The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-21-2018, 02:40 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I’m genuinely surprised that race is still being brought up, I thought in 2018 we’d be past that here.

If Henry and Meghan don’t want their children to have HRHs then their wishes will be understood and accepted. I see that as being the ONLY reason The Queen won’t grant new LPs.

What I want to know is when Charles becomes King and children are grandchildren of a monarch is the HRH elevation automatic? I presume so inline with the 1917 LPs but Henry and Meghan can refuse again perhaps.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
I agree, but the tabloids will have a field day about it if the baby isn’t a HRH from the start. Especially the US tabloids. Wendy Williams has already said that the reason the baby won’t get a royal title is because of the skin colour of the mother. You can say a lot of things about Wendy, but if there’s one thing she knows it’s how to cook up a storm and she has her finger on the pulse of what stories will break big in the tabloids.
American tabloids?
Since when is the organization of the Royal House and the titulature of it's members subject to tabloids?

And the argument is easily countered: the Queen's very own grandchildren Louise and James are no HRH's and as far as my eye can see, they are definitely not coloured, with that blowing away any possible absurd racial argument.

Old 10-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
I’m genuinely surprised that race is still being brought up, I thought in 2018 we’d be past that here.

If Henry and Meghan don’t want their children to have HRHs then their wishes will be understood and accepted. I see that as being the ONLY reason The Queen won’t grant new LPs.

What I want to know is when Charles becomes King and children are grandchildren of a monarch is the HRH elevation automatic? I presume so inline with the 1917 LPs but Henry and Meghan can refuse again perhaps.
Yes, it is automatic when their grandfather becomes King, unless a new LP is issued
Old 10-21-2018, 02:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I agree, but the tabloids will have a field day about it if the baby isn’t a HRH from the start. Especially the US tabloids. Wendy Williams has already said that the reason the baby won’t get a royal title is because of the skin colour of the mother. You can say a lot of things about Wendy, but if there’s one thing she knows it’s how to cook up a storm and she has her finger on the pulse of what stories will break big in the tabloids.

I understand your point, but American tabloids should have no sway on whether or not British titles are given. If what American tabloids said were the rule of the day, then the Queen would have abdicated in favour of William long ago, Camilla would have been shipped off to rehab several times, her and Charles would have divorced, and Kate would have had no fewer than 7 sets of twin girls, all named Diana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
That is your opinion and I don't happen to share it!

This isn’t an opinion. It’s fact. Regardless of where you stand on the whole “Queen Charlotte was biracial” Theory (which is opinion), Meghan is hardly the first non-white person to marry into a European royal family in the modern era, nor even the first African-American to do so. The first AA was Angela Gisela Brown (wife of Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein). Before them, Prince Joachim of Denmark married Alexandra Manley, a biracial woman of Chinese-European ancestry who grew up in Hong Kong. Both couples had children, meaning that Baby Sussex is not the first biracial Royal at all.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
That is your opinion and I don't happen to share it!

My point exactly! Thank you.
How can you be blind for the obvious facts? Prince Nicolaï and Prince Felix of Denmark have a partly Chinese mother. Prince Alfonso von und zu Liechtenstein has an Afro-American mother.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
How can you be blind for the obvious facts? Prince Nicolaï and Prince Felix of Denmark have a partly Chinese mother. Prince Alfonso von und zu Liechtenstein has an Afro-American mother.
I am taking out other royals outside of the UK!! Come on!
Old 10-21-2018, 03:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
American tabloids?
Since when is the organization of the Royal House and the titulature of it's members subject to tabloids?

And the argument is easily countered: the Queen's very own grandchildren Louise and James are no HRH's and as far as my eye can see, they are definitely not coloured, with that blowing away any possible absurd racial argument.

Let's avoid the use of the word "coloured" please and thank you.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I never said that the Windsors will let the tabloids set the agenda on this issue (although it has happened before) and rightly so.
The second the monarchy becomes a popularity contest it’s resting on very shaky ground as seen during the War of the Waleses.
I feel that many people fail to realise that popular or not the members of the royal family are there to support the monarch in his or her service to the nation and to preserve the monarchy. This outweighs the interests of any member who happens to be popular at the moment. As I wrote earlier popularity is a fickle thing and the Royal family is full of people who have had their time as the nations darling.
That said, I’m finally getting to my point, tabloid **** storms does impact the day to day life of the royals and the image of the Royal family and the institution in the short run. The Markle debacle this summer must’ve been hell for anyone involved. As pointed out by Richard Palmer, even if it isn’t of their own doing there’s always a risk that a scandal is what defines a member of the Royal family.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
I thought that was the point here otherwise Lisa Halaby, Toni Gardiner or Renate Kerkhoff would have been mentioned as well, being Caucasian ladies marrying Arab royals and giving birth to royals. But that was not the point in the discussion here. I understood the point here was: children of Harry without HRH = racism.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Don't be naive, racism is very much still alive.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The poster is not an American and does not have the same negative connotation of the word-this is an international forum.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:42 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Right. That's why I said their child not getting a royal title will send out the wrong message the other day.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree that the media can cause drama as pointed out with the "Well Beloved" incident that had media on both sides of the pond scrambling for answers. That literally only occurred because the US press reaction to the language thinking it was a "diss" to Meghan. So in that sense I agree with JR76.

Meghan's child not being Lady/Lord or HRH will be a talking point and unless they explain why (Sussex request) then media will come to their on conclusion and it won't be pretty. That is not saying they let the press dictate their decisions. That is ridiculous but they definitely do take the optics into consideration. They always have because they understand image is important.

The Sussex baby will be much discussed and everything will be analyze. No avoiding it. Hopefully it will get people to start to understand their rules and ways of doing things but I'm not holding my breath as we see with the protocol nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
The poster is not an American and does not have the same bias against the word-this is an international forum.
Not a bias. It is offensive to me (and I am sure others). I understand it is an international board but not sure why a word that is clearly uncomfortable to a group should be accepted after it is brought to attention. That is just being respectful to each other. That isn't complicated. Sorry for the OT but I speak up when I am uncomfortable.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Don't be naive, racism is very much still alive.
Don't be rude.

Race has no bearing on this child getting a title or not, which is what my comment was referring to in this thread about royal titles.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Heir Apparent

I don’t think it is a problem to speak up- but Duc obviously did not understand why you said what you did. Explanations are useful and necessary sometimes.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
I don’t think it is a problem to speak up- but Duc obviously did not understand why you said what you did. Explanations are useful and necessary sometimes.
I'm assuming my post got in the way of the one to which you are referring.
Old 10-21-2018, 03:57 PM
Nobility

So if I'm understanding all of this correctly, the only working royal generation Charles wants to be slimmed down is that which will be under his reign. It is not a system set in stone and will revert back to including collateral grandchildren of the monarch once William ascends?
Old 10-21-2018, 04:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Lets put it this way. If the tabloids stirring up tsunamis in teacups serve to affect the decisions by HM, The Queen on matters pertaining to the monarchy, we would be seeing Thomas Markle, Sr. being given a royal title and the Markle family with a royal Coat of Arms. There was enough stink about that to give air freshener companies a huge profit. Tabloids do what they do best. Raise a stink.

The monarchy, in and of itself, is blind to personalities, warts, character flaws, number of toes and fingers and sizes of noses. It deems what is best for the structure of the monarchy and its "Firm" to best serve the people. For this reason, it has endured for centuries and is still going strong and decisions made now will hopefully ensure that it keeps on going strong over the next generations of royals that come along. It does adapt to the changing times as we've seen but the structure of the monarchy remains cemented in its traditions, its roles and the way things are done. It serves to preserve rather than placate the sensibilities of the times.

Just my two cents worth here.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-21-2018, 04:24 PM
Courtier

Harry’s child will not be the first bi-racial child in the British Royal Family. As has been pointed out previously, Lady Davina Lewis’s husband is Maori therefore her two children were the first bi-racial children born into the British Royal Family.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:31 PM
Heir Apparent

I do chuckle when Americans, often SO keen on 'equality', and from a country where Titles are 'verboten' have a hissy fit at the mere possibility that a child of [part] American descent might [just] be denied a 'Royal Highness'..

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles