The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Both in Spain, the Netherlands and Norway, the heir apparent's children are the only grandchildren of the monarch who have princely status. That is a trend to me.

In Spain and Norway is that an actual policy, or is that simply based on a lack of male lines?

In Norway the King has two children; his son and heir and his daughter. He also has two sisters, but no brothers, and he had no paternal aunts or uncles. As titles don't typically pass through female lines the Norwegian titles being held only by the direct line doesn't mean anything unless there has been an official statement.

Likewise, in Spain, the king only has daughters and only has sisters. He had an uncle who died without issue. The lack of titles being passed on may simply be that there haven't been any men to pass on titles outside of the direct line. Once again, is there an official statement saying that in the future titles will be restricted in this way?

In the Netherlands, things are done differently, as the last monarch did have sons and titles were limited to just the direct line, but this is also a monarchy that has only had female lines for about 100 years. They're different there.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
Likewise, in Spain, the king only has daughters and only has sisters. He had an uncle who died without issue. The lack of titles being passed on may simply be that there haven't been any men to pass on titles outside of the direct line. Once again, is there an official statement saying that in the future titles will be restricted in this way?
Yes. The title of Infante or Infanta was restricted to children of the King or Queen and children of the Prince or Princess of Asturias by a royal decree published November 12, 1987. BOE.es - Documento BOE-A-1987-25284

Old 12-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Diana was called Princess Di or Princess Diana for several years on the headlines and covers of magazines and newspapers. That title was never correct either. Princess Kate is way less annoying than a paper printing Prince William and Kate Middleton to tour the U.S. when you could have just used The Cambridges or Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
'Princess Kate' is absolutely wrong way to call her. Middleton is her maiden surname and her future surname for history books. So Kate Middleton is better than artificial Princess Kate.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

What's wrong with them calling her The Duchess of Cambridge? For some reason the media think the only way to address her is by calling her 'Kate Middleton' or 'Princess Kate.' If they start printing her actual official title, eventually other media outlets will catch on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 12-04-2014, 09:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
I stopped reading when I saw "Princess Kate". If a source can't get the simple things correct, the rest is probably baloney too.
That's how People refers to her. Always. So avoid People.

It's an American thing. And it is better than the "Duchess of whassis" or "that girl that married the prince that's lost his hair."
I heard a survey the other day that said Americans thought People Magazine the most subscribed to magazine. It made me shudder.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Serene Highness

Good grief, now for sure all intelligence in this country has gone down the drain if that is the case! I think if everyone called her what she is, The Duchess of Cambridge then people would start identify her with her name, not Kate Middleton, she is married for goodness sake!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Personally, I don't understand all the fuss... To me she simply i "Kate"... I have tried to call her "Catherine" but I hve failed everytime... So I rather go with Duchess of Cambridge or Kate
Old 12-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess William is the correct form for a married woman. Just like Mrs John Smith

Kate is still a princess and peeress, she just uses the correct form
Old 12-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Princess William is the correct form for a married woman. Just like Mrs John Smith

Kate is still a princess and peeress, she just uses the correct form

Princess William is not the correct form. The Duchess of Cambridge is the correct form. If William did not have a higher title then Princess William would be correct, but as he does then that is the correct form.

This is not because she is a married woman but because she is a woman who is not by birth a British Royal. In comparison, it at no point would have been the correct form to refer to Princess Anne as Princess Timothy or Princess Mark as the correct form for a British princess by blood is Princess [Given Name] regardless of her marital status (if married her husband's title comes after her own).

However American magazines choosing to call Kate "Princess Kate" isn't the worst thing they could do - it's no more inaccurate than referring to Diana as "Princess Diana" and less inaccurate than to refer to the Queen as the Queen of England.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

The Duchess of Cambridge is the higher form but both are correct.

Princess Anne is of a higher rank than Tim, but the correct form for a married woman in Britain is Mrs John Smith, not Mrs Jane Smith

Hence Princess William and not Princess Catherine

Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia upon marriage became Princess Nicholas of Greece and Denmark
Old 12-05-2014, 03:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

How the Russians/Greeks/Danes etc referred to those who married into their families is irrelevant to the titles that a British woman would hold as each court or royal house has its own rules.

The British rules are very clear:

A Princess of the UK who is born with that title uses her own name

A married in Princess, even if a Princess in her own right in another country, uses the title of her husband - so Princess Alice of Hesse after she married was Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark but in the UK was Princess Andrew as was Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark who was The Duchess of Kent in the UK and then with special permission only allowed to use Princess Marina after she was widowed - a courtesy also extended to Alice of Gloucester but not to the Queen's own mother-in-law.

That means that a woman who marries a Prince with no peerage is Princess Husband's name while a woman who marries a Prince with a peerage would use the peerage title.

What many Americans don't 'get' is the idea that Princess is actually a lower title than that of Duchess because they don't understand that a Prince can be either a commoner or a peer (Harry is a commoner for instance while William is now a peer).
Old 12-05-2014, 08:14 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes , that is correct. My daughter is Samantha Muller, she was born a Muller but my wife is Mrs Rudolph Muller , not Karen Muller because she is a married woman that's the correct style for a married woman. Old fashioned I know but that's the British tradition.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Heir Apparent

@Iluvbertie A Princess of the UK is one who is born with that title or uses her husband's titular dignity of Prince under common law

The rest you say is correct
Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
What many Americans don't 'get' is the idea that Princess is actually a lower title than that of Duchess because they don't understand that a Prince can be either a commoner or a peer (Harry is a commoner for instance while William is now a peer).
Iluvbertie: I'm starting a charity here in the US to provide funding for all of us who care to have this tattooed on our forearms. Thanks for saying it, once again. Disney has corrupted us all.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Heir Apparent

For those who think Kate isn't a princess, a small but overlooked fact is Kate signs as 'Catherine', the prerogative of a British Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Iluvbertie: I'm starting a charity here in the US to provide funding for all of us who care to have this tattooed on our forearms. Thanks for saying it, once again. Disney has corrupted us all.
Its because the title of prince/ss is strictly a courtesy. William as a peer holds a substantive title in his own right and under the old rules would be eligible to hold a seat in the House Of Lords, unlike Prince Harry who is a commoner under the rules prior to 1999
Old 12-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
For those who think Kate isn't a princess, a small but overlooked fact is Kate signs as 'Catherine', the prerogative of a British Princess
She isn't a Princess. All the Royals just sign their Christian name as they have no need for a surname. That doesn't make her a Princess - she isn't one in her own right. The British royals dont do that.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I suggest you read the documents concerning the status of the Duke of Edinburgh back in the 50's, the Garter King of Arms points out that the Duke signs as 'Philip' and points out this is the prerogative of a British Prince
Old 12-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I suggest you read the documents concerning the status of the Duke of Edinburgh back in the 50's, the Garter King of Arms points out that the Duke signs as 'Philip' and points out this is the prerogative of a British Prince

That may be so but legally that still doesn't make her British princess. We dont call her Princess Catherine do we? No therefore she isn't a princess. She is a Princess by marriage but isn't allowed to use the style of Princess Catherine - the only ones who can are Alexandra, Anne, Beatrice, Eugenie and Louise.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

She is a Princess, If you don't want to think of her as such thats fine but we have a little thing called common law that says Catherine is a Princess and she signs accordingly
Old 12-06-2014, 06:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
She is a Princess, If you don't want to think of her as such thats fine but we have a little thing called common law that says Catherine is a Princess and she signs accordingly

What exactly does she sign as a Princess?
It's not a matter of "thinking of her as such". She isn't, she's a Princess by marriage not by birth. End of story.

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles