Succession to the Crown Act 2013, Part 1: 2011 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
majority of politicans are amateurs (or in the Uk, failed lawyers);the recent cull of civil servants (where the most experienced left with a sigh of relief and mega-pensions) has left negliable experience in Whitehall; and asking for advice (ie constituional experts) is seen as involving consultants - a dirty word in government circles.

The article may not be made up - it could be worse. Someone involved in this has explained it to the DM and its obvious that they dont understand.

EDIT: And I find it hard to believe that David Cameron and the Queen have not discussed this during their weekly meetings.

Last edited:
Succeeding to the Canadian throne
Since the Glorious Revolution of 1688, the English Parliament — rather than the monarch — has controlled the line of succession to the throne through legislation, such as the Act of Settlement, 1701. There is therefore no question that the British Parliament must enact a law to amend the rules of succession. But what of Canada? Must we do the same? Indeed, we must, a reality that dispels any notion that the Crown is a mere symbol of Canada’s history as a British colony, and that highlights how deeply entrenched the Crown is in the Canadian constitution.
The Royal Line of Succession: Coordinating Amendments to the Act of Settlement in the 16 Commonwealth Realms | James W.J. Bowden's Blog
I support the two proposed changes. I only wish that Prime Minister Cameron in particular were willing to acknowledge that the Act of Settlement contains far more than simply the codification of male primogeniture and the penalty applied to royal marriages to Catholics. In fact, the Act of Settlement and the Bill of Rights represent the triumph of parliamentary sovereignty by vesting power in the crown-in-parliament rather than simply in the Sovereign’s person.

Prince Charles: Shake-up to let a daughter succeed to the throne 'has not been thought through' | Mail Online

As far as I am concerned the Sons' should always be given precedence over older sisters. Don't care if it is old fashioned that is how it should be left.

Sweden can keep its Queen's. Kings and Queens in a pack of card - King wins every time. That is how it should be.

A woman sovereign will never have the status of a male sovereign. On paper maybe, but that's it. My views won't change on this. I think they should leave well alone. If there are no male children born then fair enough, but if a male child comes along later, he should inherit the throne above his older sister, no question about it!

Prince Charles: Shake-up to let a daughter succeed to the throne 'has not been thought through' | Mail Online

As far as I am concerned the Sons' should always be given precedence over older sisters. Don't care if it is old fashioned that is how it should be left.

Sweden can keep its Queen's. Kings and Queens in a pack of card - King wins every time. That is how it should be.

A woman sovereign will never have the status of a male sovereign. On paper maybe, but that's it. My views won't change on this. I think they should leave well alone. If there are no male children born then fair enough, but if a male child comes along later, he should inherit the throne above his older sister, no question about it!

You're free to have your own opinion of course, but I find this view point incredibly narrow minded and very demeaning to the many, many women who have successfully occupied positions of power, including Queen Elizabeth II. I see absolutely no reason why gender discrimination should have any place in determining the sovereign and I'm thrilled that the rules are changing and this form of discrimination is being done away with.

This is in the wrong thread, but I'm interested as to why you think a woman sovereign will never have the status of a male one when the current Queen completely and utterly shatters that view point?

Oh and Sweden isn't the only one with it's Queens only Spain, the UK and Monaco left to change it's primogeniture laws in Europe.

And in both Spain and Monaco at the moment it seems that due to Semi-Salic law there will be a future female souverain.

I had to look up "hamper" because I was not sure, and I can´t believe it. Almost seems like a joke.

I'm not a native speaker either, but I understand "hamper" to be a basket filled with gifts? What is the joke?

Last edited by a moderator:
"New laws to ensure William and Kate’s first child accedes to the throne even if it is a girl will be rushed out within weeks and fast-tracked through Parliament in two days, the Standard reveals today."
Fast-track vote for Duchess of Cambridge's baby law - UK - News - London Evening Standard

It's not the "Duchess" of Cambridge's baby that needs a new law, well, it does, but shouldn't it say: "William's" baby when it comes to a potetial inheritance of the throne? For whoever William's duchess would be, as long as she is married to him and it's his child said child needs the new law.

It's not the "Duchess" of Cambridge's baby that needs a new law, well, it does, but shouldn't it say: "William's" baby when it comes to a potetial inheritance of the throne? For whoever William's duchess would be, as long as she is married to him and it's his child said child needs the new law.

Don't you know this is Catherine and the worlds baby? William's just the dad and future King. ;)

Order or birth determines priority.
Exactly as it should be. If a father has 6 sons the eldest son rightly so, should inherit the title estates. If he has only daughters the title should pass to his 2nd brother. Makes perfect sense to me.

Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice the Estate was entailed away from the daughters because there were no sons. That is how it is done. That is how it should be left.

I love the 1700's it was my favourite time period. Before anyone says go back there. I only wish I could. Time machine anyone?
I am perfectly content with the Male Hereditary Rules. Have no problem with it whatsoever. If I am alone here, then so be it. Please feel free to move this to the correct thread? I won't change my mind and would not expect you to change yours.

For those who have accepted the statements that a woman having Hyperemesis Gravidus is more likely to have a female baby, I doubt that this is based un unassailable medical facts. If this statement goes unchallenged, some people might rush to the assumption that Catherine's baby is female.

I read on the Royal Forum thread on the Japanese monarchy that doctors tinkered with the pregnancy of Princess Kiko to achieve a male baby. I was surprised at this. I had not heard this was possible. If it IS possible, it is possible the British also tinkered with this pregnancy through InVitro. I am not at all saying this happened, it would be a very far out rumor. I am not spreading a rumor, just saying this is the only way I can conceive (ha) of there being anything but guessing possible at this stage.

I had HG and I had a boy. Others here on RF had the same outcome.

Order or birth determines priority.
Exactly as it should be

Well by your statement, If a girl arrives first before 3 brothers, she should be Queen. That's the order of birth?

Funny how people say they would love to live in a certain century and how the things were done so much better back then. I always wonder if they would still feel that way after a few years in that time. We women are used to so much freedom and rights we often take it for granted. Having a job, getting married to whom ever we wanted, going wherever we want, owning property and money, the right to vote (or not), etc, etc. Women didn't have those things in the 1700...

I read on the Royal Forum thread on the Japanese monarchy that doctors tinkered with the pregnancy of Princess Kiko to achieve a male baby. I was surprised at this. I had not heard this was possible. If it IS possible, it is possible the British also tinkered with this pregnancy through InVitro. I am not at all saying this happened, it would be a very far out rumor. I am not spreading a rumor, just saying this is the only way I can conceive (ha) of there being anything but guessing possible at this stage.

Maybe it's like sea turtles, and cooler temperatures produces males. Perhaps that's what was going on in that swimming pool in France. William was saying, "Stop sunbathing. Get in that pool and keep cool. We need a boy!" :ROFLMAO: EDIT: Or maybe it was Kate saying the same thing to William, which is probably more relevant, if any of it is relevant.

Seriously though, wouldn't embryo screening be required, meaning IVF? I cannot, for one fraction of a second, imagine William and Kate consenting to that sort of invasive procedure to satisfy someone else's crazy desire for their first born to be a boy.

Last edited:
For those who have accepted the statements that a woman having Hyperemesis Gravidus is more likely to have a female baby, I doubt that this is based un unassailable medical facts. If this statement goes unchallenged, some people might rush to the assumption that Catherine's baby is female.

I had HG and I had a boy. Others here on RF had the same outcome.
I had HG and had girls:p

Don't you know this is Catherine and the worlds baby? William's just the dad and future King. ;)

No, I didn't want to know, but you are soooo right. Okay, I rest my case. :flowers:

mhh, I doubt very much angieUK would relish to be the scullery-maid in the 1700th - *lol*

I think when people imagine they would like to live in another age they imagine they would be wealthy and priviledged not working as a scullery maid or in the fields or cleaning out stables or lucky enough to make it into their 30s. The reality of such a life would be a very rude awakening.

Last edited:
For starters, I do have to commend each and every one of our fellow posters who are active on here yet English is their second language or perhaps even third. I cannot imagine faring very well should I be in the same situation and on a forum where the primary language is French, Spanish or otherwise.

English words so often have multiple meanings. A hamper could be a laundry hamper in the bathroom, a picnic hamper or a gift hamper. if it was wet and muddy, it would hamper my trek uphill. With the donation by the Duchess of Cambridge, its easy for most of us to figure out its a large container filled with things that one would need for a baby. I really do hope the auction goes very well and if I'm not mistaken, isn't there a place on EACH's website for it?

I so often too have thought I'd like to time travel back to the Jane Austen days and also the medieval period but after watching some programs where people actually did go and live that life as it would have really been, I don't think I would like it much. Things like running hot and cold water, flush toilets and food that's kept nicely in a refrigerator would be unheard of for starters.

All European royal families will have a multitude of challenges in the years ahead as the reigning Kings and Queens pass on and the new generations ascend the thrones. To become more relevant and in line with the social and political landscape will be the biggest issue for them to deal with. To not modernize the succession and have the first-born inherit the throne would make the monarchy even more irrelevant and out of touch with reality. At least the succession issue can be changed and leave one less issue that will put the whole monarchy into question.

The idea that a Queen regnant is always inferior to a King is just absurd. QEII towers over every monarch in Europe, if not the world, in my opinion, despite being female and rather diminutive in physical stature. I know she's got longevity on her side, but there's probably only one monarch in the world who could get all the other monarchs in one room - Queen Elizabeth II.

I don't know about HG, but I had far worse morning sickness with my daughter than I had with my 3 sons......make if that what you will.

Statistically speaking, it is more likely to suffer morning sickness, including the extreme HG, during a pregnancy with a girl - I think due to more hormones secreted by the female fetus.

However, while it's "more likely" it's not such a significant difference that it really tips the balance. It's just like saying that more boys are born than girls (which there are), but it's something like for every 100 girls, 101 boys are born.

I'm guessing that because Kate suffered HG, it's perhaps a few percentage points more likely that she is carrying a girl. But I certainly would not start painting nurseries pink based on that.

I think when people imagine they would like to live in another age they imagine they would be wealthy and priveledged not working as a scullery made or in the fields or cleaning out stables or lucky enough to make it into their 30s. The reality of such a life would be a very rude awakening.

The reality of the life of the wealthy and privileged would be a rude awakening as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The idea that a Queen regnant is always inferior to a King is just absurd. QEII towers over every monarch in Europe, if not the world, in my opinion, despite being female and rather diminutive in physical stature. I know she's got longevity on her side, but there's probably only one monarch in the world who could get all the other monarchs in one room - Queen Elizabeth II.
So so true!:flowers:

Agreed. She's set a very high bar for her successors.

Elizabeth I comes to mind as well.

Let's get back on topic.

The reality of the life of the wealthy and privileged would be a rude awakening as well.
Which is why I've always enjoyed watching "The 1900's House" and "The Manor House" reality shows. Take ordinary people and place them in an Edwardian era home. I especially loved on the "1900's House" the episode which showed the production company searching for a London area home which could be turned back in time and refitted for that era. Finding the artifacts to use for housekeeping, cooking etc...took the producers months. The health inspectors who arrived pronounced the place a death trap by 21st century standards. ;)

Yes, I especially loved the part about slavery.

I just want to point out that I am being sarcastic. The fact is, brown people like me were enslaved by the million. They were sexually assaulted, cheated out of billions of dollars worth of their hard-earned wages, and there are several scholars who would make a convincing argument that they were the victims of a genocide.

Angieuk, I know this isn't what you were thinking about when you brought up the 1700s, but I hope you would consider the ramifications of your reasoning.

I just want to point out that I am being sarcastic. The fact is, brown people like me were enslaved by the million. They were sexually assaulted, cheated out of billions of dollars worth of their hard-earned wages, and there are several scholars who would make a convincing argument that they were the victims of a genocide.

Angieuk, I know this isn't what you were thinking about when you brought up the 1700s, but I hope you would consider the ramifications of your reasoning.

I'm right there with you. Her post was quite honestly one of the more perplexing things I've ever read on the Royal Forums. I can't imagine why any woman would ever long for a time period when women lacked all basic rights.

Back
Top Bottom