The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2017, 05:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldine View Post
Camilla wouldn't want "anything done" with her. She'd go to Ray Mill and put her feet up.
yes why would anyting be "done with her"? She would still be the widow of the King.. (assuming Charles was King) and would be treated with respect and as part of the family but she would probably gradauly retire from active duties to private life...

Old 12-21-2017, 06:14 AM
Courtier

I imagine in that scenario, the most likely would be that they’d use the Alice of Gloucester precedent and she’d be styled HRH Princess Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:42 AM
Royal Highness

Assuming she had been Queen, I think she'd be known as Queen Camilla...
Old 12-21-2017, 06:43 AM
Courtier

Questions about British Styles and Titles

Of course yes, apologies, I was responding to what would happen if Charles predeceased the Queen. As the widow of a King however then she’d just be HM Queen Camilla for the rest of her life.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I would imagine that if Charles died before the Queen and still The Duke of Cornwall, then William as his heir, would not become The Duke of Cornwall as he doesn't fit the requirements of being the eldest son of the monarch and heir apparent to the Crown. Therefore, I think Camilla would retire to Ray Mill but still be styled as The Duchess of Cornwall as Charles' widow.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-21-2017, 01:17 PM
Aristocracy

What on earth is 'Ray Mill?'
Old 12-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel View Post
What on earth is 'Ray Mill?'
It's Camilla's private home.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/46...efba1cff00.jpg
Old 12-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Lol sounds like my dad grinding corn (his name was Ray!)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
When did George III's son's get their dukedoms, from their father or grandfather?

A precedent/tradition is difficult to determine. Adult sons of a Prince of Wales have not occurred very often.
The most relevant examples might be the grandsons of king George II by the prince of Wales. All younger brother's of king George III got their dukedom around their 21st birthday. Their father was never king as he passed away before their grandfather. King George III himself got his dukedom upon his father's passing, his brother Edward in the week of his 21st birthday under the reign of (grandfather) king George II) and his other brothers while he was king (again when they turned 21).

King George's sons were all born during his reign so were granted their titles by their father - his father never became king and he only got married after ascending the throne.

So yes, there is a precedent that would suggest that Harry will be granted his dukedom (upon marriage - as that seems to be the queen's time table) before his father ascends the throne (and that isn't depended on him actually being the son of a monarch. King George III's brothers never were but still received their dukedoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Since Harry may be the Kings Son within a few years, it seems absurd to make him change Titles twice in a short period... just give him Sussex on his wedding day, and 'there's an end to it', no need to faff about.
That might apply to children they might have and will certainly be the case for William, so not necessarily a problem - but no reason not just to grant him the ducsl title right away (unless they somehow like to tie it to any titles of his children - if there is no intention of making them princes and princesses ever).
Old 01-13-2018, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The most relevant examples might be the grandsons of king George II by the prince of Wales. All younger brother's of king George III got their dukedom around their 21st birthday. Their father was never king as he passed away before their grandfather. King George III himself got his dukedom upon his father's passing, his brother Edward in the week of his 21st birthday under the reign of (grandfather) king George II) and his other brothers while he was king (again when they turned 21).

King George's sons were all born during his reign so were granted their titles by their father - his father never became king and he only got married after ascending the throne.

So yes, there is a precedent that would suggest that Harry will be granted his dukedom (upon marriage - as that seems to be the queen's time table) before his father ascends the throne (and that isn't depended on him actually being the son of a monarch. King George III's brothers never were but still received their dukedoms.

There is an important difference though that King George. Ii's grandsons got their dukedoms after their father had already passed, didn't they ? Prince Charles on the other hand is obvioulsly pretty much alive
Old 01-13-2018, 11:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

Edward can’t get the Edinburgh Dukedom until the deaths of his parents because he isn’t the direct heir. There isn’t any Dukedom to give Harry after Charles becomes King that can’t be given in May. Why have the Queen given him an Earldom and then have Charles give him a Dukedom afterwards when the Queen could just do it in May.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Courtier

That is indeed a difference but the most relevant example I could find... Although I would consider his father's passing an argument against granting prince Edward his ducal titles instead of an argument in favour (as they never were children of a monarch - while Harry hopefully will be). They could easily have waited until their brother George became king (which ended up being 6 months after Edward was granted his titles) but king George II didn't see a reason to wait.

I am in no way saying that the Queen will grant Harry a ducal title for certain (as times change - for example she doesn't grant upon majority of age but upon marriage - and she'll might take other things into consideration, such as Edward's title, future titles of Harry's children etc) but there clearly is a precedent of granting monarch's grandsons by the prince of Wales a ducal title.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
That was from an ignorant tabloid. It is actually a very old title.

ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WessexWessex was an Anglo-Saxon kingdom in the south of Great Britain, from 519 until England was unified by Æthelstan in the early 10th century.
Yes I do know... but it is not a title that has been used in Lord knows how long...
It was an unusual choice..
As for Edward's choosing it, its been said on this forum that Edward asked for that title because it was in the Shakespear film. I hope that is not true..
Old 01-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Yes I do know... but it is not a title that has been used in Lord knows how long...
It was an unusual choice..
As for Edward's choosing it, its been said on this forum that Edward asked for that title because it was in the Shakespear film. I hope that is not true..
According to the Wikipedia, the last holder of the title before Edward lived in the 11th century ! Maybe i am underestimating Edward's knowledge, but I doubt he would have thought about having that particular title if it had not been used by a fictional character in the Shaskepeare in Love film .
Old 01-13-2018, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
According to the Wikipedia, the last holder of the title before Edward lived in the 11th century ! Maybe i am underestimating Edward's knowledge, but I doubt he would have thought about having that particular title if it had not been used by a fictional character in the Shaskepeare in Love film .
Earls of Wessex before Edward wasn't exactly a minor figure though - I would expect Edward to have heard of him. The last Anglo-Saxon King of England was Harold Godwinson, Earl of Wessex. His death at the Battle of Hastings is one of the most significant events in English history. Edward would have had to have been a very poor student to not know his name.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would not say that Edward was excptioanally clever but I don't believe he would have asked for the title from a movie. Its possible that someone at court suggested this rather unusual and old title, its not exacly one that the RF have used in a long time or IMO were likely to think of. I'm not sure how much it has "clung" to Edward.. I think he and his wife tend to be referred to as Edward and Sophie..
Old 01-13-2018, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Possible Dukedom for Harry and Meghan

Baby Cambridge can become Duke of Cambridge or maybe York. William will most likely be King by the time he marries so Cambridge will be free. York may also be free if Andrew has passed.

Also Lord Wessex was the bad guy in Shakespeare in Love so why would you pick your title from the bad guy.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Baby Cambridge can become Duke of Cambridge or maybe York. William will most likely be King by the time he marries so Cambridge will be free. York may also be free if Andrew has passed.
If William has another son, he probably won't get married for another 30 years as people tend to get married at an older age these days. Prince Andrew would be close to 90 years old by then, but he could still be alive, so we don't know if York will be available.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post

Also Lord Wessex was the bad guy in Shakespeare in Love so why would you pick your title from the bad guy.
Don’t they usually wait longer as the Princesses of York are still likely to be alive in 30 years.
Old 01-13-2018, 03:59 PM
Majesty

When they marry don't they give up the York title?

LaRae

Tags
british royal family, consort, kate, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles