The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Although no announcement was made on the day of the Cambridge wedding either. Not saying I think the Queen will issue new LP, but I wouldn't use that as saying she wouldn't.
No announcement was made at the ,Cambridge wedding because no announcement was necessary. William and Kate were married in 2011. The Succession to the Crown Act, which effectively stated that their firstborn child would be the heir. regardless of gender, wasn't passed until 2013. That's when the Queen issued Letters Patent stating all of William ,& Kate's children would be HRHs, not just the oldest son. Otherwide, if their oldest child had been a daughter, she would be the heir but not an HRH, but their oldest son would be an HRH but not the heir. The situation with Harry and Meghan's children is completely different.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Nobility

Because of who their father is and how popular he is, those children will never be able to live a normal life. Second, this is marriage is unique and this will be the first biracial royal child and it would send the wrong message if they are not granted HRH titles.

I bet the Queen will step in. Just watch.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Observer7 View Post
Because of who their father is and how popular he is, those children will never be able to live a normal life. Second, this is marriage is unique and this will be the first biracial royal child and it would send the wrong message if they are not granted HRH titles.

I’m not saying that you’re wrong, but popularity is a fickle thing.
For example we shouldn’t forget how for many years Andrew was the celebrated war hero while Sarah was seen as a breath of fresh air.
The couple was very popular and seen as more easygoing and less stuffy that the Waleses.
Things can change quickly.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:45 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
No announcement was made at the ,Cambridge wedding because no announcement was necessary. William and Kate were married in 2011. The Succession to the Crown Act, which effectively stated that their firstborn child would be the heir. regardless of gender, wasn't passed until 2013. That's when the Queen issued Letters Patent stating all of William ,& Kate's children would be HRHs, not just the oldest son. Otherwide, if their oldest child had been a daughter, she would be the heir but not an HRH, but their oldest son would be an HRH but not the heir. The situation with Harry and Meghan's children is completely different.
In that case, she could've just changed it to oldest child rather than all children.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:

It is simply not workable. Under King George VII somewhere in 2051 there is still a HRH Princess Beatrice and a HRH Princess Eugenie around. Who are they, people ask in 2051. Answer : " Eh... They happen to be daughters to one of the brothers to the grandfather of King George VII".

Saying it is already an illustration how remote this is. In other monarchies like Norway, Spain, the Netherlands they want a situation that someone who is a Princess of Norway, an Infanta of Spain, or a Princess of the Netherlands is always someone with a close bond to a (future) monarch.

I understand the Prince of Wales is thinking about downsizing and indeed, this is very wise. Limit Princes and Princesses of the UK to children of a monarch or a heir. Then there is a clearly defined lean and mean Royal House inside the wider royal family.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

as far as I know this marriage is not uninque….. one of the Lichtenstein princes is married to a woman of colour and they have a child.. and there are probably others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
For example we shouldn’t forget how for many years Andrew was the celebrated war hero while Sarah was seen as a breath of fresh air.
The couple was very popular and seen as more easygoing and less stuffy that the Waleses.
They were but only for a very short time.. now they are so unpopular that there is a certain amount of feeling against their 2 daughters.. who are HRH's..WHo can say, perhaps Meghan and Harry will be a lot less popular in a few years time....
Old 10-20-2018, 01:16 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is simply not workable. Under King George VII somewhere in 2051 there is still a HRH Princess Beatrice and a HRH Princess Eugenie around. Who are they, people ask in 2051. Answer : " Eh... They happen to be daughters to one of the brothers to the grandfather of King George VII".

Saying it is already an illustration how remote this is. In other monarchies like Norway, Spain, the Netherlands they want a situation that someone who is a Princess of Norway, an Infanta of Spain, or a Princess of the Netherlands is always someone with a close bond to a (future) monarch.

I understand the Prince of Wales is thinking about downsizing and indeed, this is very wise. Limit Princes and Princesses of the UK to children of a monarch or a heir. Then there is a clearly defined lean and mean Royal House inside the wider royal family.
Yes, but the relationship of Harry's children to King George VII will be much closer than the example above of Beatrice and Eugenie in 2051. They will be George's first cousins, and as he will be only a few years older than them and likely to live a long life, they may well not be any further from the King than first cousinship their entire lives.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

Most people wouldn't know who Princess Alexandra or Prince and Princess Michael was unless they looked it up. I think Meghan and Harry's kid(s) will be Princes/Princesses simply because Charles only has the two kids, whereas there were four royals born in his generation.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Correct though Andrew and Sarah caused their own downfall. Who knows what they could have achieved had they not been a colossal joke to many. So in that regard you are 100% correct. We have seen how "popularity" shifts so that should never be the basis of anything.

That said, I won't be surprised either way. They did it for the Cambridge children so they could all have the same title. It made sense. The Sussex children might get the treatment if they want all of Charles's grandchildren to just be HRH from birth since they will receive it anyways. Or they might just wait.

They will do what it best for all.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
In that case, she could've just changed it to oldest child rather than all children.
Yes but the fact still remains that an announcement wasn't made at the time of the wedding because no announcement was needed at that point in time. The Succession to the Crown Act changed that. As the children of a future monarch, the Cambridge children simply aren't comparable to Edward's or Harry's. There was always an expectation that they would be HRHs, either now or later.

I'd be surprised if ,the Queen stepped in and gave Harry's children the HRH at birth rather than allowing the terms of the 1917 LP play out, meaning they aren't HRHs until Charles becomes King. That gives Harry, Meghan, Charles and the other decision makers more time to work out what they want for Harry's children. If they want the HRH no announcement is necessary, they become HRHs automatically when Charles becomes King. An announcement is only necessary if they decide against it, just as an announcement regarding William's children wasn't necessary until the Succession to the Crown Act complicated their status under the terms of the 1917 LP That fact that the Queen went a step further and applied her decision to all the Cambridge children makes no difference. As we know from her decision regarding Edward's children, the same rules don't necessarily apply to the children of younger sons.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
Yes but the fact still remains that an announcement wasn't made at the time of the wedding because no announcement was needed at that point in time. The Succession to the Crown Act changed that. As the children of a future monarch, the Cambridge children simply aren't comparable to Edward's or Harry's. There was always an expectation that they would be HRHs, either now or later.

I'd be surprised if ,the Queen stepped in and gave Harry's children the HRH at birth rather than allowing the terms of the 1917 LP play out, meaning they aren't HRHs until Charles becomes King. That gives Harry, Meghan, Charles and the other decision makers more time to work out what they want for Harry's children. If they want the HRH no announcement is necessary, they become HRHs automatically when Charles becomes King. An announcement is only necessary if they decide against it, just as an announcement regarding William's children wasn't necessary until the Succession to the Crown Act complicated their status under the terms of the 1917 LP That fact that the Queen went a step further and applied her decision to all the Cambridge children makes no difference. As we know from her decision regarding Edward's children, the same rules don't necessarily apply to the children of younger sons.
Of course, you will...
Old 10-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Realistically...Charles will likely be King within the next 10 years. It wouldn't surprise me if the Queen did nothing and just let the natural progression take place. Harry's kids don't need HRH at this point..assuming Harry/Meghan even want that for their children.

I do think it's possible Harry's children will be working royals when they are of age.

LaRae
Old 10-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

"Race" has no bearing on who is an HRH. The only criterion that matters is degree of kinship to a sovereign of the United Kingdom or, in the case of William's children, to the eldest living son of the Prince of Wales.

When Charles is king, Harry's children will be HRHs as grandchildren of a sovereign in male line. There is no reason to anticipate that outcome while the Queen is still alive.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
as far as I know this marriage is not uninque….. one of the Lichtenstein princes is married to a woman of colour and they have a child.. and there are probably others...

Several royal families have interracial marriages. The Liechtensteins are one and members of the Habsburg family have married ladies of both African and Thai ancestry.
Lady Davina Windsor married Gary Lewis who’s a Maori.
Prince Joachim of Denmark married Alexandra Manley who’s partly of Chinese ancestry.
Here’s a list that have collected many of the interracial marriages of members of the royal families of the world and the European aristocracy
https://www.nettyroyalblog.nl/engage...ial-marriages/
Old 10-20-2018, 03:24 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
They will do what it best for all.
I would amend this statement to read that they will do what is best for the monarchy going into the future.

Its not about sending messages or recognizing the popularity of a person or a couple or even a PR stunt. What it *is* about is what the face of the monarchy will look like as transitions happen and Charles, then William are monarchs.

When letters patent are issued, it affects everything and are the will and pleasure of the monarch. Permanently for the most part. Biggies that involve Parliament are huge changes and don't come that often. We see the Act of Settlement still in effect from 1701. The Succession to the Crown Act was changed and amended in 2013. The Royal Marriage Act of 1772 also was amended in 2013.

Should letters patent (or the will of the monarch) become known that affects Harry and Meghan's first born child, it will be a will that will affect every child that is to come that is in the position of Harry and Meghan's first born for years to come unless a monarch issues new letters patent or makes their will known. I don't think it would be worded to be as personalized as the letters patent that were issued at the time of Edward's marriage and pertained solely to his family but it would change forevermore that all great grandchildren of a monarch in the main line of succession would have the HRH Prince/ss honorifics.

I have to know that these kind of issues were unthinkable up until this point in British history where we have a monarch that is 92 years young and still going strong and about to welcome her eighth great grandchild into the fold. So many things in Elizabeth's reign are record breaking that most likely will never be surpassed again.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-20-2018, 03:37 PM
Commoner

Aren't Louise and James legally HRH? But they just go by Lady/Viscount?

Is it possible for them in the future to choose to go by HRH Prince/princess when they are older? For example, would James' future spouse also be an HRH when they get married?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Aren't Louise and James legally HRH? But they just go by Lady/Viscount?

Is it possible for them in the future to choose to go by HRH Prince/princess when they are older? For example, would James' future spouse also be an HRH when they get married?
Its been explained in full in post #3677. One of our members wrote to Buckingham Palace about this matter and the explanation is given in full in the post I've mentioned.

They are not legally HRH and will never be.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Commoner

Their children will be HRH when Charles becomes king.

Due to the Letters Patent of 1917; none of Harry's grandchildren will be HRH. I see no reason why his children shouldn't. I think it would be wise to let the child be styled as Lady/Earl of Dumbarton. Once Charles ascends, they will probably get an upgrade. We just have to wait and see.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Of course, you will...
Yes, because it would be out of character for the Queen to finalize a decision that doesn't even need to be made until after her death. She's a very sensible person. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Commoner

Also, when James inherits the dukedom his father will receive in the future. That dukedom will become non-royal? Is that correct?

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles