The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #3141  
Old 09-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Queen Claude's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: USA, United States
Posts: 610
I believe that Harry will get a dukedom upon marriage but there is not a precedent for it since when George V got his dukedom he was the heir. Theoretically his grandmother may not grant Harry a dukedom and his wife will be Princess Henry.

If things happen as expected then William will have three dukedoms: Cambridge, Cornwall and Rothesay.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3142  
Old 09-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Claude View Post
I believe that Harry will get a dukedom upon marriage but there is not a precedent for it since when George V got his dukedom he was the heir. Theoretically his grandmother may not grant Harry a dukedom and his wife will be Princess Henry.

If things happen as expected then William will have three dukedoms: Cambridge, Cornwall and Rothesay.
Yes, I thought of that. But George was still single and only 26 when his elder brother died, and he became the heir's heir. Had his brother lived, I think he would of still became The Duke of York in QV's lifetime.

QV's youngest son was made a Duke at 28. So I think George would have been made a Duke at around the same age or at the very least when he was getting ready to marry. His brother's death just fast forwarded things a bit.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3143  
Old 09-15-2017, 11:59 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,147
Victoria gave out peerages before marriages. Eddy had a peerage. George V made Bertie and Henry Dukes well before their marriage. George was the only one that got his Dukedom around his wedding. He got it a month before.

However, we have not seen this behavior from Queen Elizabeth. Andrew, Edward and William all got their peerages on their wedding day. So it would be expected she would do the same for Harry.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3144  
Old 09-15-2017, 12:45 PM
padams2359's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 618
Let's not forget, although Harry is the second son of a future monarch, he cannot be made Duke of York until Andrew passes, and Charlotte cannot be named Princess Royal until Anne passes. If Andrew had a son, the title would probably never be available to Harry. It just so happens that the current and last Dukes of York only had daughters.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3145  
Old 09-15-2017, 03:19 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,147
Charlotte can't be named Princess Royal until her father is King, even if Anne has passed prior to that point.

With the age difference between Charles and Andrew, it's quite likely when Andrew passes William is King so Harry isn't the second son of the monarch when the York Dukedom is free. Kate could be carrying the next Duke of York right now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3146  
Old 09-16-2017, 02:00 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA, United States
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Let's not forget, although Harry is the second son of a future monarch, he cannot be made Duke of York until Andrew passes, and Charlotte cannot be named Princess Royal until Anne passes. If Andrew had a son, the title would probably never be available to Harry. It just so happens that the current and last Dukes of York only had daughters.
As has been said above, the title of Duke of York has not passed from father to son by inheritance since 1460, when Richard Duke of York was killed in battle and his son Edward Earl of March succeeded him. This Edward Duke of York became Edward IV later that same year. Since that time, all Dukes of York have either died childless or have become King, with the exception of the current Duke, Prince Andrew, who has only daughters who cannot succeed him.

My guess is that the next Duke/Duchess of York could conceivably be George's oldest child - given absolute primogeniture. Scenario: William is King and George is a young man and Prince of Wales/Duke of Cornwall. Andrew passes after a long life, leaving York vacant. At a suitable time (marriage, etc.) George's oldest child becomes Duke OR Duchess of York. That would keep the title in the royal family, becoming the "new" tradition - that Duke/Duchess of York is the title for the Sovereign's grandchild who is the Heir to the Heir.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3147  
Old 09-16-2017, 02:09 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 7,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
As has been said above, the title of Duke of York has not passed from father to son by inheritance since 1460, when Richard Duke of York was killed in battle and his son Edward Earl of March succeeded him. This Edward Duke of York became Edward IV later that same year. Since that time, all Dukes of York have either died childless or have become King, with the exception of the current Duke, Prince Andrew, who has only daughters who cannot succeed him.

My guess is that the next Duke/Duchess of York could conceivably be George's oldest child - given absolute primogeniture. Scenario: William is King and George is a young man and Prince of Wales/Duke of Cornwall. Andrew passes after a long life, leaving York vacant. At a suitable time (marriage, etc.) George's oldest child becomes Duke OR Duchess of York. That would keep the title in the royal family, becoming the "new" tradition - that Duke/Duchess of York is the title for the Sovereign's grandchild who is the Heir to the Heir.
Highly unlikely it would be George's oldest child.

Actually its highly possible it will be baby three if its a boy, George's new sibling. Or girl if they decide to join the 21st century and give daughters titles since equal inheritance. The reality is Andrew will be 58 when the kid is born. Royals are marrying older. If new baby is in his thirties when he marries, like Harry and even his dad almost, Andrew would be in his late eighties or nineties. There is no saying he will live as long as his parents.

There seems to be little reason to institute a 'new tradition'. Since George's eldest child will be prince of wales one day, the title would merge. More likely if George's new sibling is married in Andrew's life time, it will be his second child who is Duke of York.

Be nice if they joined the twenty first century, and when Charlotte married she was made duchess of x in her own right. But never holding my breath on that.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3148  
Old 09-16-2017, 02:48 PM
LauraS3514's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA, United States
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Highly unlikely it would be George's oldest child.

There seems to be little reason to institute a 'new tradition'. Since George's eldest child will be prince of wales one day, the title would merge. More likely if George's new sibling is married in Andrew's life time, it will be his second child who is Duke of York.

Be nice if they joined the twenty first century, and when Charlotte married she was made duchess of x in her own right. But never holding my breath on that.
Well, with Kent, Gloucester, and, after Edward's creation, Edinburgh, slated to leave the RF for the foreseeable future, having York "reserved" for the Heir's Heir would keep this very historic title in the family, by the fact that it does merge. Giving it to younger sons (or daughters) would see it leaving the family. Unless, of course, it is a "life" peerage, such as those in Sweden - but there has never been a "life" dukedom created in the UK.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3149  
Old 09-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st. paul, United States
Posts: 1,427
Let's assume C3 is a boy. Even if Andrew dies before he marries, and York is available, I bet he gets the Cambridge ducal title instead. It would be sentimental because of his parents, and he, himself, will have likely used Cambridge as a last name in his early years.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3150  
Old 09-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 7,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Well, with Kent, Gloucester, and, after Edward's creation, Edinburgh, slated to leave the RF for the foreseeable future, having York "reserved" for the Heir's Heir would keep this very historic title in the family, by the fact that it does merge. Giving it to younger sons (or daughters) would see it leaving the family. Unless, of course, it is a "life" peerage, such as those in Sweden - but there has never been a "life" dukedom created in the UK.
Its not that historic. It doesn't have that long of a history as a royal title. Before George V, it hadn't been used in almost 200 years. Since the Yorks came to the throne, it has only been bestowed on six.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3151  
Old 09-16-2017, 06:04 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 11,289
George III second son was the Duke of York. He died in 1828 - so hardly 'nearly 200 years' as Queen Victoria knew her Uncle Frederick who was HRH The Duke of York and regent for his older brother in Hannover.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3152  
Old 09-16-2017, 07:09 PM
Somebody's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Somewhere, Suriname
Posts: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Let's assume C3 is a boy. Even if Andrew dies before he marries, and York is available, I bet he gets the Cambridge ducal title instead. It would be sentimental because of his parents, and he, himself, will have likely used Cambridge as a last name in his early years.
Interesting idea (although the degree of sentimentality might depend on how long the duke and duchess are known by this name (and therefore their children as well). It would, however, require (next to your assumption) that William is king at that point as the title won't merge with the crown any earlier. Otherwise, they might end up with the same situation as Edward is in; a lower title, until the Cambridge title becomes available.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3153  
Old 09-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 3,550
I have read and followed the logic of the arguments on the thread stating that Harry most likely will be granted a Dukedom upon marriage, and while I understand the (apparent) inevitability of such happening, my hope for him is that he will take an earldom because I love the sound of 'Countess' (over 'Duchess').

'Countess' sounds so classy. Plus they could do the cutting-edge thing (in keeping with 'normality') and raise their children without titles (like the Wessexes are doing, like Anne did), thus preparing them for the new world they will inhabit (without royalty). JMO.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #3154  
Old 09-16-2017, 10:56 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 7,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Let's not forget, although Harry is the second son of a future monarch, he cannot be made Duke of York until Andrew passes, and Charlotte cannot be named Princess Royal until Anne passes . . . . .
Here's the thing, while you are correct that there can only be one Princess Royal at any one time, it is not an automatic title. Mary, the previous holder of that title, died in 1965 and the Queen didn't create Anne Princess Royal until 1987.

I may be that the title is bestowed when the recipient reaches her early twenties or the previous title holder dies, whichever comes first.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #3155  
Old 09-16-2017, 11:13 PM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,147
William still has to be King for Charlotte to become Princess Royal. If Anne died tomorrow, Charlotte could not become Princess Royal until she is the eldest daughter of the King.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3156  
Old 09-16-2017, 11:26 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 7,340
It could be 30 years before Charlotte would even be eligible ...or longer if Anne is as long lived as the other females in her family.


LaRae
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3157  
Old 09-17-2017, 06:11 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 183
Titles

The Wessex family do have titles for their children, Lady Louise and Viscount James. Unlike Princess Anne who, though not automatically entitled to titles for her children, could have been granted them by the Queen, but didn't want her kids to have titles.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3158  
Old 09-17-2017, 06:33 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
I have read and followed the logic of the arguments on the thread stating that Harry most likely will be granted a Dukedom upon marriage, and while I understand the (apparent) inevitability of such happening, my hope for him is that he will take an earldom because I love the sound of 'Countess' (over 'Duchess').

'Countess' sounds so classy. Plus they could do the cutting-edge thing (in keeping with 'normality') and raise their children without titles (like the Wessexes are doing, like Anne did), thus preparing them for the new world they will inhabit (without royalty). JMO.
What on earth is "classy" about the word Countess? It is just a word and since it signifies a lower rank than duke there is noway that Harry would want it for himself and his wife.
The Wessexes and their children DO have titles, they are Earl and Countess of Wessex and their children are Viscoutnt Severn and Lady Louise MB. And it is intended that in time Edward will become Duke of Edinburgh.
And since Harry's children are royal and close to the throne.. unless the monarchy ends I don't know what you mean by a new world without royalty
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3159  
Old 09-17-2017, 07:10 AM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: pinner, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,922
Quote:
a new world without royalty
Spoken like a republican .. If you dream of a World without Monarchies, why would you be on 'the Royal Forums' ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3160  
Old 09-17-2017, 08:32 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel View Post
The Wessex family do have titles for their children, Lady Louise and Viscount James. Unlike Princess Anne who, though not automatically entitled to titles for her children, could have been granted them by the Queen, but didn't want her kids to have titles.


The Wessex children were eligible to be HRH Prince/Princess. Anne's children were not ever going to be HRH Prince/Princess. So instead of being a Prince, James becomes a Duke in time and Princess Louise is Lady Louise instead. Lady is a pretty common courtesy title. Way more Ladies in the UK than Princess, Dukes aren't that common but there is no great estate tied to the title.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
british royal family, consort, kate, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Titles and Styles of Harry, his Future Wife and Children Aussie Princess Prince Harry and Meghan Markle 1897 11-29-2017 04:13 AM
Diana's Styles and Titles florawindsor Diana, Princess of Wales (1961-1997) 750 10-25-2017 04:30 PM
Styles and Titles Nahla10 Ruling Family of Dubai 50 06-02-2017 03:28 PM
Non-British Styles and Titles Lord Sosnowitz Royal Ceremony and Protocol 735 01-30-2017 02:39 PM
Abdication Beatrix and Inauguration WA: Titles, Names, Succession, Precedence Princess Robijn King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and family 67 05-24-2013 04:14 PM




Popular Tags
antony armstrong-jones birthday british royal history carl gustaf chris o'neill christening crown princess victoria current events denmark family far-right general news hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume infanta cristina infanta leonor infanta sofia iñaki urdangarín james bond kate king carl gustaf and queen silvia king felipe king felipe vi king philippe king willem-alexander letizia liechtenstein line luxembourg monarchy news opening of parliament prince alexander prince carl philip prince daniel prince felix prince gabriel prince harry prince nicholas prince oscar princessanne princess beatrice princess claire of luxembourg princess estelle princess leonore princess madeleine princess of asturias princess sofia princess sofia style princess victoria pyrmont queen elizabeth ii queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margerthe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima hats queen silvia spanish royal family events state visit stephanie sweden swedish royal family tony armstrong-jones victoria waldeck



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:34 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises