HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York & HRH The Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex
Old 03-01-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn
This isn't true, they are styled, HRH The Duke of York, HRH The Earl of Wessex, but their official titles are HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York & HRH The Prince Edward, The Earl of Wessex
I enquired with Buckingham Palace how to officially style Their Royal Highnesses and the form which I posted earlier was indeed correct, They said only their friends used the "prince x" form and officially the Dukedoms granted by the Queen should be used.

God Save The Queen!

Old 03-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

The correct form of address is HRH The Duke of York because royal princes are styled by their peerage. However, Andrew's full legal title remains HRH The Prince Andrew, The Duke of York.

As a son of the sovereign, he is automatically HRH and Prince of the UK as his birthright. Peerages are granted at the will of the Sovereign.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol
The exception is His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, this is because at the time of his marriage he was given the title HRH The Duke of Edinburgh (having renounced his Greek Title of Prince). However in 1957 HM The Queen granted Him the title of The Prince Philip and this title was added before the Duke of Edinburgh part.
That is incorrect. Philip is generally styled by his full titles because he was granted precedence before all of the princes of the blood royal and next to HM The Queen when granted the titular dignity in 1957 by Parliament.

As a matter of form, he is also addressed by his peerage as HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, the same as his sons and other princes of the blood royal.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg
No one ever considered Prince Philip to be anything but royal. In fact, he is more royal than The Queen in Teutonic terms since her mother was technically a commoner as Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon.

By the standards of today's society, the Queen Mother was most certainly a high aristocrat, although not quite as aristocratic as Diana was.
I don't think it matters whether it is today or yesterday..

Both the Queen Mother and Diana came from aristocratic backgrounds.

As for Philip, I agree, he was, is, and will always be royal. But, when he became a naturalized citizen and married the then Princess Elizabeth, the new letters of patent had to be written up so their children would not be born into commoner status taking the precedence of peer's title only without the HRH.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:35 PM

Most of the Royal spouses come from aristocratic backgrounds. Angus Ogilvy was the son of an Earl, Camilla has extremely Royal ancestry, the Duchess of Kent does too, Princess Michael oozes Royal connections - so I don't think the commoner/Royal thing comes into it much.

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles