The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Serene Highness

You certainly would hope so. However, because that the male is preferred heir to the throne in most countries (even in countries where this has changed to first born), a doctor might be tempted to do this in the case of a C-Section, even if it put the female baby at risk. Or in a case where there was a highly unlikely another pregnancy would occur. There would be a lot of moral and ethnical questions regarding this type of situation.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Brit asks Canada for help rewriting the rules of the Crown

Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy
You certainly would hope so. However, because that the male is preferred heir to the throne in most countries (even in countries where this has changed to first born), a doctor might be tempted to do this in the case of a C-Section, even if it put the female baby at risk. Or in a case where there was a highly unlikely another pregnancy would occur. There would be a lot of moral and ethnical questions regarding this type of situation.
It might put the male baby at risk to come out first depending on the relative positions etc. Besides, there are many female doctors on obstetrics and the same argument could be made about them pulling out the girl first. It's very hard to imagine where the lives of the babies and mother are at risk, that a doctor would base their decision on their own preferences regarding the gender of the future monarch.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Commoner

Faith to Faiths & Sovereignty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotroman View Post
...Another problem is succession to the peerage titles. It will be a lot harder to establish equal primogeniture in e.g. succession to the dukedom of Norfolk and other peerage titles which follow strict Salic law. The Duke of Norfolk is also the Premier Duke in the Peerage of England and that position was held only by males throughout history (indeed, when a woman inherits the highest title of a certain rank, the position of premier peer would go the male holder of the next highest title of the same rank).
Interestingly enough

The Duke of Norfolk is the premier duke in the peerage of England and also as Earl of Arundel the premier earl. The Duke of Norfolk is, moreover, the Earl Marshal and hereditary Marshal of England. The dukes have historically been Roman Catholic, a state of affairs known as recusancy in England. Despite this apparent handicap however, for Protestant England to have its highest-ranking peer remain a Roman Catholic it may have protected the dukes from further religious persecution after the reign of Elizabeth I.

Many of the Dukes of Norfolk have also been knights of the Order of the Garter. The first Earl of Norfolk dates back to the 1300's.
Some of the inheriting Dukes were second sons and there was even a great-grandson.

was there always something in the wind for changing the wording from 'Faith' to 'Faiths'
Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
Commoner

BBC News - Review could see Prince William's daughter as Queen
Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somersby Tulip View Post
There is protestant, presbetyrian, catholic, roman catholic, lutharian, orthodox and many other religions.
Presbyterian, Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist are all Protestant and Christian. Also, let's not forget Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, and Friends. They are Protestant and Christian as well.

Eastern Orthodox, is Eastern Orthodox. Roman Catholic is Roman Catholic. However both are Christian.

The following are independent religions and are not Protestant, nor are they Christian: Baha'i, Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism, Taoism, Wicca, Zoroastrianism, and Druidism (SOME INCLUDE VooDoo, which is a mix of Christian and non-Christian.)

To do this, in my opinion, the PoW would have to divest himself as Head of the Church of England.

I can see the PoW wanting to sooth all the religions in the UK, but don't know how one can do that without espousing all the belief systems that he is defending.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 AM
Aristocracy

Hi

This is my first post

Now that I have said hello, I'm all for equal primongeniture. There is no objective reason for discriminating against Females in the line of succession. It is true that favouring the oldest child is a little bit discriminatory in itself, but at least Elisabeth of Belgium's younger siblings can take heart in knowing that she is the heiress because she came along before them, and there was no reason to discriminate against her. Lady Louise, on the other hand, must grow up knowing that she was put on the backburner, soley on the basis of her gender. On the issue of the Throne not being desirable, it certainly involves a lot of pressure, but it is fair that a Royal who is not the heir would rise to the challenge if anything tragic were to happen.

As for peerages, I would love for a title to be created that could be given to the husband of a Duchess, without making him a Duke, and for fairness, the wife of a Duke, without making her a Duchess. This would allow, the royal partner to be the holder of the Duchy. I would also love to see the wife of a King be referred to as Princess Consort. It would allow Queen Regants to stand out. Until quite recently, I thought Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands was a Consort. Admitedly this was due to a lack of on my part (the Dutch Royal Family doesn't get much coverage in Australia) but has anyone ever believed King Carl Gustav of Sweden to be a consort? This is a problem.

As for the Catholic Issue. It makes sense for the head of The Church of England to be an Anglican, but marrying a Catholic should be allowed. There should be the right for the children to be raised as both, make up their minds, when old enough, and if they choose to become Catholics keep their places in the line, with a conversion being acceptable for any Catholic who becomes Sovereign.

Well thats My first
I've been browsing this place for a while, and I am so glad to be posting
Old 03-27-2011, 05:00 AM
Aristocracy

Whoops

I mean "but it is fair to assume that any Royal, who is not the heir would dutifully rise to the challenge, if something tragic were to happen"
Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 AM
Nobility

The Dutch we Canadians have a special bond with. Beatrix and her sisters lived with their mom here in Canada during the war. One of them was born here. I wonder if it will be odd to the Dutch, when Wilhelm becomes king. It will be since the 1800's since they have had a reigning king. The last was William III, who died in 1890. He had three sons with his first wife, all who died before him, two before his daughter was even born. His second wife and widow Queen Emma served as regent until 1898 when Queen Wilhemina turned 18, and was enthroned. She served as queen until her abdication in 1948. At that point the 15 monarchs on the throne when she became queen, were all dead, and only 7 european monarchies remained. Julliana, who had been in Canada during the war, took the throne and ruled until april 30 1980 when she abdicated due to illness, in favor of her eldest daughter Beatrix. She died in 2004, buried next to her mother, and her husband died eight months later and interred next to her. It will be interesting to see if Beatrix abdicates, or reigns until her death.

But with only three daughters, it is pretty clear Wilhelm will only be a break in the run of women.

Can anyone explain why his three daughters are called the three A's. His eldest is Catharina-Amalia isn't she? I'd assume she'd rule under that name.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:30 AM
Aristocracy

It certainly is interesting how The Netherlands manged to have a significant number of Queen Regnants before Male Primogeniture was abolished. Maybe they were the motivation
Old 03-28-2011, 03:43 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
It might put the male baby at risk to come out first depending on the relative positions etc. Besides, there are many female doctors on obstetrics and the same argument could be made about them pulling out the girl first. It's very hard to imagine where the lives of the babies and mother are at risk, that a doctor would base their decision on their own preferences regarding the gender of the future monarch.
OMG, I hope it would never happen. I hope no doctor would make decision which baby to pull out first based his/her beliefs about monarchy, but only based on health issues.

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 04-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Aristocracy

Can a Duchess ever be above a Duke?

Crown Princess Victoria has been The Duchess of Vastergotland since she was two, yet Prince Daniel became The Duke of Vastergotland when they wed.

Shurely the Dukedom wasn't handed over to him, given she has owned it since she was a baby

If a Duchess can be above a Duke (in a Swedish sense at least) then The British Monarchy would do well to follow Sweden's lead. It would make the gender equal inheritence of Peerages much easier
Old 04-06-2011, 12:49 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
OMG, I hope it would never happen. I hope no doctor would make decision which baby to pull out first based his/her beliefs about monarchy, but only based on health issues.
I don't think any Doctor would risk it.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

'Equal rights' move for Kate and William's children: Government examines legal change to allow first born girl to accede to throne | Mail Online

Ways of allowing a daughter born to Kate Middleton and Prince William the same rights of succession to the throne as a son are being examined by the Government, it emerged tonight.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Aristocracy

I think it would be awsome if they could change the law to allow a first born daughter the right to rule... Though I do understand that there are more pressing things, I think that compared to some stuff you see them 'discussing' is more useless then putting this on the table and finally fixing it.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Darwin View Post
Hi, This is my first post
Welcome to the Royal Forums. Since you post has stated everything that I wanted to write in my own post then I will simply state that I agree with what you've written.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Majesty

I have no real problem with equal primogeniture for the monarchy so long as it is extended to all titles e.g. Beatrice be able to inherit York.

All in the one piece of legislation - for all inheritiances the family must divide everything equally between all children and the eldest child, regardless of gender inherits any title.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Welcome to the Royal Forums. Since you post has stated everything that I wanted to write in my own post then I will simply state that I agree with what you've written.
Aww! Thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 12:59 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I have no real problem with equal primogeniture for the monarchy so long as it is extended to all titles e.g. Beatrice be able to inherit York.

All in the one piece of legislation - for all inheritiances the family must divide everything equally between all children and the eldest child, regardless of gender inherits any title.
Agreed. I am hoping that by the time of Andrew's passing, the rules will have been changed to allow Beatrice to become The Duchess of York. It wouldn't be retrospective, given that the Dukedom hasn't been promised to anyone else. This is the twenty first century now
Old 04-17-2011, 04:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

I am most definitely in favour of equal primogeniture for the monarchy, and the sooner the better. Like, next week. If it is wrapped up in a package with all the other aspects of inheritance of property and titles, it will get put on the back burner and nothing will happen, because such legislation would involve a review of the whole system. I think the issues can, and should be, severed.