The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
Shouldn't you have learned to bow from your father? Also, I think it should have been taught much earlier, around two-ish.
Although my father knows how to bow very well (as it's not a very difficult task), mom was the one in charge to teach us good manners.

I remember my sisters having a hard time learning how to curtsy, but the two ended up doing well, when a curtsy was necessary.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Majesty

When would anyone in this day and age would need to know how to bow or curtsey?

I certainly wouldn't see a need to ever curtsey to anyone but I suppose some countries still teach their youth that they are inferior to other people while I was taught, and teach modern Australian youth, that we are all equal and that no one is better or worse than anyone else.

Anyone who bows or curtseys to another person is actually saying to that person 'I am inferior to you' and I don't believe that is the case between people.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:18 PM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=Iluvbertie;1587090]When would anyone in this day and age would need to know how to bow or curtsey?

I certainly wouldn't see a need to ever curtsey to anyone but I suppose some countries still teach their youth that they are inferior to other people while I was taught, and teach modern Australian youth, that we are all equal and that no one is better or worse than anyone else.

Anyone who bows or curtseys to another person is actually saying to that person 'I am inferior to you' and I don't believe that is the case between people.[/QUOTE

As for who would need to ever curtsey or bow - I'll take the question literally and would say ballet dancers, opera performers, entertainers generally.

It is NOT about being inferior but a mark of respect, either for the audience (as in the examples I have cited) or an individual. you speak in abolute terms and that is limiting. Perhaps you should look at a broader context

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 08-09-2013, 05:30 PM
Majesty

I still see no reason for anyone to curtsey or bow - the examples you have sited don't need to do so - and the word I used was 'need'.

They do so to say - we are better than you because we have this skill and you don't - don't think it is a mark of respect at all but them laughing at their audience.

If they didn't do it - would it matter - no. It wouldn't change the enjoyment the audience has of the performance or the appause they would give.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I still see no reason for anyone to curtsey or bow
It's a sign of respect. I never felt myself inferior while bowing.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

It could be that I've bowed more than anyone else on this forum. I've bowed to a lot of judges and magistrates in the course of my career, every time I have entered or left a courtroom when the bench was occupied, and also when a judge or magistrate entered or left the room if I was there first. In this context the bow is a sign of respect for the office and the institution, and it's really not optional for members of the legal profession, however it's more a deep bob of the head than a flourishing bow, but I've seen some rather deep bows from litigants who have no doubt been told by their lawyers that they have to bow to the judge.

I cannot imagine ever bowing to anyone else unless I chose to do so to indicate my respect for that person, but that would be a matter of personal choice. And I cannot contemplate curtseying to anyone in any circumstances.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

The BRF have always said that people are free todo what they like. they do not demand a curtsey or a bow.

if you want to ten do it, but it is a mark of respect, nothing else.

As part of my job I spent time in Poland in the 1990's when they were moving from communism to open market economics. Staff in the organisation I was with used to bow to their senior management. Even though life was changing, they saw it as respecting their knowledge and seniority. different from my world but I respected their view.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post

It's a sign of respect. I never felt myself inferior while bowing.
I have to agree, I obviously wouldn't bow to any president as it not called for but If I ever met the Queen (or any King) I would bow out of respect not because I felt Inferior to them. Americans don't have to bow or curtsey to any British Monarch if they don't wish to too. but I would bow out of respect to the Government (The monarch)

There was a uproar when Obama bowed to The Queen a few Years ago bit it is a sign of respect from one head of state to another country.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishRoyalist View Post

There was a uproar when Obama bowed to The Queen a few Years ago bit it is a sign of respect from one head of state to another country.
Or a younger man to an elderly woman?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Or a younger man to an elderly woman?
Well said. It is an example I hadn't thought of quoting but so right. TY

Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Courtier

Richard Palmer is saying that Buckingham Palace should apologize. Look like he was not paying attention back in 2011.
Peter Hunt
‏@BBCPeterHunt

What's in a name? Asked in 2011 by the BBC can't we just call William and Kate prince and princess, their spokesman, Paddy Harverson...(1/2)

Peter Hunt
‏@BBCPeterHunt

that's absolutely natural, no one's going to have any argument with that... they are happy (with Duke/Duchess title), we are happy..

Peter Hunt
‏@BBCPeterHunt

".., but if the public want to call them Prince William and Princess Catherine that's fine."
(Paddy Harverson 2011)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Serene Highness

I don't know why the press is getting so huffy about the princess thing. I am American and I even I know that Kate is Princess William of Wales but doesn't use that title. But she still is a princess of the UK because she married a prince of the UK and women in the UK take the rank of their husbands. She isn't a princess in her own right and if she divorces William she will lose the HRH like Diana and Fergie did.

Is the press going to apologize for still using Kate Middleton even after 2 + years of marriage? How about years of Princess Diana, which isn't correct anyways? Also the fact that the rest of royalty world a woman becomes Princess Name when marrying a prince doesn't help. But in the UK, sons of sovereign get peerages which they use instead of Prince Name.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

One correction. Catherine is not Princess William of Wales, because William is no longer Prince William of Wales. He ceased to be "of Wales" when he was granted a peerage in his own right.

William is HRH Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, ... etcetera. Catherine is HRH Princess William, Duchess of Cambridge, ... etc. Both have their titles shortened for regular use to simply HRH Duke/Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Majesty

The hullaballoo is because some people in the press erroneously told all and sundry that she wasn't a princess at all because they misinterpreted the statement from BP which said that to call her 'Princess William would be 'misleading''. Many in the press, and elsewhere, took the word 'misleading' to mean that she wasn't a princess whereas those of us who actually understand how these things actually work realised that what it meant was that she had a higher title to use - that of Duchess.

It people only realised that HRH The Duchess of Gloucester was known as HRH Princess Richard of Gloucester when she first married and then stopped using the term 'Princess' when her husband became a Duke they might then 'get it' - that being a Duchess in the UK is higher than Princess because it means that your husband is a peer of the realm rather than a commoner.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Palmer needs go get over it. The press don't need an apology. If they understood how titles worked this wouldn't have happened.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Palmer needs go get over it. The press don't need an apology. If they understood how titles worked this wouldn't have happened.
I think that's why he's angry- he actually broached all these points and asked for confirmation and was told that he was wrong.

But I agree that he should probably let it go
Old 08-13-2013, 02:24 AM
Majesty

It seems like we understood the royal titles better than the official royal correspondents.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 AM
Majesty

The difference is that we are actually interested in it whereas many of them fall into the job because that is where they are sent when they get to their jobs and so they may make an effort to learn the intricacies or not - it is just a job for them - for us it is a passion as well.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Commoner

Not sure this goes along with the topic but it kinda does. My Question is why does the Queen or King change their name. Example: I heard that Prince Charles would be call King William (some number). George VI real name is Albert Frederick Arthur George, Edward VII is really Albert Edward, Queen Victoria is really Alexandrina Victoria. Why did they do that? Any ideas?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Shirley View Post
Not sure this goes along with the topic but it kinda does. My Question is why does the Queen or King change their name. Example: I heard that Prince Charles would be call King William (some number). George VI real name is Albert Frederick Arthur George, Edward VII is really Albert Edward, Queen Victoria is really Alexandrina Victoria. Why did they do that? Any ideas?
There is no truth that Charles will be called something else other then his first name when he become King. It just rumors and actually it has been said he would be known as king George VII not William but again it just rumors and speculations nothing more.

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles