The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Many members of the Cof E never get confirmed, unlike the RCC church where everyone gets confirmed at about 9 or 10 years of age.

I grew up catholic and you don't get confirmed till you're a teenager. At 9 or 10 you would have just made your first confession and communion(ages for this differ in different countries, younger in the US but older in my birth country of Poland).

Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
I grew up catholic and you don't get confirmed till you're a teenager. At 9 or 10 you would have just made your first confession and communion(ages for this differ in different countries, younger in the US but older in my birth country of Poland).
Anglicans (at least in the Anglican Church of Australia) you can't take "Communion until after Confirmation.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Anglicans (at least in the Anglican Church of Australia) you can't take "Communion until after Confirmation.
This seems to depend on the Diocese. In Perth children can take communion under some circumstances: First Holy Communion | Baptisms - St. Georges Cathedral Perth
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Some protestant denominations do not baptize babies. They only baptize people after a certain age when they understand what baptism is and can make the decision for themselves. And the orthodox churches give communion to babies after baptism.
This is how my denomination does things. We have Baby Dedications once a year; a ceremony of sorts where the congregation would pray for the child and for his/her parent(s) for God's wisdom and guidance. But baptism is reserved for when they understand what it is and what it represents. Then it's up to the person themselves if they wish to be baptized.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Majesty

The rule in the Anglican Church in Australia used to be 'no communion until after confirmation' and then in the mid-90s it started to change with different diocese allowing pre-confirmed children to take communion (I was a member of the synod in Sydney at the time of the vote). My local minister was totally opposed to it. Generally speaking most Anglicans don't take communion until after confirmation - because that is what their parents did so they don't advocate the new approach.

Baptism is very much something that the RC promoted in the dark and middle ages when there was a very high mortality rate in infants but by the time of the reformation that rate had dropped somewhat (no where near today's levels of course but it was dropping). Confirmation is simply a person agreeing to take on the vows that were made for it at baptism anyway - 'confirming the vows' and so if a denomination or culture doesn't do infant baptism but does adult baptism when the person is old enough to make that decision for themselves there is no need for a separate confirmation ceremony.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

Some protestant denominations do not baptize babies. They only baptize people after a certain age when they understand what baptism is and can make the decision for themselves. And the orthodox churches give communion to babies after baptism.
I think people use the word Protestant too loosely. The only Protestant churches are those churches that grew out of the Reformation, as in protest. There are some Christian churches, such as several Baptist, denominations that do not baptize babies.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Serene Highness

If the Cambridge baby is a girl, and if the parliaments have not settled the question yet, then the big question will be this: will Kate and William then have a boy who precedes the first born girl? If they have another girl, same situation as E-beth and Margaret, if the Cambridges hold to their two-child plans.
Sort of seems like a game of chess. So I see why Roslyn hopes it will be a boy. Of course this child will not become monarch for perhaps 50 years, so when thinking about names think of ones that go well with Princess and Prince. We will mostly all be gone to our reward before the child becomes monarch, unless crazy circumstances emerge, which has happened. Prince William of Gloucester passing on at 30 changed that family dramatically, losing charismatic Prince William of G. and gaining the steady calm Richard of Gloucester, his great wife Birgitta, and their three interesting children. The unexpected can be scary but fascinating.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
So I see why Roslyn hopes it will be a boy.
Roslyn hopes it will be a girl.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM
Majesty

The law will be passed - but the fact remains that for the other realms if the first child is a boy they will put it on the back burner.

It isn't all that urgent anyway and in 50 years or so the British population will possibly be even a majority Muslim country meaning that a woman probably wouldn't be acceptable anyway.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It isn't all that urgent anyway and in 50 years or so the British population will possibly be even a majority Muslim country meaning that a woman probably wouldn't be acceptable anyway.
Benazir Bhutto was elected President of Pakistan and that is a Muslim country.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

As well as Benazir Bhutto, who was twice (non-consecutively) elected Prime Minister of Pakistan, Megawati Sukanoputri (Indonesia), Khaleda Zia & Sheikh Hasina (Bangladesh), and Tansu Ciller (Turkey), were all elected leaders of their Muslim or Muslim-majority nations.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Serene Highness

Not to mention that I see no reason to believe, that the UK will be a Muslim majority country in fifty years anyway.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Commoner

If this change is made, if the monarch is a queen, will her husband then become king consort? Seems like if they are trying to make things 'equal', then it should be.

Also will the Duke of York's oldest daughter then also become Duke of York one day? Once again, it seems like if they are trying to make things 'equal' then it should be.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Heir Apparent

The answer to both your questions is no. The bill is only about succession to the crown, not the title of a monarchs spouse nor succession to hereditary peerages.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:41 PM
Nobility

Are there any plans to change the gender rules for the Dukedom of Cornwall for females, for the titles of husbands of blood princesses (would they become Princes?) and even for the rules surrounding male line grandchildren? The current situation is unfair to female line grandchildren of the monarch.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent

No such plans have been mentioned. I doubt there will be any plans to increase the number of princes and pricnesses by allowing a monarchs daughters to pass such titles to her children.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal-blue View Post
Are there any plans to change the gender rules for the Dukedom of Cornwall for females, for the titles of husbands of blood princesses (would they become Princes?) and even for the rules surrounding male line grandchildren? The current situation is unfair to female line grandchildren of the monarch.
Regarding the Duchy of Cornwall (and the PoW title), I suspect they'll be addressed in time when there actually is a female heir (or even a female heir of an heir). Right now the holder of both titles is male, as is his heir, so there's no need to change anything yet.

As for the husbands of blood princesses and their children, there's also no need to change things yet. On the one hand, there is a definite push to see the BRF downsized, and on the other hand the grandchildren of the Queen who don't have princely titles don't seem to be bothered by their lack of titles. The Queen is reported as having offered to give Anne's husbands (or at least the first one), and Anne's son titles, all of which were turned down. As both the Yorks seem to be leading more private lives, I doubt either of them cares if their future husbands or children have princely titles either.

The only point at which this would actually become an issue is if William's eldest is a girl, but it's likely that LPs will be issued to cover her spouse and children when she gets around to having either, as was done with Elizabeth herself.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

And we may be about to find out whether that eldest child is a girl or not. I believe the debate will heat up a little bit more if the baby is a girl.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:54 PM
Heir Apparent

As long as the heiress apparent receives the income from the Duchy I cannot see a major case for also giving her the ducal title. Charles only uses it when in the duchy but there is no real reason for it.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKaimi View Post
And we may be about to find out whether that eldest child is a girl or not. I believe the debate will heat up a little bit more if the baby is a girl.
I can't see there being a huge debate about the future titles of a newborn's husband or children, or for that matter the titles of said newborn after 2 people die.

But then, we seem to be having such a debate now, so...

For the Duchy of Cornwall, it doesn't become an issue until the Queen and Charles die. The Cambridge Baby, regardless of gender, cannot hold the title until William is king. I can see the issue being discussed under Charles' reign (if Cambridge is a girl), but not sooner. I do think it's likely to be changed so that a daughter of the monarch can hold it, but not until such a time as it becomes more relevant.

For the spouse and children of a female Baby Cambridge: we already know that in the case of a female heir LPs can be issued, and will likely be issued, to allow their spouse and children to have an HRH and princely titles. That happened with Elizabeth (I doubt a repetition of the spouse being an HRH but not a prince will happen). It only seems logical that in the future, if Baby C is female then when she gets married LPs will be issued to cover her spouse and children. At that time, they may even issue LPs that are broader, allowing for all female heir apparents to have their spouses and children be HRH Prince(ss). Female Baby C is covered in this department.