The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-26-2011, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well actually, it is his decision to go with tradition. He is the King, we don't know what will happen between now and the day in question, so William may outcast Camilla, he may name her The Dowager Queen - he can do what he like as Fount of Honour.
But it's up to him what Camilla's title is, as she isn't The Queen Mother, she will no longer be The Duchess of Cornwall or Princess of Wales. So William will have to deal with the title situation should this arise, whether he choose to follow tradition (which is what by the way?) or give Camilla a title of her own.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Administrator

If Camilla outlives Charles before he becomes King, I would imagine that she would become The Dowager Duchess of Cornwall (Princess of Wales) or Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall. I can't imagine anyone using the titled Dowager when talking to her. What are current non royal duchesses called when their husbands die, and their is a new Duke and/or Duchess. It should be the same.

If Camilla outlives Charles when he becomes King, she will be whatever title she takes when she was his Wife (Princess Consort or Queen Camilla).

I can't imagine William changing anything in that respect.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Nobility

A previous post states that Catherine is in reality a Princess of the United Kingdom by right of marriage to Prince William. I may be wrong, but I think William is a Prince "of Wales" i.e., Prince William of Wales, rather than a prince of the United Kingdom, so Catherine, if she is legally a princess by marriage, would also be "of Wales?" It is my understanding that when Charles becomes king, his sons will become, technically, princes of the United Kingdom, and William will also become Prince of Wales and Catherine will become Princess of Wales, but not "Princess Catherine." The Princess Royal is a princess of the United Kingdom, as was Princess Margaret, by the fact that she was daughter of the King. Will someone please let me know if this is incorrect?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:23 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'm not sure at this so i'm going to give it a go, Catherine is known as officially Her Royal Highness Princess William Arthur Philip Louis, Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn, Baroness Carrickfergus.
They are Princes of the entire UK, but due to their fathers title their 'surname' in effect is Wales. Just like with the York girls, but their not confined to being just Princess' of York. If William hadn't have been given a dukedom, Catherine would have been Princess William of Wales simply known as Catherine. But seeing as they have, Cambridge has become their 'surname'. If you get me?

Margaret and Anne were Princess' in their own right as they are/were daughters of the sovereigns.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Majesty

William ceased to be 'of Wales' when he became Duke of Cambridge. The 'of Wales' designation was to indicate which peer is his father but now he is a peer in his own right so the 'of Wales' with regard to William has now ended.

If Camilla outlives Charles she will remain with the feminine form of of whatever title Charles was having at the time. As she wouldn't be holding it in her own right but only through marriage she would, like any other wife, continue to do so.

If William decided to say that she couldn't do so it would be showing him in a very poor light - as a vindictive, nasty piece of work. Whether he is that way we don't know but so far we haven't had any reports to suggest that he has that sort of streak in him - but he might.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 PM
Aristocracy

I doubt that William will be mean like that at all. I think they all get along well and I think Diana would have wanted it that way. I also would like to thank you all in understanding this issue. I guess we will truly know what will happen when it does.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:51 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd like to think William has too much integrity of character to deny his stepmother the respect due her as his father's wife, no matter what may transpire. There are so many variables to a hypothetical situation that the only thing we can trust will happen is that William would make the right decision if and when any such issue should arise.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Aristocracy

Do you all see that during a Charles reign that his stepchildren will get titles of there on. I see that if their mom is the wife of a king her children should have a title of their own.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAster View Post
Do you all see that during a Charles reign that his stepchildren will get titles of there on. I see that if their mom is the wife of a king her children should have a title of their own.
This goes with the house thing, as Tom and Laura are not royalty, married to royalty or related in any blood way to royalty they do not deserve nor need titles when their mother becomes Queen. They are Camilla and Andrew's children, not Charles and Camilla's.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:

I don't think that will happen at all. They will be the King's stepchildren and then the next King after that's step-siblings but that is no reason for them to get titles.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Let's say Charles makes Camilla a Princess of the UK and during his reign and she is Princess Camillia, The Princess Consort during this time. Since Charledhas not been given a title like William has in his own right what will Camillia be know as if Charles passes before she does. The basic could be Princess Camellia, Princess of the United Kingdom. Any suggestions.
Camilla cannot be created a Princess of the UK once Charles is King because in law and by succession of title, she would be "HM The Queen" automatically as the wife of The Sovereign. She can only hold whatever title her husband has as she has no titles in her own right.

If Parliament agrees to pass legislation stating Camilla will not be Queen Consort (with the Crown Commonwealth also granting their consent), Charles can then issue Letters Patent creating Camilla a Princess in her own right. At that point, she has her own title and rank for her lifetime.

It's very unlikely, however, this will actually happen. I fully expect Camilla will become Queen when the time comes.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Aristocracy

Thanks for that it makes since. Just curious will with the change that allows a women to be queen if she has a husband will he be her King like a wife would be his queen.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
This goes with the house thing, as Tom and Laura are not royalty, married to royalty or related in any blood way to royalty they do not deserve nor need titles when their mother becomes Queen. They are Camilla and Andrew's children, not Charles and Camilla's.
Agreed. If Tom and Laura were young kids being raised in the King's household with his other blood children, I can see it being a possibility once they came of age.

They are adults with their own independent lives and no desire to become a member of the royal family. Nor is there a reason for them to be considered as such, other than informally.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thanks for that it makes since. Just curious will with the change that allows a women to be queen if she has a husband will he be her King like a wife would be his queen.
No, because technically, the title of King outranks the title of Queen. So, Prince Albert and Prince Philip, being consorts of reigning Queens, were limited to being Princes of the UK and/or Dukes of the Realm.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Heir Apparent

To be entitled king one must inherit the title in his own right, not as spouse of a reigning queen. As Branchg states, a king outranks a queen, unless she is a queen regnant who rules in her own right. Otherwise she will be a queen consort, the spouse of a king. However, when Philip of Spain married Mary Tudor, he did become king of England only to have the title during her lifetime. But as we've seen in later times, Prince Albert was the Prince Consort to Queen Victoria and Prince Philip has remained in his title, as well as Duke of Edinburgh, to Queen Elizabeth.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Aristocracy

But with the new laws that allow the Monarch to be the first born will that not change that.So if that is a woman will she not out rank the men so then the King title out ranking the Queen will be gone to correct.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't see how anything would change with the new laws, other than if a female is first born she'll be queen. There can't be a king if a woman has inherited the throne, and therefore her spouse will be a prince, duke or whatever title he already has or is bestowed by the queen.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:

A woman can already be Queen. The only change is to allow first born child, regardless of gender, to ascend the throne.

As we have had a number of Queens' Regnant with consorts who weren't Kings there is no reason to assume that a future Queen Regnant would be any different.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 PM
Aristocracy

I have a question about the future titles of the children of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
When the Duke and Duchess will become Prince and Princess of Wales one day, will their childrens' titles also change?
For example:
The couple will have 3 daughters:

H.R.H. Princess Victoria of Cambridge
H.R.H. Princess Alexandra of Cambridge
H.R.H. Princess Caroline of Cambridge

When their parents will become Prince and Princess of Wales, will they then become:

H.R.H. Princess Victoria of Wales
H.R.H. Princess Alexandra of Wales
H.R.H. Princess Caroline of Wales

Or will they keep their Cambridge titles?
Maybe someone asked this question before in this thread. If so, I do apologize.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Heir Apparent

If they follow the 1917 Letters Patent, while QE2 is on the throne the eldest son would be HRH Prince X of Cambridge. Other children would be Lord Y Mountbatten Windsor or Lady Z Mountbatten Windsor. When Charles comes to the throne they would be HRH Prince Y or Princess Z of Cornwall and Cambridge and then probably HRH Prince Y or Princess Z of Wales at a later date.
William automatically becomes Duke of Cornwall the moment his father succeeds to the throne but would need to be created Prince of Wales by his father.

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles