The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
Aristocracy

The Court Circular announcing the birth of Prince Charles began "Her Royal Highness The Princess Elizabeth, Duchess of Edinburgh, was safely delivered..." I THINK the rest was "of an infant prince at (time) today. Her Royal Highness and her son are both doing well." I don't have my books in front of me for the exact wording of the second half of the announcement, but the first part I know is correct.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:38 PM

I recently read a comment on another thread relating to the Earl and Countess of Strathearn's recent engagements in Scotland and wondering when Baron and Baroness Carrickfergus would have their first official engagements in their area. Is it correct that this is how William and Catherine will be known in Northern Ireland?

This got me to thinking, I know that The Prince of Wales is known as The Duke of Rothesay in Scotland, as this is the traditional title held by the heir to the Scottish throne, however wasn't aware that other members of the Royal Family used Scottish titles in Scotland and had always thought that they simply used their senior title? Duke of Edinburgh, Duke of York, Duke of Kent etc. Is there a historical precedent for this? I can just about see that Prince Andrew could be known as Earl of Inverness in Scotland (as he doesnt have any sons) but if Prince Richard say, were to be referred to as Baron Culloden in Scotland, this would surely cause confusion with his grandson, who uses the Baron Culloden title by curtesy?

Conversely even if using appropriate titles for the region of the UK only applies those members of the Royal Family in direct line to the throne (ie Charles and William use Scottish titles in Scotland) then shouldn't it be the same for England, Wales and Northern Ireland? If so Prince Charles would use Duke of Cornwall in England, Prince of Wales in Wales and also have a Northern Irish Title. Similarly William would need a Welsh Title to complement Cambridge, Strathearn and Carrickfergus. (I do think there was a certain irony that despite living in Wales, the titles that the Queen conferred on Prince William did not include anything to reflect this.)

Old 04-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Royal Highness

AFAIK it is not official that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge should use their "Scottish" title while in Scotland. After the Act of Union in 1701 all titles created are in the Peerage of the Uk- there cannot be new creations under Scottish or English law.

Of course the title of "The Prince of Wales"as well as the "The Duke of Cornwall" have been a title in the peerage of England before that (so they are no Welsh or Cornish titles), just like "The Duke of Rothesay" has been a title of the peerage of Scotland.

Different letters patents rule how these titles are acquired by the heir to the throne and they are used traditionally like they were used before the Act of Union. Thus, in Scotland, the title of the heir of the Throne is "Duke of Rothesay" and "The Prince of Scotland" (another of Charles' titles) while on "English soil" (including Northern Ireland) he is The Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall as heir.

But - William's as well as the other titles of the Royal family are "British titles"- all created after the Union of both kingdoms, so are valid in either. It's just the papers who want William to be recognized as the heir of the heir of Scotland as well as of England (which included Wales and Northern Ireland).
Old 04-14-2013, 02:28 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pemberley View Post
I recently read a comment on another thread relating to the Earl and Countess of Strathearn's recent engagements in Scotland and wondering when Baron and Baroness Carrickfergus would have their first official engagements in their area. Is it correct that this is how William and Catherine will be known in Northern Ireland?
That is how they should theoretically be addressed yes.

Quote:
This got me to thinking, I know that The Prince of Wales is known as The Duke of Rothesay in Scotland, as this is the traditional title held by the heir to the Scottish throne, however wasn't aware that other members of the Royal Family used Scottish titles in Scotland and had always thought that they simply used their senior title? Duke of Edinburgh, Duke of York, Duke of Kent etc. Is there a historical precedent for this? I can just about see that Prince Andrew could be known as Earl of Inverness in Scotland (as he doesnt have any sons) but if Prince Richard say, were to be referred to as Baron Culloden in Scotland, this would surely cause confusion with his grandson, who uses the Baron Culloden title by curtesy?
The Duke of Edinburgh if you notice has it's own Scottish ring to it. Andrew is more than likely to be referred to as having the title Earl of Inverness but not likely to be addressed by it. Barely anyone knows who Prince Richard is let alone his grandson so that's not an issue.

Quote:
C If so Prince Charles would use Duke of Cornwall in England, Prince of Wales in Wales and also have a Northern Irish Title. Similarly William would need a Welsh Title to complement Cambridge, Strathearn and Carrickfergus. (I do think there was a certain irony that despite living in Wales, the titles that the Queen conferred on Prince William did not include anything to reflect this.)
Prince of Wales is similar to the Crown Prince title that European heirs hold. There are stipulations to fulfil both POW and DOC, one can be POW and not be DOC etc. So Charles having two 'main' titles has it's uses. William didn't need a Wales connection as a title, he will one day be The Prince of Wales and he is the son of the current POW.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and the Duke of York are all known by their Scottish titles when undertaking engagements in Scotland. I doubt if Kent or Gloucester use their Scottish titles when in Scotland but that may be because those titles are currently being used as courtesy titles by their son or grandson. I have never seen a report of a member of the BRF using their Irish titles when undertaking engagements in Northern Ireland.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Majesty

According to the British monarchy website Andrew is referred to as Earl of Inverness in Inverness (not Scotlant) and as Baron Killyleagh when in Killyleagh but not elsewhere in Ireland.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Courtier

When Charles becomes King, do William and Catherine become Prince and Princess of Wales?

Case Histories
King Edward VII, King George V were both Prince of Wales before becoming Kings in their own right.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
When Charles becomes King, do William and Catherine become Prince and Princess of Wales?

Case Histories
King Edward VII, King George V were both Prince of Wales before becoming Kings in their own right.
Its not an automatic thing. It will depend on if Charles wants to create William the Prince of Wales.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Case Histories
It is not automatic but is within the gift of the monarch. William automatically becomes Duke of Cornwall. It is expected that he will become Prince of Wales but, for example, in the case of George V he became PoW after c. 6months.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM
Courtier

Does that mean that William and Catherine will be known as Duke and Duchess of Cornwall when Charles is King?? Where does that leave Cambridge?

King George V Prince of Wales after 6 months automatically? Do you mean 1901 after his father became King Edward VII?

As I remember King Edward VIII having to be created Prince of Wales (1911) but I don't remember George V or Edward VII having any such investiture in Wales?

Sorry, am feeling a bit confused??
Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Does that mean that William and Catherine will be known as Duke and Duchess of Cornwall when Charles is King?? Where does that leave Cambridge?
They will be The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and Cambridge.

Quote:
King George V Prince of Wales after 6 months automatically? Do you mean 1901 after his father became King Edward VII?
In November 1901, George was created Prince of Wales and Earl of Chester.

Quote:
As I remember King Edward VIII having to be created Prince of Wales (1911) but I don't remember George V or Edward VII having any such investiture in Wales?
An investiture is not required to become Prince of Wales, it is a title granted by the Monarch and can be done at anytime, anywhere.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Sorry, am feeling a bit confused??
The title of Prince of Wales is not automatic and neither is an investiture. EVII made George (later GV) PoW after c. 6 months of being King. It is entirely up to the monarch.

The heir to the throne is automatically Duke of Cornwall on the accession to the throne of the monarch. Example is when EVII became King, George became Duke of Cornwall and York (he was previously Duke of York). Rather a long title and he was generally known as Duke of Cornwall.

William will become Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge. But again it's a bit long and will probably just be known as the D of Cornwall. assuming he becomes PoW, Duke of Cornwall will be his secondary title as it is currently with Charles.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
The heir to the throne is automatically Duke of Cornwall on the accession to the throne of the monarch. Example is when EVII became King, George became Duke of Cornwall and York (he was previously Duke of York). Rather a long title and he was generally known as Duke of Cornwall.
The heir to the throne is not always automatically Duke of Cornwall. The Duke of Cornwall is always the monarch's eldest son who is also the heir to the throne. If Charles were to die before his mother then there would be no Duke of Cornwall as the monarch's eldest son would not be the heir to the throne. When the requirements for the title are met then it is automatic.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish View Post
The heir to the throne is not always automatically Duke of Cornwall. The Duke of Cornwall is always the monarch's eldest son who is also the heir to the throne. If Charles were to die before his mother then there would be no Duke of Cornwall as the monarch's eldest son would not be the heir to the throne. When the requirements for the title are met then it is automatic.
Thanks for that, but in the natural order of things, it would be as I stated.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM
Courtier

Thanks so much everyone!

Do I take it then that there is no room for doubt that Camilla will be Queen Consort as the wife of King Charles III? Despite what her critics say?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone!

Do I take it then that there is no room for doubt that Camilla will be Queen Consort as the wife of King Charles III? Despite what her critics say?
There is room for doubt. At the time of the wedding, it was reported that Camilla will be Princess Consort. This is the official line according to the FAQ on the Prince of Wales' website.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone!

Your questions will undoubtedly be moved to the appropriate thread soon, but this topic has been discussed at length in numerous places. Camilla will be the wife of the King therefore it would take an act of Parliament to deprive her of the title Queen.

You may find this thread useful; Questions about British Styles and Titles
Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Courtier

Many thanks!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thanks so much everyone!

Really? Are you seriously going to stir that hornets nest again ?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Really? Are you seriously going to stir that hornets nest again ?
I believe AngieUK was asking a genuine question, which it is.

Tags
british royal family, consort, spouse, styles and titles