The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-19-2017, 11:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
No, Sarah on legal paper work would have been similar. They are all the same.

HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge

HRH Princess Harry, Duchess of X

HRH Princess Andrew, Duchess of York.

But when they require a last name, their title will not work. The children of a duke use the designation. Harry Wales, George Cambridge, Beatrice York. The wives seem to use the form that divorcees use ie Catherine Elizabeth, Duchess of Cambridge. Where the title stands as the surname.
Legally though, several of the Queen's children have used Mountbatten-Windsor when a surname is required. Both Andrew and Anne signed their marriage registry with the name Mountbatten-Windsor.

I believe George's birth registry listed Kate as Catherine Elizabeth, Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Cambridge. Kate's given names were required on the birth registry and I think that is the only time it would be used like that. She would only be styled as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge if she and William divorced. William filled in the birth registry starting with "His Royal Highness" (did not use HRH at all).

In France, the lawsuit was on behalf of Catherine Middleton and William Mountbatten-Windsor.

Wikipedia (I know, not always right on the money) states:

"The British monarchy now asserts that the name Mountbatten-Windsor is used by members of the Royal Family who do not have a surname, when a surname is required."

Photo of George's birth registration:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_3694870.html

No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-19-2017, 11:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Legally though, several of the Queen's children have used Mountbatten-Windsor when a surname is required. Both Andrew and Anne signed their marriage registry with the name Mountbatten-Windsor.

I believe George's birth registry listed Kate as Catherine Elizabeth, Her Royal Highness, The Duchess of Cambridge. Kate's given names were required on the birth registry and I think that is the only time it would be used like that. She would only be styled as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge if she and William divorced. William filled in the birth registry starting with "His Royal Highness" (did not use HRH at all).

In France, the lawsuit was on behalf of Catherine Middleton and William Mountbatten-Windsor.

"The British monarchy now asserts that the name Mountbatten-Windsor is used by members of the Royal Family who do not have a surname, when a surname is required."

Photo of George's birth registration:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...n_3694870.html
Kate is listed as Catherine Elizabeth Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cambridge on both George and Charlotte's birth certificates.

However, if you look at Beatrice's birth certificate, Sarah is listed as Her Royal Highness The Duchess of York. Likewise, if you look at William's birth certificate, Diana is listed as Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales. No given names for either. Makes me wonder if William and Kate are just being different, or if the rules were changed in the 30 or so years between Beatrice and George's births. I can't find Louise or James' birth certificates online, so I'm not sure how Sophie was listed.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:03 AM

That might have to do with being the child/daughter-in-law of the Monarch vs. the Grandchild/Granddaughter-in-law of the Monarch.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Another factor is that perhaps the British registries accept British royal titles. Another thing is that perhaps the individual royals choose to use Mountbatten-Windsor over their royal styles. In Britain, its likely that both would be considered legal.

In the case of the French lawsuit, there was no choice but to use Mountbatten-Windsor. It would be the only name recognized as legal in France.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Wikipedia's source however are the LPs from 8th February 1960 which states:

Now therefore I declare My Will and Pleasure that, while I and My Children shall continue to be styled and known as the House and Family of Windsor, My descendants other than descendants enjoying the style, title or attribute of Royal Highness and the titular dignity of Prince or Princess and female descendants who marry and their descendants shall bear the name of Mountbatten-Windsor."

The date is quite interesting as I believe one of the reasons for this change is that HM was told that a child born with the mother's maiden name would be technically regarded as illegitimate and Andrew was due within weeks (born 17th February). Now how accurate that version of events is I am not sure but I suspect there may be a kernel of truth in it and hence the hyphenated name to attempt to satisfy both Philip and the Queen Mother.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:49 AM
Moderator Emeritus

It's possible there's no definite answer at all to some of these questions. English law isn't as bothered about "legal names" as some other jurisdictions are, and individuals can change their names at will simply by using the new one. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't actually any rule for how a royal mother was supposed to be listed on a birth registry, and they were just winging it every time it came up. The forms aren't really set up for this kind of thing.

On the subject of official documents, Diana's passport was in the name of "Her Royal Highness Diana Frances The Princess of Wales" inside, with "Her Royal Highness The Princess of Wales" on the cover (the name is not on the cover on current passports).
Old 12-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Nobility

If Prince Philip was to remarry after being widowed/divorced, would his new wife be a princess, seeing that Philip is a British prince in his own right? Also would she automatically be considered a member of the Royal Family?
Old 12-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Woah. Now there's a thought and its a good one.

Should Philip remarry again after the death of the Queen, with Philip being HRH Prince Philip (he wouldn't be The Prince Philip upon becoming a widower, I think??), Duke of Edinburgh and being a prince of the UK in his own right, his new wife would be HRH The Duchess of Edinburgh but would also be Princess Philip.

The Queen was a princess of the blood royal when she married so she was The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh.

I think she would be considered as much a part of the royal family as Camilla is. She would be stepmother to the King or step grandmother to the King.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Should Philip remarry again after the death of the Queen, with Philip being HRH Prince Philip (he wouldn't be The Prince Philip upon becoming a widower, I think??), Duke of Edinburgh and being a prince of the UK in his own right, his new wife would be HRH The Duchess of Edinburgh but would also be Princess Philip.

The Queen was a princess of the blood royal when she married so she was The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh.

I think she would be considered as much a part of the royal family as Camilla is. She would be stepmother to the King or step grandmother to the King.
I believe all of Philip's titles and styles would remain unchanged if he became a widower as those are personal titles granted to him in his own right by LPs and not tied to his marital status.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

The DoE was created a Prince of the United Kingdom and the Duke of Edinburgh in his own right, neither of which would be taken from him if he became a widower or divorced the Queen - unlike Sarah, Diana, the Queen Mother, his titles are his, not courtesy titles.

Thus, a second wife of his would be HRH The Princess Philip, the Duchess of Edinburgh, or more commonly HRH The Duchess of Edinburgh.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks Ish. Its always that "The" part that still comfuzzles me. He would still be The Prince Philip then. Good to know.

Old 12-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

He would continue to hold the 'The' as that is the wording in the London Gazette:

The Queen has been pleased to declare her will and pleasure that his Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh shall henceforth be known as His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Ish. Its always that "The" part that still comfuzzles me. He would still be The Prince Philip then. Good to know.
I believe (and I'm bad about getting this right) that "The Prince/The Princess" means "this person is/was the child of a monarch". So, Charles, Andrew, and Edward are all "The Prince" and Anne is "The Princess." Grandchildren and great-grandchildren have no "The" before Prince/Princess - so, William, Harry, and George are simply "Prince". Peers, however are always "The Duke/Earl/etc" regardless of any relation to the monarch - so William might "only" be "HRH Prince William", but he's also "HRH The Duke of Cambridge".

When the Queen made the DoE a British Prince she was elevating him in statu to be higher than his children - so he had to be a "The Prince".

I would expect that in the even that the DoE outlives the Queen, he'd be given a status similar to what the Queen Mother had - that is, ahead of everyone except for the King and his Consort.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

That would be a decision for the new monarch. He would actually have to make such an announcement. Maybe Charles would do that and maybe he wouldn't.

What will be even more interesting is what William would do with Camilla if she outlives Charles?
Old 12-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
That would be a decision for the new monarch. He would actually have to make such an announcement. Maybe Charles would do that and maybe he wouldn't.

What will be even more interesting is what William would do with Camilla if she outlives Charles?
Camilla wouldn't want "anything done" with her. She'd go to Ray Mill and put her feet up.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Charles will have seen Camilla financially cared for if she outlives him. She will likely retreat comfortably to Ray Mill, Dowager Queen. If she is still in good health she may continue with her patronages she is dedicated to. From time to time, she may be invited to join in on family occasions.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:23 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
If Prince Philip was to remarry after being widowed/divorced, would his new wife be a princess, seeing that Philip is a British prince in his own right? Also would she automatically be considered a member of the Royal Family?
It's interesting question. Obviously, as peer's wife his hypothetical second wife would be The Duchess of Edinburgh.

Second part is more difficult and less obvious. Would she be HRH, a princess and member of the Royal Family? There are two possible scenarios:
1) BRF/ monarch/ goverment accept her and happy for prince Philip. Then she (second wife) would be HRH The Princess Philip, the Duchess of Edinburgh and a member of BRF.
2) BRF/ monarch/ goverment don't accept this second wife. Then there is a Wallis Simpson scenario. Prince Philip still remain a prince and HRH, but a new LP prevents this second wife from sharing her husband's style of "Royal Highness". She wouldn't be a member of BRF.

Edit: I forgot about the third (catastrofic) scenario. Scandals, divorce, etc.
In this case prince Philip would lost his HRH and prince's title (new LP) . His wife would be The Duchess of Edinburgh.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:35 AM
Heir Apparent

What a thougth. Unless one is saying "what would have happened if the queen had passed away in the 70s" I cant imagine Philip at his age remarrying....
Old 12-21-2017, 03:57 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What a thougth. Unless one is saying "what would have happened if the queen had passed away in the 70s" I cant imagine Philip at his age remarrying....
It's not about the prince Philip. It's about a man in his (quite unique) position.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:07 AM
Heir Apparent

Well it is about P Philip.

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles