The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Commoner

Whether ANY system is better than any other is surely a matter of opinion rather than a matter of fact.

several different systems have been used in the royal houses of europe. If any one was better than any other all monarchies would adopt it.

I guess what matters is whether any change would have the support of the public, the politicians, and perhaps finaly the royal family.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Well said David. It's true what you have said, any changes would have to meet with the support and approval of all three parties, not just one or two, or one alone to be successful. The Catholic question would be a can of worms that I prefer not to think about. IF Catholics were allowed to the Monarch or Heir, there is the question of what religion are any children to be raised as? The Monarch is the Head of C of E, the Catholic Church prefers all children raised as Catholic. So do any males born remain Anglican and females Catholic. What if only females are born and the next Heir to the Throne is female? The family shuffling begins and it could be mass confusion.
I honestly don't see the British Monarchy changing the succession laws for a very long time and to be honest, it doesn't bother me.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
. The Catholic question would be a can of worms that I prefer not to think about. IF Catholics were allowed to the Monarch or Heir, there is the question of what religion are any children to be raised as? The Monarch is the Head of C of E, the Catholic Church prefers all children raised as Catholic. So do any males born remain Anglican and females Catholic. What if only females are born and the next Heir to the Throne is female? The family shuffling begins and it could be mass confusion.
I really dont see this as a major problem either. There are instances of catholic and protestant royals marrying. In some cases the children have been raised as catholics and in some cases protestant. Thats a matter for the individuals concerned.

What seems to be the issue is the relationship between the Anglican Church and the Crown.

Since Henry VIII broke with Rome the Monarch has been head of the Anglican Church but that doesnt HAVE to remain so.

I'm not sure but I am assuming that other royal protestant monarchs are not head of their respective Churches. ie Norway, Danemark, Holland, Sweden. and I'm sure that was the case for former monarchies such as the previous german Kingdoms ( Bavaria, Hessen Kassel etc.)

I'm sure the Anglicans enjoy having the monarch as their head and will try and preserve that position but it doesnt HAVE to be so.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Courtier

I do not know about Holland or the German kingdoms, but the King of Norway and the Queen of Denmark are head of the Lutheran Church of Norway and of Denmark. (However, the Norwegian constitution is being altered, and soon the King will no longer be head of the church.) I'm not 100% sure about Sweden, but I think the monarch used to be head and no longer is.

In Norway the monarch is required to be Lutheran (and that requirement will be preserved in the new constitution at King Harald's express request), although I'm not sure if it applies or ever applied to the monarch's consort and family. In Denmark the monarch, and only the monarch, must be Lutheran. Thus when Margrethe married Henrik, he was not required to convert from Catholicism and did not do so immediately.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Serene Highness

In Sweden the monarch must be a Protestant Christian but not necessarily belong to the swedish church. I think that the monarch will have to remain Anglican if the church of England remains ties to the crown. There's no reason the spouse cannot be catholic though. I'm not completely sure about this but I think someone in line for the throne would not lose their place in the succession if they married someone of any other religion than RC.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It has nothing to do with sexism, it's tradition.
True..it is tradition. But it is a sexist tradition. If the British government/royal court/etc. had been concerned with tradition, the Commonwealth would not exist because they would not have violated the tradition that the inhabitants of those lands, i.e. the indigenous people, would never have been subjugated under British rule. Or, on the flip side of that, the British would never have stopped the "tradition" of expansionism and would still be looking to conquer other territories.

This is not about tradition. It is about money. The Windsors will make sure they maintain all the perks that go along with being the royal family. The parliament will continue to pay lip service to the issue rather than doing anything about it until they find some way to financially benefit from a change. It is as simple as that.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
In Sweden the monarch must be a Protestant Christian but not necessarily belong to the swedish church. I think that the monarch will have to remain Anglican if the church of England remains ties to the crown. There's no reason the spouse cannot be catholic though. I'm not completely sure about this but I think someone in line for the throne would not lose their place in the succession if they married someone of any other religion than RC.
In Seden the King and those in line of succession the King has always to profess the pure evangelical faith according to the Confession of Augfsburg. See here Article 4.
I think in the UK they could lift the bann to marrying catholics but still have the requirement that those in line of succession belong to the anglican Church. So if a member of the Royal Family marries a catholics they can choose if they want the Kids raised as protestants or that they have no succession rights.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM
Majesty

That is virtually the situation now.

The ban on marrying a Roman Catholic isn't really correct. They can marry a Roman Catholic but they lose their succession rights on doing so.

The various Kent families that are the ones that have married/converted to Roman Catholicism have raised their children as Anglicans thus giving them the chance to decide for themselves at the appropriate ages. Frederick and Gabriella of Kent have both remained Anglican while the elder children of the Earl of St Andrews have decided to put their Roman Catholic faith ahead of any chance to become the monarch. The younger daughter of the Earl is still in the line of succession as she hasn't yet been confirmed into either the Anglican or Roman Catholic faith. Although as she is attending a Roman Catholic school it is assumed that she will be confirmed RC at some point in the future. Lord Nicholas, who converted to Roman Catholicism himself, decided that he would make that decision for his children, as babies, by having them baptised as RC and so his children are not in the line of succession.

I do think that the monarch and the spouse of the monarch must be in communion with the Anglican Church, along with their children.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:24 AM
Courtier

Why do you think the monarch and the spouse should be in communion with the Anglican Church? Is it because you think that the Queen being the head of the church is a good role for the monarch to have?

I ask because I have never been certain why a monarch has to have a specific religion. Any ides on that theory as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:17 AM
Majesty

I do think that having the monarch part of a specific church that has been the national church adds to the role of the monarch in the history of the nation.
Take away that position and you take away a large part of the identity of the monarchy. They have no political power but they can be identified with the national church.
As we strip away their royalness - by marrying commoners, wanting to live without staff etc we reduce them to middle class nothings - so the Head of the Church gives them some status and another position to keep them in a place in the heart of the nation.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
They have no political power but they can be identified with the national church.
Define national church.

The vast majority of UK Citizens NEVER worship inside an anglican church.

The only time I now attend church is for someones wedding or funeral. As far as I know my children and their friends only go for the same reason, weddings and funerals.

The Idea that the Monarch HAS to be head of the church is absurd.

It may well be that Charles and William will want to continue in that role but if they chose not to I'm sure the Anglicans will manage to find someome to take up the role if they feel they must have someone in that role.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
Define national church.
I am sure that you noticed the way I worded my reference to the term national church.

That wasn't an accident.

Quote:
The vast majority of UK Citizens NEVER worship inside an anglican church.
You point...

It is a national church not because of who worships there but because the leaders are involved in the government of the country. You are aware I am sure that the House of Lords still includes the 'Lords Spiritual'.

Quote:
The only time I now attend church is for someones wedding or funeral. As far as I know my children and their friends only go for the same reason, weddings and funerals.
I am sure that you represent the majority of modern people who have lost their faith - and I have no problem with that.

Quote:
The Idea that the Monarch HAS to be head of the church is absurd.
Why?

If you are going to have an anachronistic institution like a monarchy then that monarchy should have certain standards that have applied for generations. To do away with some of the trappings of monarchy is to diminish that institution further and hence we can do away with the institution (and the sooner the better I say) but if we are going to have it then ensure that it maintains the standards of the past. One of the arguments I keep hearing is that the monarchy gives a sense of continuation and history to the nation so being part of the church that helped build that nation is part of that continuation and history.

Quote:
It may well be that Charles and William will want to continue in that role but if they chose not to I'm sure the Anglicans will manage to find someome to take up the role if they feel they must have someone in that role.
It won't be up to them to end it but Parliament. Parliament gave the monarch the title of Supreme Governor of the Church of England in 1559 so the only way to take that title is to have Parliament remove it - and consequently debate the role of the monarch - something they are loathe to have happen.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:40 AM
Serene Highness

Doesn't Charles want to change the title of the monarch from defender of the faith to defender of faith? The implication being that he would be fine not being head of the church of England?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

History. There was a time in Europe, a mere few hundred years ago, and in many places in the world today, when your religion was a matter of life or death. It made sense for there to be national churches after the Protestant Reformation. For one thing, it meant that nations would be free to run their own religious affairs independent of Rome. It made sense that the monarch would support the state religion, and, in some cases, enforce it. Although the countries that are monarchies in Europe today have freedom of religion, the monarchies are still figureheads in the national church although they don't have anything to do with determining doctrine and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I ask because I have never been certain why a monarch has to have a specific religion. Any ides on that theory as well.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Doesn't Charles want to change the title of the monarch from defender of the faith to defender of faith? The implication being that he would be fine not being head of the church of England?

Charles made that comment about 17 years ago and basically hasn't said anything about it since. It was greeted very badly at the time by the powers that have a say in these things.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I do think that having the monarch part of a specific church that has been the national church adds to the role of the monarch in the history of the nation.

Take away that position and you take away a large part of the identity of the monarchy. They have no political power but they can be identified with the national church.

As we strip away their royalness - by marrying commoners, wanting to live without staff etc we reduce them to middle class nothings - so the Head of the Church gives them some status and another position to keep them in a place in the heart of the nation.
You make a good point about the evolution or de-evolution of the royal family depending on who they marry.

The Head of the Church role does give them some status but I wonder if that status will change as people stop going to church. I know in America that church attendance was down. I don't know if that is the case in England.

Do you think it matters if the church was a nondenominational church? I don't have much info on how popular the changing of the rules could be. I know you mentioned that Charles' choice of defender of faith was not well received 17 years ago. I wonder though if people would feel differently about that today giving changing attitudes toward religion.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness

Royal succession challenge passes first test
Royal succession challenge passes first test | Reuters
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Oh my! If equal primo ever becomes succession law, there will be many apples falling off the cart.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Oh my! If equal primo ever becomes succession law, there will be many apples falling off the cart.
The only "apples" falling off the cart are likely to be the York girls. Now that is a shocker, is it not?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Aristocracy

Could the first child (if female) of William and Kate become Queen

An interesting clip on Australian Television suggested the Constitution could be changed so that the first born of William and Kate - even if female - could become Queen. Here is the link.
Could Prince William's first-born daughter be first in line for the throne? | Ministry of Gossip | Los Angeles Times