The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3761  
Old 10-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 20,193
I’m genuinely surprised that race is still being brought up, I thought in 2018 we’d be past that here.

If Henry and Meghan don’t want their children to have HRHs then their wishes will be understood and accepted. I see that as being the ONLY reason The Queen won’t grant new LPs.

What I want to know is when Charles becomes King and children are grandchildren of a monarch is the HRH elevation automatic? I presume so inline with the 1917 LPs but Henry and Meghan can refuse again perhaps.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #3762  
Old 10-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I agree, but the tabloids will have a field day about it if the baby isn’t a HRH from the start. Especially the US tabloids. Wendy Williams has already said that the reason the baby won’t get a royal title is because of the skin colour of the mother. You can say a lot of things about Wendy, but if there’s one thing she knows it’s how to cook up a storm and she has her finger on the pulse of what stories will break big in the tabloids.
American tabloids?
Since when is the organization of the Royal House and the titulature of it's members subject to tabloids?

And the argument is easily countered: the Queen's very own grandchildren Louise and James are no HRH's and as far as my eye can see, they are definitely not coloured, with that blowing away any possible absurd racial argument.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3763  
Old 10-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I’m genuinely surprised that race is still being brought up, I thought in 2018 we’d be past that here.

If Henry and Meghan don’t want their children to have HRHs then their wishes will be understood and accepted. I see that as being the ONLY reason The Queen won’t grant new LPs.

What I want to know is when Charles becomes King and children are grandchildren of a monarch is the HRH elevation automatic? I presume so inline with the 1917 LPs but Henry and Meghan can refuse again perhaps.
Yes, it is automatic when their grandfather becomes King, unless a new LP is issued
Reply With Quote
  #3764  
Old 10-21-2018, 02:52 PM
Ish's Avatar
Ish Ish is offline
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I agree, but the tabloids will have a field day about it if the baby isn’t a HRH from the start. Especially the US tabloids. Wendy Williams has already said that the reason the baby won’t get a royal title is because of the skin colour of the mother. You can say a lot of things about Wendy, but if there’s one thing she knows it’s how to cook up a storm and she has her finger on the pulse of what stories will break big in the tabloids.

I understand your point, but American tabloids should have no sway on whether or not British titles are given. If what American tabloids said were the rule of the day, then the Queen would have abdicated in favour of William long ago, Camilla would have been shipped off to rehab several times, her and Charles would have divorced, and Kate would have had no fewer than 7 sets of twin girls, all named Diana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
That is your opinion and I don't happen to share it!

This isn’t an opinion. It’s fact. Regardless of where you stand on the whole “Queen Charlotte was biracial” Theory (which is opinion), Meghan is hardly the first non-white person to marry into a European royal family in the modern era, nor even the first African-American to do so. The first AA was Angela Gisela Brown (wife of Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein). Before them, Prince Joachim of Denmark married Alexandra Manley, a biracial woman of Chinese-European ancestry who grew up in Hong Kong. Both couples had children, meaning that Baby Sussex is not the first biracial Royal at all.
Reply With Quote
  #3765  
Old 10-21-2018, 02:57 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
That is your opinion and I don't happen to share it!




My point exactly! Thank you.
How can you be blind for the obvious facts? Prince Nicolaï and Prince Felix of Denmark have a partly Chinese mother. Prince Alfonso von und zu Liechtenstein has an Afro-American mother.
Reply With Quote
  #3766  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC, United States
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
How can you be blind for the obvious facts? Prince Nicolaï and Prince Felix of Denmark have a partly Chinese mother. Prince Alfonso von und zu Liechtenstein has an Afro-American mother.
I am taking out other royals outside of the UK!! Come on!
Reply With Quote
  #3767  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:14 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
American tabloids?
Since when is the organization of the Royal House and the titulature of it's members subject to tabloids?

And the argument is easily countered: the Queen's very own grandchildren Louise and James are no HRH's and as far as my eye can see, they are definitely not coloured, with that blowing away any possible absurd racial argument.

Let's avoid the use of the word "coloured" please and thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #3768  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:23 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 2,688
I never said that the Windsors will let the tabloids set the agenda on this issue (although it has happened before) and rightly so.
The second the monarchy becomes a popularity contest it’s resting on very shaky ground as seen during the War of the Waleses.
I feel that many people fail to realise that popular or not the members of the royal family are there to support the monarch in his or her service to the nation and to preserve the monarchy. This outweighs the interests of any member who happens to be popular at the moment. As I wrote earlier popularity is a fickle thing and the Royal family is full of people who have had their time as the nations darling.
That said, I’m finally getting to my point, tabloid **** storms does impact the day to day life of the royals and the image of the Royal family and the institution in the short run. The Markle debacle this summer must’ve been hell for anyone involved. As pointed out by Richard Palmer, even if it isn’t of their own doing there’s always a risk that a scandal is what defines a member of the Royal family.
Reply With Quote
  #3769  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Netherlands
Posts: 9,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Let's avoid the use of the word "coloured" please and thank you.
I thought that was the point here otherwise Lisa Halaby, Toni Gardiner or Renate Kerkhoff would have been mentioned as well, being Caucasian ladies marrying Arab royals and giving birth to royals. But that was not the point in the discussion here. I understood the point here was: children of Harry without HRH = racism.
Reply With Quote
  #3770  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I’m genuinely surprised that race is still being brought up, I thought in 2018 we’d be past that here.
Don't be naive, racism is very much still alive.
Reply With Quote
  #3771  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Let's avoid the use of the word "coloured" please and thank you.
The poster is not an American and does not have the same negative connotation of the word-this is an international forum.
Reply With Quote
  #3772  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I agree, but the tabloids will have a field day about it if the baby isn’t a HRH from the start. Especially the US tabloids. Wendy Williams has already said that the reason the baby won’t get a royal title is because of the skin colour of the mother. You can say a lot of things about Wendy, but if there’s one thing she knows it’s how to cook up a storm and she has her finger on the pulse of what stories will break big in the tabloids.
Right. That's why I said their child not getting a royal title will send out the wrong message the other day.
Reply With Quote
  #3773  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:44 PM
ACO ACO is offline
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 2,362
I agree that the media can cause drama as pointed out with the "Well Beloved" incident that had media on both sides of the pond scrambling for answers. That literally only occurred because the US press reaction to the language thinking it was a "diss" to Meghan. So in that sense I agree with JR76.

Meghan's child not being Lady/Lord or HRH will be a talking point and unless they explain why (Sussex request) then media will come to their on conclusion and it won't be pretty. That is not saying they let the press dictate their decisions. That is ridiculous but they definitely do take the optics into consideration. They always have because they understand image is important.

The Sussex baby will be much discussed and everything will be analyze. No avoiding it. Hopefully it will get people to start to understand their rules and ways of doing things but I'm not holding my breath as we see with the protocol nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The poster is not an American and does not have the same bias against the word-this is an international forum.
Not a bias. It is offensive to me (and I am sure others). I understand it is an international board but not sure why a word that is clearly uncomfortable to a group should be accepted after it is brought to attention. That is just being respectful to each other. That isn't complicated. Sorry for the OT but I speak up when I am uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote
  #3774  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Don't be naive, racism is very much still alive.
Don't be rude.

Race has no bearing on this child getting a title or not, which is what my comment was referring to in this thread about royal titles.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #3775  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 3,213
I don’t think it is a problem to speak up- but Duc obviously did not understand why you said what you did. Explanations are useful and necessary sometimes.
Reply With Quote
  #3776  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Middlewich, United Kingdom
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I don’t think it is a problem to speak up- but Duc obviously did not understand why you said what you did. Explanations are useful and necessary sometimes.
I'm assuming my post got in the way of the one to which you are referring.
__________________
We Will Remember Them.
Reply With Quote
  #3777  
Old 10-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Nobility
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Alexandria, United States
Posts: 419
So if I'm understanding all of this correctly, the only working royal generation Charles wants to be slimmed down is that which will be under his reign. It is not a system set in stone and will revert back to including collateral grandchildren of the monarch once William ascends?
Reply With Quote
  #3778  
Old 10-21-2018, 04:20 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 14,068
Lets put it this way. If the tabloids stirring up tsunamis in teacups serve to affect the decisions by HM, The Queen on matters pertaining to the monarchy, we would be seeing Thomas Markle, Sr. being given a royal title and the Markle family with a royal Coat of Arms. There was enough stink about that to give air freshener companies a huge profit. Tabloids do what they do best. Raise a stink.

The monarchy, in and of itself, is blind to personalities, warts, character flaws, number of toes and fingers and sizes of noses. It deems what is best for the structure of the monarchy and its "Firm" to best serve the people. For this reason, it has endured for centuries and is still going strong and decisions made now will hopefully ensure that it keeps on going strong over the next generations of royals that come along. It does adapt to the changing times as we've seen but the structure of the monarchy remains cemented in its traditions, its roles and the way things are done. It serves to preserve rather than placate the sensibilities of the times.

Just my two cents worth here.
__________________
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Reply With Quote
  #3779  
Old 10-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top End, Australia
Posts: 704
Harry’s child will not be the first bi-racial child in the British Royal Family. As has been pointed out previously, Lady Davina Lewis’s husband is Maori therefore her two children were the first bi-racial children born into the British Royal Family.
Reply With Quote
  #3780  
Old 10-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,062
I do chuckle when Americans, often SO keen on 'equality', and from a country where Titles are 'verboten' have a hissy fit at the mere possibility that a child of [part] American descent might [just] be denied a 'Royal Highness'..
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non-British Styles and Titles Lord Sosnowitz Royal Ceremony and Protocol 782 10-28-2019 08:29 AM
Diana's Styles and Titles florawindsor Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 886 04-11-2019 06:26 AM
Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children Aussie Princess The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family 1897 11-29-2017 04:13 AM
Styles and Titles Nahla10 Ruling Family of Dubai 50 06-02-2017 03:28 PM
Abdication Beatrix and Inauguration WA: Titles, Names, Succession, Precedence Princess Robijn King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 67 05-24-2013 04:14 PM




Popular Tags
administrator aristocracy bavaria;house;chef;luitpold;ludwig belgian royal belgian royal family chittagong countess of snowdon countess of wessex crown prince hussein's future wife crusades current events cypher danish royalty denmark duchess of cambridge duchess of sussex duke of sussex family search french royalty friendly city future wife of prince hussein general news germany greece head of the house house of bernadotte house of grimaldi house of orange-nassau jerusalem jumma kiko king philippe lady louise mountbatten-windsor lithuania lithuanian palaces marriage mbs meghan markle monaco royal monarchist monarchy monogram mountbatten netflix nobel prize norway history official visit pakistan potential areas prince charles prince daniel prince harry princely family of monaco princess benedikte qe2 queen mathilde queen paola rania of jordan romanov family rown rumania south africa spanish royal state visit state visit to denmark sweden swedish history trump valois visit from sweden


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises
×