The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
The conundrum would be that there is no place where Camilla can get the "princess' to be "known as". She also is The Princess Charles but that reverts to the Crown when Charles becomes King. That's why I believe that if it is the King's will and pleasure that Camilla will be known as "Princess Consort", the solution would be to create her a Princess of the UK in her own right. This is what the Queen, herself did. On 22 February 1957, she granted her husband the style and title of a Prince of the United Kingdom by Letters Patent, and it was gazetted that he was to be known as "His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh". From 1947 to 1957, his title was His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh. No Prince.

In this regards, Charles would be actually honoring his wife and elevating her status. No female spouse ever has had that honor. Perhaps it will become a tradition then and when William ascends the throne, he'll elevate Kate to the rank of being a Princess of the UK in her own right and so forth with George. To not make it a universal thing once done, its my opinion that it would significantly single out Camilla as an attempt to "punish" her because she's not fit in the public eye to be "Queen".

I do believe that when the time does come, Charles will be King and Camilla will be his Queen.
I agree with this. I do think it's sexist to have Queen Consorts, but only Prince Consort when the reigning monarch is a woman. The underlining connotation is that king and queen aren't equal. Then you add the fact if Camilla isn't Queen Consort, just make it so every one will be a Prince or Princess Consort from now on and call it a day. The distinction between them and younger siblings' spouses would just be they are prince/princess in their own right.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I'm going to be a bit fanciful here but imagine all the pearls rolling around should King Charles' will and pleasure be known that Camilla, while legally Queen, will be known as "Empress of All My World and My Life in the Hereafter".
She had held that title for a long time, but publicly got it on 9 APril 2005!

Quote:
I would think that there would be some guidelines and reason used in a monarch's will and pleasure when it comes to being the font of honor of the British monarchy.
It is the will and pleasure of the monarch as you say, and lots of judgement. No need for any formal guidelines beyond that, IMO!

Old 05-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
She had held that title for a long time, but publicly got it on 9 APril 2005!
Come to think of it, you're absolutely right about that.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Courtier

I'll be amazed (& very disappointed) if Camilla isn't styled Queen. She'll be the King's wife so she will be Queen. On what grounds should she be styled less than that?

As I've said before, I think BP could be sensitive to the title of 'The Queen' being so entrenched in almost everyone's mind as QE2 the monarch by using 'Queen Camilla' a lot to start with. I know that's not the norm but flexibility in her title due to public associations with someone else isn't something new. People would gradually become accustomed to 'Queen Camilla' and 'The King and Queen' to the point where 'The Queen' isn't going to result in too much pearl clutching in the shires.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I'll be amazed (& very disappointed) if Camilla isn't styled Queen. She'll be the King's wife so she will be Queen. On what grounds should she be styled less than that?

As I've said before, I think BP could be sensitive to the title of 'The Queen' being so entrenched in almost everyone's mind as QE2 the monarch by using 'Queen Camilla' a lot to start with. I know that's not the norm but flexibility in her title due to public associations with someone else isn't something new. People would gradually become accustomed to 'Queen Camilla' and 'The King and Queen' to the point where 'The Queen' isn't going to result in too much pearl clutching in the shires.
Agreed. There will be initial reactions, but they'll get over it. And I do think it's helpful to monarchy overall for his mother to be more known as QEII than The Queen over time. She's obviously The Queen today, but in order for monarchy to survive, we need to remember that the title outweighs the individual rather than one individual being equivalent to that title.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Even simpler would be to use the style "Queen Consort" as that denotes she's the consort to the King and not "The Queen" like QE2 is as monarch. It would probably be like marking the differences between Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. People got used to calling the latter The Queen Mum as an affectionate term and still do. Calling Camilla "The Queen" would stick in people's throats for a long time simply because the majority of the people on our planet have only known one Queen as the monarch of the UK.

I think it would take years for me to hear the words "The Queen" and *not* think of Queen Elizabeth II. Perhaps "Queen Camilla" could be used later on should she outlive her husband? "Queen Camilla" reminds me too much of the courtesy styling of a divorced wife of a title holder where the woman's first name can be used similar to Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York. I can just imagine the slants being put on that one.

Hmmmmm... Her Majesty, The Queen Consort puts me in mind of a previous Prince Consort that had a close and loving relationship with his wife and monarch, Queen Victoria.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 05-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Even simpler would be to use the style "Queen Consort" as that denotes she's the consort to the King and not "The Queen" like QE2 is as monarch. It would probably be like marking the differences between Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother. People got used to calling the latter The Queen Mum as an affectionate term and still do. Calling Camilla "The Queen" would stick in people's throats for a long time simply because the majority of the people on our planet have only known one Queen as the monarch of the UK.

I think it would take years for me to hear the words "The Queen" and *not* think of Queen Elizabeth II. Perhaps "Queen Camilla" could be used later on should she outlive her husband? "Queen Camilla" reminds me too much of the courtesy styling of a divorced wife of a title holder where the woman's first name can be used similar to Diana, Princess of Wales and Sarah, Duchess of York. I can just imagine the slants being put on that one.

Hmmmmm... Her Majesty, The Queen Consort puts me in mind of a previous Prince Consort that had a close and loving relationship with his wife and monarch, Queen Victoria.
But she would be "The Queen". I think to style her any other way would serve to diminish her rightfully attained role. And at what point do you make the transition back to The Queen? IMO, just jump right in, calling her The Queen from the beginning. The sooner she is called this, the sooner the people will get used to hearing it. Before long, it will be instant recognition as it is today.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Court Circular 29th May:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen gave an Afternoon Party in the garden of Buckingham Palace.
The Duke of Sussex, Princess Beatrice of York, Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were present.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Court Circular 29th May:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen gave an Afternoon Party in the garden of Buckingham Palace.
The Duke of Sussex, Princess Beatrice of York, Princess Eugenie, Mrs Jack Brooksbank, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent were present.
It is interesting that the Palace makes a pointto use the right style for Eugenie, but not for Archie Mountabatten-Windsor.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Archie's titles are determined by his parents at this age and it is clear that Harry and Meghan have asked for him to be styled as Master and not as Lord or Earl Dumbarton.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Archie's titles are determined by his parents at this age and it is clear that Harry and Meghan have asked for him to be styled as Master and not as Lord or Earl Dumbarton.
As the son of a Duke , he should be a Lord even if he didn’t use one of his father’s subsidiary titles as courtesy. There is no rationale to style him Master.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:58 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It is interesting that the Palace makes a pointto use the right style for Eugenie, but not for Archie Mountabatten-Windsor.
The Palace actually made a stronger point for Archie Mountbatten-Windsor's style: A statement was made and they have consistently called him Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.

By way of comparison, no statement was given on Princess Eugenie's style, and the Palace called her Princess Eugenie of York (including an entry in the Court Circular on March 21) up until some weeks ago, when her style was changed with no explanation to Princess Eugenie, Mrs. Jack Brooksbank.

Jack Brooksbank: Is there a Title in his future?
Old 05-30-2019, 05:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
As the son of a Duke , he should be a Lord even if he didn’t use one of his father’s subsidiary titles as courtesy. There is no rationale to style him Master.
He's *entitled* to be styled Earl or Lord but his parents have chosen not to, just as Camilla has chosen not to be styled Princess of Wales.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The rationale is that if Archie is known as Master, then it's the Queen's Will that he is known as that. It's the same argument why Lady Louise isn't styled as Princess of Wessex.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Majesty

I found this. Master is sometimes used in Scotland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast...ge_of_Scotland)
Old 05-30-2019, 06:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
The rationale is that if Archie is known as Master, then it's the Queen's Will that he is known as that. It's the same argument why Lady Louise isn't styled as Princess of Wessex.
As has been discussed, it seems that while Lady Louise's title seems to be a permanent one, it's not clear yet that Archie will just be 'master Archie' all his life (well, at least until he otherwise would suddenly become a (royal?) duke).
Old 05-30-2019, 06:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I found this. Master is sometimes used in Scotland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast...ge_of_Scotland)
If Master was the use of a Scottish courtesy title for the heir of a peerage, it would be, based on Scottish usages, The Master of Sussex.

The Palace statement communicated that Archie's parents "have chosen not to give him a courtesy title at this time". For him, the use of Master is the equivalent of Mister for young boys, in the same way the palace uses Master for page boys at royal weddings.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think the original comment may have been wondering as to why the Duke and Duchess of Sussex had a choice whereas Princess Eugenie did not. Archie's parents had the ability to determine how their son would be styled because the Queen allowed them the choice. A declaration of the Queen's Will would have overruled the wishes of the parents.

For Princess Eugenie, it seems she had no choice. I think it is improbable that the change from "of York" to "Mrs. Jack Brookbrank" was sought by Eugenie herself and that it was most likely the Queen's Will, for the reasons I discussed here:

Old 05-30-2019, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post

The Queen's will and pleasure extends to royal titles and styles like Prince/Princess, but not to courtesy styles in the peerage. Could the Queen decide that it is her will and pleasure that a son of an ordinary Duke be styled as Master xxxx rather than Lord xxx ? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The Palace statement communicated that Archie's parents "have chosen not to give him a courtesy title at this time". For him, the use of Master is the equivalent of Mister for young boys, in the same way the palace uses Master for page boys at royal weddings.

They may have chosen not to call him "Earl of Dumbarton", but why would they choose not to call him "Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor" rather than "Master Artchie" ?
Old 05-30-2019, 07:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
They may have chosen not to call him "Earl of Dumbarton", but why would they choose not to call him "Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor" rather than "Master Artchie" ?
I have wondered about that as well, since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex apparently have no difficulty with their son having a title. Depending on what source one believes, they have either agreed to their son using the title of Prince, or agreed to their son becoming a legal prince with the option of using the title, once his grandfather is King. If they preferred the sound of "Archie" to Dumbarton or Kilkeel, or if they wished to treat Archie the same way as any future younger siblings, Lord Archie would also be in line with those intentions.

The sole difference I can see between Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor and Master/Mr. Archie Mountbatten-Windsor is that Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor would properly be addressed using his first name as Lord Archie, while Master/Mr. Archie Mountbatten-Windsor would properly be addressed using his last name as Master/Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor.

Quote:
The Queen's will and pleasure extends to royal titles and styles like Prince/Princess, but not to courtesy styles in the peerage. Could the Queen decide that it is her will and pleasure that a son of an ordinary Duke be styled as Master xxxx rather than Lord xxx ? I don't think so.
It is left to the Queen to confer courtesy titles such as Lady and Lord on persons who are not ordinarily entitled to it, for example the siblings of a peer who inherited his peerage from his cousin. I would think it is also in her power to reverse that process.

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles