The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Courtier

I was surprised to see Chelsy and Kate seated in the Garter Chapel part of St. George's. The Garter Chapel (where the actual marriage ceremony took place) is very small --- the Royal family sits there and all of the most important guests including the Royals. Shows how important Chelsy and Kate have become.
Kate would not automatically become Princess of Wales if she marries William in the near future. Charles is THE Prince of Wales. Upon his marriage, William
will no doubt be given a ducal title. Kate would probably be: HRH The Duchess of Blahblah (maybe Princess Katherine if the monarch allows the Princess title). But not THE Princess of Wales if Charles is still alive.
When Charles becomes King, the title of the Prince of Wales does not automatically get passed down to William. It is the at the discretion of the
Monarch to award it to the eldest son.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamk View Post
Kate would not automatically become Princess of Wales if she marries William in the near future. Charles is THE Prince of Wales. Upon his marriage, William will no doubt be given a ducal title. Kate would probably be: HRH The Duchess of Blahblah (maybe Princess Katherine if the monarch allows the Princess title). But not THE Princess of Wales if Charles is still alive.
When Charles becomes King, the title of the Prince of Wales does not automatically get passed down to William. It is the at the discretion of the
Monarch to award it to the eldest son.
Catherine would be Princess William of Wales, not the Princess of Wales.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Thank you for the pictures Keira, although I would point out that Catherine will not be the Princess of Wales.
Could you explain how come? Is it some agreement they came to after Diana's death or is it more just like a rule I dunno how to explain it. I'm not really good at figuring who gets what title.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Thank you for the pictures Keira, although I would point out that Catherine will not be the Princess of Wales.
Were you being literal or just mean? Because if Kate were to marry Wills she would eventually become the Princess of Wales. She woudl initially be the Duchess of something (I've heard it was going to be Duke and Duchess of Cambridge for Wills), but when Charles becomes King Wills would become Prince of Wales, making his wife Princess of Wales... Right?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Nobility

If Charles follows British Royal family tradition, William will be the next Prince of Wales once Charles is King. However, it does not appear likely that Harry will be the Duke of York (the title historically given to the second son of the reigning monarch). It is for Charles to decide whether or not to follow tradition once he has the throne. Somehow I think he probably will.

Cat
Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Could you explain how come? Is it some agreement they came to after Diana's death or is it more just like a rule I dunno how to explain it. I'm not really good at figuring who gets what title.
If Kate marries Prince William, she will only become Princess of Wales when Prince Charles ascends the throne and when Prince William is officially made the Prince of Wales.

Right now the real Princess of Wales is Camilla but she preferred to take the secondary title of Duchess of Cornwall (Prince Cahrles is also the Duke of Cornwall) because the members of the public generally still link the title to the late Diana.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSSEAN View Post
If Kate marries Prince William, she will only become Princess of Wales when Prince Charles ascends the throne and when Prince William is officially made the Prince of Wales.

Right now the real Princess of Wales is Camilla but she preferred to take the secondary title of Duchess of Cornwall (Prince Cahrles is also the Duke of Cornwall) because the members of the public generally still link the title to the late Diana.
Ya that's what I thought so then technically she will eventually someday be Princess of Wales. I know it's rightfully Camilla's title but I just can't bring myself to call her that, not cause I don't like her or anything I'm way past that it just sounds weird to me.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Catherine would be Princess William of Wales, not the Princess of Wales.
Wrong. She would be (presuming Wills is created PoW) HRH The Princess of Wales, same as Diana was. Diana was never known as Princess Charles of Wales.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCanada View Post
Wrong. She would be (presuming Wills is created PoW) HRH The Princess of Wales, same as Diana was. Diana was never known as Princess Charles of Wales.
Unless the Queen or Charles die, the title is held by Charles. William cannot be The Prince of Wales while ever HM and Charles are alive. So unless William is going to wait for HM to die before marrying anyone, his wife will be Princess William of Wales.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Unless the Queen or Charles die, the title is held by Charles. William cannot be The Prince of Wales while ever HM and Charles are alive. So unless William is going to wait for HM to die before marrying anyone, his wife will be Princess William of Wales.
Please to be noting the part where I said (bolded for emphasis):
Quote:
She would be (presuming Wills is created PoW) HRH The Princess of Wales
That sort of presupposes HM's (hopefully far-away) death and Charles' accession.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Presuming they marry within the year and not in the far distant future her name will be Princess William of Wales! William may not be made The Prince of Wales at all, there is no guarantee.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Aristocracy

When a commoner bride marries a prince,she takes his title and given name. Kate'a proper title would be HRH Princess William of Wales.But people and the media would not call her by her proper title;they'd probably call her "Princess Kate"since they are not overly concerned with proper titles. She'd become the Princess of Wales when Charles ascends the throne and William,as heir apparent would assume the titles of Prince of Wales Duke of Cornwall, Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick and Baron Renfrew, Lord of the Isles, and Prince and Great Steward of Scotland. Will William also have an investiture service after his father becomes king...does he need the investiture ceremony to formally adopt these titles?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Taking into consideration that the Welsh want devolution, they may successfully object to William being made a Prince of Wales if and when the time comes. It is not an automatic title.

The Royal Family > Royal titles > Style and titles of The Prince of Wales
Old 05-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

A person can always hope...
Old 05-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Presuming they marry within the year and not in the far distant future her name will be Princess William of Wales! William may not be made The Prince of Wales at all, there is no guarantee.
*sigh*

Yes. I was talking about one permutation of the situation. And, frankly, once Charles accedes he will almost certainly create Wills PoW, at which point--yes, you guessed it--she will be HRH The Princess of Wales.

The only situation in which it can be guaranteed that she will never become PoW is if Charles predeceases EIIR. The likelihood that he will not create his own son PoW is vanishingly remote.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Yes. I was talking about one permutation of the situation. And, frankly, once Charles accedes he will almost certainly create Wills PoW, at which point--yes, you guessed it--she will be HRH The Princess of Wales.

The only situation in which it can be guaranteed that she will never become PoW is if Charles predeceases EIIR. The likelihood that he will not create his own son PoW is vanishingly remote.
And I was replying to this post originally, which is concerned with the near future, not a dot in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlyKeira View Post
You're welcome everyone, and I completely agree with Ghost Night, I think that these photos are really the first photos that I've seen where I could see Kate and Chelsy being the next Princesses (especially Chelsy). I think they proved themselves this day, and I think that Kate being able to be there by herself (without William) shows that she could do the kind of duties that would be required of the Princess of Wales. She needs to be albe to stand on her own two feet without William...
If and when Charles becomes King, the choice may not be his as to whether he is allowed by the Welsh government or indeed any government to hand out titles. With a vast amount of people who are not at all interested in the monarchy, as I said there can be no guarantee. The title Prince of Wales may die out when Charles becomes King.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Nobility

Titles are the exclusive province of the Monarch. It certainly will be his choice. Whether it's politically expedient or not is another matter.

And I wouldn't really say 'vast' numbers. Republicanism in the UK sits around 18%, if memory served--a number that hasn't changed since 1965 or something.

Quote:
And I was replying to this post originally, which is concerned with the near future, not a dot in the future.
Which really, really doesn't matter. It is overwhelmingly likely that yes, she will be HRH T PoW one day.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The only situation in which it can be guaranteed that she will never become PoW is if Charles predeceases EIIR.
She still could be then. George III was created Prince of Wales by his grandfather after his father (also the Prince of Wales) died.

Quote:
Titles are the exclusive province of the Monarch.
Unless the government of the day advises the monarch otherwise. (Though I would think it would have to come from the PM, not anyone in the Welsh government, at least not under the current arrangement; the First Minister of Wales is only qualified to offer official advice to the monarch on devolved matters.)

Quote:
And I wouldn't really say 'vast' numbers. Republicanism in the UK sits around 18%, if memory served--a number that hasn't changed since 1965 or something.
18% of the population of the UK is a pretty vast number. (Not saying others aren't more vast, though.)
Old 05-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Heir Apparent

It is very likely that the Queen will give a title (most likely that of a Duke) to Prince William upon his marriage, so whoever marries William, probably is going to be known as X, The Duchess of Y anyway.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 05-31-2008, 05:14 PM

Not quite. She'll be HRH The Duchess of Y.

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles