The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
Queen would also be a Princess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duchess in Saxony, Princess of Greece and Denmark. Imagine: by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith, Princess of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Duchess in Saxony, Princess of Greece and Denmark, Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy...
With the title of Princess of Greece and denmark she would also be until 1972 princess of Schleswig, Holstein, Stormarn, Dithmarschen, Lauenburg and Oldenburg...

Old 12-29-2010, 04:34 AM
Commoner

If Charles had died while he and Diana were still married what would her title have become?
I believe I read once that there are two title options she could have used Her Royal Highness The Dowager Princess of Wales or Her Royal Highness Diana, Princess of Wales.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHomeNC View Post
If Charles had died while he and Diana were still married what would her title have become?
I believe I read once that there are two title options she could have used Her Royal Highness The Dowager Princess of Wales or Her Royal Highness Diana, Princess of Wales.
Had Charles died while they were married she would have been HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales once someone else was given the title HRH The Princess of Wales but until then she would have remained simply as HRH The Princess of Wales.

The use of Diana wasn't a option as that applies to a divorced woman not a married one.

She would still have been wrongly called Princess Diana - as she was after the divorce.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Commoner

OK, back with another question. For the children of Princess Margaret, what exactly are their titles? I know their father is "The Rt Hon. The Earl of Snowdon".
Old 12-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Margaret's son David is Viscount Linley. Her daughter is Lady Sarah Chatto.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:42 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Had Charles died while they were married she would have been HRH The Dowager Princess of Wales once someone else was given the title HRH The Princess of Wales but until then she would have remained simply as HRH The Princess of Wales.

The use of Diana wasn't a option as that applies to a divorced woman not a married one.

She would still have been wrongly called Princess Diana - as she was after the divorce.
Didn't that change? I seem to have heard that a lot of widows of the peerage prefer the title of First name, former title without the "The". And the Dowager title is only for the mother of the next holder of the title, not for a second wife?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Didn't that change? I seem to have heard that a lot of widows of the peerage prefer the title of First name, former title without the "The". And the Dowager title is only for the mother of the next holder of the title, not for a second wife?

First name, title without the The is the form of a divorced wife ala Diana, Princess of Wales, Sarah, Duchess of York.

The 'The' indicates that they are either the current wife of the titleholder of the widowed wife.

Dowager is for the wife of the titleholder, although normally that would be the mother of the next titleholder that is not necessarily the case. Dowager simply indicates the widow while there is another holding the title. If it was only for the mother of the next titleholder than there could be two people entitled to The Duchess of xxxx.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkrcwi View Post
Princess Margaret's son David is Viscount Linley. Her daughter is Lady Sarah Chatto.
I know that much, but I guess I was wondering what their style is... like "The Rt Hon." or "The Honorable".
Old 12-30-2010, 04:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHomeNC View Post
I know that much, but I guess I was wondering what their style is... like "The Rt Hon." or "The Honorable".

Neither.

David is Viscount Linley or Lord Linley - Lord as the son of an earl which is higher than Honourable or Rt Honourable. Viscount Linley as Viscount is the second title of the Earl of Snowdon.

His children are Honourable as there is no third title for the Snowdon title for young Charles to use. When David becomes The Earl Snowdon then Charles will become Viscount Linley.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

The changements made by George V

As I've understood George V applied such a royal law in order not to be many princes.For example,the title of Prince Michael of Kent is not hereditary.My question is:could the future kings(Charles or William) change this preview?
Old 12-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Neither.

David is Viscount Linley or Lord Linley - Lord as the son of an earl which is higher than Honourable or Rt Honourable. Viscount Linley as Viscount is the second title of the Earl of Snowdon.

His children are Honourable as there is no third title for the Snowdon title for young Charles to use. When David becomes The Earl Snowdon then Charles will become Viscount Linley.
When David inherits the title from his father, he will become The Right Honourable The Earl of Snowdon.

Dukes are The Most Noble The Duke of..
The eldest son and heir of a duke is given one of his father's lesser titles as a courtesy; his younger sons and all his daughters are given the title Lord or Lady, followed by their first and last names.

Marquesses are The Most Honourable The Marquess of..
Same as for dukes.

Earls, Viscounts and Barons are The Right Honourable The Earl of.. The Right Honourable The Viscount.. The Right Honourable The Baron (or The Lord)..
The eldest son and heir of an earl or viscount is given one of his father's lesser titles as a courtesy, if one exists; his younger sons are given the title The Honourable. Daughters of earls are given the title Lady, while daughters of viscounts and all the children of barons are given the title The Honourable.

Likewise, there are others who may hold the honorific of The Right Honourable.. these include all members of the Privy Council of the United Kingdom and the Privy Council of Northern Ireland, and the Prime Ministers of the United Kingdom, Canada and New Zealand. The appointment of Australians to the Privy Council was abolished in 1986, so the Prime Minister of Australia does not hold the honorific.

However, these honorifics are usually only applied when addressing envelopes and on official documents.. they are not in general usage when addressing people in person, either formally or informally.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora View Post
As I've understood George V applied such a royal law in order not to be many princes.For example,the title of Prince Michael of Kent is not hereditary.My question is:could the future kings(Charles or William) change this preview?
Technically I suppose they could.. but this a very remote possibility and is unlikely to ever happen. I don't think the British people or the Commonwealth would take kindly to an expansion of the royal family..
Old 01-05-2011, 01:02 AM
Commoner

When Beatrice and Eugenie marry will they gain titles such as HRH Princess Eugenie, Duchess/Countess of ..... and then the husband would take a title.....and be HRH. If they did that then the husbands would seem higher than there wives.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Only if the husband was given a title, such as Anthony Armstrong-Jones received the title Earl of Snowdon when he married HRH The Princess Margaret. That meant that their children received the titles of Viscount Linley and Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones but not the HRH. The name "Lady" is the courtesy title of the daughter of an Earl. Husbands who marry princess of the British Royal Family don't become Royal Highnesses, although women marrying British princes do...as any woman takes her husband's style under English common law. HRH The Princess Anne married Capt. Mark Phillips and was known as HRH The Princess Anne Mrs. Mark Phillips. Now of course she's known as HRH The Princess Royal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam20045 View Post
When Beatrice and Eugenie marry will they gain titles such as HRH Princess Eugenie, Duchess/Countess of ..... and then the husband would take a title.....and be HRH. If they did that then the husbands would seem higher than there wives.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Administrator

I don't think this will happen.

I can see Beatrice becoming HRH Princess Beatrice of York, Mrs. David Clark....similiar to her aunt's title during her first marriage. The only way she will become a Duchess, Lady or whatever is if she marries someone who currently holds a title.

I can't see the Queen, or Charles or William giving any husband of Zara, Beatrice, Eugenie or Louise an additional title.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
They won't get any additional titles, and it is unlikely that the husbands of the yorks will recieve their own titles aka Duke or Earl of whereever.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:

No they won't gain any titles - unless tragedy has struck the family and Beatrice is the heiress apparent - e.g. Charles, William, Harry and Andrew are all dead leaving no one to come between Beatrice and the throne. In that case I would expect the husband to get a Dukedom like Philip did but as long as they are simply male-line granddaughters of the monarch no - just like Princess Alexandra's husband wasn't given a title when they married.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Administrator

But in regards to Princess Alexandra of Kent, the Queen offered to title Angus Olgivy and the couple said no.

In the case of Beatrice, Eugenie or even Louise I don't think it will be an option.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk
But in regards to Princess Alexandra of Kent, the Queen offered to title Angus Olgivy and the couple said no.

In the case of Beatrice, Eugenie or even Louise I don't think it will be an option.
Should their husbands be offered and accept a title then they'd take thier husbands title, yes? Othewise would their title be like Princess Alexandra.... i.e. Princess Beatrice, Mrs. Smith .....
Old 01-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Yes, that is correct.

Princess Alexandra of Kent, was HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent, Mrs. Angus Olgivy when she married, and he was granted a title (became a Knight Commander of the Victorian Order in 1988) and became Sir Angus Olgivy than she became HRH Princess Alexandra of Kent, Lady Olgivy. And his title didn't pass on to their son, James.

It should noted that the couple married in 1963 and he didn't get his title until 25 years later based on the support he provided to Princess Alexandra doing her duties and his charity events.

If Princess Beatrice married David Clark she would be HRH Princess Beatrice of York, Mrs. David Clark.

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles