The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2017, 06:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
There is quite a difference between asking to renounce a title that they have been stripped off a century ago compared to a title that is currently in use. However, I don't expect the BRF to do so, as I said previously, creating a new title is far easier and less risky.
The title wasn't 'stripped' forever but only for the holder at the time. Only those specified at the time - as they had taken up arms against the UK during WWI - were actually stripped of the titles. There were four named persons only. Their descendants have always had the right to have the titles reinstated.

As a result to ask anyone to give up their rights to a title is simply a slippery slope to asking them all to do so and so the precedence is important - regardless of who the holder is.

The UK does a lot of things via precedence and not legislation so asking the descendants of Albany and Cumberland to renounce forever would simply open up possibilities that no one in the BRF or the British aristocracy would contemplate.

While there are heirs the titles remain in existence and can't be re-granted to someone else.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Nobility

Not sure why you are arguing as we are in agreement. The BRF will not ask it (for several reasons) and the descendents won't spontaneously give up their claims either, so yes, unless the claimant asks for it at some point in the future it will remain dormant.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:39 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatianacressida View Post
I did not know about Hubertus having a right to the Albany title and just not claiming it. It is pretty silly, yet I still think if I had a claim to a title, and to that one, that was Leopold's title, I would want it. Because why not?
See this wikipedia page for an overview of the current line of succession to the Albany title.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Not sure why you are arguing as we are in agreement. The BRF will not ask it (for several reasons) and the descendents won't spontaneously give up their claims either, so yes, unless the claimant asks for it at some point in the future it will remain dormant.
I am not arguing. I am discussing and explaining.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
See this wikipedia page for an overview of the current line of succession to the Albany title.
Really Wikipedia?? How reliable is that source Someone?
Old 10-28-2017, 10:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilse View Post
Wikipedia can be reliable-you have to evaluate the sources. In this instance no sources are cited so accuracy can be questioned.
That said, most pop culture Wikipedia entries are highly accurate because of fandoms. Royalty has fandoms as well and folks that know their stuff.
I am a librarian with over 28 years of experience. In some circumstances we use Wikipedia as a source.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Courtier

I can see nothing wrong with this Wiki-Article. It seems to be correct. As it follows the existing House of Sax Coburg Gotha..
Old 10-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Nobility

Please share the accurate list if you think the wikipedia one is incorrect. If it is correct (as both Nice Nofret and I believe), the personal attack was unwarranted.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
British laws don't allow to renounce a title. Only current title holder can disclaim his peerages "for life". After his death his heir inherits all titles.
This is correct. Only Parliament could terminate the dukedom.
Old 10-29-2017, 07:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilse View Post
Wikipedia is normally more reliable than commercial encylopedias in fact.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

So true. Some time ago a colleague of mine showed me an article done by a researcher at a university in the US for their Ph.D on the reliability and accuracy of various encylopediae such as Britannica and the main US one (can't remember its name) and Wikipedia came out as equally reliable. Its reliability was questioned because anyone could edit it but inaccuracies were usually picked up by other experts pretty quickly. The good point about Wiki is that it usually includes very detailed Bibliographies which show where the information came from.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
There is another factor that figures in with Wikipedia. Rather than referring to a set of encyclopedias that are in hard print that people do not tend to update and renew often, Wikipedia, as was pointed out, is ever changing as more and more information becomes available or errors are spotted.

Someone like me could edit a area about titles for a peer in the UK based on what I know and believe to be true but then, like often happens here, along comes Iluvbertie and sets the record straight and the information is more accurate.

Tags
british royal family, consort, kate, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles