The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #441  
Old 10-22-2007, 03:36 PM
selrahc4's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
I understand she doesn't own these titles herself and she never needs to use them but I was wondeing if she does have them somewhere? After all before her marriage she was HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh.

Thanks for the other answers by the way.
Yes, she still has those titles. I'll let her official website explain:
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1925.asp

(my bolding)
Quote:
Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, RN, as he had been known in the marriage announcement, became a Royal Highness, and, in ascending order, Baron Greenwich, Earl of Merioneth and Duke of Edinburgh. His future wife would be known as Her Royal Highness The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh. The couple were often referred to as the Edinburghs up to the death of King George VI in February 1952.
The Queen still holds the title, but it is no longer used.
__________________

__________________
aka Janet on some other forums
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 10-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Despodov's Avatar
Commoner
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: SF, Bulgaria
Posts: 11
Hello,
What is the title of female royal, who is married of male royal, who is and a heir apparent of the thoren, but he died and their child now is the heir?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 9,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despodov View Post
Hello,
What is the title of female royal, who is married of male royal, who is and a heir apparent of the thoren, but he died and their child now is the heir?
The best answer to that would be George III's mother who was in exactly that position.

Her title, after the death of her husband, Frederick Prince of Wales, was Dowager Princess of Wales.

George III inherited his father's title of Duke of Edinburgh and was created Prince of Wales (NB he was never Duke of Cornwall as he wasn't the eldest son of the monarch).

The wife of the heir to the throne, in the situation you described, would be titled in the same way as any other wife of a peer of the realm.
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Kat Kat is offline
Commoner
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arima, Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Her Majesty , Elizabeth Alexandra Mary Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Schweslig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg , Queen of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland and Empress of India, Queen of Canada, Queen of Australia, Queen of New Zealand, Queen of Jamaica, Queen of Barbados, Queen of the Bahamas, Queen of Grenada, Queen of Papua New Guinea, Queen of the Solomon Islands, Queen of Tuvalu, Queen of St. Lucia, Queen of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Queen of Antigua and Barbuda, Queen of St. Kitts and Nevis & Queen of Belize, Queen of Ghana, Queen of Nigeria, Queen of Sierra Leone, Queen of Tanganyika, Queen of Uganda, Queen of Kenya, Queen of Malawi, Queen of Mauritius, Queen of South Africa, Queen of The Gambia, Queen of Rodhesia, Queen of Pakistan, Queen of Ceylon, Queen of Trinidad and Tobago, Queen of Guyana, ...
Just so you know, she is no longer Queen of Trinidad and Tobago. She gave that title up in 1976 (I think it was).
__________________
Luv Kat

"One day my music will unite. Fighting will be no more that's right. One day my people will know love and this war will over. And love will fall upon us ..." ~ from the song 'One Day' by Kees Dieffenthaller
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57 View Post
The best answer to that would be George III's mother who was in exactly that position.

Her title, after the death of her husband, Frederick Prince of Wales, was Dowager Princess of Wales.

George III inherited his father's title of Duke of Edinburgh and was created Prince of Wales (NB he was never Duke of Cornwall as he wasn't the eldest son of the monarch).

The wife of the heir to the throne, in the situation you described, would be titled in the same way as any other wife of a peer of the realm.


This also would have been Catherine of Aragon's title had she not married Henry VIII.
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 10-23-2007, 05:55 PM
jcarroll's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix, United States
Posts: 3
A little Off the Subject

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get a list of line titles used and their salutations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalProtocol View Post
I understand she doesn't own these titles herself and she never needs to use them but I was wondeing if she does have them somewhere? After all before her marriage she was HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh.

Thanks for the other answers by the way.
If she abdicated, she would revert to the style and title of HRH The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh. Since she is The Sovereign, she can only be HM The Queen and nothing else at the present time. The fount of honour cannot be a Peer.
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by zembla View Post
This is a random question but just out of curiosity...if Charles had a son or daughter from another relaitonship besides Diana, like a love child LOL. Would they be given some kind of title? Or would that be looked down upon...
They would not be within the line of succession, so the Letters Patent of 1917 would not apply. As was done many times in the past with George III's sons and successors, The Sovereign could create them Peers if he/she wished.
Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 10-24-2007, 08:33 AM
zembla's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Camden, United States
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by branchg View Post
They would not be within the line of succession, so the Letters Patent of 1917 would not apply. As was done many times in the past with George III's sons and successors, The Sovereign could create them Peers if he/she wished.
What does that mean?
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 10-24-2007, 08:40 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,735
For instance, the child is born John Smith (taking their mother's name), but is actually the child of a Prince of the UK. The Sovereign recognizes John by creating him The Earl of Hampton.
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 11-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Melania's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas, United States
Posts: 102
Question A question or two, maybe someone could answer?

From my understanding, Prince Philip was never crowned consort, instead, he was the first person to pledge his allegiance to the queen...

My question is, why was Prince Philip never crowned consort? I know the Queen has wanted to give him a higher title, like prince of the commonwealth or prince of the realm, but why never consort?

I also have another question, but on a different topic. When the kingdoms of Britain and Hanover were ruled by the same monarch, is that similar to today in the way that QEII rules Great Britain and Australia, Canada, etc.? Is that kind of the same idea... same monarch, different crowns, but united together?

Thanks if you can help answer my questions.
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 11-24-2007, 09:50 PM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania View Post
My question is, why was Prince Philip never crowned consort?
To be "crowned" as such, he would have to be a King, which would have been nearly impossible (even Victoria couldn't pull that one off). Why not consort? I'm not really sure, but I think that had Philip really wanted it, he would have gotten it. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who wants a lot of attention due to titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania View Post
I also have another question, but on a different topic. When the kingdoms of Britain and Hanover were ruled by the same monarch, is that similar to today in the way that QEII rules Great Britain and Australia, Canada, etc.? Is that kind of the same idea... same monarch, different crowns, but united together?
Exactly. It's the same end result, though the evolution was different. (The other Commonwealth realms branched off from the UK, whereas the personal union between Britain and Hanover happened by succession to the various thrones).
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 11-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Australian's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melania View Post
is that similar to today in the way that QEII rules Great Britain and Australia, Canada, etc.?
Just to be picky, the Queen does not rule, she reigns.
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 11-24-2007, 11:27 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Richland Center, United States
Posts: 108
I don't believe the situations of Hanover and Canada/Australia etc. are the same at all. King George I was already Elector of Hanover when he succeeded to the British throne so he became King of both countries. In the case of Canada and other commonwealth countries, I believe Britain colonized those countries so that's how they became part of the realm.
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 11-24-2007, 11:47 PM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkrcwi View Post
I don't believe the situations of Hanover and Canada/Australia etc. are the same at all. King George I was already Elector of Hanover when he succeeded to the British throne so he became King of both countries. In the case of Canada and other commonwealth countries, I believe Britain colonized those countries so that's how they became part of the realm.
How they came to be is quite different, but the legal separation is quite the same now.
Reply With Quote
  #456  
Old 11-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post

Why not consort? I'm not really sure, but I think that had Philip really wanted it, he would have gotten it. He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who wants a lot of attention due to titles.

He was offered the title "Prince Consort" and refused it.
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 AM
coco's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: . . ., Germany
Posts: 218
I have a question.
I think it is true if you marry a prince you have to become a princess. And if your Prince becomes a king, you have no choice, you have to become a queen. And if you marry a queen, it's not possible for you to become a king. And the son of a Prince and a non-princess is a prince and a son of a Princess and a non-prince is no Prince . . . . is everything I said true?
Now my question: is it in some occasions possible to choose if you want to get a title? Maybe for lower titles? So that the parents can choose for a title of their son?
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 11-25-2007, 07:44 AM
magnik's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Posts: 3,680
alt.talk.royalty FAQ: British royalty and nobility

A Glossary of European Noble, Princely, Royal and Imperial Titles
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 11-25-2007, 02:05 PM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
I think it is true if you marry a prince you have to become a princess. And if your Prince becomes a king, you have no choice, you have to become a queen. And if you marry a queen, it's not possible for you to become a king.
Correct. The last thing (marrying and becoming a King) used to be somewhat common in other countries, but only happened once in England, when Mary I's husband (later Philip II of Spain) used the title King Consort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
And the son of a Prince and a non-princess is a prince and a son of a Princess and a non-prince is no Prince . . . . is everything I said true?
It's true under the current letters patent. If the Queen wanted, she could change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco View Post
Now my question: is it in some occasions possible to choose if you want to get a title? Maybe for lower titles? So that the parents can choose for a title of their son?
If it comes simply by being married to someone, you can't choose whether or not you get it (unless you want to choose not to get married), but you certainly can choose whether or not you want to use it.

Parents can choose what their child will be called, but they can't change whether or not they have a title if that comes immediately from inheritance. A good example is Lady Louise. She's technically HRH Princess Louise of Wessex, but her parents have decided that she should be styled as if her father wasn't a son of the Queen.
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: , United States
Posts: 2,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Parents can choose what their child will be called, but they can't change whether or not they have a title if that comes immediately from inheritance. A good example is Lady Louise. She's technically HRH Princess Louise of Wessex, but her parents have decided that she should be styled as if her father wasn't a son of the Queen.
With the consent of the Sovereign only. The 1917 Letters Patent grant the grandchildren of the Sovereign in the male-line the style and rank of HRH Prince/Princess of the UK. Unless The Queen issued a royal warrant or new letters patent, Louise remains a princess legally.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children Aussie Princess Prince Harry and Prince William 1115 01-14-2015 02:50 PM
Questions About [non-British] Styles and Titles Lord Sosnowitz Royal Ceremony and Protocol 729 10-09-2014 04:24 PM
Diana's Styles and Titles florawindsor Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 573 11-14-2013 10:59 AM
Styles and Titles Nahla10 Ruling Family of Dubai 36 08-08-2013 12:05 PM
Abdication Beatrix and Inauguration WA: Titles, Names, Succession, Precedence Princess Robijn King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 67 05-24-2013 03:14 PM




Popular Tags
belgium best outfit birth camilla chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess catharina-amalia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events death denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of cornwall fashion fashion poll felipe vi funeral general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king philippe king willem-alexander letizia maxima nobility official visit photo session picture of the week president gauck president hollande prince carl philip prince charles prince daniel prince of wales princess alexia (2005 -) princess beatrice princess catharina-amalia princess leonore princess madeleine princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mette-marit princess victoria queen elizabeth ii queen fabiola queen letizia queen letizia fashion queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima fashion queen maxima style queen rania queen silvia queen sonja royal fashion sofia hellqvist spanish royals state visit sweden the hague victoria wedding willem-alexander


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2015
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]