The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-14-2007, 06:52 PM

A widow who remarries loses her late husband's titles. For example, Raine Spencer is not Raine Spencer at all as she married after Earl Spencer. She also then divorced her Count de Chambrun so she is Lady Dartmouth but she returned to the style of The Dowager Countess Spencer. Once you marry, you take the other persons name which is why Iona, Dowager Duchess of Argyll won't marry her Swedish partner. She'll lose her title if she does and go back to being a plain Mrs.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

Which titles are reserved for men who marry into the royal family.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:55 PM

Men get the bum deal and only get a title if the Queen offers one. Mark Phillips turned a title down, as did Angus Ogilvy. Tim Lawrence was never offered. It really depends on the monarch of the day.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr girl
1. Has any royal widow enjoyed any romance after the death of her husband?
Katherine Parr married again after the death of Henry VIII.

Outside Britain, there is Caroline of Monaco, for one.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
Katherine Parr married again after the death of Henry VIII.
Catherine Parr married Thomas, Baron Seymour of Sudeley and Lord High Admiral (younger brother of Jane Seymour, 3rd wife of Henry VIII).
Thomas Seymour's elder brother, Edward Seymour, was Lord Protector and 'ruled' in the name of Edward VI. Since Catherine was married to the younger Seymour, Anne Stanhope (Edward Seymour's wife) claimed precedence over her.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHomeNC
BeatrixFan, I thought the same thing as you, but then I read this:

If the eldest son of the Sovereign dies, his eldest son does not inherit the Dukedom. However, if the eldest son should die without children, his next brother obtains the Dukedom. Underlying these rules is the principle that only a son of the Sovereign—never a grandson, even if he is the Heir Apparent—may be Duke of Cornwall. It is possible for an individual to be Prince of Wales and Heir Apparent without being Duke of Cornwall. For example, King George II's heir-apparent, the future George III, was Prince of Wales, but not Duke of Cornwall (because he was the King's grandson, not the King's son).
STYLE AND TITLES OF THE PRINCE OF WALES
The title 'Prince of Wales' may be possessed only by the eldest son of a Sovereign.

There is no automatic succession to this title, which at every vacancy becomes merged in the Crown, and is renewed only by the Sovereign.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page5659.asp
Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Catherine Parr married Thomas, Baron Seymour of Sudeley and Lord High Admiral (younger brother of Jane Seymour, 3rd wife of Henry VIII).
Thomas Seymour's elder brother, Edward Seymour, was Lord Protector and 'ruled' in the name of Edward VI. Since Catherine was married to the younger Seymour, Anne Stanhope (Edward Seymour's wife) claimed precedence over her.
Poor Catherine...she sure didn't know how to pick a winner! What awful taste in men!

I believe there was a constant battle between Catherine (who felt as the Queen Dowager) she should take precedence over Anne. Even though she remarried.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
A widow who remarries loses her late husband's titles. For example, Raine Spencer is not Raine Spencer at all as she married after Earl Spencer. She also then divorced her Count de Chambrun so she is Lady Dartmouth but she returned to the style of The Dowager Countess Spencer. Once you marry, you take the other persons name which is why Iona, Dowager Duchess of Argyll won't marry her Swedish partner. She'll lose her title if she does and go back to being a plain Mrs.
Are you sure about it? I read once that the widow of a peer who marries a commoner retains her noble title. Have to look that question up again, though.

Here's the quote: According to Black, "[i]f marrying into a lower rank of the peerage or with a commoner [a peeress] retains her title. But this [is] by courtesy only, unless she is a peeress in her own right. " From: Titles and Forms of Address: A Guide to Their Correct Use. London: A. & C. Black Ltd., Third Edition, 1932, p. 33.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Widows who remarry lose their title and styles held through marriage. Same thing for divorcees.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:26 AM

Iona isn't a peeress in her own right but I remember there being a big bet on between a few friends of mine. Some said that she would lose the Duchess title, some said she'd keep it. We phoned Burkes and they said that she would lose her title and would become Mrs Lars Swensen and although she could use Iona, Duchess of Argyll socially and it probably wouldn't be question (a la Raine), at court she'd be presented to the Queen as Mrs Lars Swensen not as Her Grace, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Gentry

I have a doubt.. what would have happaned if The Queen had died when Charles and Diana were separated but not yet divorced.. (when she still had the tilte of HRH the princess of wales).. would she had been crown queen??..
Old 01-16-2007, 03:41 PM

No. If they legally seperated with motion to divorce then the divorce would have been rushed through and finalised and Diana would have been Diana, Princess of Wales or Charles might have granted her a peerage.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
No. If they legally seperated with motion to divorce then the divorce would have been rushed through and finalised and Diana would have been Diana, Princess of Wales or Charles might have granted her a peerage.
Well what if that didn't happen and Charles ascended the throne and Diana was crowned Queen Consort. Then they divorced would she be known as Diana, Queen Consort of G.B. or Charles would grant her, her own peerage.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

If Charles ascended the throne before they could divorce, I don't know if they would have gone through with it. I mean, have you heard of a Queen divorcing a King?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-16-2007, 05:32 PM

It doesn't work like that. You don't seperate for a laugh - you seperate to divorce. The divorce would have been rushed through. You couldn't have a Queen Consort running about who wasn't married to a King, which she wouldn't be once they divorced. The divorce would have been sped through, Diana would have been given a peerage and she wouldn't have been crowned Queen Consort.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It doesn't work like that. You don't seperate for a laugh - you seperate to divorce. The divorce would have been rushed through. You couldn't have a Queen Consort running about who wasn't married to a King, which she wouldn't be once they divorced. The divorce would have been sped through, Diana would have been given a peerage and she wouldn't have been crowned Queen Consort.

Not always. Some people do separate and then get back together. It happens quite frequently.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Morphine
If Charles ascended the throne before they could divorce, I don't know if they would have gone through with it. I mean, have you heard of a Queen divorcing a King?
King Henry VIII and the Shah of Iran divorced.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhon11234
King Henry VIII and the Shah of Iran divorced.

I guess I meant recently. I know that the King and Queen of Belgium nearly separated, but worked it out.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Not always. Some people do separate and then get back together. It happens quite frequently.
Not when you're the Prince of Wales. Once it's announced, it happens.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Not when you're the Prince of Wales. Once it's announced, it happens.

I know this is all a moot point, but don't you think it in the realm of possibility that if after they announced their separation, the Queen suddenly died and he became King, they'd rescind that?

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles