The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Bertie, that was beautifully put.

One correction; Frederick continued to hold the titles Duke of Cornwall and Edinburgh until his death, he just didn't use them primarily after being created Prince of Wales.

Interestingly, when he was king he created one of his brothers Duke of Edinburgh, allowing the title to continue (at least for a time).

Old 05-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Serene Highness

If William and Kate have another son, he could be named Duke of Cambridge when William is King. Since the Gloucester and Kent dukedoms have several male heirs and Andrew may still be alive so the York dukedom wouldn't be free yet.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
the fact Charles will cease to be a Prince the moment he ascends to the Throne.
IMO Charles will never cease to be a Prince as he was born one (first as the son of Princess Elizabeth, under Letters Patent by George VI and now as the son of the monarch, under letters patent by George V). And in fact, the title (or maybe style) of Prince will remain one of his most traditional, official titles (styles). It goes something like Most High, Most Mighty Prince, Lord Charles etc., etc. (not citing directly!)... We'll see or listen that surely at his accession and funeral and only on that two occassions, I think.
In the past, monarchs were always titled as Princes and Princesses and additionally, Kings and Queens of their realms, for example Princess Anne (or even Lady Anne!), Queen of Great Britain, Prince James, King of England, Prince Philip, King of Spain...
Old 05-27-2014, 07:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
I'm confused. I thought Royals take their precedence only from the Sovereign.
You're absolutely right. The official precedence among members of the Royal Family is derived strictly from their rank of kinship to the CURRENT Sovereign. However, private precedence and simply the so-called life do not cover this at all, as we see Harry taking precedence over his uncles etc.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
If William and Kate have another son, he could be named Duke of Cambridge when William is King. Since the Gloucester and Kent dukedoms have several male heirs and Andrew may still be alive so the York dukedom wouldn't be free yet.
When William becomes King, all his titles (with the exception of Prince of Wales if Charles invests him as such) will go directly to his eldest son George. In the peerage, all titles are inherited by the eldest male in relation to the title holder.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:38 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When William becomes King, all his titles (with the exception of Prince of Wales if Charles invests him as such) will go directly to his eldest son George. In the peerage, all titles are inherited by the eldest male in relation to the title holder.
When William becomes King all his titles will merge in the crown and George will become the next Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay in his right as the monarch's eldest son and heir apparent.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
When William becomes king none of his titles will go to George, with the exception of the title Duke of Cornwall. All of William's other titles will be merged with the crown, and even the title Duke of Cornwall will really be automatically recreated for George as it's not an inheritable title but one that belongs automatically to any person who meets the requirements.

In order for George to become the 2nd Duke of Cambridge William will have to die without having become King. Once he is King, he could recreate the title for George, but it's not really likely given as George will automatically be Duke of Cornwall.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
When William becomes king none of his titles will go to George, with the exception of the title Duke of Cornwall. All of William's other titles will be merged with the crown, and even the title Duke of Cornwall will really be automatically recreated for George as it's not an inheritable title but one that belongs automatically to any person who meets the requirements.

In order for George to become the 2nd Duke of Cambridge William will have to die without having become King. Once he is King, he could recreate the title for George, but it's not really likely given as George will automatically be Duke of Cornwall.
Thanks Ish. Somehow, somewhere, I forgot that one little detail about titles merging with the Crown once one becomes King.

Then it is a good possibility that William's second son (or perhaps daughter if they ever go for equal primogeniture in the peerage) could be created the Duke of Cambridge.

This is such a fascinating subject for me. More twists and turns and ins and out and hidden niches than a murder mystery sometimes.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:09 PM
Royal Highness

Edward Windsor, Baron Downpatrick, is the son of the Earl of St. Andrews.
What is the royal history of the title of Baron Downpatrick?
Prince Albert Victor, the eldest son of Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, was the Duke of Clarence and Avondale.
Has an English or Scottish prince had the title of just Duke of Avondale?
Before his wedding day in 1947, Prince Philip was granted the distinction of being addressed as His Royal Highness.
Was this necessary because he had born as a Prince of Greece and thus would have been a Royal Highness?
Old 06-13-2014, 01:19 AM
Moderator Emeritus

It doesn't have much of a royal history. The first time the title was ever granted was 1934 (alongside the dukedom of Kent and the earldom of St. Andrews), and the current Lord Downpatrick is the first person to ever use it by courtesy.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
It doesn't have much of a royal history. The first time the title was ever granted was 1934 (alongside the dukedom of Kent and the earldom of St. Andrews), and the current Lord Downpatrick is the first person to ever use it by courtesy.
Wbenson, Thank you for the information about the history of the title of Baron Downpatrick.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Nobility

I have been reading through the Monarchy Under Charles thread, and although it highly unlikely to ever happen, I have been wondering what the lives of Royals who give up their styles and titles would be like after doing so.

For instance if the Duke of York's daughter's simply became Miss or Lady Beatrice and Eugenie Windsor-Mountbatten, several years later, would they still be seen and thought of as Royals? Likewise, if Edward had simply become Mr Windsor-Mountbatten prior to marriage, and led an entirely private life, would he and his family still be seen as being royal?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I have been reading through the Monarchy Under Charles thread, and although it highly unlikely to ever happen, I have been wondering what the lives of Royals who give up their styles and titles would be like after doing so.

For instance if the Duke of York's daughter's simply became Miss or Lady Beatrice and Eugenie Windsor-Mountbatten, several years later, would they still be seen and thought of as Royals? Likewise, if Edward had simply become Mr Windsor-Mountbatten prior to marriage, and led an entirely private life, would he and his family still be seen as being royal?
Both Zara and Peter Philips have never had a title but are regularly described and/or considered as royal.

so I think the answer to your question is yes, they would be considered royal, particularly Edward as the son of a Queen Regnant

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Serene Highness

Not officially royal but member of the royal family. Like Peter and Zara, David Linley and Sarah Chatto- no royal duties but invited to royal events.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 10-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Duchess of Kent tries to not use her styles and titles in much of her life - when she does charity events and the like she asks to be introduced as Katharine, Duchess of Kent, and not HRH the Duchess of Kent. When she does royal duties it tends to be a part of the big family things, but when she gets recognition in the CC it's always with her proper titles.

I don't think there really are any ways for people who already have royal titles and status to give them up in Britain - Edward chose to have his children not be styled as royals before they were born, but he hasn't given up his own titles.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Nobility

I was wondering why Prince George doesn't use his father's subsidiary title of Earl of Strathearn? Viscount Linley and Viscount Severn use their father's second title.

Likewise, Charles was never known as Earl of Merioneth, and William was never known as Earl of Chester and Carrick.

Is there a rule on using who can and cannot use their father's subsidiary titles?
Old 11-03-2014, 06:30 PM
Serene Highness

Questions about British Styles and Titles

The simplest answer that George actually has a title which is Prince of the UK so he doesn't use a courtesy title from his father. David Armstrong Jones is styled as a son of an Earl and so is James. If Edward and Sophie didn't decided to style their kids as children of a peer instead of a prince, then James and Louise would be HRH Prince James and Princess Louise of Wessex

A courtesy title is used for children of peers who are not Prince or Princess in their own right. The Kent current generation are HRH Prince and Princess. The children of the Duke of Kent are not HRHs so they are styled as children of a Duke

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 11-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
I was wondering why Prince George doesn't use his father's subsidiary title of Earl of Strathearn? Viscount Linley and Viscount Severn use their father's second title.

Likewise, Charles was never known as Earl of Merioneth, and William was never known as Earl of Chester and Carrick.

Is there a rule on using who can and cannot use their father's subsidiary titles?

You only use courtesy titles if you don't have your own titles. George is a Prince in his own right, therefore doesn't use any titles by courtesy - likewise with William and Charles. If Andrew had had a son, the son wouldn't have used any courtesy titles either - he would have been Prince Whatever of York.

The Wessex children don't have (or don't use) their own titles, so they use courtesy titles instead - Louise is styled as the daughter of an Earl, while James uses his father's subsidiary title as the heir apparent (only the heir apparent uses subsidiary titles).
Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Courtier

The Roll of the Peerage kept at the Crown Office House of Lords records William as His Royal Highness the Prince William Arthur Philip Louis Duke of Cambridge

Also in the Roll, all the Queen's children as well as the Duke of Edinburgh have the in front of their names but the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent are just Prince without the

The Roll of the Peerage is an officially compiled and maintained list, intended to contain the names of all living peers and is maintained by Ian Denyar, Esq., M.V.O. and Grant Barvister Esq.

The Roll comprises all those Peers who have proved succession to an English, Scottish, Irish, Great Britain or United Kingdom Peerage.

I enquired about this and the reply I received said that In accordance with the direction of HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Letters Patent passed under the Great Seal of the Realm style the Duke of Cambridge as the Prince William Arthur Philip Louis as recorded in the College of Arms.

When I pointed out the announcement in the Gazette about William's dukedom omits the in front of Prince I was told this is just a shorthand announcement and was assured the LsP creating the dignity specifically style William as the Prince William.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
The Roll of the Peerage kept at the Crown Office House of Lords records William as His Royal Highness the Prince William Arthur Philip Louis Duke of Cambridge

Also in the Roll, all the Queen's children as well as the Duke of Edinburgh have the in front of their names but the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent are just Prince without the

The Roll of the Peerage is an officially compiled and maintained list, intended to contain the names of all living peers and is maintained by Ian Denyar, Esq., M.V.O. and Grant Barvister Esq.

The Roll comprises all those Peers who have proved succession to an English, Scottish, Irish, Great Britain or United Kingdom Peerage.

I enquired about this and the reply I received said that In accordance with the direction of HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN Letters Patent passed under the Great Seal of the Realm style the Duke of Cambridge as the Prince William Arthur Philip Louis as recorded in the College of Arms.

When I pointed out the announcement in the Gazette about William's dukedom omits the in front of Prince I was told this is just a shorthand announcement and was assured the LsP creating the dignity specifically style William as the Prince William.

I attended Prince William's installation as a Knight of The Thistle in 2012. The Queen said The Prince William when she was reading out his appointment so I can only presume that The Queen wouldn't get it wrong (though this does go against everything I personally thought which was only children of the Sovereign or previous Sovereigns are entitled to be the Prince/Princess).

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

God Save The Queen!

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles